How do you know when you are getting along in years?

5,553 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by OdontoBear66
SFCityBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's when you look at the Fan Poll on the Bear Insider, and you have never heard of a single one of the choices:

Which of these iconic former Cal eateries/drinking holes do you miss the most?
Manuel's
Comeback Inn
La Val's Southside
Blondie's
Fat Slice

For me it is Oscar's hot dog place on Bancroft, Si's at Telegraph and Ashby, La Val's on Northside, and Kip's on Durant. Fortunately, I never had to eat a meal at Wilson's on University Ave.
Big Dog
a tie for those gone: Kips and LaVals

But numero uno is still Top Dawg. (I'd rather go there than Chez Panisse.)
Marty
I liked both LaVal's, along with Kip's. Way back in the day, there was a funky euro coffee shop (before that was a thing) on Hearst, just around the corner from LaVal's north and next to the parking garage. In the 70s and 80s, it was still unique, and had a great vibe. Great place to stop before walking to the game.
59bear
SFCityBear said:

It's when you look at the Fan Poll on the Bear Insider, and you have never heard of a single one of the choices:

Manuel's
Comeback Inn
La Val's Southside
Blondie's
Fat Slice

For me it is Oscar's hot dog place on Bancroft, Si's at Telegraph and Ashby, La Val's on Northside, and Kip's on Durant. Fortunately, I never had to eat a meal at Wilson's on University Ave.

I think Wilson's was the first place I had a burger in Berkeley, sometime during my senior year of HS when on a campus visit. Also where I had my first chili size. There was a hotdog place on Durant (north side, near the hotel) the name of which I can't recall.
bearister
"You know you are getting old when everything either dries up or leaks."
Will Rogers

"You know you are being a life pig when sugar and salt kick your a$$ and it hurts when you pee."
Sam Kinison
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
wifeisafurd
I started feeling old when I went to CP instead of TD.
MSaviolives
59bear said:

SFCityBear said:

Manuel's
Comeback Inn
La Val's Southside
Blondie's
Fat Slice

I think Wilson's was the first place I had a burger in Berkeley, sometime during my senior year of HS when on a campus visit. Also where I had my first chili size. There was a hotdog place on Durant (north side, near the hotel) the name of which I can't recall.
I know that Oscar's used to be located on Bancroft or Durant before its owner, Bob Malin, moved to Hearst and Shattuck, making me wonder whether the place you remember was the original Oscar's location. Now, of course, Top Dog is the iconic hot dog place on Durant. [Edited to note that SFCityBear recalls it being on Bancroft, so I may be off base here]
bearister
What was the name of the burger and shake place a half block or so above Shattuck that had a drive in vibe? My dad took me there before we went to the Kennedy Games Track Meet when the Guard occupied Berkeley in 1969.
harebear
Kim's Super Burrito
Mario's La Fiesta
Spenger's
Brennan's
Healthy Heavenly Foods (was a food truck for a while and also a restaurant inside the ASUC building. I liked their very well-priced Vietnamese sandwiches)

kelly09
Calypso said:

Kim's Super Burrito
Mario's La Fiesta
Spenger's
Brennan's
Healthy Heavenly Foods (was a food truck for a while and also a restaurant inside the ASUC building. I liked their very well-priced Vietnamese sandwiches)

Breakfast at Wilkinson's on Saturday morning. Hanging out at Kips.
rothforever
The mid-70's versions of Comeback Inn, Kips, Spengers, Sandwich A Go Go and of course Top Dog when the sausages were a healthy portion! Don't forget Fenton's!
hanky1
When I was a student I loved all these places. But now that I am older, wiser, and more refined in my tastes....all these places are awful.

It reminds me of Chucky E Cheese pizza. Every 5 year old loves Chucky E Cheese pizza but eat that shiet as an adult and you realize how god awful it is.
bonsallbear
The New Monk on University It's where CC&R first performed. And Giant Burger just down from LaVals
GivemTheAxe
SFCityBear said:

Manuel's
Comeback Inn
La Val's Southside
Blondie's
Fat Slice

La Val's Northside is still there one of my favorite hangouts before or after FB games.
92GoBears92
Nation's Giant burger on Durant
Steve s Korean bbq

Loved Mario's La Fiesta ... was the first place near campus I ate. That time, I had flautas and ended up getting a toothpick stuck in the roof of my mouth. But that did not stop me.

