Fox is now officially on the clock.

21,885 Views | 184 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by calumnus
calumnus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
drizzlybear said:

OaktownBear said:

drizzlybear said:

OaktownBear said:

drizzlybear said:

OaktownBear said:

drizzlybear said:

Your post accused me of closing my eyes and hoping, and of not being willing to address a burning house. I view those as unfair attacks, and not a serious consideration of my position. I gave a very lengthy response to another poster's (BigDaddyBear?) request for my view in the matter. If you're really interested in understanding and discussing my view on the matter, take a look at that post and let me know if you still have questions or want to have a respectful debate on any of the points therein.
Look, I DO appreciate you responding in depth to BigDaddyBear, but this is why he characterized it as closing your eyes and hoping. You didn't answer BigDaddy's question. His question was "what do you see today that tells you he is the man to turn things around?" It was not "why aren't you ready to fire him?" This is a very important distinction to those of us on my side. We hear a lot of "these are the reasons why I'm not positive he is going to fail". We hear virtually nothing saying "Here are the reasons he is awesome and is going to put this program on track". We see the other side as approaching this like a criminal court case. We must get 12 out of 12 jurors to find a coach guilty of sucking beyond a reasonable doubt before we can fire the coach. We don't think that is the standard. The standard is, is this guy the one that will turn my program around. We hear a lot of reasons not to fire him. We hear virtually no one saying anything beyond give him a chance. We hear no one pointing to his record or attributes and saying "this is why he is the man to do it". Honestly, you probably did the most in the above post and if you break it down you did very little.

Quote:

First, I place some basic level of faith or benefit of the doubt in the people Cal has in place to make the hire in the first place. I understand that lots of people here do not have such faith in the individual nor the process used to hire Fox. I don't have that level of knowledge, so I start by assuming some basic level of competency at Cal.

See that IS closing your eyes specifically and generally. Specifically, all evidence points to the fact that Cal does not deserve that faith. I'm not even going to bother presenting evidence of that. So giving them that is eye closing.

Generally, I agree with your humility. But while you might not be better than they are, you can look at what people in the same position do and make a judgment. I will tell you that if Cal has to choose between me and Tom Holmoe to coach football, they should hire Tom Holmoe. But I will also tell you that I can easily tell that will be a disaster.

Quote:

Given that assumption, I assume there were good reasons for hiring him.
Since the underlying assumption was eye closing, the follow up assumption is eye closing. Further, Knowlton was very explicit in his reasons for hiring Fox. There is no reason to assume anything beyond that. You should judge that, not assume he had good reasons. If you think his reasons were sound, fine. If you just assume there had to be sound reasons, that is eye closing.

Quote:

I don't know enough about the situation to substitute my opinion for those with the responsibility and handsome pay to make those decisions.
But you do know enough to judge those paid handsomely against others paid handsomely.

Quote:

At its most superficial level I see a guy who has had a good amount of experience as a high level college basketball coach, with mixed results of some success and some mediocrity. Mediocre prior results alone don't dictate my view as to what he might bring at this time. (If it did, then the Yankees should never have hired Joe Torre, the A's never hired Tony LaRussa, nor USC hired Pete Carroll, and Wayne a tinkle would've been long gone from Corvallis before he's now become a darling.) I am open to the possibility that people sometimes learn and improve from prior experiences. So I don't dismiss the hire out of hand from the outset, as it appears many do, and maybe including you.
See, this is directly my point above. There is a difference between saying just because he has been mediocre doesn't mean he will continue to be mediocre and saying this is why he is going to be good. I disagree with your premise. Most mediocre coaches stay mediocre. If you want to hire a good coach, you hire a good coach. You don't hire a mediocre coach and hope he becomes a good one. And if you think one can learn, you don't hire a coach whose conference record has gotten worse 4 years in a row. That is not indicating improvement. But, I'm digressing. The point is that this is not an argument that he is the man for the job. It is an argument that it is possible that he is not not the man for the job.

Quote:

This also raises the point that Cal was not in a strong position to attract a coach in high demand.
Except we know of candidates that were interested.

