NCAA Full Time Free Agency -- How will they maintain competitive balance?

6,931 Views | 83 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Chabbear
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That's a reasonable view

For me, NIL has to happen (and it will only question is when and how). In the day of social media, it would be a crime to prevent players from earning money from it, and the money can be small, to significant ($100k +) to millions in the extreme cases

I've advocated that Cal needs to get ahead of this and pointed to the school who hired a social media brand manager to help athletes with their personal brand. I've advocated upping our social media game to raise the profile (and brand) of our athletes and team. We do a solid job in social media, but nothing different than other Pac12 schools. I mean we need to do something that will be a competitive advantage in this area.

I do think it will still be one more disadvantage for Cal as a players brand will still be more valuable at a powerhouse school like Duke, UNC, and yes, UCLA, USC and AZ

I expect Oregon will be a huge winner with social media giant Nike to help them

But NIL is only the obvious thing that needs to change. Bigger changes on how schools compensate players will and should happen

I just don't see Cal playing in that world

wifeisafurd said:

HoopDreams said:

The new NIL rules may do that, so that's not the question

Some people think that schools should directly pay players for their basketball services. So my question is how should schools determine player compensation and gave three free market options

I'm not sure NIL will lead down the road to perdition, and it is a minor step of economic freedom that most schools will follow. Call it an experiment before the floodgates open and payers are simply paid. It may mean some donors will pay players directly and not the school, with lower donations to schools, making football and basketball less lucrative, but maybe not that much lucrative that the model for the school doesn't work (see my post above). There may be other issues, but schools will adopt. For example, USC apparently is making is access to Hollywood a big part of its pitch to recruiting players. I'm not sure how much we have access to Google or Apple works on 17 years old with aspirations to the NFL. I can see where Nike U might. But overall the view is NIL will not mean huge bucks except for a few players (you guys can google the articles).

Paying players may make football and basketball probably has too many "philosophical" issues for schools like Cal or Furd to participate.

Instead, you probably would see some form of super-conference that might set some rules with the agreement to players. And yes, the get called employees, etc. In some ways the payments are just now above the table.
HoopDreams
Haha

Yes, that would definitely be easier

But there have been many people here and every where we have been complaining about exploitation of college athletes and saying we should pay players

And this includes athletes themselves

I'm just asking people who have this view what their solutions are, as I think it's a complex issue

BeachedBear said:

HoopDreams said:

BearSD said:

HoopDreams said:

So far no one has offered an answer but some complain that we should pay the players
You just don't like the answers that people offer, so you pretend no one is offering an answer? SMH.
I only see responses saying colleges shouldn't pay players.

I'm not advocating that colleges do pay players.

But there are some posters who say colleges are exploiting players UNLESS we pay them, so I asked HOW ... and haven't seen any responses

that's why I say no one has answered my question

It may help to specifically name those posters from whom you are looking for answers. Otherwise the rest of us will keep trying to help you out and frustrate you.
wifeisafurd
HoopDreams said:

That's a reasonable view

For me, NIL has to happen (and it will only question is when and how). In the day of social media, it would be a crime to prevent players from earning money from it, and the money can be small, to significant ($100k +) to millions in the extreme cases

I've advocated that Cal needs to get ahead of this and pointed to the school who hired a social media brand manager to help athletes with their personal brand. I've advocated upping our social media game to raise the profile (and brand) of our athletes and team. We do a solid job in social media, but nothing different than other Pac12 schools. I mean we need to do something that will be a competitive advantage in this area.

I do think it will still be one more disadvantage for Cal as a players brand will still be more valuable at a powerhouse school like Duke, UNC, and yes, UCLA, USC and AZ

But NIL is only the obvious thing that needs to change. Bigger changes on how schools compensate players will and should happen

wifeisafurd said:

HoopDreams said:

Some people think that schools should directly pay players for their basketball services. So my question is how should schools determine player compensation and gave three free market options

I'm not sure about the money being that big presently on social media, unless you are someone like Trevor Lawrence. And Trevor would be on national TV advertising and be a major personality (though the article attached seems to disagree me, and I think this will be eye opening on who actually is projected to make the most money)

How Much Is NIL Really Worth To Student Athletes?https://athleticdirectoru.com articles how-much-is-nil-r...

FWIW, most articles I have seen, have these numbers, though the value of women gymnasts is debatable. The money just is not the big generally. But it is interesting that women athletes are projected to participate so well in the high NIL income levels.

I follow what you say, though I wonder if UCLA will participate in the semi-professional approach of paying players. UCLA has huge deficits in its athletic department, and it's administration looks, sounds, and acts a lot more like Cal's administration these days. While this new world may be painful from a personal perspective, C-19 has demonstrated that I can live without sports, and I don't begrudge college athletes making money. I will still follow Cal sports, even if they are not on a non-Power 5 level.
[url=https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwj-r8ST3rrwAhXDvp4KHW-LClgQFjABegQIAhAD&url=https%3A%2F%2Fathleticdirectoru.com%2Farticles%2Fhow-much-is-nil-really-worth-to-student-athletes%2F&usg=AOvVaw1Ezvr3v7iw4JbPkMUMaE5I][/url]
Bobodeluxe
The solution is the end of the NCAA as it exists. Money will control laundry sports, and Cal will exit the game.

Walk-ons only. Take it or leave it.

