Rivera Gets to Help Replace the Redskin Name

4,809 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by smh
metabear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Please don't feed the troll.
Chapman_is_Gone
metabear said:

Who are you referring to?
MSaviolives
MugsVanSant said:

Few people alive today have ever seen segregated drinking fountains, buses, waiting rooms, etc.
I suppose most people over 65 years old who lived or traveled in the south would have seen segregated facilities--the Civil Rights Act was 1964. This guy remembers seeing it:

mbBear
MugsVanSant said:

My roommate at Cal some 48 years ago was Sicilian (and still is). He enjoyed watching The Godfather (brand new at the time ) and making all kinds of Italian jokes.

The bottom line is that the demands for the name change are not coming from Indians but from politically correct white people. For that matter, the term "native Americans" also has its origins among the politically correct set. The accurate term would be "aboriginal Americans". I am a native American because I was born here. Aboriginal Americans are not demanding that the Bureau of Indian Affairs change the anme of that bureaucracy.
There have been groups of Native Americans, or if you prefer, American Indians involved with lobbying the Redskins for years.
What exactly is the "political correct" set? If a name is offensive to anyone (not related to this specific example at all) are we not better as a society not to use it? Is it important for you to be able to call me a ****, or to use the expression "Jew-ed down" in front of your Jewish friends and associates?
concernedparent
Chapman_is_Gone said:

metabear said:

Who are you referring to?

Probably the guy who downplayed segregation because only older people experienced it.
calumnus
mbBear said:

MugsVanSant said:

My roommate at Cal some 48 years ago was Sicilian (and still is). He enjoyed watching The Godfather (brand new at the time ) and making all kinds of Italian jokes.

The bottom line is that the demands for the name change are not coming from Indians but from politically correct white people. For that matter, the term "native Americans" also has its origins among the politically correct set. The accurate term would be "aboriginal Americans". I am a native American because I was born here. Aboriginal Americans are not demanding that the Bureau of Indian Affairs change the anme of that bureaucracy.
There have been groups of Native Americans, or if you prefer, American Indians involved with lobbying the Redskins for years.
What exactly is the "political correct" set? If a name is offensive to anyone (not related to this specific example at all) are we not better as a society not to use it? Is it important for you to be able to call me a ****, or to use the expression "Jew-ed down" in front of your Jewish friends and associates?

Right? Is it so difficult to simply call people by whatever name or term they want to be called by? Who are you to decide for someone else what they should be called and whether it is offensive or not offensive to them?
Fyght4Cal
okaydo said:

I love the Redtails so much that it's practically guaranteed not to happen.
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
okaydo
Fyght4Cal said:

okaydo said:

I love the Redtails so much that it's practically guaranteed no to happen.

Agree.

TomBear
So just as a casual observer here's what I am observing.........

Everything in life is racist. Clouds are racist. Cotton is racist. White paper is racist.........

All virtues are wrong. Right is wrong. Left is incorrect. History is false. Reality is a lie. And there are no moral boundaries.

Blue and Gold need to be changed. Blue doesn't acknowledge Republicans and Gold discriminates against those who want to use silver. Of course, if you use either gold or silver that will be offensive to those of us with little money, so as I think about that green needs to be abolished too. Cardinal and white is not better. After all, there are other birds besides cardinal. And red doesn't acknowledge democrats. And white, as we all know, is racist.

There should be no winners in the Big Game. Just a participation trophy because everyone is a winner in some way. Not sure what we do about those who warm the bench because only participants are supposed to get participation trophies, but someone will come up with an idea that we all can run down because it's got some sort of vulnerability to it somewhere.

Big Game should probably be cancelled. It's way too exclusionary.

No sports because sports discriminate against those without athletic abilities. Cancel spelling bees because there are other insects besides bees and spelling bees discriminate against those who can't spall.

There are no genders. You are what you feel, because as I already established in my opening observation, reality is a lie.

People should not live lives based on a vision because vision implies sight, and sight discriminates against those who can't see.

On and on and on it goes, ad nauseum..........

smh
TomBear said:

On and on and on it goes, ad nauseum......
very well done, TomBear, first time out the gate you scored a bulls-eye on can't miss #5..
the unaimed arrow never misses..
muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.