Funny, Spengers gave me a special gift in my food... a cigarette butt. The only good thing about that was that our entire table of 10 got comped because of that. Never went back.
SFCityBear
MSaviolives said:

59bear said:

SFCityBear said:

Manuel's
Comeback Inn
La Val's Southside
Blondie's
Fat Slice

I know that Oscar's used to be located on Bancroft or Durant before its owner, Bob Malin, moved to Hearst and Shattuck, making me wonder whether the place you remember was the original Oscar's location. Now, of course, Top Dog is the iconic hot dog place on Durant. [Edited to note that SFCityBear recalls it being on Bancroft, so I may be off base here]
The Oscar's I remember was on Bancroft just west of the SAE fraternity, where I lived for a year. Oscar's was in a parking lot, and was a tiny building made of concrete block, I used to go down there late at night to get a cheese dog, and never had a better one than that.
SFCityBear
GivemTheAxe said:

SFCityBear said:

Manuel's
Comeback Inn
La Val's Southside
Blondie's
Fat Slice

La Val's Northside is still there one of my favorite hangouts before or after FB games.
No kidding? I'll have to stop by and check it out.
BearlyCareAnymore
You can always tell who the drinkers are by who puts Kips on any list. Some of the most dreadful food I've ever had. Kips entire reason for existence was cheap beer, nonexistent carding policy, next to the dorms.
MSaviolives
SFCityBear said:

MSaviolives said:

59bear said:

SFCityBear said:

Manuel's
Comeback Inn
La Val's Southside
Blondie's
Fat Slice

The Oscar's I remember was on Bancroft just west of the SAE fraternity, where I lived for a year. Oscar's was in a parking lot, and was a tiny building made of concrete block, I used to go down there late at night to get a cheese dog, and never had a better one than that.
Robert (Oscar) Malin, who owned Oscars at that time and until about 2010, was a great guy. He flew bomber missions over Europe in WWII, got shot down and spent time in a German stalag. Eventually he got a business degree at Cal on the GI Bill, and then opened Oscars. He was a great Bear fan and a wonderful boss for my first "paycheck" job when I was in high school.
TheSouseFamily
hanky1 said:

When I was a student I loved all these places. But now that I am older, wiser, and more refined in my tastes....all these places are awful.

It reminds me of Chucky E Cheese pizza. Every 5 year old loves Chucky E Cheese pizza but eat that shiet as an adult and you realize how god awful it is.

First of all, it's Chuck E. Cheese, not Chucky E Cheese.

Secondly, don't knock it. You can have a lot of quality fun there.

When I was in b-school in my late 20s, my roommate mentioned that his favorite bday party as a kid was at CEC so his girlfriend planned his 28th bday at the CEC in Durham, NC as a bit of a joke (and not an unreasonable ask given that they do sell pitchers of beer). We ate bad pizza, drank pitchers of beer, played video games, including some impressive jet ski and snowmobile video games that certainly didn't exist when I was a kid. I'm not sure management or other families appreciated our group but we had a lot of fun.

When it came time to open a few bday presents, he opened one from his girlfriend which, as a gag, was a large butt plug (possibly XL). We all laughed and passed it around, marveling at the size of it and the purpose of the suction cup at the bottom of it. When it got to me, I pretended like I was a rhinoceros and put the suction cup on my forehead. When I pulled it off, it left a hickey that lasted about 5 days. It was very tough to explain to others later how I got this mark on my forehead.

