update to flopping rule

2,206 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BearSD
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I like it. I hate it when players fake fouls, and some players (usually guards) do that head jerk back move on multiple possessions/game. I think some players do it so often that it's like a bad habit that they will have to un-learn...

"The NCAA men's basketball rules committee has proposed a rule that would assess a technical foul to players who "fake being fouled." It would be a Class B technical foul, so the opposing team would get one free throw attempt and the player would not be assessed a personal foul."

"...if the rule is approved by the NCAA playing rules oversight panel on June 3, players could get hit with a technical foul for "falling to the court despite not being contacted after field goal attempts, dribblers who bob their heads to simulate being contacted and players who act like they were the recipient of contact despite not being touched."

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/31405977/ncaa-men-hoops-committee-proposes-ting-players-flop
Civil Bear
HoopDreams said:

I like it. I hate it when players fake fouls, and some players (usually guards) do that head jerk back move on multiple possessions/game. I think some players do it so often that it's like a bad habit that they will have to un-learn...

"The NCAA men's basketball rules committee has proposed a rule that would assess a technical foul to players who "fake being fouled." It would be a Class B technical foul, so the opposing team would get one free throw attempt and the player would not be assessed a personal foul."

"...if the rule is approved by the NCAA playing rules oversight panel on June 3, players could get hit with a technical foul for "falling to the court despite not being contacted after field goal attempts, dribblers who bob their heads to simulate being contacted and players who act like they were the recipient of contact despite not being touched."

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/31405977/ncaa-men-hoops-committee-proposes-ting-players-flop
The rule specifies it only applies to when there is no contact. How often does that happen? There always seems to be at least some contact involved. I'm not sure solves anything other than finding another way to slow down the game.
HoopDreams
I don't think they are referring to a flop in that statement about 'no contact'

I think they are referring to snapping head back

Civil Bear said:

HoopDreams said:

The rule specifies it only applies to when there is no contact. How often does that happen? There always seems to be at least some contact involved. I'm not sure solves anything other than finding another way to slow down the game.
Civil Bear
HoopDreams said:

Civil Bear said:

HoopDreams said:

Sounds like both to me.
HoopDreams
You're right. Dumb rule for a change flop

Civil Bear said:

HoopDreams said:

Civil Bear said:

HoopDreams said:

Sounds like both to me.
stu
I'd like to see a player called for flopping get a 5-minute penalty as well as the technical. Or the other team could get a free flagrant foul on that player.
MilleniaBear
Hope the NBA adopts/enforces something. I know the league warned the Lakers cause Lebron was acting injured when guys scowled at him.

Related - my son flopped in youth basketball. In fairness the dribbler was out of control but somehow leaped away from contact as my son anticipated a collision and fell. My son got a technical as I recall. It was funny!
HoopDreams
stu said:

I'd like to see a player called for flopping get a 5-minute penalty as well as the technical. Or the other team could get a free flagrant foul on that player.
I think the flop should be a personal foul on the flopper

after all, that is what they are trying to do ... get a personal foul charged on the ball handler

but that's not what the rule will be apparently

bearister
MilleniaBear said:

Hope the NBA adopts/enforces something. I know the league warned the Lakers cause Lebron was acting injured when guys scowled at him.

Related - my son flopped in youth basketball. In fairness the dribbler was out of control but somehow leaped away from contact as my son anticipated a collision and fell. My son got a technical as I recall. It was funny!

Such a rule would effectively end the careers of James Harden and Chris Paul. I think that part of the penalty should be a retired linebacker takes the offending player to the sideline and demonstrates how hard the contact would actually have to be to justify the reaction that the flop was simulating. In other words, Chris Paul would end up hospitalized.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
BearSD
bearister said:

MilleniaBear said:

Such a rule would effectively end the careers of James Harden and Chris Paul. I think that part of the penalty should be a retired linebacker takes the offending player to the sideline and demonstrates how hard the contact would actually have to be to justify the reaction that the flop was simulating. In other words, Chris Paul would end up hospitalized.

Your rule would have put Vlade Divac in the ICU a few dozen times, at least.

BTW the NBA already has an anti-flopping rule. It doesn't involve a linebacker.

https://official.nba.com/explanation-of-anti-flopping-rule/
bearister

joe amos yaks
Bad form and bad rule. PAC-12 should consider doing what is done in World Cup soccer:
Allow the players to roll on the floor for a period "not to exceed 2 minutes", burst into tears and shrieks of pain while holding their head and other afflicted body parts.

In addition: Players must maintain the posture of agony until officials confer, replay, and rule on the episode at the scorer's table.

If ruled a "flop" the diva is to be given a yellow card and spray-painted with an "X" (in international emergency orange) on the back of his/her uniform and required to apologize for bad form and sit on the head coaches lap for a period not to exceed 2 minutes.

If ruled "foul; not a flop" (ie. teams uA, uO, ASu, etc) the offended player will be given 3 FT's OR 2 FT's and a free donut, AND the player may opt to sit on the xHC Miller's lap (or other HC) for a period not to exceed the next TV timeout.

The offending player is given a foul and is otherwise happy the performance is over..
concordtom
I saw a list of potential rule changes a week ago and I thought they were ruining some aspects of the game.
Fyght4Cal
Seems as though there's a lot of subjectivity in this rule. Will this be like Flagrant 1 vs Flagrant 2? Or helmet-to-helmet in football? Will they consult replay to confirm the call?
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
SFCityBear
Jorge might not be a star, if he were playing in college today.
SFCityBear
Fyght4Cal
Ha!
bearister
....then there is the rare Double Flop:

...and the You Absolutely Have to Respect This Flop, Flop:

* I'm pretty sure that is a 3.5 foot high jump bar clearance via Fosbury Flop

*That would have been a trip if he had broken his neck on the basket support post.

Fyght4Cal
I blame these kids' fascination with the UEAFA Flop-a-palooza. The floppingest floppers that ever flopped.
MinotStateBeav
I've always thought that a charge shouldn't require the defensive player to flop backwards. IMHO, if a guy runs into a brick sheeethouse and gets put on his rear end, that should be a charge. Charge should be about the defensive player being in position, not selling it to beg for a call.
ClayK
If the refs call a few, then maybe there will be changes. But as long as the advantages of exaggerating contact outweigh the disadvantages, coaches will teach it and players will do it.
Civil Bear
This rule will do nothing to prevent flopping as flopping with zero contact is very rare. All it will do is slow the game down even further as we get more prolonged replays to determine if there was any contact.
HoopDreams
I can tell you there are zero flopping in street ball

one, you will never get the call, and two landing backwards on cement isn't worth it!
BearSD
MinotStateBeav said:

I've always thought that a charge shouldn't require the defensive player to flop backwards. IMHO, if a guy runs into a brick sheeethouse and gets put on his rear end, that should be a charge. Charge should be about the defensive player being in position, not selling it to beg for a call.

Defensive players flop to draw a charging call when they are *not* in position, to dupe an official into making a charging call. That kind of flopping should be penalized with a T just as much or more as when an offensive player exaggerates contact.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.