Story Poster
Photo by Twitter / Ryan Lange
Cal Football

All-State Pittsburg HS OT Ryan Lange Commits to Cal

July 25, 2020

The Bears’ O-line class is filling up in a hurry, as 6-6/320 Pittsburg High School All-State OT Ryan Lange‍ announced his commitment to Cal today, joining Eastside Catholic (Sammamish, WA) OT Will Reed‍ and Yelm, WA OG Dylan Jemtegaard‍ as July Cal offensive line commits along with early Minnesota OL commit Bastian Swinney‍.

Lange announced his commitment today via Twitter, saying:

“After a great call with Coach Wilcox I’m proud to announce that I’ve committed to @CalFootball. I want to thank God for all of his bountiful blessings and opportunities, and secondly thank the Cal coaching staff for this awesome opportunity!”

Cal’s academics were a huge factor for the local product:

“Without a doubt, Cal’s academics were huge for me,” said Lange, “They’re the number one public school in the nation and that’s just a no-brainer to commit. if that’s one of your options and you see yourself attending there.”

Lange’s relationship with the staff played a big role as well.

“The relationship is really good,” said Lange. “I’ve built a great relationship with (OL) Coach Angus (McClure0 and have talked a lot with (Director of Recruiting Strategy) Marshall Cherrington and recently I’ve started talking with Coach Wilcox, which is really awesome to be able to have a relationship with a head coach as a recruit. From a recruit’s standpoint, it makes you really want to go to a school and makes you feel important.

“As far as I can see, I can see that Coach Wilcox runs his program really well and has a great thing going at Cal and that’s something I want to be a part of.”

A strong student with a 3.8 gpa, Lange would like to be an orthopedic doctor in the future after his time on the gridiron is over, so Cal’s academics play in their favor with him.

Lange’s head coach Victor Galli noted that Lange has physically matured with his hard workout ethic and it’s showing on the field.

“I would say it’s probably two things,” said Lange of his development. “One, obviously I’m getting older and as you get older you become more in-shape, and it’s easier to lose baby fat and develop more muscle. I feel like now that it’s my senior year and I’ve already developed muscle over the last three years, working out and stuff, now I can pretty much only worry about speed and agility and all that stuff to make me a better athlete and more agile lineman. So I feel like that’s really making it pop for the people that watch me, but I feel like that’s really the only difference because I’ve always been really strong.

“Obviously, I’m a big guy. Compared to the rest of my teammates, I’m the biggest on the team. Strength has never been a problem, but now that I’m becoming more quick and all that stuff, I think that’s what the coaches are bringing to attention.”

Lange’s offensive line coach Bobby Belleci concurs.

“I’ve known Ryan since he was in probably seventh grade,” says Belleci. “Great family. Both his parents are very supportive of him. It’s crazy how intuitive he is—awesome grades, studies the game of football, loves it. Since he was in seventh grade, he was like, ‘I want to play college football, and I want to go to the NFL.’ That’s a lot easier for someone who’s 6’5” or 6’6”, whatever he is, but he has the determination and everything to back it up. He’s one of those guys that we’ve had to tell in the past to train a little softer, because he would come in in the summertime, do all his summer workouts, then go to extra conditioning stuff that we did, and then go see a private trainer all in the same day. His parents were like, ‘Wow, this kid doesn’t stop working!’ But he’s motivated and that’s what he wants. He knows what he wants and he’s focused.”

What is Cal getting with a commitment from Lange?

“Absolutely a guy that just studies,” said Belleci. “As a coach, we have the opportunity to go in—I don’t know if the players know this—but we can tell how much film they actually watch. We put a practice film up daily during the season. We’ll videotape our practices and I’ll go in there and make notes and stuff, and he’ll spend an hour and a half a night watching practice film. Even in the off-season, he’s going through, texting me during this whole COVID thing, like, ‘Hey Coach, I was looking at game six last year when this happened…’

“You know, he’s just a constant student of the game. Just a great kid. Takes coaching, responds to coaching well. I’ve been coaching for seventeen years; you get some kids that have the athletic ability but they kind of have an attitude that goes along with it because they’re bigger or they’re faste. They think they can cut corners and get around things. That’s not Ryan at all. He’s a student of the game. If he ended up at Cal, I could go watch him play, which would be great.”