Anyway, we all had a blast at Chuck E Cheese that night. So, don't knock it. And I'm sorry; what was this thread about again?
oskidunker
OaktownBear said:

You can always tell who the drinkers are by who puts Kips on any list. Some of the most dreadful food I've ever had. Kips entire reason for existence was cheap beer, nonexistent carding policy, next to the dorms.
Not true. Kips had awesome charcoal grilled cheeseburgers from 1966-70. Also we used to always take the kids there for Pizza. Was also very good An italian guy name Joe ran it then. The charcoal grill was downstairs..of Course no one mentioned Pizza Haven, downstairs in the alley from Kips to Bancroft.
bearister
Pizza Haven didn't card. I had many an unlawful heat on there...even in high school. Drank at La Vals in high school too. Standard order for two: large pizza and 3 pitchers.
wifeisafurd
OaktownBear said:

Ah, the memories. Some of the cheapest beer and dates were at Kips. They did serve decent burgers and pizza, but I went there for the beer. (There is a Brett Kavanaugh joke somewhere there). Brought my parents there once. Dad loved it after he got over the shock of being asked to pay before the food and beer arrived. Mom, ...not so much. She also didn't like that some buzzed girls knew my name, and let us males at the table know that. My father, who was chatting-up some buxom sorority girls at the time, then suggested that the place reminded him of where he first met my mother. The sorority girls thought it was romantic. My mother mentioned something about neutering.

SFCityBear
OaktownBear said:

I must be older than you, because those dorms next to Kips had not been built yet when I was a freshman living at Putnam Hall east a couple of blocks on Channing Way in 1959, the first year that dorm opened. And in those days, Kip's made a pretty decent burger. As soon as Si's opened, we trucked on over there, because their burger was even better, and it stayed that way for years. LaVals was mostly for pizza, and for beer and fights between Joe Kapp and the football players vs the South Americans (mostly from Peru) who played in the band at LaVal's on the weekends. I avoided the fights at all costs, because Joe Kapp was my idol, and and the Peruvians were all my friends, because I worked with some of them hashing for meals at Bayview Terrace, a girl's boarding house up on Warring.

As to burgers, there was no better burger than the "Liz Burger", where Elizabeth, the cook at Bayview Terrace used to turn them out, 40 at a time for the girls and a few for the hashers. She used some great spices and cheese and made them in the oven. One day, one of the Liz burgers fell on the floor. Charlie the other hasher, a Yaqui Indian, swooped it up off the floor, and slapped it on a plate, and headed for the dining room, saying "This one is for Miss Peck", who was the girls' very strict and mean old housemother.

Elizabeth was 4'-10" tall, 175 lb, and had more down home sayings than I can remember, like "Baby, you been wrong for so long, but you're so right tonight", or "The bigger it is, the littler it is". Ponder that one. Effie the Weather Bird used to work there as the housekeeper. Down in the ghetto (now called the hood, I guess) Effie got that name because she always knew what the weather would be like that day. When I came to work at 6:45 AM, Effie was already there, and I'd ask her what the weather would be, and it would always turn out that way. 100%.

Elizabeth invited me over to watch the Giants play the Dodgers on TV, and all these folks from the neighborhood would drop in, half of them Giants fans, and half of them Dodgers fans. One man came up to me and said, "You see them Dodgers, like Tommy Davis, and Willie Davis? Well, I'm Wesley Davis. They my cousins." And everyone laughed and called him a fool.

I used to take Elizabeth to Giants-Dodgers games, and she would get all dressed up in a suit and high heels and a big bonnet, and we'd sit in the bleachers with all the same people and more, while they made lots of bets. "Willie McCovey, that fool gone strike out." No sir. i got ten dollars says he won't" Strike one. Strike two. Then McCovey hits a dribbler back to the pitcher. The first guy says, "He struck out." The second one says, "No he didn't." The first one says, "That was worse than a strikeout." And no money ever changed hands.

