Desean Jackson not doing himself any favors

11,188 Views | 98 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Cal Strong!
m2bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
StarsDoMatter said:

I'm Jewish. Moms side.

But who the hell cares. You shouldn't have to be Jewish for this to bother you.
I don't believe you.

You don't have to qualify being jewish if your mom is jewish.

I'm jewish and I forgive what he said.

it's called ignorance and someone shouldn't be attacked for their ignorance. They should be educated.

If Tedford spent more time making sure his players went to class we wouldn't be in this situation.

I think he's a good kid with a good heart. He's just ignorant and will learn from this which the most important thing.

The fact you carry this hate says more about you... then him.
StarsDoMatter
You don't believe I'm Jewish. Lol ok. My father is a Christian. I was raised to practice both.

And a man who "fake" quoted hitler has less hate than me? Seriously? **** you.

You are a total idiot. You should be ashamed of yourself.
BearDown2o15
LunchTime said:

okaydo said:

StarsDoMatter said:

NFL players are silent. Truly disgusting.

Imagine the outrage if a white player said this about blacks or whoever.

NFL players only care when a white guy says something racist. Says a lot about them and the league.

Drew Brees was crucified for saying players should stand !!!!

Disgusting double standard. But why am I not surprised. The liberal media is barely covering it.

1. Drew Brees was told repeatedly over 4 years that the kneeling during the National Anthem wasn't protesting veterans. Repeatedly. Then he equated kneeling to disrespecting his WWII grandparents. He wanted to be willfully ignorant.

That's totally unlike DeSean's case.

Also, Brees is one of the highest-profile players in the NFL, the lynchpin of his team. One of the biggest stars. So having somebody in his position say that was disappointing.

In contrast, DeSean was injured most of last year and has barely been a factor in recent years.

2. The "liberal media" has not been ignoring this story.

3. My guess is that DeSean is totally ignorant of Judaism and anti-Semitism. And I bet a lot of players in the NFL are, too. (Even though DeSean is more likely to have encountered Jews having grown up in the Los Angeles basin.) I think that's why there isn't (unfortunately) the visceral reaction.

I think Mitchell Schwartz's brother Geoff is on to something:

https://nypost.com/2020/07/07/ex-giant-not-surprised-by-nfl-players-silence-over-desean-jackson/

4. DeSean now has apologized twice, has vowed to meet with rabbis, has apologized to the owner, his bosses.

The reason this is big news is that there hasn't been (as far as I know) any indication that DeSean has expressed these kind of viewpoints before. I stopped following him on social media a while back. But generally when high-profile people are ousted for racist behavior, it isn't because of an isolated incident (see Roseanne and Megyn Kelly). If he's fired, fine, he'll learn the lesson about hatred the hard way. If he's not, and he genuinely shows remorse (and it's not part of a pattern of behavior), then he could turn this into something positive.

Kaepernick has tweeted his opinion of the country and the military. The idea that he kneeled to be respectful because some random vet why was SF said it was still respectful is garbage.

Maybe some or most of them respect the military, but Colin Kaepernick does not. If we are going to credit him with the movement, credit him, all inclusive. Admit all evidence.

Regardless, Jackson wont see much blowback from this. You can say anything you want about Jews and IF confronted give a half assed apology and get away with it. It's been that way for like 5000 years. Pretending that it's a big deal is humorous. People will do backflips to excuse antisemitism.

I asked my father if kneeling in front of a flag was disrespectful.

He said "No"

But he is just some random vet who was awarded a Purple Heart, so he obviously knows nothing.

By the way, what is your military record look like?
BearDown2o15
StarsDoMatter said:

You don't believe I'm Jewish. Lol ok. My father is a Christian. I was raised to practice both.

And a man who "fake" quoted hitler has less hate than me? Seriously? **** you.

You are a total idiot. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Out of curiosity do you have this much anger when agent Orange calls Blacks thugs or the KKK very good people?

Just trying to gauge your outrage level
Civil Bear
LunchTime said:

Kaepernick has tweeted his opinion of the country and the military. The idea that he kneeled to be respectful because some random vet why was SF said it was still respectful is garbage.

Maybe some or most of them respect the military, but Colin Kaepernick does not. If we are going to credit him with the movement, credit him, all inclusive. Admit all evidence.