Rated 3 stars by Rivals (5.5), 247 (84) and ESPN (77), Lange has offers from nearly half the Pac-12 with USC, ASU, Arizona and WSU joining Cal with offers. The Bears fought off a strong recent push from USC to secure Lange’s commitment.

Other stories:

Bears Stay Hot on the Commitment Trail, Adding WA OG Dylan Jemtegaard

Eastside Catholic OT Will Reed on Why Cal Was the Right Fit

Discussion from...

All-State Pittsburg HS OT Ryan Lange Commits to Cal

12,427 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by FuzzyWuzzy
PalyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Roll On You Bears!!!!

Welcome to the Golden Bear family. Great 40 year decision!
BancroftBear93
I love the emphasis on the O-line. You simply cannot win in college football without ass kicking linemen, on both sides. Wake me up when we also recruit DTs like an SEC school or Clemson.
calbear80
Wow! That is BIG, as in 320 pounds BIG!

Welcome aboard Ryan! You will receive a world class education while getting ready for the NFL. And, your family and friends can watch you every step of the way.

Glad to have you as a Golden Bear!

Go Bears!
LACalFan
It's always satisfying to beat out $C for a recruit! The OL class is coming together quickly!
philbert
Welcome to the Cal Bears! You look much better in blue and gold vs whatever that SoCal school's colors are.
m2bear
That's big boy that moves well.

Welcome to the Cal family Ryan,
Bubba_Bear84
Welcome to the Cal Family, Ryan. Big, brutal, strong and smart... I like how this line is coming together.
Bearly Clad
Welcome to the Bear Family Mr. Lange! Angus isn't messing around with these big bodies he's bringing in for '21. We're gonna have a massive OL, and Ryan Lange is a huge part of that.

Another local guy coming in to look out for. Congratulations to Ryan and his family, and Roll On You Bears!
kirklandblue
And the hits just keep on coming! Especially like that $C wasn't able to flip him late, terrific work by coach McClure. Welcome Ryan!
bonsallbear
Great choice Ryan. Now get on the horn and recruit another just like you!
Goobear
Welcome to Cal Football Ryan. Wishing you tons of success on and off the field. Go Bears!
burritos
330 lb vs high school players. How is that even fair?
NYCGOBEARS
burritos said:

330 lb vs high school players. How is that even fair?

Fair's got nothing to do with it.
kc1121
Love that they're keeping some of the top local kids now
calumnus
Welcome Ryan!
LACalFan
BancroftBear93 said:

I love the emphasis on the O-line. You simply cannot win in college football without ass kicking linemen, on both sides. Wake me up when we also recruit DTs like an SEC school or Clemson.
This DL class could be epic. I also think you are sleeping on the DT's from the '20 class. I think we'll see early big contributions from Stanley McKenzie, Ricky Correia and Jaedon Roberts.
calumnus
calbear80 said:

Welcome aboard Ryan! You will receive a world class education while getting ready for the NFL. And, your family and friends can watch you every step of the way.

Go Bears!

Yes, and he looks like he could even add (good) weight over the next few years. Definitely can see him as a future NFL lineman.

dimitrig

Bears are killing it on the O-line and at TE!

I am guessing we are going to have some running backs putting up great numbers!

91Cal
Welcome to the family! Go Bears!

Love the attitude and potential.
89Bear
All-State player!!! Great addition.
burritos
calumnus said:

calbear80 said:

Go Bears!

Yes, and he looks like he could even add (good) weight over the next few years. Definitely can see him as a future NFL lineman.

Add more weight to 330? Seems like every subsequent oline that commits is bigger and bigger.
Goobear
burritos said:

calumnus said:

calbear80 said:

Go Bears!

Add more weight to 330? Seems like every subsequent oline that commits is bigger and bigger.
Not add, take off bad weight and add good weight. Most high school Oline kids need to do this when getting into D1 FB.
harebear

Tremendous news!

Welcome to Cal, Ryan...and Go Bears!
FuzzyWuzzy
Excited about our OL commits! At 6-6 320 he looks physically ready for the P12 right now. He doesn't look fat just big and well built. And he looks like he moves really well. I'm shocked he's only 3-stars. What more do you want in an OT? Add to that he's a quality student and a student of the game. He seems like an early contributor.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.