Great Interview with Shantay Legans

3,798 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BeachedBear
calumnus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
With Ben Howland joining from a bus in the middle of the NCAA Tournament....

Good discussion of his coaching philosophy and his need to adapt to the current generation.

bearister
At the 17 minute mark he explains why, when he played for the Bears, his shooting percentage from the arc went from 25% to 75% in the last 2 minutes of games when Cal was down by 20 points or more.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
calumnus
bearister said:

At the 17 minute mark he explains why, when he played for the Bears, his shooting percentage from the arc went from 25% to 75% in the last 2 minutes of games when Cal was down by 20 points or more.

He shot .370 from beyond the arc over his 3 years at Cal (139 of 376).

During his three years at Cal he played in 95 games and we lost by 20 or more 8 times. 4 of those were to Monty at Stanford including the 51 point blowout his freshman year. 2 were to Lute Olson's Arizona.

I dont know how many times he was still in during the final 2 minutes and I don't know how many shots he could get off in those two minutes if in, but I don't think your stats are mathematically possible ;-)

I think he is an interesting future candidate. Still hates Stanford. According to Ken Pom his Eastern Washington team was #62 in offensive efficiency, #27 in tempo and was #35 in scoring (Cal was #309).
That is an indicator of good coaching and a playing style that is attractive to top recruits.

His interview is similar to Gates' in their understanding of how to motivate this new generation. Legans is clearly more intense, has more energy, while Gates is more introverted and calm. Interesting that he and Gates were on the same teams, played together, but more often competed for PT.

It will be interesting to see how he does at Portland.
BC Calfan
Nice post.

The Portland move is really a head-scratcher. Why make the move when it appears to be lateral? Big gamble. Probably a better chance of staying at EWU another year or 2, riding the momentum he's built and parlaying it into a much better gig. At Portland he's starting from scratch at a very difficult place to win.
Civil Bear
BC Calfan said:

Nice post.

The Portland move is really a head-scratcher. Why make the move when it appears to be lateral? Big gamble. Probably a better chance of staying at EWU another year or 2, riding the momentum he's built and parlaying it into a much better gig. At Portland he's starting from scratch at a very difficult place to win.
[WAG] Maybe 2021-22 is a rebuilding year at EW and he sees a better roster at Portland.
bearister
Sign me up for Gates. I dig his style and vibe and always have. The other guy...not so much.
stu
BC Calfa said:

At Portland he's starting from scratch at a very difficult place to win.
Sounds like a good test for the Cal job.
oskidunker
bearister said:

Sign me up for Gates. I dig his style and vibe and always have. The other guy...not so much.
Gates got blown out in the ncaa tournament. Legans team was competitive.
bearister
oskidunker said:

bearister said:

Sounds like Gates is a better fit for Cal then.
oskidunker
No thanks.
stu
BC Calfan said:

The Portland move is really a head-scratcher. Why make the move when it appears to be lateral? Big gamble.
Perhaps he's rather live in Portland. The vibe in Portland is a lot closer to Berkeley than to eastern Washington.
BeachedBear
bearister said:

Hmmm . . . are you interested in the AD position?
calumnus
oskidunker said:

bearister said:

I like Gates' personality better, i understand that sentiment, I think he would be a better recruiter all things being equal (but they are not) and more popular among the donors but Legan's appears to be a much better Xs and Os coach. His teams play efficient basketball, leading the conference in assists and play at a high tempo. Gates' appears to be more from the defense first, get your guys to "play hard" school, only he uses 21st century motivational techniques instead of 19th century "discipline."

Both knew they did not have a future in the NBA. Gates used basketball to get a Cal Masters degree in 4 years. Legans knew he wanted to eventually be a coach and was a student of the game, even leaving Cal as a senior for Fresno State to play for and then work for his mentor Ray Lopes because at the time he saw that as his best path to a coaching career.

Both are good candidates for Cal to keep an eye on.
bearister
BeachedBear said:

bearister said:

Sure. I'm hiring Matt Barnes as Shantay's assistant. He abandoned Cal. If he gets the gig, he will use us like a stepping stone and dump us again.
BearlyCareAnymore
oskidunker said:

bearister said:

Because one game determines the value of a career.
Big C
bearister said:

BeachedBear said:

bearister said:

Sure. I'm hiring Matt Barnes as Shantay's assistant. He abandoned Cal. If he gets the gig, he will use us like a stepping stone and dump us again.

A legacy hire is maybe more likely to stay awhile.

It'd be nice to have a basketball coach again who other programs might covet. Meanwhile, maybe somebody should go knock on Fox's door: I've always wondered what happened to Jimmy Hoffa and DB Cooper.
bearister
It's a legacy hire if Fresno State hires him.
calumnus
I wonder if Legans is in the mix? Doesn't sound like it.
bearister
F Cal once, shame on Legans; F Cal twice, shame on Cal.
calumnus
bearister said:

But in another thread you are rooting for Matt Bradley?
Big C
calumnus said:

bearister said:

bearister doesn't like really short, or really tall players who leave Cal, but if they are average size (for a basketball player... say 6-3/6-4) he often likes 'em fine. I admire a man who has come to know what he likes/dislikes.
Alkiadt
calumnus said:

I wonder if Legans is in the mix? Doesn't sound like it.

No.
Alkiadt
oskidunker said:

bearister said:

And Musselman got blown out, as did Sean Miller.
So what's your point?
BeachedBear
Big C said:

calumnus said:

bearister said:

bearister doesn't like really short, or really tall players who leave Cal, but if they are average size (for a basketball player... say 6-3/6-4) he often likes 'em fine. I admire a man who has come to know what he likes/dislikes.
Bradley looks like he could kick someone's ass. Legans, not so much
bearister
calumnus said:

bearister said:

Matt Bradley loyally stayed an extra year in a dysfunctional and broken basketball program. Legans left a decent program. Why? As far as I'm concerned he played way too much. Maybe he figured his PT was going down.
bearister
BeachedBear said:

Big C said:

calumnus said:

bearister said:

Legans did some serious damage to Matt Barnes' forearm.
BeachedBear
bearister said:

BeachedBear said:

Big C said:

calumnus said:

bearister said:

Legans did some serious damage to Matt Barnes' forearm.
YES! I remember he smeared icky blood all over it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.