Regardless, Jackson wont see much blowback from this. You can say anything you want about Jews and IF confronted give a half assed apology and get away with it. It's been that way for like 5000 years. Pretending that it's a big deal is humorous. People will do backflips to excuse antisemitism.
I tend to agree with your opinion regarding the hypocrisy of it all, but what else would you want in an apology?
MSaviolives
He posted a quote he attributed to Hitler, in which "white Jews" are accused of trying to "blackmail America." "They will extort America," the quote read, "(and) their plan for world domination won't work if the Negroes know who they were." That passage was highlighted. Then he said people were taking it the wrong way.

I have trouble finding that to be a "mistake," or something that was taken the wrong way. He is either weapons grade stupid or an anti-Semite. I presume he will go to a holocaust museum and do what he can to serve penance with the Jewish community, but I'll go with Maya Angelou and agree that when someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time.

Edited to add:

I am not saying that he is beyond learning, redemption and shouldn't be forgiven or given grace. This episode is also within a context where there has long been an issue of substantial antisemitism in the Black community. Why that has been the case would probably best be answered by "its complicated."

https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/adl-survey-finds-anti-semitism-high-in-black-community
https://forward.com/opinion/438053/how-to-talk-about-black-anti-semitism/
https://www.jstor.org/stable/4121345?seq=1
BearlyCareAnymore
m2bear said:

StarsDoMatter said:

I'm Jewish. Moms side.

But who the hell cares. You shouldn't have to be Jewish for this to bother you.
I don't believe you.

You don't have to qualify being jewish if your mom is jewish.

I'm jewish and I forgive what he said.

it's called ignorance and someone shouldn't be attacked for their ignorance. They should be educated.

If Tedford spent more time making sure his players went to class we wouldn't be in this situation.

I think he's a good kid with a good heart. He's just ignorant and will learn from this which the most important thing.

The fact you carry this hate says more about you... then him.

C'mon man. Desean is a 33 year old, grown ass man. He is responsible for his own actions. His coach of thirteen years ago is not responsible for his ignorance today and frankly, if in fact Desean as a 20 year old grown ass man didn't avail himself of one of the best education any one can get when it was given to him for free, the number one, two and three persons responsible for that are named Desean. No one else is to blame for his actions.

His tweet was despicable. I think he understands the English language. It isn't just ignorant. It is hate based. You can't just excuse everything by saying someone is ignorant and needs to be educated. There is no excuse to be this ignorant in this day and age. If you are going to slam a race or a gender or ethnicity or religion etc. you need to make sure you aren't ignorant. He has made his bed.

You can't just wipe this away with an apology. Recently a former high level military person was caught on video talking at length with his wife at length about the effing n words and the effing Chinese, and gave the "we are learning. We are evolving apology." I'm sorry but no.

Desean has done everything he can do now. He gave a good apology and has outlined positive steps he will take. He has handled his response well. It is not enough and it can't be enough. There is nothing he can do in a statement or in 24 hours to make up for his stupidity. Actions will need to follow.

You say he has a good heart and I don't dispute that. People are complicated. This doesn't make him a bad person. I am dealing with this with my kids and J.K. Rowling right now. She has written a wonderful book series that celebrates love and inclusiveness and has taught a generation those lessons. She has backed up those lessons with words, money and charity work. I respect her immensely. And she is being a complete dumbass on transgender issues right now. Two things can be true. Desean and J.K. can be wonderful people. And they can be dumbasses on something and be deserving of criticism.

I find Stars and others to be full of it because he makes the common political argument if hypocrisy which I don't see at all. Desean is being excoriated. As okaydo posted, it is all over "liberal" media. I don't see how he is having it any easy. I don't see how this shows you can say things about Jews or Whites when "if he said this about Blacks!" If anything, it shows the opposite.
pingpong2
Even with DJax walking it back, the amount of support he's receiving from other athletes (both implicit and explicit) is pretty disturbing.

Should any of this be that surprising? I would not be surprised if a large percentage of professional athletes follow Louis Farrakhan and are sympathetic to the NOI.
LunchTime
okaydo said:

LunchTime said:

okaydo said:

StarsDoMatter said:

NFL players only care when a white guy says something racist. Says a lot about them and the league.

Disgusting double standard. But why am I not surprised. The liberal media is barely covering it.

1. Drew Brees was told repeatedly over 4 years that the kneeling during the National Anthem wasn't protesting veterans. Repeatedly. Then he equated kneeling to disrespecting his WWII grandparents. He wanted to be willfully ignorant.

Also, Brees is one of the highest-profile players in the NFL, the lynchpin of his team. One of the biggest stars. So having somebody in his position say that was disappointing.

In contrast, DeSean was injured most of last year and has barely been a factor in recent years.

