Most Beloved Bears?

9,566 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by smh
dimitrig
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFCityBear said:

OzoneTheCat said:

One of my most beloved Bears not yet mentioned. No love for Steve Levy? His game against the Furd forever endeared him to me forever. Now I'm getting all teared up....Tito...get me a tissue.
Not to mention the Holiday Bowls. Did the guy ever have a bad game? I don't think so.

He certainly never had a good one.
MSaviolives
dimitrig said:

SFCityBear said:

OzoneTheCat said:

One of my most beloved Bears not yet mentioned. No love for Steve Levy? His game against the Furd forever endeared him to me forever. Now I'm getting all teared up....Tito...get me a tissue.
Not to mention the Holiday Bowls. Did the guy ever have a bad game? I don't think so.

You don't consider the end of game hand off for the touchdown against A&M contrary to Tedford's instruction to take a knee a good game? Tedford loved it so much he grabbed Steve by the face mask to thank him!

Steve was a brawler. He was good enough to beat Stanford and win the Vegas Bowl for us...and get in a bar room fight that got him arrested. What else do you want in a player?
CALiforniALUM
Did we actually get to the third page of this post and not mention these guys?

Kevin Moen
Richard Rodgers
Dwight Garner
Mariet Ford

And what about our favorite Bear who is always on the field or up in the tree's face?

Oskie

The voice of California

Joe Starkey
MSaviolives
CALiforniALUM said:

Kevin Moen
Richard Rodgers
Dwight Garner
Mariet Ford

And what about our favorite Bear who is always on the field or up in the tree's face?

Oskie

The voice of California

Joe Starkey

I know that you mentioned Mariet Ford because of his brilliant over the shoulder lateral during the Play, and if "beloved player" is based solely on his time at Cal then sure. But he was convicted of doing something not very lovable at all (although he continues to claim he is innocent).
ncbears
MSaviolives said:

dimitrig said:

SFCityBear said:

OzoneTheCat said:

You don't consider the end of game hand off for the touchdown against A&M contrary to Tedford's instruction to take a knee a good game? Tedford loved it so much he grabbed Steve by the face mask to thank him!

Steve was a brawler. He was good enough to beat Stanford and win the Vegas Bowl for us...and get in a bar room fight that got him arrested. What else do you want in a player?
Perhaps, Steve Levy's best accomplishment was being selected as "Jewish Athlete of the Year" in New Jersey even though he is not Jewish. Levy SF Gate Article
SFCityBear
dimitrig said:

SFCityBear said:

OzoneTheCat said:

So I suppose now you will tell us that beloved Joe Ayoob, the world's best launcher of paper airplanes, was the better quarterback in 2005? Do you think Ayoob could have led Cal to victories in the Big Game and the Vegas Bowl? Give us a break.
MSaviolives
ncbears said:

MSaviolives said:

dimitrig said:

SFCityBear said:

OzoneTheCat said:

Perhaps, Steve Levy's best accomplishment was being selected as "Jewish Athlete of the Year" in New Jersey even though he is not Jewish. Levy SF Gate Article
Not only Jewish Athlete of the Year, but he went on to substantial fame on ESPN
SFCityBear
ncbears said:

MSaviolives said:

dimitrig said:

SFCityBear said:

OzoneTheCat said:

Thanks for this information. I always thought Levy was Cal's best Jewish quarterback since Joe Kapp. I grew up thinking Levy was a Jewish name, as I have two Jewish brothers as close lifelong friends beginning in the first grade named Dion and Frank Leeds, whose grandfather had changed the family name from Levy to Leeds when he arrived in America from Holland. I read in the New York Post that Steve Levy's mother Angela made him give the Best Jewish Athlete award back, because another kid worked hard for it and deserved it.
bearfan93
Goff would get my vote. Bay Area kid who was always dedicated to Cal

Got flack as a frosh when there was starting QB controversy (remember the Oregon game that took place in a monsoon?) and eventually led the team to a bowl game appearance and W. Never threw the defense under the bus.

Never heard anything bad about him - besides going to MC
harebear
OzoneTheCat said:

It certainly didn't have the suspense of some of our other wins, but that 2005 Big Game was my most enjoyable Cal spectator experience from start-to-finish. I particularly enjoyed doing the "U....C.... Davis (clap, clap, clap, clap, clap)" chant against the 'Furd.

CALiforniALUM
MSaviolives said:

CALiforniALUM said:

Kevin Moen
Richard Rodgers
Dwight Garner
Mariet Ford

Oskie

The voice of California

Joe Starkey

I know that you mentioned Mariet Ford because of his brilliant over the shoulder lateral during the Play, and if "beloved player" is based solely on his time at Cal then sure. But he was convicted of doing something not very lovable at all (although he continues to claim he is innocent).

