Rivera Gets to Help Replace the Redskin Name

4,733 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by smh
MilleniaBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What do you think? Name it after his son Bug? "The Washington Bugs". Or maybe a Cal angle - "The Washington Grizzlies" (since Bears is taken). Hope its not the Senators.
Bobodeluxe
Someone in the comments of the Washington Post story suggested that the team take inspiration directly from the Declaration of Independence, "The Merciless Indian Savages.

Original intent, and all.

bearister
Name suggestion:

The Washington Swamp

Team logo:

Cheerleaders:

Team merchandise referred to as:

The Offensive scheme is called:

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
oskidunker
Washington Red Birds
Go Bears!
joe amos yaks
The Washington Falsettos ... as in stayin' alive.
JimSox
The Dips. As in Diplomats (not Dip S--ts).
Big C

the Washington Deep State
Big C

the Washington WasASlaveOwners

never forget

my first idea was the Washington OwnedSlaves, but then the players would have to be OwnedSlaves... not what we're shooting for here

yes, i'm kidding... do I really need to say that?
okaydo

calumnus
okaydo said:

Rivera is from Monterey, so maybe Redwoods?

Too bad DC United is taken.

I'm going with The Federals (with the Feds or Federales as nicknames).
91/95
I haven't seen it suggested (but I imagine it has been), but Hogs seems like a natural fit to me.

If you are too young to remember, Hogs was the nickname given to their dominant OLine when Gibbs was coach and Theisman was QB.
91/95
I haven't seen it suggested (but I imagine it has been), but Hogs seems like a natural fit to me.

If you are too young to remember, Hogs was the nickname given to their dominant OLine when Gibbs was coach and Theisman was QB.

I just looked - Hogs has been suggested.
ducky23
okaydo said:

Red tails is such a no brainer from both a financial and PR perspective that it almost guarantees that Snyder won't even consider it.
Golden One
Rivera will have absolutely no say in the selection of a new name and logo for the Washington team.
Golden One
calumnus said:

okaydo said:

Rivera is from Monterey, so maybe Redwoods?

Too bad DC United is taken.

I'm going with The Federals (with the Feds or Federales as nicknames).
I like the Washington Federals.
YLS Bear
Washington Jewel Runners?
79 Bear
Bureaucrats

"Give 'em the red tape, the red tape, the red tape! . . ."
MinotStateBeav
Keep the redskins name..just change the logo

GivemTheAxe
Bobodeluxe said:

Someone in the comments of the Washington Post story suggested that the team take inspiration directly from the Declaration of Independence, "The Merciless Indian Savages.

Original intent, and all.

there were Native Americans fighting on Both sides during the French and Indian War and during the American Revolution. The Merciless ones were the enemy. The friendlies were honorable.
GivemTheAxe
oskidunker said:

Washington Red Birds

Washington Reds
MugsVanSant
The Redskins were the only NFL team I had any respect for because they had the courage to stand against government and the forces of political correctness telling them what to cal their team. What you call your business is a form of First Amendment activity. It is a sad day for free speech when people are not allowed to call their businesses what they want.
MSaviolives
I like the Red Tails.

A family friend flew 50 missions in B-17s out of Italy in WW2, including some pretty hairy missions over Germany and the Ploesti oil fields, among others, in 1944.

He told a story about how the worst formation position was to be at one of the corners in the back row, because those planes were exposed to fighter attack without the other planes being able to help provide cover fire--and the German fighter pilots knew this and would always attack those corner planes. When his plane drew that corner assignment for a mission one day, he had a sinking feeling, and sure enough on their way back from the mission a couple of Messerschmidts appeared and started in on him....he thought he was a goner when some red tailed American fighters swooped in to the rescue and drove off the Messerschmidts.

He said his crew lost their prejudice that day.

Here's our 98 year old airman, when I took him to the airshow in Concord last year and got him inside a B-17 to sit at his radioman's seat one last time. Maybe there to experience it with me only thanks to the brave Tuskegee Airmen.
MSaviolives
1961 when Redskin fans wanted only white skinned players
mbBear
MilleniaBear said:

What do you think? Name it after his son Bug? "The Washington Bugs". Or maybe a Cal angle - "The Washington Grizzlies" (since Bears is taken). Hope its not the Senators.
Except his son's name is Christopher, daughter Courtney. Bug Rivera was a nephew...
GivemTheAxe
MSaviolives said:

I like the Red Tails.

A family friend flew 50 missions in B-17s out of Italy in WW2, including some pretty hairy missions over Germany and the Ploesti oil fields, among others, in 1944.

He told a story about how the worst formation position was to be at one of the corners in the back row, because you were exposed to fighter attack without the other planes being able to help provide cover fire--and the German fighter pilots knew this and would always attack those corner planes. When his plane drew that corner assignment for a mission one day, he had a sinking feeling, and sure enough on their way back from the mission a couple of Messerschmidts appeared and started in on him....he thought he was a goner when some red tailed American fighters swooped in to the rescue and drove off the Messerschmidts.

Here's our 98 year old airman, when I took him to the airshow in Concord last year and got him inside a B-17 to sit at his radioman's seat one last time. Maybe there to experience it with me only thanks to the brave Tuskegee Airmen.