3. My guess is that DeSean is totally ignorant of Judaism and anti-Semitism. And I bet a lot of players in the NFL are, too. (Even though DeSean is more likely to have encountered Jews having grown up in the Los Angeles basin.) I think that's why there isn't (unfortunately) the visceral reaction.

https://nypost.com/2020/07/07/ex-giant-not-surprised-by-nfl-players-silence-over-desean-jackson/

4. DeSean now has apologized twice, has vowed to meet with rabbis, has apologized to the owner, his bosses.

The reason this is big news is that there hasn't been (as far as I know) any indication that DeSean has expressed these kind of viewpoints before. I stopped following him on social media a while back. But generally when high-profile people are ousted for racist behavior, it isn't because of an isolated incident (see Roseanne and Megyn Kelly). If he's fired, fine, he'll learn the lesson about hatred the hard way. If he's not, and he genuinely shows remorse (and it's not part of a pattern of behavior), then he could turn this into something positive.

Serious questions: Do you have proof of Kaepernick attacking the troops?

I am sure there is some way to claim these are harmless, especially with how you frame the question, but his view of the military's clear.

To be clear on what is happening: I said his view on the military. You seem to be trying to argue a point I never made "attacking the troops."

My point is that it becomes extremely difficult to argue his protest is against racist police and police brutality only, and not also about America or the Military when his views become public record. I agree with the protest for his stated reasons, but I also vehemently disagree with people who claim he isnt anti military, anti-America, or that because X person says they dont find it disrespectful, thats the last word. I mean, I literally have a jackass riding the credentials of his daddy to tell me my opinion is wrong. His daddy's opinion is not wrong. We just disagree. He is wrong for trying to dick ride his dad's chest hardware to "win" a discussion about what we are permitted to disagree on.

LunchTime
BearDown2o15 said:

LunchTime said:

okaydo said:

StarsDoMatter said:

He said "No"

But he is just some random vet who was awarded a Purple Heart, so he obviously knows nothing.

What the **** is this *****

Are you serious? Marine Corps 2001-2003. Medical discharge. My brother was Airborne Infantry before he was commissioned in the PHS. I named my son after my very close friend who was killed in Ramadi in 2004 June 3rd. His name is Todd. Well, he died in Germany, but he also has that purple heart. This is my favorite picture of him I have no idea how I cam across it, but his family and our circle spreads it around several times a year.

I have spoken to guys I served with and guys my brother served with, and some are offended, some are not. Some are very offended, some are mildly offended. Some support it. Some are offended and support it (like me). Hell, I support what he says is the cause (anti-police brutality) even knowing his feeling about service and the military, and his blatantly disrespectful comments about Todd's sacrifice (In my opinion).

(FWIW, as an aside, Todd died because he and his squad took up an undefendable position between some guys trying to kill kindergarten age kids, and the kids. Their intention was to but their equipment and bodies between then shooters and the victims. Todd went from helping the kids to relieving another Marine at the Humvee. Todd didnt die because of imperialism and pillaging brown people for the white man. He died saving babies from rockets and machine guns. Go read about it. There is a book called Joker One that is about that deployment. It does my friends justice, I think. I have several copies if you want to borrow one, I can send it to a a restaurant or something for you to pick up. I never let an opportunity go by without espousing my friend's virtues and life, and sacrifice. It bothers me that his sacrifice is reduced to "white imperialism" especially given the racial connotation of that statement as it relates to a black Marine's death - Todd LOVED America. He loved Texas. His family still hosts a Team Todd run twice a year. His family still celebrates the Marine Corps birthday and 4th of July. They still post about confederate statues in parks and wonder if Juneteeth suddenly becoming more national is a token or "real.")

Regardless; Not only that, I went to school with Colin. I was good friends with the backup QB and the RB that abused Cal under Kap, so we spent a fair amount of time around each other. I knew him personally, I liked him. Smart, super humble and attentive to class and people. Does your dad know him? Do you?

Why the **** would I base what offends me on what offends someone else. Why would I base my opinion on a person I KNOW on your dad's opinion? Hell, I dont even fall in line with my own dads opinion.

You want to throw up credentials? Use your own.

As another aside, IMO the most racist thing to happen to Kap publicly in the NFL was the to-do about his tattoos and how they made him a Thug when he first entered the NFL. Reminded me a lot of Lynch. Neither's tattoos have remotely negative connotation, but FFS "they are black with tattoos" so they must be bad. No White lineman with a bible verse or "mamas boy" tattoo would be given the thug treatment by the media. Even this board was 50-50 on Lynch after that Bull**** racist gun charge early in his pro career. The subconscious racism towards Kap and Lynch, even here, was offensive also.
okaydo
LunchTime said:

okaydo said:

LunchTime said:

okaydo said:

StarsDoMatter said:

I am sure there is some way to claim these are harmless, especially with how you frame the question, but his view of the military's clear.

