Worst Movie You've Ever Seen.

7,085 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Oski87
Bear8
How long do you want to ignore this user?
OK, we've done memorable lines from movies. Now it's time to move on and recall trash, crap, garbage, a waste of time, etc.
For me, the worst movie was the latest Moulin Rouge. Photography up the noses of the players and a ridiculous attempt to emulate its predecessor from 1952. That one had Jose Ferrer as Toulouse-Latrec and Zsa Zsa. Directed by John Huston. One of the greats.

I know I'll get bashed for this one, but Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was an enormous waste. For the women, the high point had to be Pitt on the roof without his shirt. A necessary element for present day Hollywood, but really irrelevant. The rest of the movie was boring. I lived through this tragedy as a young Public Defender for LA County. That must be what colors my remembrance of the events.
bearister

*I am fairly confident both films were orchestrated tax write offs because I believe it would be impossible to accidentally make two films that perfectly wretched.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
UrsusTexicanus
The Blair Witch Project. Unbelievably boring. But worse was the three characters were so obnoxious I was hoping the witch would show up and bump them off 10 minutes after the movie started.
Blueblood
OR OR <The Conqueror

OR **

** Dune was special because both aUNbear89 and chazzed starred in it (see below)!

WhipItOutJoe
Battlefield Earth - nothing is even close. Gets 3% on rotten tomatoes.
wifeisafurd
anything by Merchant and Ivory
DCW67MSW
Chain Saw Massacre
Richmondbear2
Birdemic
beeasyed
Richmondbear2 said:

Birdemic
LOL--can you share how you ended up watching that??

a friend of mine from Cal made me watch bc her HS classmate was in the movie.
rollonyoubears
I've never seen it, but 2003's 'The Room' is critically consensus-rated (whoah, is that a word?) the worst movie ever. It even spawned 2017's 'The Disaster Artist'. Haven't seen that either, but that one has a 91% rating on RottenTomatoes.com, while 'The Room' score is 25%. Now, before anyone picks on 'Howard the Duck' (15% on RR), I think that film was pretty entertaining. On the other hand, I find 'The Big Lebowski' annoying and boring.
TheSouseFamily
BearlyCareAnymore
Bear8 said:

OK, we've done memorable lines from movies. Now it's time to move on and recall trash, crap, garbage, a waste of time, etc.
For me, the worst movie was the latest Moulin Rouge. Photography up the noses of the players and a ridiculous attempt to emulate its predecessor from 1952. That one had Jose Ferrer as Toulouse-Latrec and Zsa Zsa. Directed by John Huston. One of the greats.

I know I'll get bashed for this one, but Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was an enormous waste. For the women, the high point had to be Pitt on the roof without his shirt. A necessary element for present day Hollywood, but really irrelevant. The rest of the movie was boring. I lived through this tragedy as a young Public Defender for LA County. That must be what colors my remembrance of the events.
When Siskel and Ebert would do their worst 10 list, they made clear they weren't the worst movies but the worst movies that were trying to be good. So I'm going to do the movies I hated the most that are supposed to be good.

1. Moonstruck. This has a special place in my heart. I saw it on my first date with my wife. It had been so hyped. I have an Italian last name, so everyone told me I have to see it because it is so dead on what Italians are like. It wasn't. I wasn't insulted, just bored and annoyed. My wife and I were able to bond over being the only ones we knew who didn't like the movie and we both detested it. Later in life had the same experience at Phantom.

2. The Cook, the Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover. One of the first NC17 movies and that is probably why I watched it. Absolutely repulsive. Why it got good reviews I'll never know.

3. Magnolia. I have never walked out of a movie. I've never even thought of walking out of a movie except this one. After about half an hour I spent the entire time considering walking out and then regretted that I didn't. 3 hours of my life gone and then it rained frogs. Deep man.

When my daughter was young she loved the "Buddy" movies which are a series of straight to video movies about talking golden retriever puppies that spun off the movie Air Bud. I would watch all of those twice including Santa Buddies, Space Buddies, Snow Buddies, Santa Buddies II (that one was really bad) and Treasure Buddies (the Buddies as Indiana Jones), rather than watch any of those three again.
okaydo
OaktownBear said:

Bear8 said:

When Siskel and Ebert would do their worst 10 list, they made clear they weren't the worst movies but the worst movies that were trying to be good. So I'm going to do the movies I hated the most that are supposed to be good.

1. Moonstruck. This has a special place in my heart. I saw it on my first date with my wife. It had been so hyped. I have an Italian last name, so everyone told me I have to see it because it is so dead on what Italians are like. It wasn't. I wasn't insulted, just bored and annoyed. My wife and I were able to bond over being the only ones we knew who didn't like the movie and we both detested it. Later in life had the same experience at Phantom.

2. The Cook, the Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover. One of the first NC17 movies and that is probably why I watched it. Absolutely repulsive. Why it got good reviews I'll never know.

3. Magnolia. I have never walked out of a movie. I've never even thought of walking out of a movie except this one. After about half an hour I spent the entire time considering walking out and then regretted that I didn't. 3 hours of my life gone and then it rained frogs. Deep man.

When my daughter was young she loved the "Buddy" movies which are a series of straight to video movies about talking golden retriever puppies that spun off the movie Air Bud. I would watch all of those twice including Santa Buddies, Space Buddies, Snow Buddies, Santa Buddies II (that one was really bad) and Treasure Buddies (the Buddies as Indiana Jones), rather than watch any of those three again.

