Possible Impact on BB if Knowlton leaves

6,417 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by stu
dimitrig
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Big C said:

dimitrig said:

stu said:

I'd say God made a universe in which both rich white people and Concord are possible. That's what I call omnipotence.

There must be some Bay Area humor here I don't understand, because Concord is full of upper middle class white people.

I lived in Concord from 1991-2007 and I can assure you that, while there are thousands of upper middle class white people to be found, they do not constitute a majority.

Demographics of Concord are 48.6% white (non-Latino) with a median household income of $90K.

Sure, that's not Palo Alto which is 54.9% white (non-Latino) with a median income of $158K

That is why I changed "rich" to "upper middle class" in my response.

Compared to California as a whole which is 36.5% white (non-Latino) with a median income of $75K, Concord is doing better than most.

That's why I assumed there is some inside joke about Concord.

Otherwise, why not choose a city like Eureka which is 69.8% white (non-Latino) with a median income of $43k?

How did God make a universe in which both rich white people and Eureka are possible?

helltopay1
None of you have sussed out my Concord reference..Imagine trying to navigate around Concord without a GPS or rosary beads for guidance. Also---very flat..no hills, greenery or character. Much like one LA town morphing into another without warning or distinction. God also made Wash DC. That's three errors. He also made idiots...that was for practice....then he made liberals and rested for eternity. The only conclusion is that he is either evil, lazy or a comedian. I'm not an atheist yet....but I'm getting there..
ClayK
Big C said:

dimitrig said:

stu said:

I'd say God made a universe in which both rich white people and Concord are possible. That's what I call omnipotence.

There must be some Bay Area humor here I don't understand, because Concord is full of upper middle class white people.

I lived in Concord from 1991-2007 and I can assure you that, while there are thousands of upper middle class white people to be found (out of about 130,000 total), they do not constitute a majority. Just for starters, Concord is about 30% Latino nowadays.
And if you want some great tacos, just head down Monument Boulevard and stop at any of the taquerias ... be warned, though, if you get to Oak Grove, you might need a little Spanish to get just what you want.
mbBear
calumnus said:

helltopay1 said:

Stanford has just dropped 11 sports. The stated reason??' We just don't have the money." The real reason??Thge administrators just don't like sports that much..

I think the biggest issue is all the slots for yachting, fencing and other country club sports just begged for abuse with coaches selling admission slots and more generally was affirmative action for otherwise unqualified rich white people. The CEO of the company I used to work for made $millions in salary and stock options and got both of his otherwise average kids into Stanford on full fencing scholarships. A great return on the investment he made in private coaching lessons, equipment and a dedicated practice room in his house in Piedmont.
This isn't some shocking revelation. My nephew is getting a lot of reduced tuition money to pitch at a good academic DIII school...he had a private pitching tutor, did a travel program with coach who was aggressive at college placement at this level, both of which cost my brother in law some big dollars(who comfortable not wealthy). And yes, they had all the at home stuff that they could, considering we live in the Northeast.
It helps that my nephew was highly dedicated to academics and working out, but certainly this is "white privilege" at work, and both of them acknowledge that.
Civil Bear
mbBear said:

calumnus said:

helltopay1 said:

Stanford has just dropped 11 sports. The stated reason??' We just don't have the money." The real reason??Thge administrators just don't like sports that much..

