Story Poster
Photo by calbears.com
Cal Basketball

Cal Extends Partnership With KGO Radio

June 15, 2020

BERKELEY – Cal Athletics and its exclusive multimedia rightsholder, Cal Bears Sports Properties, today announced a new multi-year broadcast agreement with Cumulus Media and KGO 810 AM in the San Francisco Bay Area. The agreement extends the decades-long partnership between the University and KGO.

The agreement calls for comprehensive coverage of both Golden Bear football and men's basketball games on KGO. In addition, Cal Athletics will receive added programming and promotional support on other Cumulus stations in the market, including KNBR 104.5/680, KNBR 1050, 107.7 The Bone and 560 KSFO.

KNBR 104.5/680, "The Sports Leader," is the dominant sports radio station in the market and will expand its coverage of Cal sports with regularly scheduled interviews with football coach Justin Wilcox, men's basketball coach Mark Fox and select student-athletes. Cal will also receive additional exposure on Cumulus' extensive social media platforms.

"We are excited to extend our partnership with KGO, one that is nearing nearly 50 years of continuous coverage," Cal Director of Athletics Jim Knowlton said. "For many of our fans, KGO is synonymous with Cal football and men's basketball radio broadcasts and is the only radio home of the Golden Bears they know. Through additional coverage in our agreement, fans will also be able learn more about our programs, as well as get to know our student-athletes and coaches better."

Cal Bears Sports Properties is the locally based Learfield IMG College team which manages all broadcast operations and corporate partnerships in collaboration with Knowlton and the athletics administration.

Doug Harvill, Vice President and Market Manager for Cumulus San Francisco, said, "KGO-810 is pleased to announce the extension of broadcasting Cal football and basketball on KGO-810. This upcoming season will mark the 47th consecutive year KGO has served as the flagship of the Bears, one of the longest continuous broadcast partnerships in college or pro sports. In addition to KGO, Cal fans will enjoy additional coverage and promotion of Cal sports on all of our affiliated Cumulus Media San Francisco stations; KNBR-AM/FM, KSAN, KSFO and KTCT.

Discussion from...

Cal Extends Partnership With KGO Radio

9,663 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Bobodeluxe
philbert
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Any chance we could get some new hosts for the postgame shows with more in-depth analysis and interviews? The current postgame shows are kind of blah.

I thought when Kate Scott hosted the postgame FB show along with Grosscup and another guy (Matt Foley?), the discussions were more interesting.
heartofthebear
Well, Lee Grosscup has passed on RIP, so I would think they will be replacing him with someone else.
AunBear89
I'll ask the question: How many more seasons of Starkey does this translate to? I don't know if I can take much more.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
77Bear
What a Bonanza!
TomBear
KGO is great exposure for Cal, regardless of how the station is outside of Cal broadcasts. Great signal and coverage.

I'm OK with Starkey. He may be not so great on play by play, but his "color" (stuff around the game and the athletes themselves) is pure Cal. And Pawlawski does an excellent job with analysis and covering for Joe's weaknesses. I wouldn't trade Starkey for anyone so long as he has Pawlawski with him.

Sure did like Kate Scott on the postgame though.

I really do appreciate the fact that athletes get to talk a bit about their academics in the postgame interveiws, especially toward the end of the year.
philbert
heartofthebear said:

Well, Lee Grosscup has passed on RIP, so I would think they will be replacing him with someone else.
He retired a year ago, so all we had was that other guy (Hal Ramey) all last season. Let's just say it's not that interesting.
GoldenBear1
They need guests on pre and post game show and player, campus and staff interviews would make tuning in worthwhile
heartofthebear
philbert said:

heartofthebear said:

He retired a year ago, so all we had was that other guy (Hal Ramey) all last season. Let's just say it's not that interesting.
Hal was *ucking up doing the sports on KCBS for a long time. So I am not a big fan. In Hal's defense, I think it is the editors not the reporters at KCBS. The error rate for facts and details is ridiculously high.
HungryCalBear
Would love to hear Kate Scott more regularly, whichever role.

If Starkey retires, would Pawlawski be next in line?
71Bear
HungryCalBear said:

Would love to hear Kate Scott more regularly, whichever role.

If Starkey retires, would Pawlawski be next in line?
Very few color guys switch to Play-by-Play successfully.
ducky23
I know cal gets more exposure on a larger station, but just for selfish reasons, I wouldn't mind going to a smaller station that could focus a little more on cal football

On KGO, there's the pregame, the crappy short postgame and poof that's it. Back to regularly scheduled programming. Not talk of cal on KGO the days leading up to the game, and no real talk of the game afterwards.

I know this is comparing apples to oranges, but a buddy and I drove from Provo to Vegas right after the cal game at BYU a couple years back. We listened to the BYU postgame till like 2am.
Chapman_is_Gone
ducky23 said:

I know cal gets more exposure on a larger station, but just for selfish reasons, I wouldn't mind going to a smaller station that could focus a little more on cal football

On KGO, there's the pregame, the crappy short postgame and poof that's it. Back to regularly scheduled programming. Not talk of cal on KGO the days leading up to the game, and no real talk of the game afterwards.

