Story Poster
Photo by Twitter / Cal Basketball
Cal Basketball

Bears Pummeled in Pullman

February 18, 2021

Fresh off an encouraging win over fourth place Colorado last weekend, the Bears sleepwalked their way to a decisive 82-51 defeat to WSU in Pullman tonight.

Nowhere in the lopsided loss was the difference in play more apparent than behind the arc, where the Cougars had a substantial 21-point differential over Cal, hitting 12-of-23 (52%) to Cal’s 5-for-17 (29%) from three.

“I was really disappointed in the effort we gave tonight,” said Cal head coach Mark Fox. “The first half, off to a poor start. We had some good looks at the basket that didn’t go in. I thought our frustration offensively, we carried it right over to the defensive end and it effected our defense. We just let them have really good looks from three which they took advantage of.

“We just didn’t have the resiliency tonight that you need to have to win on the road. Obviously we’re really disappointed with our play tonight.”

After briefly pulling ahead 9-7 on a Andre Kelly jumper five minutes into the game, it was all downhill for the Bears, who failed to capitalize on WSU team leader and leading scorer Isaac Bonton (18.4 points, 4.2 assists, 4.2 rebounds per game) being out for the game - his second straight missed to injury.

Soph Noah Williams more than made up for Bontin’s absence, scoring from all over the court while playing solid defense. Williams scored an impressive 32 points on 12-of-20 from the floor and 4-for-6 behind the arc to go along with nine rebounds and seven assists on the night.

The Bears were led by junior wing Matt Bradley, who came off the bench after missing several practices this week to illness to score 16 points on 5-of-9 from the floor in 23 minutes.

Bradley didn’t have much help with only Kelly reaching double digits with 10 points and five rebounds on the night.

After the Bears’ brief lead, WSU closed out the half outscoring Cal to the tune of 41-17 including the last 10 points of the half.

Besides trailing by 22 at half, the Bears’ D gave up an attrocious 8-for-10 from behind the arc along with being outrebounded 20-8 and allowing 59% shooting overall, while turning the ball over seven times.

Not exactly a recipe for success.

It didnt’ get much better in the second half, with the Cougars stretching the lead to 35 before soph guard Dimitrios Klonaras took advantage of some late playing time to hit the final two buckets of the game to close out the scoring.

Cal got nothing from the point tonight, with starter Joel Brown going scoreless in the first half and sitting the second half out and just two points combined from Makale Foreman and Jarred Hyder on 1-for-8 shooting and 4 assists on the night from the trio. WSU also decisively outrebounded the Bears, 39-26 on the night.

The Bears’ uncompetitive loss was particularly disappointing after their strong victory over a solid Colorado team last Saturday and generally-improved play of late with most of their roster finally available.

“I’m really disappointed because we really didn’t carry over. We didn’t show the competitive maturity that you have to play with every night,” said Fox. “As well as we played on Saturday then to flip the coin and play that poorly tonight...I don’t want to take anything away from Washington State because their kids played well but for our kids to be so different than they were the other night, we have to develop a competitive maturity to play every day.”

The Bears wrap up their last road trip of the season Saturday at 7 vs. Washington In Seattle on ESPNU. Last place Cal falls to 8-16 (3-13) and WSU climbs to 13-10 (6-10) on the season.

Other stories:

Cal Hoops: Bears Topple Buffs, 71-62

Bears' Last Second Bid For the Win Falls Just Short in 76-75 Loss to Utah

Discussion from...

Bears Pummeled in Pullman

5,173 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by calbear80
NVBear78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wonder if Joel Brown was sick too?
calbear80
I wonder what Knowlton was thinking when he hired this MBB Coach (when he could have hired the USF Coach who is now at WSU) and this WBB Coach.

Knowlton's hand-picked MBB is 3-14 (0.11) in the Pac-12 and 8-16 (0.33) overall this season.

Knowlton's hand picked WBB is 0-10 (0.00) in the Pac-12 and 0-13 (0.00) overall this season, including losses to the "powerhouse" Bakersfield and SJSU!

Knowlton is an inglorious 3-24 (0.11) in the Pac-12 and 8-29 (0.22) overall this season for combined MBB and WBB (not to mention 1-3 in Football)!

