Story Poster
Photo by Al Sermeno - KLC Fotos
Cal Basketball

Matt Bradley Headed for San Diego State

April 12, 2021

Matt Bradley, who led Cal’s men’s basketball team in scoring this past season then entered the transfer portal this week, announced Monday he was heading to San Diego State

“I kind of had in mind where I wanted to head to,” Bradley, who has two years of eligibility remaining, told the San Diego Union-Tribune.. “Before I even reached out to San Diego State, that was a place where in my mind I could see myself playing and establishing myself.”

Bradley had a lot of choices, having heard from such schools as  Gonzaga, Kentucky, Kansas, Oregon, and USC. But the San Bernardino native chose SDSU, which had heavily recruited him out of high school.

Bradley was a second-team all-conference selection in his sophomore and junior seasons at Cal after averaging 17.5 and 18.0 points (the latter ranking third in the Pac-12 last season). He’s a career 40.2 percent shooter behind the arc, has a lethal mid-range game and at 6-foot-4, 230 pounds can finish through contact at the rim.

The lefty scored in double figures in all but one game last season and 11 times was in the 20s despite missing seven games with an ankle injury. He had 29 points against Colorado, and 26 points and 10 rebounds against Arizona State.

His 19-point, six-rebound, six-assist effort was the difference in the win over Stanford in the Pac-12 tournament.

But there were signs late in the season that things were not perfect between Bradley and the Cal coaching staff.  There was one game he didn’t start and head coach Mark Fox refused to say why in the postgame news conference.

More Stories:

Cal Hoops Player Review: Jalen Celestine

Cal Hoops Season Wrap: The Good, The Bad, The What's Nex

Discussion from...

Matt Bradley Headed for San Diego State

10,188 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bobodeluxe
calbears4ever
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Knowlton better fire Fox now
TalcAboutIt
All the best Matt Bradley. As a Cal Bear, I hate to see you go but I completely understand!!!
dimitrig
TalcAboutIt said:

All the best Matt Bradley. As a Cal Bear, I hate to see you go but I completely understand!!!

I don't.

Please explain why he would want to make that change.

Big C
dimitrig said:

TalcAboutIt said:

I don't.

(not saying I agree with the decision, but...)

1. program that has a better chance of winning next season

2. program that has more local excitement around it

3. even closer to his family

4. thinks he'll like the coach better
dimitrig
Big C said:

dimitrig said:

TalcAboutIt said:

I don't.

Here is how I see it:

He's already played years at Cal. It's close enough to SD that I don't buy that this is much of a factor for just one more year. It's not like he's a homesick freshman.

SDSU does have a better chance of winning, but it is in a weaker league that might be considered a step down and has even less exposure than the Pac-12.

He would get a lot of playing time and exposure at Cal. It is not clear that SDSU will help him any more with his professional career.

I don't know the specifics, but this really seems to be about him not liking the direction Cal's basketball program is headed. That could be related to the coach, but maybe not.

I find it very concerning that a star player with only one year of eligibility left and no academic or personal issues would leave Cal to go to SDSU. I would understand better if he was leaving to a traditional basketball power to win more or to a program where he'd get more playing time, but this decision is puzzling to me.

To be honest, I find this really embarrassing for our program. Just when we thought it couldn't get any worse this happened.

BearSD
Bradley has two years of eligibility remaining. The NCAA gave every 2020-21 athlete an extra year of eligibility due to the pandemic. Effectively, 2020-21 didn't count against anyone's NCAA eligibility.
bearister
"The NCAA Division I Council voted Wednesday to grant all athletes the ability to transfer once and be immediately eligible, AP reports.

Why it matters: This will fundamentally alter the landscape of major college football and basketball, two sports where the transfer rate is already skyrocketing.

It will also transform recruiting, as teams build out college scouting departments in addition to their high school recruiting operations.
Some even suggest a "sign-and-place" system could develop where teams without roster spots "place" recruits at smaller schools to later add them as transfers.
Of note: Most NCAA sports already allow transfers to play immediately. Now, the five remaining sports football, men's and women's basketball, baseball and men's hockey will join them.

By the numbers: Nearly 4,000 football and basketball players (men and women) are currently in the transfer portal. This new rule will open the floodgates even further.

Football: Of 12,000 FBS football players, 14.7% transferred in 2019, per the NCAA.
Basketball: The four-year transfer rate in men's hoops has risen from 10% in 2010 to 16% last year. In women's hoops, the rate was 12% last year.
The big picture: Transfers have been part of the fabric of college sports for years. Look no further than Baylor, which got 54% of its points from transfers en route to winning this year's national championship.

