Cal BB gets grad transfer PG Jordan Shepherd

8,018 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by HoopDreams
BeachedBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
tsubamoto2001 said:

My issue with zone is that there are no box out responsibilities and opposing teams usually are able to hit the offensive glass with impunity against it. Coaches at the college and pro level (even overseas) play man-to-man a great majority of the time because it's actually statistically harder to score against.

Coaches at the lower levels (high school and Low major, D-3, etc) use zone mainly when they have a size or athletic disadvantage against their opponent. The basic premise there is to hope the opposing team has a bad night shooting because you are willing to sag and give up open looks from 3.

Personally, I see it as a tool you use to change the flow of the game against a team that is having great success that game against your base man D. But I don't like it as the main D because the other team eventually finds the gaps and gets into a rhythm swinging it from side to side and you give up too many open looks.

sluggo said:

calumnus said:

sluggo said:

tsubamoto2001 said:

That's assuming Shepherd can be good enough to get this team an extra 2-3 wins in the non-conference portion of the schedule. That isn't clear at this point.

Could he be better than the returnees we have at the guard positions? That's clearly possible...and actually, a very sobering thought.

And it's funny you bring up Don Coleman. Shepherd was the basically the Don Coleman of UNCC for his 2 years there.

Yes, I have no idea whether he could lead to 2-3 more wins. But it is plausible. Cal plays slowly, which keeps many games close. He has some 1-on-1 ability, which was missing last year, and will be missing even more without Bradley. He won't be the best returning ball handler (Brown), shooter (Celestine) or most athletic player (Hyder and Bowser), but an argument could be made for him starting. It is sobering.

Possibly 2-3 more wins than this team without him, but not more wins than Bradley produced.

How many wins will depend on the strength of our non-conference schedule.

Hopefully by this Fall we can have students and fans in Haas as that will give us a shot at stealing some wins and getting some upsets.

Given that we will have a lot of long, athletic wings but will be deficient in scoring, maybe we try to extend pressure with a 2-2-1 zone?

If I am an opposing coach I try to get Kelly in foul trouble and put my best defender on Celestine. Or just play zone against us. It could be a really ugly season.

Clearly Bradley returning would have been better. It is true that scheming against Cal will be very easy and points will probably be even lower. I like a 1-2-2 zone, but anything could work. I think all teams, including Cal, should play zone most of the time, so no argument on that.

Well said. Completely agree. Unless you are committed to completely (coaching, training, recruiting), it is too easy to solve. Particularly by conference foes, who have the opportunity to solve the zone.

Having said that, Syracuse under Boeheim is committed to their zone - but he recruits to it and executes it extremely well. Another favorite was Tark's amoeba defense at UNLV. Keep in mind, that he tended to have some of the most athletic rosters in their day - and he recruited for defense (and hot tubs).
ncbears
Jones tried to implement the Syracuse defense at Cal - without the players who were able to execute the defense (whether from lack of ability, lack of coaching, or lack of practice)
philbert
ncbears said:

Jones tried to implement the Syracuse defense at Cal - without the players who were able to execute the defense (whether from lack of ability, lack of coaching, or lack of practice)
I think you mean the Louisville defense? I'm sure it sounded good in the interview, but they did not have the personnel to run it.
socaltownie
philbert said:

ncbears said:

I think you mean the Louisville defense? I'm sure it sounded good in the interview, but they did not have the personnel to run it.
And even Pitino started to get away from it. The emphasis on hand checking really made full coat pressing pretty daunting as you were at real risk of having guards just blow by you. Add in better passing big men and it is hard to play.

You CAN run a press to force your opponent to take time off the clock and be slower to initiate offense. I would love, however, to see that tracked as you are also giving up a ton of energy and so better have a deep bench that can play both ways.
SFCityBear
philbert said:

ncbears said:

Pitino's defense at Louisville was a matchup zone with light pressure in the backcourt, with some full court pressure mixed in but not all the the time. I think NCBear may have meant Nolan Richardson's defense at Arkansas. "40 minutes of hell" Full court press for 40 minutes is what Wyking Jones was selling. I think Wyking (or someone posting here) may have mentioned the idea of using the Razorback defense at the time. Not only did Wyking not have the personnel, they did not have the experience, the depth, or the stamina for it either. It takes a tremendous amount of stamina to get in a player's face full on for 40 minutes or more. Wyking's defense lasted for only a few games, if that, and then he abandoned it, as I remember.
SFCityBear
calumnus
tsubamoto2001 said:

My issue with zone is that there are no box out responsibilities and opposing teams usually are able to hit the offensive glass with impunity against it. Coaches at the college and pro level (even overseas) play man-to-man a great majority of the time because it's actually statistically harder to score against.

Coaches at the lower levels (high school and Low major, D-3, etc) use zone mainly when they have a size or athletic disadvantage against their opponent. The basic premise there is to hope the opposing team has a bad night shooting because you are willing to sag and give up open looks from 3.

Personally, I see it as a tool you use to change the flow of the game against a team that is having great success that game against your base man D. But I don't like it as the main D because the other team eventually finds the gaps and gets into a rhythm swinging it from side to side and you give up too many open looks.

sluggo said:

calumnus said:

sluggo said:

tsubamoto2001 said:

That's assuming Shepherd can be good enough to get this team an extra 2-3 wins in the non-conference portion of the schedule. That isn't clear at this point.