To be clear on what is happening: I said his view on the military. You seem to be trying to argue a point I never made "attacking the troops."

My point is that it becomes extremely difficult to argue his protest is against racist police and police brutality only, and not also about America or the Military when his views become public record. I agree with the protest for his stated reasons, but I also vehemently disagree with people who claim he isnt anti military, anti-America, or that because X person says they dont find it disrespectful, thats the last word. I mean, I literally have a jackass riding the credentials of his daddy to tell me my opinion is wrong. His daddy's opinion is not wrong. We just disagree. He is wrong for trying to dick ride his dad's chest hardware to "win" a discussion about what we are permitted to disagree on.

Drew Brees was criticized for conflating kneeling with disrespecting those who serve.

You responded that Kaepernick has attacked our country and our military.

Well, condemning American militarism, as he did in the above tweets, isn't the same as attacking those who serve or who have served.

LunchTime
okaydo said:

LunchTime said:

okaydo said:

LunchTime said:

okaydo said:

StarsDoMatter said:

Drew Brees was criticized for conflating kneeling with disrespecting those who serve.

You responded that Kaepernick has attacked our country and our military.

Well, condemning American militarism, as he did in the above tweets, isn't the same as attacking those who serve or who have served.

OK. I dont entirely agree, but I also never felt disrespected for my service around him.

My point is that it is a legitimate statement to claim that his protest can be taken as disrespectful towards something larger than police. It is not a true or false proposition. There is no arguing to win on this one.

My evidence for why someone may feel this disrespects the military ranges from his comments deriding the military to individuals feelings about the customs and traditions he is eshewing. I am not sure how you square calling an organization terrorists but absolve the individuals putting that supposed "terrorism" into action, but I am sure how individuals may not be able to square that with their beliefs. I am not sure how you square someone who is brought up to believe the anthem and flag and standing to show respect for the country and military is wrong to believe that.

Let me, quickly, be clear on one thing: His protest IS, 100%, unequivocally, intended to be non or dis respectful. It isnt a statement if he is just respecting the customs and traditions. It isnt a protest if it is just another way to show deference or respect to the flag and what the custom and tradition represents. You cannot possibly respect his position and claim it is respectful. His position is that he wont show that respect to a tradition until he sees justice. ie, there is intentional lack of respect being shown. I would be surprised to find someone who was willing to debate this, but I am sure someone will.

But those customs and traditions dont belong to a daddy with a purple heart. They dont belong to me. They dont belong to Kap. They are not one set of beliefs. They are not even static. They belong to all of us and have different meaning to all of us. It is specifically why Kap chose that form of protest: He didnt advertise it. He didnt make himself the media circus, he just took a knee because of HIS belief in what HE felt it represented... For him the tradition and custom represented supporting an unjust system. A very large group of people are trying to pigeonhole what those customs and traditions represent for everyone. Using appeals to authority (daddys purple heart, "a SF vet told him to kneel" etc) to claim that something "is" or "is not." That just isnt how it works.

This should be a conversation, not an argument. ESPECIALLY now. Offense doesnt come from the giver, it comes from the receiver. You are not absolved of harm if you "didnt mean anything by it."

FWIW, I keep using "Daddy's Purple Heart" as a pejorative to show disrespect to someone. I am 100% aware that while I only mean disrespect toward the poster, it can also be taken as disrespectful to the father. And it would be asinine to argue that the father should not feel disrespected just because I am using his awarded purple heart with the intention of only showing disrespect to his son or daughter.
LunchTime
Civil Bear said:

LunchTime said:

I tend to agree with your opinion regarding the hypocrisy of it all, but what else would you want in an apology?
Nothing. I dont think he should have to apologize. He should post what he wants and play football. He said it publicly, so people can recognize his beliefs, file it away along with the rest of what we know (good and bad) about him, and move on. MAYBE someone in his circle can attempt to educate him. His social media actions are a private matter between his employer and agent, MAYBE. Similar to Roseanne Barr.

My point is that if Jew's oppression and historical trauma was treated the same as black oppression and historical trauma is right now, Jackson would be fired, and a pariah for a couple weeks.

Drew Breeze is not analogous. That is a strawman by both sides. I am not sure how Kap is even related to to this discussion, and I have spent plenty of time trying to lay out my opinion on that small part of society.