Fair point, but that didn't happen on the field. There aren't arguably any other set of players for Cal that get as much air time year after year as do these four. Their moment on the field is arguably a cornerstone of Cal lore. Regardless of what Ford may have done later, he still was part of The Play. I included him for that reason.
mbBear
CALiforniALUM said:

MSaviolives said:

CALiforniALUM said:

Kevin Moen
Richard Rodgers
Dwight Garner
Mariet Ford

Oskie

The voice of California

Joe Starkey

Good in theory. But if there was a similar discussion regarding $C, and they mentioned OJ, we would be ripping them.

Fair point, but that didn't happen on the field. There aren't arguably any other set of players for Cal that get as much air time year after year as do these four. Their moment on the field is arguably a cornerstone of Cal lore. Regardless of what Ford may have done later, he still was part of The Play. I included him for that reason.
juarezbear
juarezbear said:

blungld said:

All time:
Roth
White
Pawlawski
Rivera
Taylor
Barr

Post 2000:
Best
Laird
Morris

All Time (since'76 - my frosh year)
Roth
Pawlawski
Rivera
Gonzalez
Wesley Walker
Rodgers
Beast Mode
Best
Jackson
Keen (he was money)
Robertson
Hardy Nickerson
Weaver

I must add Jaylen Brown who embodies the intellectual spirit better than almost anyone. I'd also add Natalie Coughlan and and Matt Biondi for their Olympic performances. I'm also surprised few people have said Jack Clark!
kelly09
juarezbear said:

juarezbear said:

blungld said:

All time:
Roth
White
Pawlawski
Rivera
Taylor
Barr

Post 2000:
Best
Laird
Morris

All Time (since'76 - my frosh year)
Roth
Pawlawski
Rivera
Gonzalez
Wesley Walker
Rodgers
Beast Mode
Best
Jackson
Keen (he was money)
Robertson
Hardy Nickerson
Weaver

I must add Jaylen Brown who embodies the intellectual spirit better than almost anyone. I'd also add Natalie Coughlan and and Matt Biondi for their Olympic performances. I'm also surprised few people have said Jack Clark!
Well if it's all sports, for me it is Alan Buch.
iksO facto
BYRON STORER on kickoffs and fullback
BearsWiin
Mike McGrath on special teams, I cried when he got his leg broke against Oregon

Tyler Fredrickson for coming out and helping us paint the bleachers in summer 2003, then making a movie that I watched for years the night before every opening game
smh
confidential to wiins: hey duude, just 1 or 2 posts in months not good enuf, even in the summertime blues.

and of course you and yours all..
# be safe out there.

late ps, begging as a friend.. freddie's flick share-able?
muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
BearsWiin
smh said:

confidential to wiins: hey duude, just 1 or 2 posts in months not good enuf, even in the summertime blues.

and of course you and yours all..
# be safe out there.

late ps, begging as a friend.. freddie's flick share-able?

Sorry, I just don't feel as connected to this here board as I used to. It's changed, as have I.

My Tyler Senior Project film is DVD form, original release from 2004*. It's around here somewhere. Not sure how to burn a copy, but maybe I can ask one of the digital natives in the house how to do it. They'll probably just laugh that I'm still using DVDs, tho

* I recall running into Tyler outside Haas when I was at a basketball game in winter 2004 and mentioned to him that I heard of his senior project, and that a lot of us would ABSOLUTELY LOVE to see it when he was done with it. He smiled and was noncommittal, since he was still a student and selling it or otherwise making it available might have been a violation of sorts. I think he/Cal waited until he was graduated before releasing it. I know I was probably only one of many who let him know that we were interested in seeing his project, but I like to think that I played a part, if somewhat small, in getting it put out for our collective enjoyment and inspiration.
smh
no worries about TylerFred, word on the street says he's a real survivor
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyler_Fredrickson

> digital natives in the house
heyy, think maybe we met one or both 'em, lil boys right? in the Holiday Bowl mobbed parking alot, or was it the time y'all were regrouping in haas corridors, or .. ?
# car troubles # whats my name # time flies

for dvd mailing i could post my street address, err umm, except life insurance policy forbids it, hey hey.
# priceless?
BearsWiin
smh said:

no worries about TylerFred, word on the street says he's a real survivor
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyler_Fredrickson

> digital natives in the house
heyy, think maybe we met one or both 'em. like, in the Holiday Bowl mobbed parking alot. or was it the time y'all were hanging out in haas corridors after a game? or .. .. ..
# car troubles # time flies # whats my name again??

for dvd mailing i could post my street address, err umm, but the life insurance policy forbids this, hey hey.
That was the nephew at the Holiday Bowl. He's gone full trumptard, so we don't really talk anymore

Haas corridors were my spawn. We still talk, but only because they have to in order to be fed
smh
BearsWiin said:

> That was the nephew at the Holiday Bowl. He's gone full trumptard, so we don't really talk anymore
Guess Who's Coming to Dinner awkward; no doubt the street goes both ways, condolences.

i'll try'n shut up now, lest "triggered" <-- trolldom inflicted 202X curse word of the farking decade.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.