I think the biggest issue is all the slots for yachting, fencing and other country club sports just begged for abuse with coaches selling admission slots and more generally was affirmative action for otherwise unqualified rich white people. The CEO of the company I used to work for made $millions in salary and stock options and got both of his otherwise average kids into Stanford on full fencing scholarships. A great return on the investment he made in private coaching lessons, equipment and a dedicated practice room in his house in Piedmont.
This isn't some shocking revelation. My nephew is getting a lot of reduced tuition money to pitch at a good academic DIII school...he had a private pitching tutor, did a travel program with coach who was aggressive at college placement at this level, both of which cost my brother in law some big dollars(who comfortable not wealthy). And yes, they had all the at home stuff that they could, considering we live in the Northeast.
It helps that my nephew was highly dedicated to academics and working out, but certainly this is "white privilege" at work, and both of them acknowledge that.
Sound more like "well-off privilege" to me.
Big C
ClayK said:

Big C said:

dimitrig said:

stu said:

I lived in Concord from 1991-2007 and I can assure you that, while there are thousands of upper middle class white people to be found (out of about 130,000 total), they do not constitute a majority. Just for starters, Concord is about 30% Latino nowadays.
And if you want some great tacos, just head down Monument Boulevard and stop at any of the taquerias ... be warned, though, if you get to Oak Grove, you might need a little Spanish to get just what you want.

Ah, the intersection of Monument and Oak Grove, known to the old-timers as "Four Corners". My apartment was a few blocks from there. I will say one thing: Concord is not Walnut Creek.
mbBear
Civil Bear said:

mbBear said:

calumnus said:

helltopay1 said:

I think both can be true.
Eastern Oregon Bear
helltopay1 said:

None of you have sussed out my Concord reference..Imagine trying to navigate around Concord without a GPS or rosary beads for guidance. Also---very flat..no hills, greenery or character. Much like one LA town morphing into another without warning or distinction. God also made Wash DC. That's three errors. He also made idiots...that was for practice....then he made liberals and rested for eternity. The only conclusion is that he is either evil, lazy or a comedian. I'm not an atheist yet....but I'm getting there..
Now you're criticizing God. Excuse me while I move out of lightning bolt range of you.
oskidunker
helltopay1 said:

Dear Wobble: I somehow don't find it comforting that the person tasked with hiring a new AD is a female with no athletic background , who, because of her age, also has one foot out the door. I strongly doubt she will make the choice.
See you at Haas pavilion where the rubber meets the road this year. Maybe we should sign up for the free throw shooting contest i predict we wont do worse than last year.
Go Bears!
calumnus
mbBear said:

Civil Bear said:

mbBear said:

calumnus said:

helltopay1 said:

Exactly. Baseball is at least different from sailing or fencing. All kids in America have exposure to baseball it may be tougher to work on your skills if you live in an urban environment, so baseball skews toward rural/suburban demographics, but other than the cost of baseball gloves and spikes, it is not terribly expensive. My cousin was taught by his dad, himself a dreamer who came to the US from Mexico as a kid. My cousin got a scholarship to UCLA, was All-Pac-12 and now pitches for the Rangers.

Fencing and especially sailing are a whole other level of elitism. How many kids growing up in America have sailboats to learn racing skills? Given all the advantages most of them already have, do they really need reserved admission slots to Stanford?

The same goes for legacy preference. Giving preference to the children of those admitted when discrimination in America was pervasive helps perpetuate the inequity from that era. Children of Stanford grads have enough advantages that they do not need an explicit one.
Civil Bear
mbBear said:

Civil Bear said:

mbBear said:

calumnus said:

helltopay1 said:

Not sure I understand how. As a white person, I did not have this privilege. Are you suggesting well-off people of color wouldn't have the same privilege?
dimitrig
Civil Bear said:

mbBear said:

Civil Bear said:

mbBear said:

calumnus said:

helltopay1 said:

Not sure I understand how. As a white person, I did not have this privilege. Are you suggesting well-off people of color wouldn't have the same privilege?

Of course they do, but there aren't as many of them per capita.

"According to the most recent data available, 76% of US millionaires were white or Caucasian. Black American and Asian millionaires each accounted for just 8%. Hispanics made up 7% of the total millionaire population."