Analogous is a white person posting racist **** and getting their college admission yanked or fired from their job.
sycasey
LunchTime said:

Analogous is a white person posting racist **** and getting their college admission yanked or fired from their job.
Except we also have examples of white NFL players using racial slurs and being able to keep their jobs. The thing that protects DeSean here is that it's very hard to find people who can play at the NFL level and teams want to keep those guys around. College students and people who hold office jobs are another matter; they are usually replaceable.
StarsDoMatter
I do.

The difference is trump gets called out for it. Rightfully so.

As of noon Wednesday all I've seen are athletes defending desean and silence. That's what bothers me.
OdontoBear66
sycasey said:

LunchTime said:

Except we also have examples of white NFL players using racial slurs and being able to keep their jobs. The thing that protects DeSean here is that it's very hard to find people who can play at the NFL level and teams want to keep those guys around. College students and people who hold office jobs are another matter; they are usually replaceable.
This is beyond me. If you are irreplaceable it's OK to make dumbass remarks, but if you're an ordinary Joe it isn't? This really doesn't sound like you sycasey.
sycasey
OdontoBear66 said:

sycasey said:

LunchTime said:

This is beyond me. If you are irreplaceable it's OK to make dumbass remarks, but if you're an ordinary Joe it isn't? This really doesn't sound like you sycasey.
That's not what I said. I don't think it's okay to make racist remarks. I'm saying this is just how it is: people who are in more irreplaceable positions are going to get more chances to screw up. That Jackson kept his job but some lawyer or investment banker did not is not evidence of a racial double standard, it's evidence that NFL players are a rarer commodity.
OdontoBear66
sycasey said:

OdontoBear66 said:

sycasey said:

LunchTime said:

That's not what I said. I don't think it's okay to make racist remarks. I'm saying this is just how it is: people who are in more irreplaceable positions are going to get more chances to screw up. That Jackson kept his job but some lawyer or investment banker did not is not evidence of a racial double standard, it's evidence that NFL players are a rarer commodity.
I, at the same time, feel that the pressures are not equal in either direction. There is a lot more "apologize and be forgiven" on one side than the other (not fact, just my opinion). I maintain judgment be restrained in all these cases, but then that doesn't satisfy "gotcha" and instant gratification types.
sycasey
OdontoBear66 said:

sycasey said:

OdontoBear66 said:

sycasey said:

LunchTime said:

I, at the same time, feel that the pressures are not equal in either direction. There is a lot more "apologize and be forgiven" on one side than the other (not fact, just my opinion). I maintain judgment be restrained in all these cases, but then that doesn't satisfy "gotcha" and instant gratification types.
I think sometimes "gotcha" style social-media campaigns are harmful to the causes they purport to help. In general I don't think this kind of online shaming helps anyone learn anything.

In this case I don't think we have great evidence that Jackson is getting any more special treatment than other NFL players in a similar situation have gotten.
4thGenCal
BearDown2o15 said:

LunchTime said:

okaydo said:

StarsDoMatter said:

I also asked my father a few years ago (since passed) and he fought in the Battle of the Bulge, award Bronze Star and Purple Heart and he was very clear in his beliefs and those of the men whom he stayed in contact with, that kneeling during our National Anthem was very disrespectful to those that served for our country.

He said "No"

4thGenCal
4thGenCal said:

BearDown2o15 said:

LunchTime said:

okaydo said:

StarsDoMatter said:

I also asked my father a few years ago (since passed) and he fought in the Battle of the Bulge, award Bronze Star and Purple Heart and he was very clear in his beliefs and those of the men whom he stayed in contact with, that kneeling during our National Anthem was very disrespectful to those that served for our country.

He said "No"

I also asked my father a few years ago before he passed his thoughts on kneeling. He fought in the Battle of the Bulge, awarded Bronze Star and Purple Heart. He and the men who served with him and whom he stayed in contact with, all felt strongly that kneeling during our National Anthem was very disrespectful to all those who served in the military.
okaydo
4thGenCal said:

4thGenCal said:

BearDown2o15 said:

LunchTime said:

okaydo said:

StarsDoMatter said:

He said "No"

I also asked my father a few years ago before he passed his thoughts on kneeling. He fought in the Battle of the Bulge, awarded Bronze Star and Purple Heart. He and the men who served with him and whom he stayed in contact with, all felt strongly that kneeling during our National Anthem was very disrespectful to all those who served in the military.

In September 2017, President Trump called on NFL owners to fire any player taking a knee during the National Anthem.

This was World War II vet Carl Reiner's response. Obviously, not all World War II vets think the same way.

