Tyson McWilliams Speaks Out Against Racism at St. Augustine (San Diego) HS

3,917 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearForce2
Bearly Clad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Recently a video came out of a St. Augustine official saying the n-word. He is referencing student interactions (presumably in a video to school parents, but I'm not positive on that) and he says "it's all f-word this and n****r that". I'm slightly paraphrasing but that's almost word for word; he knows it's wrong to say **** and instead says f-word but apparently has no such reservation about saying the n-word in full (and with a hard-ass 'r' by the way).

I'll link the video below, but Tyson has since spoken out (somewhat vaguely) about racism or, at the very least, uncomfortable situations he experienced as a prep athlete and the emotional toll it took.

He has been retweeted and supported by his future teammate Justin Baker and former teammate Byron Cardwell (also a St. Augustine player and possibly a future teammate at California too). The whole thread is worth reading, but I'm just gonna post the first tweet from Tyson.

WARNING: this video has uncensored usage of the n-word Until we as a society hold ourselves to a higher standard I'm damn proud to see Bears past, present, and future speak out against injustice and take a stand for what's right
BearForce2
What's the unwritten rule on the n-word? You hear it used all the time on social media and in the music industry.
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
Bearly Clad
Just to answer a few questions few questions/points that people had.

• I thought this belonged on growls since it involves a Cal football player who experienced racism in his time as a high school football player, he's also being supported by a Cal teammate and another Cal offeree; maybe it should have gone OT but it felt relevant to a Cal football thread
  • Whether or not the n-word is commonly used in music or on the internet it's still never OK for a HS official to use it in a work setting; I'm a little surprised that I have to cover that one but apparently I'm a pantless moron for thinking that if you work at a high school you shouldn't use racial epithets at work
BearForce2
Bearly Clad said:

Just to answer a few questions few questions/points that people had.

• I thought this belonged on growls since it involves a Cal football player who experienced racism in his time as a high school football player, he's also being supported by a Cal teammate and another Cal offeree; maybe it should have gone OT but it felt relevant to a Cal football thread
  • Whether or not the n-word is commonly used in music or on the internet it's still never OK for a HS official to use it in a work setting; I'm a little surprised that I have to cover that one but apparently I'm a pantless moron for thinking that if you work at a high school you shouldn't use racial epithets at work

My point was that the word is commonly used in the music and even sports world and that a double standard exists. No one here is supporting what the coach said.

The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
AunBear89
BearForce2 said:

Blah blah blah blah blah.

BearForce2
AunBear89 said:

BearForce2 said:

Blah blah blah blah blah.

Exactly, you have nothing to add to the discussion.

76BearsFly
Wow Chapman-you went off. Not sure it was relevant though. Link to what the kid said not available.
concernedparent
BearForce2 said:

What's the unwritten rule on the n-word? You hear it used all the time on social media and in the music industry.

If you're not black, don't use it. Why is this so difficult?
BearForce2
concernedparent said:

BearForce2 said:

Is it ok if blacks use it?
Is it ok for blacks to use it towards non-blacks?
Why is this so difficult?

concernedparent
BearForce2 said:

concernedparent said:

BearForce2 said:

Yes and yes. Any other questions?
calumnus
BearForce2 said:

concernedparent said:

BearForce2 said:

It is not for non-black people to decide that for black people.
Chapman_is_Gone
Hey Mods, if you're going to delete a post of mine, I'd appreciate a DM telling me why. Or, better yet, don't delete my post.

BearForce2
concernedparent said:

BearForce2 said:

concernedparent said:

BearForce2 said:

Yes and yes. Any other questions?
Yes, are you black? You don't have to answer this. However, if you are, don't you think a black person using the term towards a white person is racist? If you're not black, do you then disagree with calumnus' statement above about deciding for them?

Chapman_is_Gone
"Shut up and play ball"? Would it be possible to characterize my position more incorrectly? I actually feel they should not play football this year.

But one thing that is accurate is that there is truth behind EVERY stereotype; otherwise, the stereotype wouldn't exist.

I love the tired cliche Angelou quote, thanks.

You may choose to judge people you haven't met off of a message board post, but I don't do that. Except Dajo. I've never met him, but I know him like the back of my hand.
Bearly Clad
I mean it's pretty simple if you think about it. I know Jewish people who joke about 'the Jews' and I know gay people who joke about 'queers' but you wouldn't refer to a Jewish person as 'a Jew' or call a gay person 'queer'; the same concept applies to Black people, calling them 'the blacks' and especially to the n-word.

It's fine if you're personally confused about when, where, and how those words are used and whether we should consider them acceptable at all, but to jump from 'where exactly is the line' to 'no line exists, either no usage is acceptable or all of it is' is just a ridiculous stance. Life isn't usually binary like that.

By the way if you're ever unsure whether what you're saying is OK with regards to pejorative terms then you should probably just err on the side of caution and not say it at all; or better yet, just don't use offensive slurs ever.
BearForce2
Bearly Clad said:

I mean it's pretty simple if you think about it. I know Jewish people who joke about 'the Jews' and I know gay people who joke about 'queers' but you wouldn't refer to a Jewish person as 'a Jew' or call a gay person 'queer'; the same concept applies to Black people, calling them 'the blacks' and especially to the n-word.

It's fine if you're personally confused about when, where, and how those words are used and whether we should consider them acceptable at all, but to jump from 'where exactly is the line' to 'no line exists, either no usage is acceptable or all of it is' is just a ridiculous stance. Life isn't usually binary like that.

By the way if you're ever unsure whether what you're saying is OK with regards to pejorative terms then you should probably just err on the side of caution and not say it at all; or better yet, just don't use offensive slurs ever.

Firstly, you don't know what my race. Secondly, I don't use the word ever. But a lot of people do, especially other blacks. You're dodging the question.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.