(Source: https://spendmenot.com/blog/what-percentage-of-americans-are-millionaires)

Compared to the overall population:

White alone, percent
76.3%

Black or African American alone, percent
13.4%

American Indian and Alaska Native alone, percent
1.3%

Asian alone, percent
5.9%

Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone, percent
0.2%

Two or More Races, percent
2.8%

Hispanic or Latino, percent
18.5%

White alone, not Hispanic or Latino
60.1%

Civil Bear
dimitrig said:

Civil Bear said:

mbBear said:

Civil Bear said:

mbBear said:

calumnus said:

helltopay1 said:

"According to the most recent data available, 76% of US millionaires were white or Caucasian. Black American and Asian millionaires each accounted for just 8%. Hispanics made up 7% of the total millionaire population."

(Source: https://spendmenot.com/blog/what-percentage-of-americans-are-millionaires)

White alone, percent
76.3%

13.4%

1.3%

Asian alone, percent
5.9%

0.2%

2.8%

18.5%

60.1%

I see. Obviously, the few whites of moderate and low incomes simply aren't taking full advantage of their white privilege.
BearlyCareAnymore
Civil Bear said:

dimitrig said:

Civil Bear said:

mbBear said:

Civil Bear said:

mbBear said:

calumnus said:

helltopay1 said:

White alone, percent
76.3%

13.4%

1.3%

Asian alone, percent
5.9%

0.2%

2.8%

18.5%

60.1%

I see. Obviously, the few whites of moderate and low incomes simply aren't taking full advantage of their white privilege.

There are a lot of privileges out there. White people on average have more benefits and fewer obstacles than those of other races and ethnicities in the same class strata. So, White privilege. Rich people not even on average have more benefits and fewer obstacles than less well off people of the same race/ethnicity. So wealth privilege. The fact that on an individual basis one privilege can outweigh another does not mean the other doesn't exist. Oprah is not an argument against White privilege. I will say it is a fact that American conversation has always put much more weight on racial disparities and given short shrift to class disparities.

That said, while it is clearly a mix of White privilege and wealth privilege on this issue, from a race/ethnicity standpoint, it comes to the same point. Teams are overwhelmingly White.

Separately, when it comes to elite private school admissions, yes middle class White applicants are effed. After they are finished taking legacies, and athletes from rich guy sports, and kids from the most elitest expensive private high schools, they have just enough slots left over to bring in the right number of overqualified minorities so they can pretend like their entire reason for existence isn't to benefit the absolute most privileged in our society.
evanluck
Deputy Director Mike Polisky was hired as the Northwestern AD
BearSD
Northwestern's new AD resigned today, 9 days after getting the job. Quite the cluster#$%@ by Northwestern.

https://sports.yahoo.com/northwestern-athletic-director-mike-polisky-resigns-amid-controversy-protests-001048798.html

Quote:

Mike Polisky has resigned as Northwestern's athletic director only nine days after officially landing the job.
Polisky, an employee of Northwestern's athletic department since 2010, was promoted to athletic director on May 3. Polisky was slated to succeed Jim Phillips, who left Northwestern to become the commissioner of the ACC.
But the decision from the university was the source of much controversy on campus including student-led protests as Polisky was one of four individuals named in a sexual harassment lawsuit filed in January by a former Northwestern cheerleader. Before his promotion, Polisky was NU's deputy athletic director.
In a statement announcing his decision to step down and leave Northwestern altogether, Polisky said he does "not want to be a distraction."
calbear80
After the protests causing the new Northwestern AD to resign after 10 days on the job, I fully expect Northwestern to hire a candidate who is a female or a minority (or both). Jim Knowlton will remain at Cal.

Go Bears!
Fyght4Cal
NU had 3 female candidates in the final four, including an in-house prospect. But the president decided to choose the guy named in a sexual harassment lawsuit. Here I thought Northwestern was a school for smart people.
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
stu
Fyght4Cal said:

NU had 3 female candidates in the final four, including an in-house prospect. But the president decided to choose the guy named in a sexual harassment lawsuit. Here I thought Northwestern was a school for smart students.
FIFY
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.