What happened?

3,704 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by calumnus
01Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was helping my best friend move today. To rub salt in the wound, his wife (whom I adore) is an OSU alumna. I missed the game but checked scores through the move. I was guardedly optimistic at the half, but the final score astounded me. What the heck happened?

I saw the final (Cal) play on ESPN. How did Garbers miss the free rusher off the edge? Or was that a blown assignment by the RB (or RT)? The video was too blurry at the start of the play to make out which defensive player was lined up where and who had responsibility for the edge rusher. Also, was the OSU rightside DE/OLB so tough that Cal needed to double team him (with a TE and LT?)?

Is Musgrave just bad? Or is it just insufficient practice time in the new offensive coupled with players being out thanks to positive Covid-19 tests? I saw last week's game and was not impressed at all with what I saw. I had hoped the offense would look better today. Did it? Or is Musgrave's offense just crap?
Big C

yes
Big C

No, seriously, Musgrave's offense could work, but it's not benefitting from aborted spring practice, disjointed fall practices, entire lines being out and, now, short practice weeks. Five days to get ready for Stanfurd... with what sort of O-line?

Looking to the future, if we're going to have fullbacks and tight ends, it would help to have really good ones.
westcoast101
Bad coaching. There's nothing else to say.
txwharfrat
westcoast101 said:

Bad coaching. There's nothing else to say.

This loss is on the staff. That 3-and-out. with runs on the first two downs, which forced us to punt from deep in our own territory, is the issue. Bad, terrible, horrible, stupid coaching.
CALiforniALUM
When Garbers bounced that pass off the defenders helmet to end the game as an INT, I don't recall ever seeing a ball ricochet quite that high before. Had the ball hit the helmet even just an inch differently we could be having a different discussion here. It was quite lucky how much time players had to track the ball and react to it coupled with the fact that it deflected to the defensive side of the line of scrimmage and behind the OSU blockers in the trenches. Our players in reacting had to get past the opposing players to get to the ball while their players only had to get to the ball. End of story.

Also the tail of two special teams was on the field. Remigio was super today. Sadly some of his superpower might have been due to illegal blocks, but at the very least, his superpowers found its Kryptonite in those penalties occurring when they did. Back breakers.
Chapman_is_Gone
How you people can take this so seriously, when we're in the middle of a pandemic and the team is missing at least 7 starters, including practically the entire starting offensive line, is beyond me...
72CalBear
What happened? We lost. It's not going to get any better.
Bobodeluxe
Chapman_is_Gone said:

How you people can take this so seriously, when we're in the middle of a pandemic and the team is missing at least 7 starters, including practically the entire starting offensive line, is beyond me...

The pandemic ended on November 3rd.
6956bear
Big C said:

No, seriously, Musgrave's offense could work, but it's not benefitting from aborted spring practice, disjointed fall practices, entire lines being out and, now, short practice weeks. Five days to get ready for Stanfurd... with what sort of O-line?

Looking to the future, if we're going to have fullbacks and tight ends, it would help to have really good ones.
Yes. When Tonges caught that one longer pass I was stunned at how slow he is. Schlegal is a good story but is an undersized FB that is no threat in the pass game or as a runner. But I would like to see Cal play primarily in 3 WR, 1 TE and 1 RB set and mostly from the gun.

This would get Polk, Crawford, Remigio and Brown if healthy all on the field at one time. You can rotate your TEs in based on the situation and at times play 2. But trying to run against a crowded box has not been good. I think this Cal team needs to throw to run, not the other way around.

I love the walk on story, and Cal has had a great deal of success with that program. But Tonges, Moore and Schlegal are all walkons. They may have scholarships this season but they all started as walkons. FB is a hard position to fill as few HS teams play that way. So many teams that do use a FB regularly covert ILBs to that role. The talent level at TE needs to improve. Hopefully Terry sticks and that will be a big upgrade in raw ability.
StarsDoMatter
For the 100,000,000 time EVERY school is dealing with the pandemic!!!! Ok. Please get that through your head. The pandemic is not exclusive to the university of California.

You think cal is the only school to have starters not playing?! The only school that has lost practices??? Games delayed, etc.

The coaching was terrible. Special teams coaching was atrocious. Maybe we should address that, and stop making excuses every school in america could make.

Chapman_is_Gone
1. CA response has been much more strict than all other states, limiting what the Cal football team can do.

2. Trying to install brand new offense, given #1 above.

3. I could go on.
Big C
4. Pretty much all of college football being a joke this year doesn't make us any LESS of a joke (or any more of one). Yes, it's hard to take anything too seriously, at this point. Wilcox is the same coach everybody was enamored with 11-12 months ago. We need to do what we can to salvage the season (such as it is) and our recruiting class and regroup.
71Bear
StarsDoMatter said:

For the 100,000,000 time EVERY school is dealing with the pandemic!!!! Ok. Please get that through your head. The pandemic is not exclusive to the university of California.