Yes, but: As transferring becomes frictionless and even more common, college sports could start to look like professional sports, where rosters are assembled year-to-year and the offseason is full of player movement.
"It's not [about] developing players anymore," Todd Berry, executive director of the American Football Coaches Association, told SI. "It's about assimilating a team for next year that can win."
What's next: The new rule is expected to be approved by the NCAA Board of Directors this month and could take effect immediately."Axios
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Civil Bear
dimitrig said:

Big C said:

dimitrig said:

TalcAboutIt said:

I don't.

Here is how I see it:

He's already played years at Cal. It's close enough to SD that I don't buy that this is much of a factor for just one more year. It's not like he's a homesick freshman.

SDSU does have a better chance of winning, but it is in a weaker league that might be considered a step down and has even less exposure than the Pac-12.

He would get a lot of playing time and exposure at Cal. It is not clear that SDSU will help him any more with his professional career.

I don't know the specifics, but this really seems to be about him not liking the direction Cal's basketball program is headed. That could be related to the coach, but maybe not.

I find it very concerning that a star player with only one year of eligibility left and no academic or personal issues would leave Cal to go to SDSU. I would understand better if he was leaving to a traditional basketball power to win more or to a program where he'd get more playing time, but this decision is puzzling to me.

To be honest, I find this really embarrassing for our program. Just when we thought it couldn't get any worse this happened.

I get what you are saying, but perhaps the emphasis is misplaced. Let's say it wasn't about dislike for the program for argument's sake (although I can't imagine anyone being happy with it at this point). Maybe he wanted to win more AND he wanted to play closer to home in front of friends and family. SDSU then sounds like a logical choice.
parentswerebears
dimitrig said:

Big C said:

dimitrig said:

TalcAboutIt said:

I don't.

Here is how I see it:

I find nothing strange about this. SDSU has WAY more basketball cache than Cal. It has had way more success as a program than Cal in this century and with the way college basketball has gone, programs like SDSU aren't inferior to the lower parts of power 6 conferences (it's not like football). This move makes complete sense, if you look at from a basketball lens. He probably also recognized that there was nothing that Fox could do to help him progress. Bradley has outgrown Cal in its current state.
socaliganbear
parentswerebears said:

dimitrig said:

Big C said:

dimitrig said:

TalcAboutIt said:

I don't.

Here is how I see it:

I find nothing strange about this. SDSU has WAY more basketball cache than Cal. It has had way more success as a program than Cal in this century and with the way college basketball has gone, programs like SDSU aren't inferior to the lower parts of power 6 conferences (it's not like football). This move makes complete sense, if you look at from a basketball lens. He probably also recognized that there was nothing that Fox could do to help him progress. Bradley has outgrown Cal in its current state.

He gets to play at home, very likely make the tourney, and will get significant playing time.
dimitrig
socaliganbear said:

parentswerebears said:

dimitrig said:

Big C said:

dimitrig said:

TalcAboutIt said:

I don't.

Here is how I see it:

He gets to play at home, very likely make the tourney, and will get significant playing time.

Of these three, I would say only the middle one is an actual plus because a lot of players have that as a goal and he hasn't had the chance. However, SDSU is losing their top three scorers from this year's team and it's not a given.

Like I said earlier, SD isn't so far from Berkeley that it should matter.

He *SHOULD* get all the PT he wants on our Cal team. Now, maybe there are indications that he won't and I would call that a source of friction then.

I dont think this decision makes any sense from an academic sense and I'm not sure it helps his prospects as a pro unless SDSU makes the tournament and he has a good showing there.

That he has resorted to taking a chance on that happening to bolster his chanes of a professional career is an indictment on Cal's program.

Cal has had much better recent history of putting players in the pros than SDSU.

BearSD
dimitrig said:

Cal has had much better recent history of putting players in the pros than SDSU.
Somewhat better than SDSU but not impressive compared to top programs in the west (or elsewhere).

Current NBA players from each team:

Cal 1, SDSU 3, Arizona 11, Gonzaga 6, Oregon 7, UCLA 12

Players from each team that entered the NBA from 2001-present, and stuck in the NBA long enough to appear in at least 100 NBA games:

Cal 6, SDSU 1, Arizona 19, Gonzaga 9, Oregon 11, UCLA 21

Source: https://basketball.realgm.com/ncaa/conferences/Pacific-12-Conference/7/nba-players
BearlyCareAnymore
dimitrig said:

socaliganbear said:

parentswerebears said:

dimitrig said:

Big C said:

dimitrig said:

TalcAboutIt said:

I don't.

Here is how I see it:

Of these three, I would say only the middle one is an actual plus because a lot of players have that as a goal and he hasn't had the chance. However, SDSU is losing their top three scorers from this year's team and it's not a given.

Like I said earlier, SD isn't so far from Berkeley that it should matter.