I loved Magnolia when I first saw it in theaters in 1999. I have tried to watch it 4 times since, and I've had to turn it off. I remember that Tom Cruise's character pretended to have gone to Cal.

There is a cult around PTA (Paul Thomas Anderson). A Bill Simmons-sy cult.

This thread should be about movies considered great that you hated.
okaydo
This thread should be about movies that are considered great that you can't stomach.

Blade Runner should be up my alley. I've tried to watch it several times. I have a high tolerance for bad movies. But there is an aggressive boringness to it that I can't get through it. I usually make it to around 30-40 minutes.

Richmondbear2
I think I saw it on Youtube. Thought it might have been funny in campy way. But it was just awful, from what I've read about the Director, it was a serious project. The William Hung of Film Directors
Cal_79
"Birdman"... Absolutely no idea how this won an Oscar...
golden sloth
I'll go with a controversial pick, but I really do think it was a terrible movie.

Stanley Kubrick's 2001: a space odyssey

I fell asleep 3 times during this movie, and each time I woke up and the movie was still going on. Eventually, I just walked over to the DVD player, shut it off and went to bed.

No movie should open with 20 minutes of no dialogue or main characters.
socaltownie
My wife and I like a LOT of science fiction so we have seen some AWFUL movies. I guess if we had to chose one it would be

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0319262/

Which was laughably bad.

We had to walk out of slumbog millionaire - not because it was bad but because the unrelentingly horror of abject third world poverty of it was too upsetting.
CarmelBear
Jaws 4 - The Revenge.
bearister

"Parts of the film were shot in Utah locations such as Snow Canyon, Warner Valley, Pine Valley, Leeds, and Harrisburg.[7] The exterior scenes were shot near St. George, Utah, which is 137 miles (220 km) downwind of the United States government's Nevada National Security Site and received the brunt of nuclear fallout from testing active in this period. In 1953, 11 above-ground nuclear weapons tests occurred at the site as part of Operation UpshotKnothole. The cast and crew spent many difficult weeks at the site, and producer Howard Hughes later shipped 60 tons of dirt back to Hollywood in order to match the Utah terrain and lend realism to studio re-shoots. The filmmakers knew about the nuclear tests[8] but the federal government had assured residents that the tests posed no hazard to the public health.[9]

Director Powell died of cancer in January 1963, seven years after the film's release. Armendriz was diagnosed with kidney cancer in 1960, and killed himself in June 1963 after he learned his condition had become terminal. Wayne, Hayward and Moorehead all died of cancer in the 1970s. Hoyt died of lung cancer in 1991. Van Cleef's secondary cause of death was listed as throat cancer. Some skeptics point to other factors such as the wide use of tobacco Wayne and Moorehead in particular were heavy smokers, and Wayne himself believed his stomach cancer to have been a result of his six-pack-a-day cigarette habit.[10]

The cast and crew totaled 220 people. By the end of 1980, as ascertained by People magazine, 91 of these had developed some form of cancer and 46 had died of the disease. Several of Wayne and Hayward's relatives who visited the set also had cancer scares. Michael Wayne developed skin cancer, his brother Patrick had a benign tumor removed from his breast, and Hayward's son, Tim Barker, had a benign tumor removed from his mouth." Wikipedia
ColoradoBear
Showgirls.

Though I might have to watch it again just to refresh my memory on how bad it was.
tokuno
Ratio of hype to my enjoyment:
harebear
Toss-up between Showgirls and The English Patient. Before Sunrise was also horrible.
joe amos yaks
Quentin Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs (1992) was too brutal to watch.
We saw the 1st half at the Northside Theater and walked out.
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
parentswerebears
Saturday Night Fever. Just a dumb movie.
79 Bear
A tie between Joe Versus the Volcano and Cannery Row. There was a distinct point in each where the movie just seemed to lose steam and stop.

Dishonorable mention: The Ipcress File.
Northside91
I got really sick on a jug of Paul Masson once, and I hate fat people and sleds. So for me it's Citzen Kane.
BearsWiin
ColoradoBear said:

Showgirls.

Though I might have to watch it again just to refresh my memory on how bad it was.

Worked on Space Jam in 1995 with a bunch of guys who had just come off of doing Showgirls. One said it was amazing how they managed to make naked girls that boring even for the people who worked on it, and another told me that they had to apply a lot of special makeup to Elizabeth Berkley's behind to make it look smooth because it, uh, really wasn't.
Mikeman
Snow White and the 3 Stooges, 1961, being 9 years old at the time, quite a bitter disappointment for this Stooges fan
ColoBear
Two absolute duds tied for my "Worst Movie Ever", in alphabetical order, "Dune" and "Heaven's Gate".

If you are restless and having trouble sleeping, put either of these movies on and you will be bored and nauseous within minutes.
MinotStateBeav
You've Got Male and School of *ock were very poorly acted films. The story line was shallow too.
ColoradoBear
MinotStateBeav said:

You've Got Male and School of *ock were very poorly acted films. The story line was shallow too.

Haha. Hope you didn't find those going to cyeberbears.com. NTTIAWWT.
bearister
I personally thought Helen Mirren was worth the price of admission to The Cook, the Thief, et al.

....as she was in Age of Consent 20 years earlier.

bonsallbear
WhipItOutJoe said:

Battlefield Earth - nothing is even close. Gets 3% on rotten tomatoes.
The book was good though
JB was a Chieftain
Last Mimzy
Kazaam
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.