25% of Sweet Sixteen - Still no respect for Pac12

1,982 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by calumnus
BearoutEast67
How long do you want to ignore this user?
How does ESPN's Myron Medcalf (went to Minnesota State?) explain his blind bias in "reseeding" all four Pac12 teams to the bottom of the Sweet 16? https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/31116402/reseeding-men-march-madness-2021-field-sweet-16.

I suppose he would continue this slant through the championship game...
Donate to Cal's NIL at https://calegends.com/donation/
Bobodeluxe
Well earned.
SFCityBear
Press coverage and opinions used to be very regional. Maybe it is still that way. Way back in time, USF got no respect from Eastern and Midwestern sports writers when winning 3 national titles between 1949-1956, nor did Cal when they were heavy underdogs in '59. They usually favored the locals, and did not give our Bay Area teams a chance of winning. I supposed they grudgingly respected UCLA, because they won title after title.
SFCityBear
Sonofoski
SFCityBear said:

Press coverage and opinions used to be very regional. Maybe it is still that way. Way back in time, USF got no respect from Eastern and Midwestern sports writers when winning 3 national titles between 1949-1956, nor did Cal when they were heavy underdogs in '59. They usually favored the locals, and did not give our Bay Area teams a chance of winning. I supposed they grudgingly respected UCLA, because they won title after title.

CAL was the 4th seed in the final four in 1959.

I remember reading in the Cincy paper after CAL beat Cincy a reporter wrote "and CAL, a beautifully coached team could never be driven out of their deliberate style of play."
BearoutEast67
SFCityBear said:

I think the Pac12 Network has really hurt in this regard. It just really sucks to see minor conference games all over the TV with only 1 - 2 Pac12 football games on (with lesser chance of one being Cal). Once there's a new Commissioner, hopefully there will be swift correction of this poor TV exposure. Living on the East Coast, I tend to need to DVR late games to watch them in the morning, otherwise I'm brain-dead for 1-2 days after staying up til 2:30 to 3 am - way too old for that!
Chabbear
My son lives in Boston and when I visit him I tell that I would never move there due to the times of games. I remember staying up only to see Tedford almost break his clipboard after midnight. Heck, if I could afford it, Hawaii and its time zone would be great.
BearoutEast67
3 of the Elite Eight! Does that mean we'd have a .500 record if Cal was in the Big Ten, SEC, or ACC?
dimitrig
BearoutEast67 said:

3 of the Elite Eight! Does that mean we'd have a .500 record if Cal was in the Big Ten, SEC, or ACC?

Cal finished dead last in the conference.

In 23 tries, the only Pac-12 teams Cal beat were (once each):

Colorado
Stanford
Utah
Washington

So... no.

calumnus
Chabbear said:

My son lives in Boston and when I visit him I tell that I would never move there due to the times of games. I remember staying up only to see Tedford almost break his clipboard after midnight. Heck, if I could afford it, Hawaii and its time zone would be great.

Hawaii is ideal, but expensive. Guam is good and very affordable but the East Coast early games are too early.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.