Quote:

It might be the case that Cal's objective was not to select the coach who would get us to the promised land, but rather a coach who would get us out of the burning dumpster and into a place of competitive stability where we could maybe then attract the coach who could get us to the promised land.
Then Cal lied to us. I can only take what they say at face value:

Quote:

Mark Fox is a man of unparalleled integrity with a proven record of success as a head basketball coach," athletic director Jim Knowlton said. "He is an inspiring leader, a teacher and an exceptional communicator who has displayed a strong commitment to developing the entire student-athlete on the court and off the court. We had an exceptional pool of candidates, and through the entire process, one person clearly rose to the top. I am excited to welcome Mark to the Cal family and look forward to him leading Cal men's basketball program to new heights. We want our teams to be exceptional, and I firmly believe that Mark is the person to lead us there

Quote:

I also was impressed with the work and experience Fox got in the year prior to coaching Cal. I think he was doing some sort of national team thing that had him on staff with Jeff Van Gundy whom I REALLY like, and others. I heard Fox was bringing into Cal practices well-respected coaches like Van Gundy and Mike Montgomery, etc. This seemed good.
Hey - THIS was a positive reason. Thank you. It is an extremely weak one. But thank you. Lots of coaches do this sort of thing, especially when they are fired. As an aside, Van Gundy is an okay coach but nothing to write home about. On top of that, Tom Holmoe worked more with Bill Walsh, a much better coach than Van Gundy, and fat lot that demonstrated.

Quote:

Then, in Year 1, I thought Fox did a decent job with a super young and depleted roster.
Positive again, if very faint.

Quote:

Anyway, back to Year 1, I thought the floor was raised pretty quickly despite a far less talented roster. And, IIRC, the team generally improved later in the season. So that reflected well on Fox's coaching
Positive. Very faint, but positive. Note, I did not argue that he should be fired after last year. I don't view it as positive but as a passing grade.

Quote:

It's worth noting that none other than Jon Wilner (not known for being a Cal homer) voted Fox Pac12 Coach of the Year. And I believe that wasn't the only COY vote Fox received but can't verify

Wilner is an idiot. I have no idea if he got any other votes, but you or I can judge results as well as the next. There is no way a coach with that record should get any COY votes. That is more of an indictment on the Cal program than it is a positive.

Quote:

I do recall Fox receiving significant praise from the analysts on Pac12net.
I heard Monty give glowing praise to Braun on television the year he got fired. Almost every telecast gives both coaches praise.

These are not positives. These are other people's opinions

Quote:

Meanwhile, the recruiting seemed so-so, but of course recruiting is usually a longer-term deal, and in any case, Cal was not in a strong position to attract top talent. So, as with Wilcox, I was/am patient on the recruiting issue. Fwiw, I'm encouraged by some of the recruits Fox has brought in so far. They seem to have the long-term potential akin to the players Mike Montgomery brought in.
Not a positive. So so is optimistic. Monty's classes were clearly rated higher.

Quote:

That brings us to this year. My impression of this year is that Cal was awful for the first third or more of the season. It was disappointing. I had hoped for Wilcox-like improvement; not meteoric, but steady. But then I thought the team played consistently decent basketball relative to its talent level over the last half of the season.
We radically disagree on this point. That is fine. We have discussed it. This is a positive, but I just don't see how you can claim it is a big one.

Quote:

To me, not only am I patient enough to suffer a blip of a bad season for whatever reason, but I thought that this team was hit especially hard by covid and it seemed to make sense to what I felt I was seeing. Specifically, what this Cal team needed above anything else during the offseason was time on the court playing together. This team was young and what it needed above anything else, especially players like Brown, Kuany, and Lars who have great physical gifts but whose skills are very raw, was time on the court together. And that's precisely what COVID prevented. So, to me, not only do i have the patience to give a coach a bad year (and maybe even a second one if there should be another), I felt there's actually some reasonable explanation for this particular bad year. The fact that the team, IMO, improved relative to its competition over the course of the season again supported the theory that COVID impacts were particularly difficult for this team early in the season.
Please stop. The 6 main players this year were 2 juniors, 1 senior, 2 graduates and a sophomore. They are not young or inexperienced. Yes, Covid interfered with practice in November.They have had virtually no interference since then. I'd estimate they had 80-100 days playing and practicing together with minimal Covid interference. This just sounds like a catch all excuse, but it isn't.

Quote:

Unfortunately, on this board if you don't support firing the coach yesterday you are depicted as having no critical thinking and no standards for the coaching performance. That's not the case with me. For me, the jury is still out. Of course I'll support the coach as a fan, but I don't mind criticisms. What I do tend to respond to are posts that appear to me to be cheap or unreasonable shots. Unfortunately there's been a lot of those. But that gets misunderstood as an inability or unwillingness to have or state my own criticisms of the coach. In the face of relentless and high-shrill criticisms throughout this season, there hasn't been much space allowed for more nuanced discussion, unfortunately.

So what do you characterize as a cheap or unreasonable shot? Because I don't see a lot here. I see people arguing his performance is not good enough. I see people arguing he should be fired. If that is cheap and unreasonable, I'm sorry, what am I supposed to do? It feels like just shut up.