You think cal is the only school to have starters not playing?! The only school that has lost practices??? Games delayed, etc.

The coaching was terrible. Special teams coaching was atrocious. Maybe we should address that, and stop making excuses every school in america could make.

Yep... Va Tech and Pitt played yesterday without a composite total of 28 players (Pitt was missing 7 starters and only practiced one day in the week leading up to the game and won 47-14). There were 15 games postponed or cancelled. In terms of the impact of the virus, Cal is no different than any other school, some weeks will be better than others but overall, it is all the same - a **** show.....

Bottom line - there are absolutely no excuses for the way Cal is playing - they simply are not playing well enough to win.
OceanBeachBear
A lot of the hype this year favored Cal's returning talent over the rest of the conference's turnover. I bought into this as well. What I've learned is that there is that raw talent easily wins over experienced but limited players. Garbers played well, but how many Pac 12 QBs can he outplay? Easily worse than Slovis, Shough, De Laura, Daniels, DTR. Not clearly better than any of the others, and that will not get it done.

We shouldnt be in competitive games with OSU and other PAC 12 bottom feeders. Uninspired offense, minimal explosiveness, and continually deteriorating defensive performances force us to win 50/50 type games every weekend. This is not sustainable. These same issues would have killed us in any season, COVID or not. I just hope we can hold onto the recruits.
OceanBeachBear
A lot of the hype this year favored Cal's returning talent over the rest of the conference's turnover. I bought into this as well. What I've learned is that there is that raw talent easily wins over experienced but limited players. Garbers played well, but how many Pac 12 QBs can he outplay? Easily worse than Slovis, Shough, De Laura, Daniels, DTR. Not clearly better than any of the others, and that will not get it done.

We shouldnt be in competitive games with OSU and other PAC 12 bottom feeders. Uninspired offense, minimal explosiveness, and continually deteriorating defensive performances force us to win 50/50 type games every weekend. This is not sustainable. These same issues would have killed us in any season, COVID or not. I just hope we can hold onto the recruits.
Bobodeluxe
Unit3IdaSproul said:

COVID will accelerate the end of D1 football as we now have it. Cal will not be in top semi-pro tier.
82gradDLSdad
Big C said:

The beauty of recruiting TEs and FBs, especially these days, is there is little competition for them given the popularity of the spread. But we have to get creative because the good TEs and FBs will still get recruited by the big boys. We need to target big, not quite fast enough receivers and bulk them up to play TE. We need to target hs linemen and linebackers who are too small for big time colleges as FBs. Hell, DLS is full of those guys. As an example, a kid in my son's class was one of the best high school lineman I ever saw (2004). I don't know who recruited him but he ended up coming to Cal and starring in rugby. He even played on the national team. Chris Biller is his name. He was probably 6' 220 in high school and an absolute monster. Maybe he really wanted to play rugby but he would have made a fantastic FB. We can recruit these types of players.
LunchTime
Bobodeluxe said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

The pandemic ended on November 3rd.
I get the joke, but...

Gavin Newsom thinks it ended November 3rd. He celebrated with a fancy dinner that Friday.
chazzed
All of these alarmist posts. Gotta love it. This board truly is no better than any other CFB team board.
calumnus
82gradDLSdad said:

Big C said:

The beauty of recruiting TEs and FBs, especially these days, is there is little competition for them given the popularity of the spread. But we have to get creative because the good TEs and FBs will still get recruited by the big boys. We need to target big, not quite fast enough receivers and bulk them up to play TE. We need to target hs linemen and linebackers who are too small for big time colleges as FBs. Hell, DLS is full of those guys. As an example, a kid in my son's class was one of the best high school lineman I ever saw (2004). I don't know who recruited him but he ended up coming to Cal and starring in rugby. He even played on the national team. Chris Biller is his name. He was probably 6' 220 in high school and an absolute monster. Maybe he really wanted to play rugby but he would have made a fantastic FB. We can recruit these types of players.

Get your best players, your difference makers, on the field. Don't play lesser athletes at TE or FB just to have one. I wanted MCMorris at H-back because he is an amazing athlete (2 time MVP of Mater Dei's basketball team at 6'1 290) and he could block for Laird and our WRs were either slow or could not catch.

Right now Crawford, Polk and Remigio give us three good WRs with decent speed for the first time since the beginning of the 2017 season. I would play Brown as an H-back, he's 6-1 235. Dancy and/or one of the young/fast RBs as well.

Longer term, the place to look for overlooked TEs is among power forwards, especially at high schools that don't have football teams. Great athletes playing basketball, tough to make the NBA.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.