I know this is comparing apples to oranges, but a buddy and I drove from Provo to Vegas right after the cal game at BYU a couple years back. We listened to the BYU postgame till like 2am.
I agree completely. I am a big Padres fan, and one main reason is that Dave Campbell (former MLB player and ESPN announcer) was a Padres announcer in the 1980s, and he used to host a post-game call-in show after every game. To my 11-year old ears, the program seemed to go on for hours. I would stay up way past my bedtime listening to every minute of it, and I learned much of what I know about baseball from him. Needless to say, it also cemented my loyalty to the team. It would be nice if a station would devote more resources to Cal.

On a related topic, every time I hear the name "Learfield" on broadcasts I cringe. Learfield reminds me of the sterile, corporate culture in which we operate. I guarantee these guys are some of the corporate azzholes who play a huge part in ruining and sterilizing the gameday experience. On their website right now, they have a press release that says:

"LEARFIELD IMG COLLEGE LAUNCHES FANBASE ANALYTICS PLATFORM TO DRIVE NEW REVENUE FOR INTERCOLLEGIATE ATHLETICS...New Data and Analytics Solution to Provide Athletics Departments Deeper Insights Into Fan Behaviors and Power Extended Relationships Between Brand Sponsors and College Fans."

Excuse me if I don't want Learfield using their "data and analytics" to analyze my "fan behavior." These are the type of morons who come up with the "cam" idea, and use it across the board for a Bearcam, Gatorcam, CardinalCam, TigerCam, Nittany LionCam, etc. FU Learfield.
oskidunker
Are they responsible for the Bear Growl contest?
Go Bears!
Chapman_is_Gone
oskidunker said:

Are they responsible for the Bear Growl contest?
I'm not in a position to know, although I'm sure others here would know. It would not surprise me at all if that is the case.

I'm not a paid subscriber to this site, so I'm not in a position to request article topics. That said, I think a very interesting article would ask the question: Why did Cal hire Learfield, when, and what does Learfield do for Cal that Cal couldn't already do for itself? And, just like with coaching searches where hiring a national headhunter often results in blah results, why would we expect that hiring a national firm like Learfield would result in anything other than a loss of local traditions and a sterile gameday and broadcast experience?
oskidunker
I wont miss the promotions.
Go Bears!
GivemTheAxe
TomBear said:

KGO is great exposure for Cal, regardless of how the station is outside of Cal broadcasts. Great signal and coverage.

I'm OK with Starkey. He may be not so great on play by play, but his "color" (stuff around the game and the athletes themselves) is pure Cal. And Pawlawski does an excellent job with analysis and covering for Joe's weaknesses. I wouldn't trade Starkey for anyone so long as he has Pawlawski with him.

I really do appreciate the fact that athletes get to talk a bit about their academics in the postgame interveiws, especially toward the end of the year.

Agree on Kate Scott. Intelligent. Well prepared. Long time Bear Fan going back to her days as a MicMan (MicWoman?) She would be a great addition.
ducky23
GivemTheAxe said:

TomBear said:

Agree on Kate Scott. Intelligent. Well prepared. Long time Bear Fan going back to her days as a MicMan (MicWoman?) She would be a great addition.

Kate Scott has way outgrown the postgame show.

Dan Dibley did the postgame for a year when he was out of work and driving ubers. That should give you an idea about how alluring the cal postgame job is.

Which is why I think it needs to go to someone like Moragabear or one of his colleagues at rivals/write for California etc. It basically needs to be someone who knows cal football inside and out, but also loves cal football so much that they're willing to do it basically for free
Oski87
ducky23 said:

GivemTheAxe said:

TomBear said:

Dan Dibley did the postgame for a year when he was out of work and driving ubers. That should give you an idea about how alluring the cal postgame job is.

Which is why I think it needs to go to someone like Moragabear or one of his colleagues at rivals/write for California etc. It basically needs to be someone who knows cal football inside and out, but also loves cal football so much that they're willing to do it basically for free
We should have a Bear Insider tryout. $500 to try out, given to Cal athletics and you get a T-shirt. 20 minutes post-game. 6 per postgame (2-hour show), 12 games - that 72 people. If Cal gets $36,000 from the post-game show I would be surprised. Votes for the best guy at the end of the season and that is that. The winner gets a non-income job but gets to interview the coach and players after each game, and can go on team jet to non-conference games. Still has to pay for his or her room.

Rule #1 - no A*S holes. Rule 2 - no d-bags. Rule 3 - no nega-bears - we want unadulterated enthusiasm and over the top gung - ho - just like all the other homer post-game shows for college teams.

Or just switch over to Kalx.
Bobodeluxe
Oski87 said:

ducky23 said:

GivemTheAxe said:

TomBear said:

We should have a Bear Insider tryout. $500 to try out, given to Cal athletics and you get a T-shirt. 20 minutes post-game. 6 per postgame (2-hour show), 12 games - that 72 people. If Cal gets $36,000 from the post-game show I would be surprised. Votes for the best guy at the end of the season and that is that. The winner gets a non-income job but gets to interview the coach and players after each game, and can go on team jet to non-conference games. Still has to pay for his or her room.

Rule #1 - no A*S holes. Rule 2 - no d-bags. Rule 3 - no nega-bears - we want unadulterated enthusiasm and over the top gung - ho - just like all the other homer post-game shows for college teams.

Or just switch over to Kalx.
Damn. Three strikes.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.