He *SHOULD* get all the PT he wants on our Cal team. Now, maybe there are indications that he won't and I would call that a source of friction then.

I dont think this decision makes any sense from an academic sense and I'm not sure it helps his prospects as a pro unless SDSU makes the tournament and he has a good showing there.

That he has resorted to taking a chance on that happening to bolster his chanes of a professional career is an indictment on Cal's program.

Cal history of putting players in the pros is irrelevant. Fox didn't put any of them in the pros. Jones didn't put them in the pros. Martin recruited two pros and did nothing to help them get there. He inherited two guys developed by Monty and did nothing to help them get there. Monty is a long time ago now. To sum up, there isn't a player from Cal who has benn in the NBA, that is relevant to Bradley in 2021

Bradley is not Brown or Rabb who could go anywhere and get a look.

The pros does not just mean the NBA.

Bradley wants a basketball career. He doesn't need exposure. He needs training. He needs development. Cal and Fox have given him everything they can. There is a good argument that he will have a greater chance of developing at SDSU.
dimitrig
OaktownBear said:

Cal history of putting players in the pros is irrelevant. Fox didn't put any of them in the pros. Jones didn't put them in the pros. Martin recruited two pros and did nothing to help them get there. He inherited two guys developed by Monty and did nothing to help them get there. Monty is a long time ago now. To sum up, there isn't a player from Cal who has benn in the NBA, that is relevant to Bradley in 2021

Bradley wants a basketball career. He doesn't need exposure. He needs training. He needs development. Cal and Fox have given him everything they can. There is a good argument that he will have a greater chance of developing at SDSU.
I think that we are sort of saying the same thing here, which is that SDSU has no advantages over Cal in terms of exposure, placing players in the pros, academics, or really anything else except that maybe it is home to Bradley but I'd call that a minor advantage given that SD is pretty close and he just spent three years in Berkeley.

The only possible advantages I can see are:

1. They are more likely to make the NCAA Tournament.

This is not a given, though, and if this was SUPER important to me I'd transfer to a different program than SDSU. I am wagering it is important to Bradley, but not overwhelmingly important except insofar as it gets him exposure.

2. They have a better coach.

Why does SDSU have a better coach than Cal does?

That said:

He's only got a year of eligibility left. How much more developing is he going to do? If he wanted to transfer out to get a chance to develop he should have left before last season. Instead, he decided to play it out and apparently didn't like what he saw. If he didn't like what he saw as the star player then what must the other guys be thinking?

We have a coach that our star player has no confidence in.

oskidunker
He has two years. Last year doesnt count.
Go Bears!
calumnus
dimitrig said:

OaktownBear said:

I think that we are sort of saying the same thing here, which is that SDSU has no advantages over Cal in terms of exposure, placing players in the pros, academics, or really anything else except that maybe it is home to Bradley but I'd call that a minor advantage given that SD is pretty close and he just spent three years in Berkeley.

The only possible advantages I can see are:

1. They are more likely to make the NCAA Tournament.

This is not a given, though, and if this was SUPER important to me I'd transfer to a different program than SDSU. I am wagering it is important to Bradley, but not overwhelmingly important except insofar as it gets him exposure.

2. They have a better coach.

Why does SDSU have a better coach than Cal does?

That said:

He's only got a year of eligibility left. How much more developing is he going to do? If he wanted to transfer out to get a chance to develop he should have left before last season. Instead, he decided to play it out and apparently didn't like what he saw. If he didn't like what he saw as the star TV Dre player then what must the other guys be thinking?

San Diego State hired Steve Fisher, who had great success at Michigan but was fired due to scandal. After Fisher experienced success at San Diego State too, and other programs came after his longtime assistant Brian Dutcher, he had Dutcher designated as his successor in his contract back in 2011. When Fisher retired in 2017, Dutcher had been groomed to be HC and the AD lived up to his commitment. Dutcher does appear to be a very good coach, especially the last two years.

Frankly, it is what Monty could have done more formally for DeCuire. We'd likely be in much better shape now too.

San Diego State is in a good position. San Diego no longer has an NBA or NFL team and people do not want to root for LA teams. UC San Diego and University of San Diego are not competitors. So public interest is great. Huge campus, reputation for party school. Weather is fantastic. Academics are not too tough, but the degree is at least respected locally. LA is nearby, so family can attend games but kids feel like they went "away" too. But really, can recruit nationwide and internationally.
dimitrig
oskidunker said:

He has two years. Last year doesnt count.

Ah. That makes a little difference. Thanks for pointing that out.
BearoutEast67
dimitrig said:

I would more accurately say that we have a coach with whom the star player disagreed. Bradlley seemed to want to play isolation far more than Fox's game plan allowed.

It's kind of like staying married or divorcing. You're either going to choose to adapt and change during the marriage - keeping it going - or you're going to be forced to adapt and change as a divorced person, such as in a new relationship.