Knowlton's hand-picked MBB Coach has regressed from 0.47 winning percentage last season to 0.33 this season.

Knowlton's hand-picked WBB has regressed from 0.39 winning percentage last year to worst in the nation 0.00 this year!

Excuses don't cut it anymore (last time I checked, Covid-19 has impacted everybody and everything in the nation, not only the Knowlton's hand-picked coaches).

It is time to clean house.

Knowlton, Fox and Smith must go.

Bring Back Respect To Cal Basketball!
stu
calbear80 said:

I'm surprised this advice wasn't posted after the Colorado win.

Regarding WBB, I wonder what coach would achieve a winning record with exactly two healthy guards, equivalent to Brandon Smith and Dimitrios Klonaras, and all but one of the other players freshies. BTW they didn't play last week because they couldn't field the PAC-12 minimum of 7 scholarship players. That said, I'd look at what the trainers are doing.
calbear80
0-13. Lost to lowly Bakersfield and SJSU.

Worst in the nation.

Are you going to try to justify that?
stu
calbear80 said:

0-13. Lost to lowly Bakersfield and SJSU.

Worst in the nation.

Are you going to try to justify that?
Yes. By the end of last season our WBB team was playing very well, recruiting looks good, and I don't think anyone could have foreseen the circumstances of this season. I'm looking forward to next season.

If next season turns out as poorly as this season then please remind me I said the above.
calbear80
I GUARANTEE you that WBB next season will not be worse than this season!

Only because mathematically it is impossible to do worse than this season's 0.000 winning percentage!!

Bring Respect Back To Cal Basketball!
BearlyCareAnymore
stu said:

calbear80 said:

I'm surprised this advice wasn't posted after the Colorado win.

Regarding WBB, I wonder what coach would achieve a winning record with exactly two healthy guards, equivalent to Brandon Smith and Dimitrios Klonaras, and all but one of the other players freshies. BTW they didn't play last week because they couldn't field the PAC-12 minimum of 7 scholarship players. That said, I'd look at what the trainers are doing.

Were you as surprised all the "everything is peachy we are going to win the rest of our games posts" that followed the CU game weren't posted after any of the 14 conference losses.

I don't agree with 80 because at some point Cal has to stop funding buyouts. However, if Cal were a professional sports franchise, based on results his advice would be unquestionably spot on. The knowlton hire has been a disaster as have been his major hires. I don't know about the wbb hire but the mbb hire was predictable.

And yes, we just got destroyed by the coach hired into an equally bad program at the same time. A hire many here mocked
stu
calbear80 said:

Only because mathematically it is impossible to do worse than this season's 0.000 winning percentage!!

This afternoon Cal WBB was ahead of #7/#10 Arizona (those are national rankings, not conference) in the 4th quarter. At the end we ran out of gas - two players had to play 40 minutes and a third (who was in high school 2 months ago) played 38.
wifeisafurd
stu said:

calbear80 said:

This afternoon Cal WBB was ahead of #7/#10 Arizona (those are national rankings, not conference) in the 4th quarter. At the end we ran out of gas - two players had to play 40 minutes and a third (who was in high school 2 months ago) played 38.
the women's basketball strange year is an outlier, and Smith who has the pedigree and recruited very well needs more time to be evaluated. The men's situation is a matter of compounded errors and distinctive from the women's situation.
calbear80
stu said:

calbear80 said:

Bottom Line For WBB:
0-12 (0.000) in Pac-12.
0-14 (0.000) overall, with embarrassing losses to Bakersfield and SJSU.

Results count. Are you proud of these results?

P.S. The fact that we are talking about Cal WBB here says a lot. That is because now a days, nobody care about or posts in the Forum about Cal WBB. And, this comes from a person who has closely followed Cal WBB play by play and posted about it from five different continents sometimes at 2 or 3 after midnight local times.
stu
calbear80 said:

P.S. The fact that we are talking about WBB here says a lot. Now a days, nobody care about or posts in the Forum about Cal WBB.
Today the WBB forum has had 20 new posts.
calbear80
And, there would be 200 new posts if we were 14-0 rather 0-14 (I alone made10-15 posts from Holy Land on the night we beat USC around eight years ago and several more posts from Saranagati Desert when Cal WBB was competitive around six years ago).
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.