Those who must watch young professionals, fine. Just Do It
HoopDreams
wifeisafurd said:

HoopDreams said:

That's a reasonable view

wifeisafurd said:

HoopDreams said:

I'm not sure about the money being that big presently on social media, unless you are someone like Trevor Lawrence. And Trevor would be on national TV advertising and be a major personality (though the article attached seems to disagree me, and I think this will be eye opening on who actually is projected to make the most money)

How Much Is NIL Really Worth To Student Athletes?https://athleticdirectoru.com articles how-much-is-nil-r...

FWIW, most articles I have seen, have these numbers, though the value of women gymnasts is debatable. The money just is not the big generally. But it is interesting that women athletes are projected to participate so well in the high NIL income levels.

I follow what you say, though I wonder if UCLA will participate in the semi-professional approach of paying players. UCLA has huge deficits in its athletic department, and it's administration looks, sounds, and acts a lot more like Cal's administration these days. While this new world may be painful from a personal perspective, C-19 has demonstrated that I can live without sports, and I don't begrudge college athletes making money. I will still follow Cal sports, even if they are not on a non-Power 5 level.

WIF,
Thanks for the link to the article. I've learned quite a bit about social media, and I'd say a few things about this article:

1. although the list says "top 25", I'd say it's just a sample of various athletes (some top high-profile athletes, and some low profile athletes, and some men and some women, and multiple sports)

2. I'm not surprised that some women athletes are high on the scale, and this will increase. Women athletes have been growing in profile and marketability.

3. the study looks at video game licensing (relatively low incomes), to social media such as Instagram. But most of the people on social media are on multiple platforms, Instagram, twitter, youtube, tiktok, discord, twitch, snap, facebook, and others. They also cross-promote these sites so subscribers follow them on multiple platforms.

4. some of the biggest incomes are not from direct payments from the platforms to the people. the biggest incomes are from click through commissions on sales such as cosmetics, clothes, etc.

5. the incomes also don't include products that sponsors send people to wear in their social media posts, etc, or to try out and review online, etc.

6. and all the above is just social media income. It doesn't include sponsorships from traditional companies. And yes, Toyota of Berkeley is only an example. There will be sponsorships worth way more than the local car dealership

Add all that together and the income potential will be a lot bigger than people realize

HoopDreams
I said Cal needed to get ahead of NIL and make it a competitive advantage

Now it's the new fashion apparently

https://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/2021/06/oregon-state-announces-branding-and-educational-partnership-for-athletes-nil-rights-through-program-dubbed-exposure.html?utm_email=4441C516F471C589E4B10523B0&g2i_eui=wwv3%2ba39%2b0QP73BsfC%2b%2fvg%3d%3d&g2i_source=newsletter&utm_source=listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=https%3a%2f%2fwww.oregonlive.com%2fbeavers%2f2021%2f06%2foregon-state-announces-branding-and-educational-partnership-for-athletes-nil-rights-through-program-dubbed-exposure.html&utm_campaign=bang-mult-nl-pac-12-hotline-nl&utm_content=manual
SFCityBear
BeachedBear said:

Competitive balance among 30 NBA teams has got to be easier (less complicated) than 350+ teams.

I agree - this may be good for the players, but may not be good for the sport .

Or I should say, will likely have unforeseen ramifications for the sport. Could be good, could be bad. I felt college Bball has deteriorated over the last decade or so, but that is likely because of my experience with Cal

Awww. That hurts.
SFCityBear
HoopDreams said:

Yeah, tampering at center court on national TV

You can imagine what happens behind the scenes

I had the same feeling when MIke Montgomery shoved Allen Crabbe on national TV. I wondered what used to happen in Montgomery's locker rooms. Not that it bothered me, but he took a big chance there.
stu
The Supreme Court weighs in:https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/21/us/supreme-court-ncaa-student-athletes.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage
HoopDreams
espn article:

this is the only good result, and this ruling, along with NIL, and future decisions about pay-to-play (which will come too) is why I've been asking what the NCAA will do to maintain some type of competitive balance?

Not sure there is a way really, so I wonder what Cal will do in this new world

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/31679946/supreme-court-sides-former-players-dispute-ncaa-compensation

Chabbear
It sure reads like the Supreme Court are seeing athletes as employees when they argue as they did. That would be huge and change everything in college sports and probably be way beyond the college sports world.
HoopDreams
Chabbear said:

It sure reads like the Supreme Court are seeing athletes as employees when they argue as they did. That would be huge and change everything in college sports and probably way be beyond the college sports world
yeah, and it sounds like they won't any restrictions on NIL, besides perhaps prohibiting players to sponsor certain types of businesses, and even that might be hard

BearSD
Chabbear said:

It sure reads like the Supreme Court are seeing athletes as employees when they argue as they did. That would be huge and change everything in college sports and probably be way beyond the college sports world.
Or, they are seeing student-athletes the same as students who are not varsity athletes.

There's no national group of universities that colludes to prevent a college theatre major from making money doing voice-over work for cartoons or from selling sponsored posts on an Instagram account with 100,000 followers. If there was such a group, it would be illegal.

Maybe the court is just saying that a national group of universities colluding to prevent college athletes from making money in similar ways is just as illegal.
helltopay1
This ruling will hurt Cal. Kids will gravitate to the schools handing out the most goodies....Cal has a reputation for being cheap..One more nail in the coffin????
Chabbear
I believe that you are correct now. However Justice Kavanaugh, in his separate opinion would go much farther. We will see if he convinces 4 other justices in the future.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.