Thanks for posting. It is one more incident where Blacks (African Americans) have proven their courage and patriotism in fighting and dying to protect their country and their fellow Americans (of every color)
There are innumerable examples of them doing so in every major war in US history from the American Revolutionary War to the Civil War to WWI to WWII to Korea to Vietnam to the Gulf War.
Maybe there should be more statues of these American heroes to remind people what true patriotic American heroes look like.
concernedparent
MugsVanSant said:

The Redskins were the only NFL team I had any respect for because they had the courage to stand against government and the forces of political correctness telling them what to cal their team. What you call your business is a form of First Amendment activity. It is a sad day for free speech when people are not allowed to call their businesses what they want.

Nobody is forcing them to change their name.
calumnus
concernedparent said:

MugsVanSant said:

Nobody is forcing them to change their name.

Least of all the Federal Government, in fact the POTUS is lobbying against the name change.

Funny, I don't remember Mugs standing up for Kaepernick's actual 1st Amendment Rights when the POTUS threatened action against his employer if he was not fired? It is like the Ist Amendment is not even what he supports.
MugsVanSant
When the Democrats were in control of congress they demanded that the Redskins change their name. At present Goodell, FedEx, and Intuit are demanding that the Redskins changer their name. The force being applied is both economic and political.
MugsVanSant
Kaepernick was not acting on his own time. He was acting on the boss' and ticket holder's time. If he was acting on his own time he would be protected not only by the First Amendment but also by sections 1101 through 1106 of the Labor Code assuming that he was legally an employee. These sections prohibit employers from taking any kind of adverse action against an employee for any lawful political activity on his own time. That's why Top Dog should have been sued when it fired its employee for his participation in that rally in North Carolina.

By the way, exactly what did the president threaten the 49ers with if Kaepernick wasn't fired? This old man has forgotten.
MSaviolives
GivemTheAxe said:

MSaviolives said:

I like the Red Tails.

He told a story about how the worst formation position was to be at one of the corners in the back row, because you were exposed to fighter attack without the other planes being able to help provide cover fire--and the German fighter pilots knew this and would always attack those corner planes. When his plane drew that corner assignment for a mission one day, he had a sinking feeling, and sure enough on their way back from the mission a couple of Messerschmidts appeared and started in on him....he thought he was a goner when some red tailed American fighters swooped in to the rescue and drove off the Messerschmidts.

Thanks for posting. It is one more incident where Blacks (African Americans) have proven their courage and patriotism in fighting and dying to protect their country and their fellow Americans (of every color)
There are innumerable examples of them doing so in every major war in US history from the American Revolutionary War to the Civil War to WWI to WWII to Korea to Vietnam to the Gulf War.
Maybe there should be more statues of these American heroes to remind people what true patriotic American heroes look like.
And fighting for a country that treated them as inferior second class citizens. Thinking of the black soldiers, airmen and sailors who returned from the war to be welcomed back with...Jim Crow--relegated to separate water fountains, restaurants, hotels, schools and the back of the bus.
MugsVanSant
Few people alive today have ever seen segregated drinking fountains, buses, waiting rooms, etc.
bearister
MugsVanSant said:

If you were of Italian descent and the team was called the Wops, Dagos, or Guineas, you might not feel that way...unless of course you were self loathing with no self respect. We all have a tendency to be very philosophical and accepting when it is somebody else's ox being gored.

Team mascot:

*The team ownership weren't courageous refusing to change the name, just a$$h@les.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
calumnus
MugsVanSant said:

Kaepernick was not acting on his own time. He was acting on the boss' and ticket holder's time. If he was acting on his own time he would be protected not only by the First Amendment but also by sections 1101 through 1106 of the Labor Code assuming that he was legally an employee. These sections prohibit employers from taking any kind of adverse action against an employee for any lawful political activity on his own time. That's why Top Dog should have been sued when it fired its employee for his participation in that rally in North Carolina.

By the way, exactly what did the president threaten the 49ers with if Kaepernick wasn't fired? This old man has forgotten.

Trump threatened to take away tax benefits/impose much higher taxes on the NFL if they did not take action against players who take a knee. The NFL took this seriously and had an emergency owners meeting and meeting with the players union.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/donald-trump-nfl-walkout-change-tax-law-threat-take-a-knee-protests-us-a7992276.html

The President of the United Stares using the taxing power of the United States to restrict free speech, especially political speech, is a clear violation of the 1st Amendment of the Constitution.

FedEx saying they do not want their brand to be associated with racism and want the team to change their name to receive further sponsorship is the exercise of THEIR rights. It is their money. The team can agree or find other sponsors, that is their right. That is just free enterprise. Do you see the difference?
MugsVanSant
My roommate at Cal some 48 years ago was Sicilian (and still is). He enjoyed watching The Godfather (brand new at the time ) and making all kinds of Italian jokes.

The bottom line is that the demands for the name change are not coming from Indians but from politically correct white people. For that matter, the term "native Americans" also has its origins among the politically correct set. The accurate term would be "aboriginal Americans". I am a native American because I was born here. Aboriginal Americans are not demanding that the Bureau of Indian Affairs change the anme of that bureaucracy.
MugsVanSant
The ACLU occasionally represents Nazis to make the ACLU appear to be actually interested in First Amendment rights. The ACLU does not represent any serious conservative groups but is willing to represent the Nazis because the Nazis look ridiculous and foreign in those uniforms and the Nazis are impotent to have any serious effect.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.