GMP
4thGenCal said:

4thGenCal said:

BearDown2o15 said:

LunchTime said:

okaydo said:

StarsDoMatter said:

He said "No"

Your father, and his friends, cannot be offended on behalf of all veterans. They can only be offended on their own behalf. I think they are looking at the situation incorrectly if they are offended. And if I could I would explain why I feel that way, while also listening to their perspective. But I won't listen to someone tell
me that something is "very disrespectful to all who served" when there are MANY who served who do not find it disrespectful. In fact, many who served believe they served to (try to) keep our country a place where Kaepernick could express himself freely.
LunchTime
sycasey said:

LunchTime said:

That argument holds up for wife beating. But kneeling and smoking dope, not so much.
LunchTime
GMP said:

4thGenCal said:

4thGenCal said:

BearDown2o15 said:

LunchTime said:

okaydo said:

StarsDoMatter said:

He said "No"

Your father, and his friends, cannot be offended on behalf of all veterans. They can only be offended on their own behalf. I think they are looking at the situation incorrectly if they are offended. And if I could I would explain why I feel that way, while also listening to their perspective. But I won't listen to someone tell
me that something is "very disrespectful to all who served" when there are MANY who served who do not find it disrespectful. In fact, many who served believe they served to (try to) keep our country a place where Kaepernick could express himself freely.

Agreed.

My only argument is that the idea that you cant feel disrespected and support something. It's not one or the other. They typically go hand in hand, so I understand the confusion.

People can support the right to burn flags and hate what it represents, as the quote alludes to.
BearlyCareAnymore
LunchTime said:

Civil Bear said:

LunchTime said:

Nothing. I dont think he should have to apologize. He should post what he wants and play football. He said it publicly, so people can recognize his beliefs, file it away along with the rest of what we know (good and bad) about him, and move on. MAYBE someone in his circle can attempt to educate him. His social media actions are a private matter between his employer and agent, MAYBE. Similar to Roseanne Barr.

My point is that if Jew's oppression and historical trauma was treated the same as black oppression and historical trauma is right now, Jackson would be fired, and a pariah for a couple weeks.

Drew Breeze is not analogous. That is a strawman by both sides. I am not sure how Kap is even related to to this discussion, and I have spent plenty of time trying to lay out my opinion on that small part of society.

How is Kap not related? He expressed something that was not even racist but at the time offended the sensibilities of a large group of fans, mostly White fans, and he got blackballed. You are splitting hairs if you are claiming that isn't analogous. What White NFL player has been fired for posting something racist? Further, we have a number of recent cases of White players getting drafted recently after expressing offensive views, so I don't see it stopping anyone from getting a job in the NFL.

People get fired for expressing views that are offensive to others on all sides. People don't get fired for expressing views that are offensive to others on all sides. It largely depends on the timing, the publicity, how it impacts your employer and how important you are to your employer. If a kid gets into Harvard and it turns out that he publicly posted a bunch of racist crap, well, sorry, but Harvard has 20 kids just as talented who want the spot for every kid that gets one. They don't need that crap. Onto the next. NFL teams don't have 20 guys who can fill every slot. That is reality.

Jackson is getting soundly criticized, as he should.

As for whether he should "have to apologize", fine. Don't apologize. But I can criticize a public stance. Terrell Owens used to complain that people criticized him for just being T.O. Well, he can be T.O. all he wants. But in a lot of cases being T.O. was being an ass. f he wants to be an ass, people can judge him for it.

I don't get this argument. He shouldn't be fired, but he would be fired if he were White even though no one like him who has done this has been fired, but we should want him to be fired because we supposedly want others fired, but we shouldn't want him to be fired and meanwhile no one is fired.

Here is the lesson. You want to be able to do and say whatever you want without getting fired? Run a 4.3 forty. If Desean Jackson were an undrafted free agent looking for a camp invite, he wouldn't get one.
BearlyCareAnymore
OdontoBear66 said:

sycasey said:

OdontoBear66 said:

sycasey said:

LunchTime said:

If you are a Black man in a corporate job and you make a bunch of racist remarks about White people, good luck keeping that job. The main difference is that has always been true, so Black men in corporate jobs have no confusion over their ability to do so. A few White people haven't learned that lesson.

In addition, all political sides of the media have an agenda to publicize the story of White person is racist, loses job. All political sides of the media have an agenda to ignore the story of Black person is racist, loses job.
OdontoBear66
LunchTime said:

GMP said:

4thGenCal said:

4thGenCal said:

BearDown2o15 said:

LunchTime said:

okaydo said:

StarsDoMatter said:

He said "No"

Agreed.