Not only was my thread off-topic, but now I'm off-thread. I apologize.
NVBear78
How many have posted on both threads;

https://bearinsider.com/forums/2/topics/40201/2
SFCityBear
MSaviolives said:

SFCityBear said:

MSaviolives said:

59bear said:

SFCityBear said:

Manuel's
Comeback Inn
La Val's Southside
Blondie's
Fat Slice

Robert (Oscar) Malin, who owned Oscars at that time and until about 2010, was a great guy. He flew bomber missions over Europe in WWII, got shot down and spent time in a German stalag. Eventually he got a business degree at Cal on the GI Bill, and then opened Oscars. He was a great Bear fan and a wonderful boss for my first "paycheck" job when I was in high school.
Wow. Great story. Thanks.
SFCityBear
59bear said:

SFCityBear said:

Manuel's
Comeback Inn
La Val's Southside
Blondie's
Fat Slice

Was the food at Wilson's any good? I remember taking a Mechanical Engineering Lab course, where we all split up into parties of 4 students for the experiments. We had to turn out a 100 page report due every Friday, and so we pulled an all-nighter every Thursday night. The first morning we were all hungry and somebody suggested we go to Wilson's for breakfast, but someone else said the food was not so good, We were saved because one of the guys in the party, a Japanese kid (who later became my dentist for 40 years) said he could whip up some fried rice, and it was delicious. He was somebody who could not stay up all night. He fell asleep promptly at 10 PM, so the rest of us said we would do the report, if only he would make us fried rice when he woke up in the morning. And we never did get to try the breakfasts at Wilsons.
bearister
NVBear78 said:

How many have posted on both threads;

https://bearinsider.com/forums/2/topics/40201/2

hanky1
TheSouseFamily said:

hanky1 said:

First of all, it's Chuck E. Cheese, not Chucky E Cheese.

Secondly, don't knock it. You can have a lot of quality fun there.

When I was in b-school in my late 20s, my roommate mentioned that his favorite bday party as a kid was at CEC so his girlfriend planned his 28th bday at the CEC in Durham, NC as a bit of a joke (and not an unreasonable ask given that they do sell pitchers of beer). We ate bad pizza, drank pitchers of beer, played video games, including some impressive jet ski and snowmobile video games that certainly didn't exist when I was a kid. I'm not sure management or other families appreciated our group but we had a lot of fun.

When it came time to open a few bday presents, he opened one from his girlfriend which, as a gag, was a large butt plug (possibly XL). We all laughed and passed it around, marveling at the size of it and the purpose of the suction cup at the bottom of it. When it got to me, I pretended like I was a rhinoceros and put the suction cup on my forehead. When I pulled it off, it left a hickey that lasted about 5 days. It was very tough to explain to others later how I got this mark on my forehead.

Anyway, we all had a blast at Chuck E Cheese that night. So, don't knock it. And I'm sorry; what was this thread about again?

Oh I've tried it...

...just not like you have!
OdontoBear66
SFCityBear said:

MSaviolives said:

59bear said:

SFCityBear said:

Manuel's
Comeback Inn
La Val's Southside
Blondie's
Fat Slice

For a man so precise on detail, is it not another frat house just west of SAE on Bancroft? I think it was the Sigma Nu house, as I had a friend back in the day who was a SN in Oklahoma.
Larno
Si's special in the late 60's/early 70's: Good, greasy hamburger, fries, salad, drink, $1.25. Always free pop corn. Wondered why they closed? Health code violation? That could apply to many restaurants then, seems like. And of course Giant Burger, with Nation's carrying on the tradition today. We used to get soft ice cream cones at Giant Burger and we called them gravel cones as they tended to be a bit gritty.
SFCityBear
OdontoBear66 said:

SFCityBear said:

MSaviolives said:

59bear said:

SFCityBear said:

