Do you think Aaron Rodgers believes he's a lucky man?

2,421 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bearister
Trumpanzee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Don't get me wrong, I'm still a huge Cal fan because of AR. I was listening to an interview on the Jim Rome show and AR says when he hangs it up, he's done with football 100%. The AR story is one that has amazed me for so many reasons. He played HS ball in Chico where he was pretty successful but was not offered a single scholarship offer from a D1 school. He's discovered by accident when Teford goes to visit Butte JC to look at tight end Garrett Cross. This chance meeting between JT and AR has lead to a life we can only dream of. I would hope AR has a picture of Garrett Cross and JT on his night stand and he thanks them for the amazing life he has.

okaydo
Trumpanzee said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm still a huge Cal fan because of AR. I was listening to an interview on the Jim Rome show and AR says when he hangs it up, he's done with football 100%. The AR story is one that has amazed me for so many reasons. He played HS ball in Chico where he was pretty successful but was not offered a single scholarship offer from a D1 school. He's discovered by accident when Teford goes to visit Butte JC to look at tight end Garrett Cross. This chance meeting between JT and AR has lead to a life we can only dream of. I would hope AR has a picture of Garrett Cross and JT on his night stand and he thanks them for the amazing life he has.

And Trent Dilfer.
bearister
Yes, he has had some luck and a great life. His luck wouldn't have been worth much without his phenomenal talent.
His story also confirms my skepticism regarding how analytical the people are that assess talent. Think of how many solid NFL football players are drafted in late rounds, including the Crybaby, seen crying here during an interview when recounting the worst day of his life when he sank low in the draft.

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Big C

The famous Garrett Cross angle allowed us to get AR as a sophomore, but I have a feeling he was going to be discovered eventually, with talent like that.
82gradDLSdad
bearister said:

Yes, he has had some luck and a great life. His luck wouldn't have been worth much without his phenomenal talent.
His story also confirms my skepticism regarding how analytical the people are that assess talent. Think of how many solid NFL football players are drafted in late rounds, including the Crybaby, seen crying here during an interview when recounting the worst day of his life when he sank low in the draft.

And the phenomenal talent is a form of luck. As is the mentality that allows you to have whatever work ethic you have. Face it, our lot in life is greatly determined by luck. And that view doesn't mean you get to work less hard and curse your lot.

#endphilosophicalrant
bearister
I forgot about that angle! None of us get to order from the menu with regard to the DNA and the environment we start out with....and the randomness and unfairness of that is cosmically disturbing.
GivemTheAxe
Big C said:

The famous Garrett Cross angle allowed us to get AR as a sophomore, but I have a feeling he was going to be discovered eventually, with talent like that.

While I agree that AR is an extraordinary talent, talent alone doesn't guarantee success.
You have to get the breaks (being at the right place at the right time with the right contacts, etc.) and make the most of them.
okaydo
bearister said:

Arguably everybody who ascends to a major spot got there via some luck. The incoming president benefitted from luck. So did the current president and the last president and the one before him. And the one before him. And the one before him. And the one before him.
KoreAmBear
okaydo said:

bearister said:

Arguably everybody who ascends to a major spot got there via some luck. The incoming president benefitted from luck. So did the current president and the last president and the one before him. And the one before him. And the one before him. And the one before him.
I had the luck of growing up in California in the 80s where UC tuition was dirt cheap and admission % was higher esp. for California residents. Harder for my daughter now applying from Hawaii with out of state tuition.

The players in the major pro sports are lucky to be in their prime now as role players are getting huge contracts on quantum leaps from the star free agents of the 60s and 70s.

Life is harsh, beset with opportunities and always interesting.
bearister
$637.50 per year cheap?
GivemTheAxe
KoreAmBear said:

okaydo said:

bearister said:

I had the luck of growing up in California in the 80s where UC tuition was dirt cheap and admission % was higher esp. for California residents. Harder for my daughter now applying from Hawaii with out of state tuition.

The players in the major pro sports are lucky to be in their prime now as role players are getting huge contracts on quantum leaps from the star free agents of the 60s and 70s.

Life is harsh, beset with opportunities and always interesting.