My only argument is that the idea that you cant feel disrespected and support something. It's not one or the other. They typically go hand in hand, so I understand the confusion.

People can support the right to burn flags and hate what it represents, as the quote alludes to.
I think we're getting somewhere here. It never bothered me that much when Carlos and Smith raised their fists at the Olympics. I felt I knew what they were trying to communicate and agreed. But it did not do so (although many thought so at the time) in a fashion that was irreverent to the flag. Being an old, old-timer I have a strong sense of what the flag means to those who served both alive and gone. I never liked Kaps taking a knee because you stand rather reverently. So yes, I can totally empathize with Kapernick's protest, and still not like the fact he chose not to stand. He could have raised a fist in protest. You can say he made his point, but he sure didn't need to p*ss off so many who look at the flags traditions differently. Both could have been accomplished
GMP
OdontoBear66 said:

LunchTime said:

GMP said:

4thGenCal said:

4thGenCal said:

BearDown2o15 said:

LunchTime said:

okaydo said:

StarsDoMatter said:

He said "No"

Agreed.

I think we're getting somewhere here. It never bothered me that much when Carlos and Smith raised their fists at the Olympics. I felt I knew what they were trying to communicate and agreed. But it did not do so (although many thought so at the time) in a fashion that was irreverent to the flag. Being an old, old-timer I have a strong sense of what the flag means to those who served both alive and gone. I never liked Kaps taking a knee because you stand rather reverently. So yes, I can totally empathize with Kapernick's protest, and still not like the fact he chose not to stand. He could have raised a fist in protest. You can say he made his point, but he sure didn't need to p*ss off so many who look at the flags traditions differently. Both could have been accomplished

I have a real problem with this argument: in what world is kneeling before something disrespectful or irreverent? When he began by sitting on the bench, there was an uproar. A veteran told him he supported his right to draw attention to his cause, but asked that he do so by kneeling. Kaep agreed. Now, just as I said in my previous post, because it was not disrespectful to kneel to this veteran doesn't mean that it wasn't disrespectful to others. But in making that change Kaep made it clear that his point was not to disrespect the flag or the troops, but only to draw attention to his cause.

He went out of his way to change the form of his protest to a pose that is universally recognized as deferential and respectful while still making his point, but that wasn't enough for many, which revealed their lie: nothing he could have ever done would have been respectful enough those for people because the truth is they didn't agree with his message and didn't want to hear it. It sounds like you suggested he should have instead raised a fist. I don't see how those who opposed kneeling would have found a raised fist any more palatable.

edg64
Desean; Just shut the *****up!!

The bias and Prejudice experienced by Blacks is minuscule compared to that experienced by the Jews the past
5000 years. In fact, just the last 85 years.
edg64
The decision whether Desean should be kicked off the team should be made by Carson Wentz
OdontoBear66
GMP said:

OdontoBear66 said:

LunchTime said:

GMP said:

4thGenCal said:

4thGenCal said:

BearDown2o15 said:

LunchTime said:

okaydo said:

StarsDoMatter said:

He said "No"

Agreed.

I have a real problem with this argument: in what world is kneeling before something disrespectful or irreverent? When he began by sitting on the bench, there was an uproar. A veteran told him he supported his right to draw attention to his cause, but asked that he do so by kneeling. Kaep agreed. Now, just as I said in my previous post, because it was not disrespectful to kneel to this veteran doesn't mean that it wasn't disrespectful to others. But in making that change Kaep made it clear that his point was not to disrespect the flag or the troops, but only to draw attention to his cause.

He went out of his way to change the form of his protest to a pose that is universally recognized as deferential and respectful while still making his point, but that wasn't enough for many, which revealed their lie: nothing he could have ever done would have been respectful enough those for people because the truth is they didn't agree with his message and didn't want to hear it. It sounds like you suggested he should have instead raised a fist. I don't see how those who opposed kneeling would have found a raised fist any more palatable.

Well number one, I wasn't proposing and argument. I was "suggesting", and that included raising a fist. It could have been one of a number of things of his choosing, not need be mine, but some salute to Kap's cause that didn't poke others in the eye (yes the flag means a lot to a lot of people as I am sure you have since gathered). The flag is/was not meant to be racist or promote same. Just saying some other form to his choosing. And yes, I recognize that to some it is important to poke the bear in the eye, but not always wise.
okaydo
edg64 said:

Desean; Just shut the *****up!!