Again, I do appreciate you answering, but even so, I'm sorry, some of it sounds like saying things to say things. His recruiting is not "so-so". You want to say it is too early, fine, but it isn't on par with Monty. That is just incorrect so it doesn't seem like you actually critically thought about that. Working with someone like Van Gundy when you are out of work is not special. That doesn't seem like something that was critically thought about. Blaming Covid 3-4 months after it was an issue does not seem like something that was critically thought of. Having "faith" is by definition not critical thought.

But at least you are presenting something I can respond to. I can't respond to "You have to support the team", "If you don't have the money to pay the buy out, shut up". "He isn't getting fired now so what is the point?" "He deserves a chance". These are not arguments. There is nothing there I can respond to.

I have to go back to the unreasonable shot point. Because that is a key one for me. I have been on here for over 20 years. I've been on the fire the coach side and on the support the coach side. But one thing is consistent is that some on the support the coach side always treats the fire the coach side like petulant babies who always want to fire the coach and think there is some nobility in being on the support side. There are some fans that do just vent on the coach, but there are plenty that don't. Frankly, we have mostly purged the "fire the bum" crowd through apathy. I see a lot of detailed arguments and facts coming from the fire side right now and I see a lot of very loose arguments coming from other side. I have not taken cheap shots at Fox at all. I've said he was the wrong guy for this job. I have even said I would consider him for a mid major job.

OMG, you are exhausting. I already taxed myself with my lengthy post to BDB.

I don't cite Wilner because I think he's a genius, but at least I recognize and appreciate that it is actually his full-time job to be informed about these things, plus I know he has access to people and information that I don't. Also, it's my experience that he takes his voting responsibilities seriously and transparently. Still, if you want to completely dismiss his view that contradicts yours by calling him an idiot, then I guess that's just more you being you. My point in referencing him is to show one very prominent objectively non-Cal example of someone who believes Fox did an excellent job, indeed the best of all Pac12 coaches, in his first year at Cal. Call me an irrational Cal homer if you like, it's surely true, but you certainly can't call Wilner that (although I guess what you do then is call him an idiot).)

Help Wanted. Goal post Movers. Please contact drizzly to apply.
Quote:

Falling: Cal Basketball

The Hotline will publish projections for the 2021-22 conference race later this month, once we gain clarity on the rosters.

Spoiler alert: The Bears will be picked last.

That was our lean immediately after the season, but it's obvious now that star guard Matt Bradley has entered the transfer portal.

Bradley was the only high-level talent on the roster, the only player who averaged more than 10 points per game the player who made everyone better. There's always a chance Bradley reverses course and returns for 2021-22, but we're assuming he's gone for good, desiring a change of scenery and chance for success.

In his three seasons, the Bears are 13-43 in conference play. Third-year coach Mark Fox needs help, immediately, but Cal lacks flexibility with the transfer portal because of the academic piece.

The outlook is gloomy in Berkeley.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/04/07/pac-12-stock-report-major-change-likely-for-intra-conference-transfer-policy-for-football-and-basketball-players/

By the way. Wilner does not have a vote for coach of the year. He does not have to take his "vote" seriously. He just wrote his unofficial post season awards in a column. The coach of the year award is voted on by coaches.

Wait, are you dismissing Wilner's credibility but then simultaneously also citing Wilner to make a point? Talk about moving goal posts. I believe the only point you're proving is that you do indeed continue to take unfair shots. I have no idea what you're referring to by accusing me of "moving goal posts", but I am starting to enjoy how much my "jury's still out" position bothers you.

No dude. I don't care what Wilmer thinks. He stated the obvious and it doesn't bolster my point whatsoever. YOU WERE THE ONE WHO MADE SUCH A BIG DEAL ABOUT HOW IMPORTANT IT WAS THAT WILNER, a man paid for his expertise. A man who supposedly has sources (he doesn't) a man neutral to Cal, said Fox did a good job. YOU WERE THE ONE CHAMPIONING HIS CREDIBILITY AND YOU MADE IT A BIG PART OF YOUR ARGUMENT FOR FOX. I said he is an idiot and then you defended him some more.

I'm citing it as cratering your point. Either WILNER is a good source or he isn't. I say he isn't, BUT YOU SAY HE US. So your source just told you he sees us clearly in last next year and things look very bad. Not w what are you going to do with that? You can't cite him as a great source when he says what you want and ignore it when he doesn't. I think he is a lousy source and am happy to ignore him which would eviscerate your initial point. Or we can call him a good source which means Wilner has now changed his mind based on new info and sees our program being in the toilet, also eviscerating your point.

