Tightwad Hill Enclosed in a Barbed Wire Fence

17,335 Views | 97 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by GivemTheAxe
ColoradoBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
How many priority points are going to be required to get on TWH this year?
KoreAmBear
ColoradoBear said:

How many priority points are going to be required to get on TWH this year?
I'd fly out to watch a game from TWH if accessible. I'm that desperate to watch live sports.
philbert
smh said:

The Hill dwellers do not like this. They do not like this at all.

KoreAmBear
Does someone have a pic of the barbed wire preventing access to TWH?
HoopDreams
I had to look up the word 'penultimate'

Hey, I'm only a Cal grad. Keep it simple for me 71
Tightwad Hill
KoreAmBear said:

Does someone have a pic of the barbed wire preventing access to TWH?
Its the same fence they put up at the bottom of Tightwad Hill every year for football season. It also causes someone every year to say the Hill is getting closed off when it really isn't.
The greatest place on Earth to watch football FOR FREE since 11/24/1923!

https://www.facebook.com/tightwadhillofficial
https://www.twitter.com/tightwadhill23
71Bear
HoopDreams said:

I had to look up the word 'penultimate'

Hey, I'm only a Cal grad. Keep it simple for me 71

FuzzyWuzzy
smh said:

Hey, that's a pretty good view! It looks like Section TT, Row 150 or 200. Years and years of following our Bears and I've never been up there. As the saying goes, there's a first time for everything...
Blueblood
"Here come some now!"

"We can handle a whole group
of fans if they charge up the hill
all at once!"
bearister
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Blueblood
bearister said:

"Take this you cheap Oski lovers!"
Blueblood
Get back down the hill!

"I'll use my hand grenades before I let
Cal fans turn Tightwad Hill into another
People's Park or Tree Huggers fiasco!
bearister

Former Memorial Grove tree hugger "reprogrammed" to support the cause.
KoreAmBear
bearister said:

Former Memorial Grove tree hugger "reprogrammed" to support the cause.
She's on our team? Hooray.
Post removed:
by user
Blueblood

"A wire fence can never stop
a real Cal fan!"

Blueblood

"Get up Blueblood! How can you be on the ground when no one even hit you?"..."He fainted!"

Where I grew up as a kid in San Francisco, one of the first things I learned as a kid was how to scale a chain link fence in a hurry.

It's funny but the only movie that I can remember that showed the neighborhood technique that I learned was in a scene in West Side Story. You go over head first at the top, reach over and out with both hands, and swing your legs down, then drop.

Although the school yards were usually locked up, they were often sites used for playing sports or for conflict resolution.
calftball
I was sitting in the North end zone and saw the guy circling above. I remember him making a steep decent down the South end zone and THROUGH THE GOAL POSTS before traversing the entire field.
Not 100% sure about the goal posts but still remember it that way from my vantage point.
It was a thrilling feat to observe.
LateHit
I learned my over-the-fence-head-first move from "Starsky and Hutch".
West Side Story had much better music, though. I think I have about eight different versions.
bearister
LateHit said:

I learned my over-the-fence-head-first move from "Starsky and Hutch....

Son of Huggy Bear:

MSaviolives
Many years ago my wife and I went to a community theater outdoor production of West Side Story. The actor who played Tony was, um, husky. When the time came for him to jump over the fence, it took three tries! I felt so badly for him.
Kaworu
MSaviolives said:

Many years ago my wife and I went to a community theater outdoor production of West Side Story. The actor who played Tony was, um, husky. When the time came for him to jump over the fence, it took three tries! I felt so badly for him.
LOL
Blueblood
Here are the two quickest ways to handle a fence:

The Cal way:

The furd way:

BearForce2
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
Strykur
Well it's game week, are we SOL?
smh
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sol
KoreAmBear
Yes any update? If they open it up, I would consider going one of the home games.

harebear
Campus sent an email to students yesterday. It included the following:

• The football games are being held without spectators this year. This means congregating around Memorial Stadium is prohibited, and gathering on "Tightwad Hill"(aka Charter Hill) is not permitted.
  • Tailgating on or near campus is not allowed at this time. Consider watching a live stream of the game at home with your household members instead. For complete schedule information, including kickoff times and television networks, visit the football schedule page CalBears.com.
  • While students won't be allowed to be in person at Memorial Stadium or Haas Pavilion, there is a way to be there virtually. Cal Athletics is offering the ability for students to purchase individual cardboard cutouts for the 2020-21 seasons to cheer on the Bears for half the price of the general public. Pricing is $25 for either Memorial Stadium or Haas Pavilion only, or $40 for both venues. To order, students should go to https://cal-bears-fan-cutouts.aaaflag.com/discount/THEBENCH and the discount will be applied at checkout.

GivemTheAxe
TandemBear said:

Big C said:

hanky1 said:

I don't understand the rationale for locking this place up. Why?

COVID? It's freakin outdoors.

I get what you're saying, as I was a strong critic of places like San Mateo Co. closing GIANT beaches over the summer... beaches that would have less than a hundred people on them during the week.

That said, what would happen if TW hill were to get SWAMPED with wannabe spectators for the games, (especially since folks won't be able to get into CMS)? It would be a potential liability nightmare for the university, not to mention the optics. And let's face it, COVID is surging nationally, a surge which might well reach us in... a few weeks. (Damn!)

Maybe better to just let 5,000-10,000 people into the stadium and spread them the heck out. Kinda like why they should keep all the beaches open.

I don't think it's BEING in the stadium or the beaches properly socially distanced as much as getting INTO the stadium and beaches. In other words, parking, walking the corridors, standing in line for food, then the requisite bathroom break. Walking the stairways, etc. It's all THAT stuff that's probably preventing the opening of these places. Bunch points and bottle necks are the problem.

And tightwad hill? How on earth would people distance properly? I can't blame them for removing an attractive nuisance that brings liability.

IMO it's not just about being in the he stadium. It is more about being in the stadium for FOUR hours and shouting your lungs out and talking to nearby fans and occasionally pulling down your mask to breathe easier. All these activities will spread a virus that is airborne.
In addition I notice on TV that social distancing is often followed at the beginning of games and not so much by the 4th Qtr of games that are close. (I think there is an human desire to be close to other people who share your sympathies in times of stress such as a close football game).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.