Bradley will need to play more team ball at San Diego St.

I hope he make's it in the NBA. A degree from SDS is nowhere near the caliber of a Cal degree.

Donate to Cal's NIL at https://calegends.com/donation/
calbears4ever
Seems like he was highly influenced by the Warriors' Steph Curry
ClayK
What are the facilities like at SDS? Can Bradley get in a gym any time he wants?
Post removed:
by user
concordtom
dimitrig said:

Big C said:

dimitrig said:

TalcAboutIt said:

I don't.

Here is how I see it:

Chapman_is_Gone
Just FYI, it's called "SDSU," not "SDS."

Pet peeve of mine as a native San Diegan...
oskidunker
SDSSU
Go Bears!
Chapman_is_Gone
oskidunker said:

SDSSU
LOL
BearSD
calumnus said:

San Diego State hired Steve Fisher, who had great success at Michigan but was fired due to scandal. After Fisher experienced success at San Diego State too, and other programs came after his longtime assistant Brian Dutcher, he had Dutcher designated as his successor in his contract back in 2011. When Fisher retired in 2017, Dutcher had been groomed to be HC and the AD lived up to his commitment. Dutcher does appear to be a very good coach, especially the last two years.

Frankly, it is what Monty could have done more formally for DeCuire. We'd likely be in much better shape now too.
I don't think that's fair to Monty as the situations are nowhere near comparable. Monty was at Cal for six seasons. He did well enough, but he wasn't here long enough to be an institution on campus.

Fisher, on the other hand, absolutely made SDSU basketball. It was a program with no significant history when he got there. He was there 18 years, won 386 games at SDSU, and in that time the Aztecs made 7 NCAA tournaments including 2 sweet 16s. Fisher was the head coach for all 6 NCAA tournament wins in the history of SDSU. That history gave Fisher far more influence over the choice of his successor than Monty could have had from his relatively brief tenure at Cal.
calumnus
BearSD said:

calumnus said:

I don't think that's fair to Monty as the situations are nowhere near comparable. Monty was at Cal for six seasons. He did well enough, but he wasn't here long enough to be an institution on campus.

Fisher, on the other hand, absolutely made SDSU basketball. It was a program with no significant history when he got there. He was there 18 years, won 386 games at SDSU, and in that time the Aztecs made 7 NCAA tournaments including 2 sweet 16s. Fisher was the head coach for all 6 NCAA tournament wins in the history of SDSU. That history gave Fisher far more influence over the choice of his successor than Monty could have had from his relatively brief tenure at Cal.

Fair enough, and I didn't mean it as criticism, more as an alternative to what happened, which was similar with DeCuire taking over more and more of the reins Monty's last year, but with buy in from the AD.
PaulCali
SDSU has a dedicated practice facility for basketball:

https://goaztecs.com/sports/2018/7/13/facilities-jeff-jacobs-center-html.aspx
tsubamoto2001
PaulCali said:

SDSU has a dedicated practice facility for basketball:

https://goaztecs.com/sports/2018/7/13/facilities-jeff-jacobs-center-html.aspx

Yup. 10 years ago this would have been a big deal. In our own conference, every program except for Cal has a dedicated practice facility.
tsubamoto2001
BearSD said:

calumnus said:

Yes, exactly. Monty wasn't here long enough AND he didn't have the type of success that would enable him to choose his successor like Fisher, Bo Ryan (Wisconsin), Roy Williams (UNC), and likely Coach K and some of those other legendary coaches will. It's pretty crazy, right? Monty is clearly the best coach this program has had since Pete Newell...and even what he did wasn't good enough to give him the right to choose who followed him.
calbears4ever
We can't even afford one. Let's just focus out energy on our successful programs, like our swim teams. Cal MBB is gonna be bad for a long time coming, and until Fox is gone, it will stay that way for a while
tsubamoto2001
Selfishly, we needed Monty to hang around for 2 more seasons. Those next 2 teams were set up to be really good (especially with Poeltl being our center for 2 years before heading to the NBA). After that, TD would almost certainly have a much better (if not "sure") chance of taking over.

calumnus said:

BearSD said:

calumnus said:

Fair enough, and I didn't mean it as criticism, more as an alternative to what happened, which was similar with DeCuire taking over more and more of the reins Monty's last year, but with buy in from the AD.
Bobodeluxe
tsubamoto2001 said:

Selfishly, we needed Monty to hang around for 2 more seasons. Those next 2 teams were set up to be really good (especially with Poeltl being our center for 2 years before heading to the NBA). After that, TD would almost certainly have a much better (if not "sure") chance of taking over.

calumnus said:

BearSD said:

calumnus said:

Monty was gone after the shove.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.