Further, when I then went back and looked, you totally misrepresented the COY thing. Fox didn't get any votes. A guy who wrote a column picked him as his choice and also in that column said he would face lots of derision for it.

Nope. Once again you've incorrectly assumed my argument, put words in my mouth, and then argued against those words you made up for me because apparently you can't adequately argue against the words I actually do say. Let me be clear: I have no problem with Wilner picking Cal, at this point in time, to finish in last place next season. So, no, I'm not the inconsistent one. You are the one who is making a big deal out of what Wilner says now, but calling him an idiot when his view is contrary to yours. Keep trying.

Also, even though you bold what I wrote, you continue to misunderstand it. I will repeat: I did not cite Wilner because I thought he was a genius. I cited him to provide an example of at least one prominent professional Pac12 voice who is not a Cal fan yet publicly stated that Fox did a good job his first year at Cal, and in fact selected Mark Fox for his Coach if the Year selection. This might break your brain because of how much you've invested yourself in an inaccurate perception of my opinion of Fox, but I actually do not agree with Wilner in that selection. I think Fox did a decent job in Year 1, but not COY level.
But go ahead, keep arguing against your fantasy of me. Btw, you still haven't come up with any basis for your "move the goal posts" shot. We're still waiting...

Wilner's opinion was goofy, Cronin deserved the COY he won last year, which he proved again this year.

The last time Cal scored fewer points per game than we did in Fox's first year (63.2) was 1984-85 (62.1) you know, the season that finally got the great Dick Kuchen fired.
The only way that last season looks "good" is possibly in relation to the prior year and prior coach who was also fired for reason.

Fox will be our coach another year. I think 12th again is likely, so I agree with Wilner on that, but I can't blame you or others if you want to be optimistic and think Fox can do better. Maybe UW will flame out again and we can grab 11th? Maybe if he gets us to 8th again Wilner votes for him to get COY.

BearlyCareAnymore
drizzlybear said:

OaktownBear said:

drizzlybear said:

OaktownBear said:

drizzlybear said:

OaktownBear said:

drizzlybear said:

Your post accused me of closing my eyes and hoping, and of not being willing to address a burning house. I view those as unfair attacks, and not a serious consideration of my position. I gave a very lengthy response to another poster's (BigDaddyBear?) request for my view in the matter. If you're really interested in understanding and discussing my view on the matter, take a look at that post and let me know if you still have questions or want to have a respectful debate on any of the points therein.
Look, I DO appreciate you responding in depth to BigDaddyBear, but this is why he characterized it as closing your eyes and hoping. You didn't answer BigDaddy's question. His question was "what do you see today that tells you he is the man to turn things around?" It was not "why aren't you ready to fire him?" This is a very important distinction to those of us on my side. We hear a lot of "these are the reasons why I'm not positive he is going to fail". We hear virtually nothing saying "Here are the reasons he is awesome and is going to put this program on track". We see the other side as approaching this like a criminal court case. We must get 12 out of 12 jurors to find a coach guilty of sucking beyond a reasonable doubt before we can fire the coach. We don't think that is the standard. The standard is, is this guy the one that will turn my program around. We hear a lot of reasons not to fire him. We hear virtually no one saying anything beyond give him a chance. We hear no one pointing to his record or attributes and saying "this is why he is the man to do it". Honestly, you probably did the most in the above post and if you break it down you did very little.

Quote:

First, I place some basic level of faith or benefit of the doubt in the people Cal has in place to make the hire in the first place. I understand that lots of people here do not have such faith in the individual nor the process used to hire Fox. I don't have that level of knowledge, so I start by assuming some basic level of competency at Cal.

See that IS closing your eyes specifically and generally. Specifically, all evidence points to the fact that Cal does not deserve that faith. I'm not even going to bother presenting evidence of that. So giving them that is eye closing.

Generally, I agree with your humility. But while you might not be better than they are, you can look at what people in the same position do and make a judgment. I will tell you that if Cal has to choose between me and Tom Holmoe to coach football, they should hire Tom Holmoe. But I will also tell you that I can easily tell that will be a disaster.

Quote:

Since the underlying assumption was eye closing, the follow up assumption is eye closing. Further, Knowlton was very explicit in his reasons for hiring Fox. There is no reason to assume anything beyond that. You should judge that, not assume he had good reasons. If you think his reasons were sound, fine. If you just assume there had to be sound reasons, that is eye closing.

Quote:

I don't know enough about the situation to substitute my opinion for those with the responsibility and handsome pay to make those decisions.
But you do know enough to judge those paid handsomely against others paid handsomely.