Manuel's
Comeback Inn
La Val's Southside
Blondie's
Fat Slice

For a man so precise on detail, is it not another frat house just west of SAE on Bancroft? I think it was the Sigma Nu house, as I had a friend back in the day who was a SN in Oklahoma.
Thanks, but I am not very precise, and I should have proofread. I was trying to say somewhere west of the SAE house, not next door to the SAE house. I am pretty sure there was a frat house next to ours, and Sigma Nu does ring a bell, so I think you are right on all counts. I think Oscar's was in a parking lot maybe next to the Sigma Nu house,because according to Google Maps, the Sigma Nu address is 2710 Bancroft, and right now there are no other addresses west of Sigma Nu in that block, and I don't remember crossing College Ave to get my cheese dogs. BTW, Google maps had a page from a Sigma Nu yearbook from the 1950s, and guess who were members at that time? Johnny Olzsewski, Jim Monachino, and John Ralston. When I lived at SAE in 1960, we had Andy Segale, Gael Barsotti from the football team, John Rebelo, Mike Jarequi, Jerry Smith, Danny Salazar, and Jerry Jimenez from the baseball team, and Dave Marshall and Bob(?) Bacon from the Cal crew, plus several from the Cal frosh football team. A couple of jock houses.
SFCityBear
I'd like to put in a plug for Tijuana Taco on Telegraph, where in the late 1960s you could get three tacos and a large coke for a dollar. I was working for a UC lab in Richmond, and I used to drive to TJ Taco for lunch quite often. During the People's Park riots, we got trapped inside the restaurant when the anarchists were throwing rocks at the police and the police responded with tear gas. They locked the doors, and we helped stuff towels in the cracks to keep the tear gas from getting inside the restaurant. We got back to work about 4PM, and got reprimanded by our boss for traveling to Telegraph for lunch.
OdontoBear66
SFCityBear said:

OdontoBear66 said:

SFCityBear said:

MSaviolives said:

59bear said:

SFCityBear said:

Manuel's
Comeback Inn
La Val's Southside
Blondie's
Fat Slice

Thanks, but I am not very precise, and I should have proofread. I was trying to say somewhere west of the SAE house, not next door to the SAE house. I am pretty sure there was a frat house next to ours, and Sigma Nu does ring a bell, so I think you are right on all counts. I think Oscar's was in a parking lot maybe next to the Sigma Nu house,because according to Google Maps, the Sigma Nu address is 2710 Bancroft, and right now there are no other addresses west of Sigma Nu in that block, and I don't remember crossing College Ave to get my cheese dogs. BTW, Google maps had a page from a Sigma Nu yearbook from the 1950s, and guess who were members at that time? Johnny Olzsewski, Jim Monachino, and John Ralston. When I lived at SAE in 1960, we had Andy Segale, Gael Barsotti from the football team, John Rebelo, Mike Jarequi, Jerry Smith, Danny Salazar, and Jerry Jimenez from the baseball team, and Dave Marshall and Bob(?) Bacon from the Cal crew, plus several from the Cal frosh football team. A couple of jock houses.
I was just funnin' you SFCItyBear as you are so precise. I lived in Bowles Hall at the same time and we had a sophomore class ahead of us filled with football players. The reason was probably the 7 foot beds as we had a few BB players too. Your naming them all is a walk back in time.

And Johnny O and Monachino along with Paul Larson, Matt Hazeltine, Les Richter were my heroes growing up a Cal fan. Enjoy your posts as we experienced the same time period. Had an apartment with two crew members in 1961 and spent a lot of time at the boat house on the estuary on Saturdays.

Another aside, we won the IM championship in BB in 1961 vs. Phi Kappa Tau. It was so sweet as a lot of Bowles men left to pledge Phi Tau.
59bear
SFCityBear said:

59bear said:

SFCityBear said:

Manuel's
Comeback Inn
La Val's Southside
Blondie's
Fat Slice

Was the food at Wilson's any good? I remember taking a Mechanical Engineering Lab course, where we all split up into parties of 4 students for the experiments. We had to turn out a 100 page report due every Friday, and so we pulled an all-nighter every Thursday night. The first morning we were all hungry and somebody suggested we go to Wilson's for breakfast, but someone else said the food was not so good, We were saved because one of the guys in the party, a Japanese kid (who later became my dentist for 40 years) said he could whip up some fried rice, and it was delicious. He was somebody who could not stay up all night. He fell asleep promptly at 10 PM, so the rest of us said we would do the report, if only he would make us fried rice when he woke up in the morning. And we never did get to try the breakfasts at Wilsons.
I remember I liked it but it's been nearly 3/4 of a century since that visit so who knows?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.