Same here.
I was planning on going to JC for first two years of college. Then at my brother's advice I applied to Cal very late in the process in 1963. I received my acceptance at the beginning of the Summer after graduating from HS.
I was able to pay for college with Summer jobs and part-time jobs. (Tuition was $100 per year for a world-class education.)
Caught another break and moved into a very inexpensive living set up when two friends of mine found themselves without a third roommate to share the rent.
Got my BA, Master's and JD all from Cal and had $0.00 in student debt.
I was no genius ... just your average Cal student who worked hard.
I felt lucky lucky lucky to have been at the right place at the right time.
upsetof86
Thats about what I paid per semester in the 80s. Just switched from quarters to semester system when i started.
KoreAmBear
bearister said:

$637.50 per year cheap?
Sounds like California Bar dues.
bearister
KoreAmBear said:

bearister said:

$637.50 per year cheap?

That was my yearly tuition (1972-1976)
Monthly room and board: $145
After graduation: 2 bedroom furnished apartment on Benvenue: $300/month (1976-1982)
First annual salary as a lawyer: $17,000 (1979-1980). Bought a new car, color TV and lots of walkin' round money. Life was good.
KoreAmBear
bearister said:

KoreAmBear said:

bearister said:

$637.50 per year cheap?

After graduation: 2 bedroom furnished apartment on Benvenue: $300/month (1976-1982)
First annual salary as a lawyer: $17,000 (1979-1980). Bought a new car, color TV and lots of walkin' round money. Life was good.
Pimpin ain't easy.
bearister
Diamond in the back, sunroof top
Diggin the scene
With a gangsta lean, wooh

* William Devaughn
GivemTheAxe
bearister said:

KoreAmBear said:

bearister said:

$637.50 per year cheap?

First year out of law school in 1975 I accepted an offer from a SF law firm at $13,500 annual salary. That was bumped up to $14,500 annual salary the month
that I started. I felt rich and LUCKY. (But my annual tuition at Boalt was really steep: $1,000 to $1,500 per year over my 3 years there. IIRC)
okaydo
GivemTheAxe said:

bearister said:

KoreAmBear said:

bearister said:

$637.50 per year cheap?

First year out of law school in 1975 I accepted an offer from a SF law firm at $13,500 annual salary. That was bumped up to $14,500 annual salary the month
that I started. I felt rich and LUCKY. (But my annual tuition at Boalt was really steep: $1,000 to $1,500 per year over my 3 years there. IIRC)

Not bad.

HearstMining
bearister said:

Diggin the scene

* William Devaughn
NIcely done! Like (I suspect) a lot of other people, I always thought Curtis Mayfield wrote and sang this but tracking down your reference proved I was incorrect.
HearstMining
bearister said:

KoreAmBear said:

bearister said:

$637.50 per year cheap?

My timing was similar to yours. With a 1976 BS in engineering, a job offer from Lockheed in my pocket ($13,000/yr if I recall correctly), and a small inheritance from my grandfather, I bought a brand new 1976 BMW 2002, the car I'd wanted since high school. Surprisingly, I never loved owning it as much as I loved the idea of owning it, and so discovered I wasn't a "car guy". At $6,500 MSRP, a relatively cheap lesson and I can still say I owned a BMW before they became the yuppiemobile of the 1980s.

No doubt about it, that Cal degree (or any degree from a California public university, really) up through the 1980's was a screamin' deal.
MSaviolives
I think I paid $1,500 per year tuition for Boalt Hall for 1981-84. To say I was lucky to be able to get that bang for the buck would be an understatement.
Trumpanzee
Damn, Cal had much higher educational expectations than what i could provide in 1983, so I went to school in Idaho and wrestled on a scholarship. Best part.....legal drinking ages was 19! While my friends in Cali were hustling in front of 7-11 for someone to by beer, I was buying doubles at the bar!
bearister
HearstMining said:

bearister said:

Diggin the scene

* William Devaughn
NIcely done! Like (I suspect) a lot of other people, I always thought Curtis Mayfield wrote and sang this but tracking down your reference proved I was incorrect.

Everybody's misused him
Ripped him up and abused him
Another junkie plan
Pushing dope for the man
A terrible blow
But that's how it goes
A Freddie's on the corner now
If you want to be a junkie, wow
Remember Freddie's dead

*Curtis Mayfield

WildBear
TUITION FROM 1996-2000 was around 3200$ a year. Not bad, could work a couple months in the summer and pay much of it off. room in a 1 on benvenue and then 4 bedroom by the old blockbuster on shattuck were both about $400 a month
bearister
bearister said:

KoreAmBear said:

bearister said:

$637.50 per year cheap?

Forgot to add: 1st house, Walnut Creek, June, 1982, $137,000. Today value on Zillow: $1,500,000

*I sold it in 1984 for $147,000
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.