Quote:

At its most superficial level I see a guy who has had a good amount of experience as a high level college basketball coach, with mixed results of some success and some mediocrity. Mediocre prior results alone don't dictate my view as to what he might bring at this time. (If it did, then the Yankees should never have hired Joe Torre, the A's never hired Tony LaRussa, nor USC hired Pete Carroll, and Wayne a tinkle would've been long gone from Corvallis before he's now become a darling.) I am open to the possibility that people sometimes learn and improve from prior experiences. So I don't dismiss the hire out of hand from the outset, as it appears many do, and maybe including you.
See, this is directly my point above. There is a difference between saying just because he has been mediocre doesn't mean he will continue to be mediocre and saying this is why he is going to be good. I disagree with your premise. Most mediocre coaches stay mediocre. If you want to hire a good coach, you hire a good coach. You don't hire a mediocre coach and hope he becomes a good one. And if you think one can learn, you don't hire a coach whose conference record has gotten worse 4 years in a row. That is not indicating improvement. But, I'm digressing. The point is that this is not an argument that he is the man for the job. It is an argument that it is possible that he is not not the man for the job.

Quote:

This also raises the point that Cal was not in a strong position to attract a coach in high demand.

Quote:

It might be the case that Cal's objective was not to select the coach who would get us to the promised land, but rather a coach who would get us out of the burning dumpster and into a place of competitive stability where we could maybe then attract the coach who could get us to the promised land.

Quote:

Mark Fox is a man of unparalleled integrity with a proven record of success as a head basketball coach," athletic director Jim Knowlton said. "He is an inspiring leader, a teacher and an exceptional communicator who has displayed a strong commitment to developing the entire student-athlete on the court and off the court. We had an exceptional pool of candidates, and through the entire process, one person clearly rose to the top. I am excited to welcome Mark to the Cal family and look forward to him leading Cal men's basketball program to new heights. We want our teams to be exceptional, and I firmly believe that Mark is the person to lead us there

Quote:

I also was impressed with the work and experience Fox got in the year prior to coaching Cal. I think he was doing some sort of national team thing that had him on staff with Jeff Van Gundy whom I REALLY like, and others. I heard Fox was bringing into Cal practices well-respected coaches like Van Gundy and Mike Montgomery, etc. This seemed good.
Hey - THIS was a positive reason. Thank you. It is an extremely weak one. But thank you. Lots of coaches do this sort of thing, especially when they are fired. As an aside, Van Gundy is an okay coach but nothing to write home about. On top of that, Tom Holmoe worked more with Bill Walsh, a much better coach than Van Gundy, and fat lot that demonstrated.

Quote:

Then, in Year 1, I thought Fox did a decent job with a super young and depleted roster.

Quote:

Anyway, back to Year 1, I thought the floor was raised pretty quickly despite a far less talented roster. And, IIRC, the team generally improved later in the season. So that reflected well on Fox's coaching
Positive. Very faint, but positive. Note, I did not argue that he should be fired after last year. I don't view it as positive but as a passing grade.

Quote:

It's worth noting that none other than Jon Wilner (not known for being a Cal homer) voted Fox Pac12 Coach of the Year. And I believe that wasn't the only COY vote Fox received but can't verify

Wilner is an idiot. I have no idea if he got any other votes, but you or I can judge results as well as the next. There is no way a coach with that record should get any COY votes. That is more of an indictment on the Cal program than it is a positive.

Quote:

I heard Monty give glowing praise to Braun on television the year he got fired. Almost every telecast gives both coaches praise.

Quote:

Meanwhile, the recruiting seemed so-so, but of course recruiting is usually a longer-term deal, and in any case, Cal was not in a strong position to attract top talent. So, as with Wilcox, I was/am patient on the recruiting issue. Fwiw, I'm encouraged by some of the recruits Fox has brought in so far. They seem to have the long-term potential akin to the players Mike Montgomery brought in.

Quote:

That brings us to this year. My impression of this year is that Cal was awful for the first third or more of the season. It was disappointing. I had hoped for Wilcox-like improvement; not meteoric, but steady. But then I thought the team played consistently decent basketball relative to its talent level over the last half of the season.
We radically disagree on this point. That is fine. We have discussed it. This is a positive, but I just don't see how you can claim it is a big one.