The bias and Prejudice experienced by Blacks is minuscule compared to that experienced by the Jews the past
5000 years. In fact, just the last 85 years.

Sure, it's much tougher to go through life as a white Jewish person than as a black person.
BearGoggles
GMP said:

Obviously, the meaning of the act is subject to interpretation. But if people are standing to honor the flag/country, and a person chooses to kneel (the opposite of standing), then its not surprising that some people view that as the opposite of respecting/honoring the flag/country.

Kneeling is not "universally recognized" as deferential and respectful. Context matters. For example, if your in a Jewish synagogue and expected to stand for prayer, then kneeling is not respectful. I assume standing when you're supposed to be kneeling in a Catholic church would be the same. Context matters.

And your "nothing he could do would be good enough argument" is just silly. Kap intentionally picked a time/place that would draw maximum attention - precisely because he knew it would be offensive to many. He had lots of other options to express his message - he's not exactly shy in interviews or on twitter.

BearlyCareAnymore
GMP said:

OdontoBear66 said:

LunchTime said:

GMP said:

4thGenCal said:

4thGenCal said:

BearDown2o15 said:

LunchTime said:

okaydo said:

StarsDoMatter said:

He said "No"

Agreed.

I agree with some and disagree with some of what you say. When he kneeled and was noticed, Kap said:

Quote:

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color. To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder. This is not something that I am going to run by anybody," he said. "I am not looking for approval. I have to stand up for people that are oppressed. If they take football away, my endorsements from me, I know that I stood up for what is right."

The 49ers issued the following statement:

Quote:

The national anthem is and always will be a special part of the pregame ceremony," the statement said. "It is an opportunity to honor our country and reflect on the great liberties we are afforded as its citizens. In respecting such American principles as freedom of religion and freedom of expression, we recognize the right of an individual to choose to participate, or not, in our celebration of the national anthem.
I am basically on board with the 49ers statement. I have expressed before that I think his protest was a strategic mistake and I still believe that his importance in raising the issue is revising history. I think he derailed the issue. I also expressed at the time, that I valued a simple demonstration of unity that I think the playing of the anthem represented. That no matter what our political beliefs we are one country. I wished that people would not use that moment as a platform to protest because once someone does everyone will. I think that was pretty accurate. But, I support his right to do what I wished he wouldn't. Just as I support the right of people to burn the flag even though I strongly disagree. (Don't like burning anyone's flag, to be honest). I have basically also said at this point, the eggs are broken. Let's make an omelet. I would be willing to kneel for the anthem in 2020 in a way I would not have been willing to then.

I agree with you that for many, it was the message they didn't like and there was nothing he could have done to make them happy. I don't think any thing he changed would have made an appreciable difference. I supported the players who protested in their own way after Trump made a big hairy deal out of it. I think almost all of them did it with full respect and most of their statements made that clear.

But I'm sorry, we can't say that for Kap. You say in what world is kneeling disrespectful. It can be a lot of things. It can worshipful. It can be submissive. It can be respect. And it can be sitting out. In what world is it disrespectful? In the world where the kneeler says he intends it to be.

You look at his explanation. I know some will think this is semantics, but words matter. Take away the first sentence and I am 1000% on board with him. However, after he utters the first sentence you cannot think that he does not intend disrespect. He fully intends it. That was the point. You may think the disrespect is reasonable. I think it might be. But let's be honest about the statement. We are not doing any good to the argument by pretending he is supplicating or trying to show respect while delivering another message. He didn't say that he knelt to draw attention to the issue of police violence. He said he is "not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color". He is mad at the country the flag represents and his act is to refuse to acknowledge its flag. I don't know how much more plain the intent could be. I will also add that the statement is intentionally worded to reference "a country" like he is disassociated from the United States of America. Plain and simple, if this were a SCOTUS opinion, I would have written a concurrence. My concurrence would have been "I will stand for the flag of my country, the United States of America, and I will stand with Kap that we need to make a change because my country is far from a perfect union and what he is bringing attention to is a grave injustice and as an American I take responsibility for my part. My 330 millionth of my country." We cannot pretend that my message is the same as Kap's. His message is clearly "Your country is oppressing my people and I (literally) won't stand for it". It is not "my government is oppressing my people" He intends to disassociate himself and he intends the disrespect. This is not a one time thing. He has made similar statements with similar construction, one very recently.

Doesn't make him wrong. But if he is right in that, let's make that argument to Odonto - yeah, he is ticked off. He is refusing to honor the flag. He has every reason to be ticked off. His people are dying. Not that he means no disrespect but is making a statement. That is just clearly not the case.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.