Let's Pick the Pac-12 Games: Week 3

1,007 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by UrsusTexicanus
UrsusTexicanus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Despite our debacle against the bRuins, I went 4-1-1 last week, boosting my season total to 5-4-3. Here's the link to last week: https://bearinsider.com/forums/2/topics/98818 Never having the sense to quit while ahead, here's this weeks picks. Odds are for the home team, my selection in italics. Extra credit for correctly predicting cancelled games and last minute re-scheduling. How that translates to $$$ is between you and your bookie.

Cal @ River Rats +3.5: My eternal optimism says last week was an aberration and a vastly improved Cal team runs over the Rodents. Reality says ... it's 2020, humor me with the optimism. Bears cover.

Wazzoo @ Furd -2.5: Only because we don't want Furd so desperate for a win by the time the Big Game, (hopefully), comes around they're inspired to spring an agonizing upset on Cal. Furd to cover.

Mildcats @ Mutts -11.5: Mangy curs no dog pound with an ounce of self-respect will allow inside barely whimpered past Rodents. Kittens claw and hiss enough to beat the spread, though upset unlikely.

U$C @ Mormon Marauders +3: Plague and lack of practice doom the missionaries. Toejams unfortunately cover.

bRuins @ Rubber Duckies -13.5: Quackers make short work of any confidence impostor bears gained last week. Ducks cover.

Plague shuts down Spawn of Satan and Buffs.

wifeisafurd
UrsusTexicanus said:

Despite our debacle against the bRuins, I went 4-1-1 last week, boosting my season total to 5-4-3. Here's the link to last week: https://bearinsider.com/forums/2/topics/98818 Never having the sense to quit while ahead, here's this weeks picks. Odds are for the home team, my selection in italics. Extra credit for correctly predicting cancelled games and last minute re-scheduling. How that translates to $$$ is between you and your bookie.

Cal @ River Rats +3.5: My eternal optimism says last week was an aberration and a vastly improved Cal team runs over the Rodents. Reality says ... it's 2020, humor me with the optimism. Bears cover.

Wazzoo @ Furd -2.5: Only because we don't want Furd so desperate for a win by the time the Big Game, (hopefully), comes around they're inspired to spring an agonizing upset on Cal. Furd to cover.

Mildcats @ Mutts -11.5: Mangy curs no dog pound with an ounce of self-respect will allow inside barely whimpered past Rodents. Kittens claw and hiss enough to beat the spread, though upset unlikely.

U$C @ Mormon Marauders +3: Plague and lack of practice doom the missionaries. Toejams unfortunately cover.

bRuins @ Rubber Duckies -13.5: Quackers make short work of any confidence impostor bears gained last week. Ducks cover.

Plague shuts down Spawn of Satan and Buffs.

Well the 2020 curse continues. 0-4 last week, having forgotten to even call the Ducks game. 2-6 overall.

I'm not going to bet on which games succumb to the plague. Could be all of then the way things are going,

So Cal with a hope and a prayer.
Wazoo This says more about Furd's defense. Furd's offense finally played one half of good football, but they are a pass first team this year in order to move the ball, and I think the Cougs will be able to shut them down after watching the film.
Mildcats with points for reasons stated by Texas
USC (not sure this one goes with all the Ute COVID cases). In any event, SC may have vastly inferior coaching compared to Utah, but Utah is facing all sorts of issue if they even can apply.
Ducks Ducks offense is improving with each game, the defense is athletic, and they have more talent than other teams in the Pac not named USC. UCLA may be an improved team, but the Ducks cover

chalcidbear
Well last week was a 2020 in a microcosm for me, I went 0-5, so I'm 3-6 for the season. Ugh. So trying desperately to regain at least .500, I'm still playing along:

Cal @OSU: I blame last's weeks poor showing of the Bears on our layoff and late rescheduling (plus UCLA looks to be really improved over last year), while am not super-impressed with the Beavers. Cal to win and cover.

WSU @ Stanford: Cougars' offense so far is just a shadow of Leach's Air Raid, although their defense seems OK. But I think the Cardinal manages to eke out a win at the Farm. Stanford to win and cover.

UA @ UW: Arizona is better, and Washington worse this year. I like the Huskies to win, but fail to cover, so I'm betting on Arizona.

USC @ Utah: Utah hasn't played yet, so I think they'll have some of the problems we had last week. And although USC isn't a world beater, their ability to come from behind to win close contests certainly gives me reason to bet them to win and cover.

UCLA@ Oregon: As I mentioned above, I think the Bruins are better than other Cal fans may give them credit. Oregon to win but fail to cover has me betting on UCLA.
heartofthebear
Cal--just cuse...they got some sleep
Arizona--normally I would be picking UW to romp, but last week affected me, even though UA lost and UW won.
I'm not convinced that pac-12 teams can cover big spreads this season unless they wear green and gold...at least occasionally.
USC--this is a tough pick because, although there is no 12th man, home-field advantage still exists at altitude.
Ducks--Although I'd love to be wrong. Oregon may be the only pac-12 team that doesn't get bitten by the covid curse (AKA an upset loss)

Folks, there is an interesting game on at 9 am. (tOSU vs. Indiana). Both teams are undefeated and I think Indiana may be for real. Also at 9, perennial power Appalachian St. (6-1) vs. #15 ranked Coastal Carolina (7-0).
UrsusTexicanus
heartofthebear said:

Folks, there is an interesting game on at 9 am. (tOSU vs. Indiana). Both teams are undefeated and I think Indiana may be for real.
Go Hoosiers!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.