Quote:

To me, not only am I patient enough to suffer a blip of a bad season for whatever reason, but I thought that this team was hit especially hard by covid and it seemed to make sense to what I felt I was seeing. Specifically, what this Cal team needed above anything else during the offseason was time on the court playing together. This team was young and what it needed above anything else, especially players like Brown, Kuany, and Lars who have great physical gifts but whose skills are very raw, was time on the court together. And that's precisely what COVID prevented. So, to me, not only do i have the patience to give a coach a bad year (and maybe even a second one if there should be another), I felt there's actually some reasonable explanation for this particular bad year. The fact that the team, IMO, improved relative to its competition over the course of the season again supported the theory that COVID impacts were particularly difficult for this team early in the season.
Please stop. The 6 main players this year were 2 juniors, 1 senior, 2 graduates and a sophomore. They are not young or inexperienced. Yes, Covid interfered with practice in November.They have had virtually no interference since then. I'd estimate they had 80-100 days playing and practicing together with minimal Covid interference. This just sounds like a catch all excuse, but it isn't.

Quote:

Unfortunately, on this board if you don't support firing the coach yesterday you are depicted as having no critical thinking and no standards for the coaching performance. That's not the case with me. For me, the jury is still out. Of course I'll support the coach as a fan, but I don't mind criticisms. What I do tend to respond to are posts that appear to me to be cheap or unreasonable shots. Unfortunately there's been a lot of those. But that gets misunderstood as an inability or unwillingness to have or state my own criticisms of the coach. In the face of relentless and high-shrill criticisms throughout this season, there hasn't been much space allowed for more nuanced discussion, unfortunately.

So what do you characterize as a cheap or unreasonable shot? Because I don't see a lot here. I see people arguing his performance is not good enough. I see people arguing he should be fired. If that is cheap and unreasonable, I'm sorry, what am I supposed to do? It feels like just shut up.

Again, I do appreciate you answering, but even so, I'm sorry, some of it sounds like saying things to say things. His recruiting is not "so-so". You want to say it is too early, fine, but it isn't on par with Monty. That is just incorrect so it doesn't seem like you actually critically thought about that. Working with someone like Van Gundy when you are out of work is not special. That doesn't seem like something that was critically thought about. Blaming Covid 3-4 months after it was an issue does not seem like something that was critically thought of. Having "faith" is by definition not critical thought.

But at least you are presenting something I can respond to. I can't respond to "You have to support the team", "If you don't have the money to pay the buy out, shut up". "He isn't getting fired now so what is the point?" "He deserves a chance". These are not arguments. There is nothing there I can respond to.

I have to go back to the unreasonable shot point. Because that is a key one for me. I have been on here for over 20 years. I've been on the fire the coach side and on the support the coach side. But one thing is consistent is that some on the support the coach side always treats the fire the coach side like petulant babies who always want to fire the coach and think there is some nobility in being on the support side. There are some fans that do just vent on the coach, but there are plenty that don't. Frankly, we have mostly purged the "fire the bum" crowd through apathy. I see a lot of detailed arguments and facts coming from the fire side right now and I see a lot of very loose arguments coming from other side. I have not taken cheap shots at Fox at all. I've said he was the wrong guy for this job. I have even said I would consider him for a mid major job.

I don't cite Wilner because I think he's a genius, but at least I recognize and appreciate that it is actually his full-time job to be informed about these things, plus I know he has access to people and information that I don't. Also, it's my experience that he takes his voting responsibilities seriously and transparently. Still, if you want to completely dismiss his view that contradicts yours by calling him an idiot, then I guess that's just more you being you. My point in referencing him is to show one very prominent objectively non-Cal example of someone who believes Fox did an excellent job, indeed the best of all Pac12 coaches, in his first year at Cal. Call me an irrational Cal homer if you like, it's surely true, but you certainly can't call Wilner that (although I guess what you do then is call him an idiot).)

Quote:

The Hotline will publish projections for the 2021-22 conference race later this month, once we gain clarity on the rosters.

That was our lean immediately after the season, but it's obvious now that star guard Matt Bradley has entered the transfer portal.

Bradley was the only high-level talent on the roster, the only player who averaged more than 10 points per game the player who made everyone better. There's always a chance Bradley reverses course and returns for 2021-22, but we're assuming he's gone for good, desiring a change of scenery and chance for success.

In his three seasons, the Bears are 13-43 in conference play. Third-year coach Mark Fox needs help, immediately, but Cal lacks flexibility with the transfer portal because of the academic piece.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/04/07/pac-12-stock-report-major-change-likely-for-intra-conference-transfer-policy-for-football-and-basketball-players/

By the way. Wilner does not have a vote for coach of the year. He does not have to take his "vote" seriously. He just wrote his unofficial post season awards in a column. The coach of the year award is voted on by coaches.

Wait, are you dismissing Wilner's credibility but then simultaneously also citing Wilner to make a point? Talk about moving goal posts. I believe the only point you're proving is that you do indeed continue to take unfair shots. I have no idea what you're referring to by accusing me of "moving goal posts", but I am starting to enjoy how much my "jury's still out" position bothers you.

No dude. I don't care what Wilmer thinks. He stated the obvious and it doesn't bolster my point whatsoever. YOU WERE THE ONE WHO MADE SUCH A BIG DEAL ABOUT HOW IMPORTANT IT WAS THAT WILNER, a man paid for his expertise. A man who supposedly has sources (he doesn't) a man neutral to Cal, said Fox did a good job. YOU WERE THE ONE CHAMPIONING HIS CREDIBILITY AND YOU MADE IT A BIG PART OF YOUR ARGUMENT FOR FOX. I said he is an idiot and then you defended him some more.

I'm citing it as cratering your point. Either WILNER is a good source or he isn't. I say he isn't, BUT YOU SAY HE US. So your source just told you he sees us clearly in last next year and things look very bad. Not w what are you going to do with that? You can't cite him as a great source when he says what you want and ignore it when he doesn't. I think he is a lousy source and am happy to ignore him which would eviscerate your initial point. Or we can call him a good source which means Wilner has now changed his mind based on new info and sees our program being in the toilet, also eviscerating your point.

Further, when I then went back and looked, you totally misrepresented the COY thing. Fox didn't get any votes. A guy who wrote a column picked him as his choice and also in that column said he would face lots of derision for it.

Nope. Once again you've incorrectly assumed my argument, put words in my mouth, and then argued against those words you made up for me because apparently you can't adequately argue against the words I actually do say. Let me be clear: I have no problem with Wilner picking Cal, at this point in time, to finish in last place next season. So, no, I'm not the inconsistent one. You are the one who is making a big deal out of what Wilner says now, but calling him an idiot when his view is contrary to yours. Keep trying.

Also, even though you bold what I wrote, you continue to misunderstand it. I will repeat: I did not cite Wilner because I thought he was a genius. I cited him to provide an example of at least one prominent professional Pac12 voice who is not a Cal fan yet publicly stated that Fox did a good job his first year at Cal, and in fact selected Mark Fox for his Coach if the Year selection. This might break your brain because of how much you've invested yourself in an inaccurate perception of my opinion of Fox, but I actually do not agree with Wilner in that selection. I think Fox did a decent job in Year 1, but not COY level.
But go ahead, keep arguing against your fantasy of me. Btw, you still haven't come up with any basis for your "move the goal posts" shot. We're still waiting...

Dude. You put an expert witness on the stand to defend your client. Then your expert witness said your client was guilty. You lose.
Fyght4Cal
Let's ask Wilner the odds that you'll stop all of this who-shot-John.
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
drizzlybear
OaktownBear said:

drizzlybear said:

OaktownBear said:

drizzlybear said:

OaktownBear said:

drizzlybear said:

OaktownBear said:

drizzlybear said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Dude. You put an expert witness on the stand to defend your client. Then your expert witness said your client was guilty. You lose.

Dude, you might be in the wrong court room because you continue to not grasp the case presented.
BearlyCareAnymore
drizzlybear said:

OaktownBear said:

drizzlybear said:

OaktownBear said:

drizzlybear said:

OaktownBear said:

drizzlybear said:

OaktownBear said:

drizzlybear said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Dude, you might be in the wrong court room because you continue to not grasp the case presented.

His opinion is either valuable or it's not. You can't have it both ways.

Say you have a medical malpractice case. You call an expert witness. You ask him to provide a review of the defendant's competence in 2020. He says the defendant did a fine job in 2020. On cross the plaintiff asks how he did in 2021. Your expert says he amputated the wrong limb several times and killed several people with his incompetence.

That is exactly what just happened. It doesn't matter that you cite Wilner for 2020. If you want to cite him for 2020 and he has a radically different opinion of 2021, the jury hears both and your case got cratered. You don't get to say Wilner is great when he says positive things about Fox and irrelevant when he says negative things.
socaltownie
drizzlybear said:

OaktownBear said:

drizzlybear said:

OaktownBear said:

drizzlybear said:

OaktownBear said:

drizzlybear said:

OaktownBear said:

drizzlybear said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wilner was impressed with his work year 1. Really impressed. A lot of us were.

But College coaching is LARGELY not about player development (anymore). It is about recruiting and especially recruiting (and integrating) guys who are not going to be sticking around 4 years. I

Here is the simple way to understand that. Duke could have ANYONE it wants that is interested in playing for 4 years and who show the talent to get "coached up" my arguably the greatest BB coach of all time (or at leas in the modern era). It was, in fact, how Duke teams won.

And yet that isn't (after sorta sampling that water) that coach K has gone. Like everyone else he understand that the way to winning - especially in a sport where there are 66 highly valued tournament slots - is by recruiting (and retaining) elite talent.

That is where Fox has failed. He has shown limited (no?) ability to go out and recruit guys that are even CLOSE to upper division in the Pac12 - much less NBA potential. Indeed, he has LOST the guys he inherited with that skill.

That is the point of the most recently Wilner post - where he picks them to finish last. Dead last. He might even think it impressive when Fox gets to 7 wins with a MB-less roster but that still is last.

That is the problem. He has the personality skills of a toad. I hoped it was a problem with the media and behind the scenes he wasn't bad. However, it is clear he is and that his "routine" is just not going to fly with most young men skilled in basketball.
socaliganbear
Damn Cal for enabling an argument over a coach who hasn't won an tournament game in 14 years. Damnit all.
calumnus
socaliganbear said:

Damn Cal for enabling an argument over a coach who hasn't won an tournament game in 14 years. Damnit all.

He inherited a great team and great incoming recruits from Trent Johnson in Nevada. He has been making over a $million a year ever since with nothing to show for it. 14 years since he won a game in the Tournament. He was on the decline at Nevada when Georgia hired him. He only continued that decline at Georgia. That is why they finally fired him and no one hired him. Not even a mid-major.

If he could not win a Tournament game in 9 years at Georgia, why do people think he can win one at Cal?

I honestly could have made a better argument for retaining Jones and giving him more time than Ive seen anyone make for hiring/retaining Fox.
oskidunker
calumnus said:

socaliganbear said:

He inherited a great team and great incoming recruits from Trent Johnson in Nevada. He has been making over a $million a year ever since with nothing to show for it. 14 years since he won a game in the Tournament. He was on the decline at Nevada when Georgia hired him. He only continued that decline at Georgia. That is why they finally fired him and no one hired him. Not even a mid-major.

If he could not win a Tournament game in 9 years at Georgia, why do people think he can win one at Cal?

I honestly could have made a better argument for retaining Jones and giving him more time than Ive seen anyone make for hiring/retaining Fox.
Teams under Jones were fundamentally unsound l remember when we could not inbound the ball and we kept trying from the same corner? Jones did NOTHING to help the team. Its a game we should have won .NO THANK YOU. Ill take Fox over Jones.
Go Bears!
calumnus
oskidunker said:

calumnus said:

socaliganbear said:

Teams under Jones were fundamentally unsound l remember when we could not inbound the ball and we kept trying from the same corner? Jones did NOTHING to help the team. Its a game we should have won .NO THANK YOU. Ill take Fox over Jones.

No doubt. Wyking was in over his head and it showed. He made a lot of rookie mistakes. Learning on the job.

However, the team definitely improved over the course of the season. We won our last 3 conference games including beating that year's PAC-12 champion and then #25 ranked Washington and our final game beating Stanford at Stanford (something Monty only did twice). The team looked MUCH better. We finished #182 in Recent in Jones' 2nd year of coaching which is not much worse than the #139 we just finished in Fox's 16th.

Wyking in his second year was on an upward trend. His coaching was improving. Recruiting was improving. We had a very young team with some talent. The fact that they ended up a decent team after so much losing was a testament to their coach. They did not quit. They got better. I think the chances Jones would have been a better coach in his 4th year and finished at least as good as Fox just did at #139 in Recent and last place are pretty good since he matched Fox's win totals this year in only his second year. Certainly the roster would be better. Plus we would have $millions more in the bank.

I am not ultimately arguing we should have kept Jones, I am arguing we should not have fired him to hire Fox. There are probably 100 other up and coming coaches with more experience than Jones, but not the many years of proven mediocrity of Fox that I would have hired. The pick your poison, Jones in year 4 or this past year under Fox, is a false dichotomy. If those are our only two choices I take the unknown chance of Jones in year 4, he couldn't have done worse than last. However, those were not the only two choices, or shouldn't have been.
calumnus
oskidunker said:

calumnus said:

socaliganbear said:

Year 1 with Jones was really bad, 14.7 turnovers per game, but in his second year he lowered that to 11.4, one of the lowest rates in the country.

Under Fox it was 12.8 turnovers in year 1 and 12.8 in year 2.

Even with Jones' horrible first year we averaged more turnovers per game under Fox, and given that we play one of the slowest paces in the country our turnovers per possession under Fox are even higher.

Moreover, we showed significant improvement during the season and season over season with Jones, both in turnovers and wins, which is counter to your premise. With Fox we got worse over the course of the season and season over season.

I agree that Jones was not a good coach, but I don't see evidence that Fox is significantly better. The team commits more turnovers and is among the lowest scoring in the country. Our defense has improved, I will give you that, but it is still very bad.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.