Could he be better than the returnees we have at the guard positions? That's clearly possible...and actually, a very sobering thought.

And it's funny you bring up Don Coleman. Shepherd was the basically the Don Coleman of UNCC for his 2 years there.

Yes, I have no idea whether he could lead to 2-3 more wins. But it is plausible. Cal plays slowly, which keeps many games close. He has some 1-on-1 ability, which was missing last year, and will be missing even more without Bradley. He won't be the best returning ball handler (Brown), shooter (Celestine) or most athletic player (Hyder and Bowser), but an argument could be made for him starting. It is sobering.

Possibly 2-3 more wins than this team without him, but not more wins than Bradley produced.

Hopefully by this Fall we can have students and fans in Haas as that will give us a shot at stealing some wins and getting some upsets.

Given that we will have a lot of long, athletic wings but will be deficient in scoring, maybe we try to extend pressure with a 2-2-1 zone?

If I am an opposing coach I try to get Kelly in foul trouble and put my best defender on Celestine. Or just play zone against us. It could be a really ugly season.

Clearly Bradley returning would have been better. It is true that scheming against Cal will be very easy and points will probably be even lower. I like a 1-2-2 zone, but anything could work. I think all teams, including Cal, should play zone most of the time, so no argument on that.

I think you misunderstand my post. I like zone when your (or your opponent's) personnel dictates it. However Fox appears to be building a team for man defense like he did at Georgia with lots of length and athleticism but low offensive (especially shooting) skills. Our half court defense will undoubtedly be man.

Our best player is now Kelly, we are in trouble if he gets in foul trouble. I was throwing out the idea that one way to protect Kelly and utilize all the athletic guards and wings we now have and hopefully generate some scoring would be to frequently extend pressure and hope for points off of turnovers. Whether that is done in man or a 2-2-1 zone (which allows for more trapping) would not necessarily change our base half court defense. Just throwing out ideas. It would be as a change of pace, like you say.

In another thread I did say "get the best 5 offensive players on the court and play zone if you have too" but that is with Kuany as a wing, for example, which I highly doubt Fox would try. If we are playing Shepherd (Or Roberson, or Bowser or....) at the 3 we will, and should primarily play man.
oskidunker
We finished in last place with Bradley. I am hoping with a little better play from everyone else and a more team oriented offense we do better. If we had done really well with Bradley , then their would be cause for concern.
Fyght4Cal
calumnus said:

tsubamoto2001 said:

sluggo said:

calumnus said:

sluggo said:

tsubamoto2001 said:

I think you misunderstand my post. I like zone when your (or your opponent's) personnel dictates it. However Fox appears to be building a team for man defense like he did in Georgia with lots of length and athleticism but low offensive skills. Our half court defense will undoubtedly be man.

Our best player is now Kelly, we are in trouble if he gets in foul trouble. I was throwing out the idea that one way to protect Kelly and utilize all the athletic guards and wings we now have and hopefully generate some scoring would be to frequently extend pressure and hope for points off of turnovers. Whether that is done in man or a 2-2-1 zone (which allows for more trapping) would not necessarily change our base half court defense. Just throwing out ideas.

In another thread I did say "get the best 5 offensive players on the court and play zone if you have too" but that is with Kuany as a wing, for example, which I highly doubt Fox would try. If we are playing Shepherd (Or Roberson, or Bowser or....) at the 3 we will, and should play man.
I spent all last season wondering why Fox's Bears didn't extend the defense more often. Not only would teams come down the floor quickly, but they would regularly start running their offense well inside the 3-pt line. Unless a resurgent pan dulce shuts down our team activities again, I expect much better next year. It better be better if Fox expects to stick around.
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
calumnus
oskidunker said:

We finished in last place with Bradley. I am hoping with a little better play from everyone else and a more team oriented offense we do better. If we had done really well with Bradley , then their would be cause for concern.

That is an optimistic take. A pessimist (or realist?) might say things can always get worse. Instead of going 3-17 in conference....

I do see room for improvement with the current group. The guys that played the most, the guys we are replacing, are Bradley and Betley. Statistically, Bradley was one of our two best players, if not our best, but Betley was one of our worst statistically. Hyder played a lot and played poorly. Thus I could see Celestine and one other player equal what we got from Bradley and Betley, with players like Hyder being "not a negative" at a minimum, and maybe a positive. We will see about more team play, but just by Bradley leaving our scoring will be more balanced. If we play a bunch of combo guards you would think our assists will go up. We did have our best (only?) road win without Bradley.

I think an issue is that our PAC-12 competition, especially the lower half, is clearly improving, while our biggest optimists are hoping we stay the same or improve incrementally.
BearlyCareAnymore
oskidunker said:

In 2001 we finished last place in football with what turned out to be good players. There was a personnel change that altered our fortunes very quickly, but it was not losing our best player.
HoopDreams
Yeah, we are looking for Cal to improve, minus a All-Pac12 player, a solid transfer, and everyone else back except a strong spot up shooter/rebounder

Problem is WSU added some very good impact players and only lost one impact player (replaced by a strong transfer)

UW lost majority of their team, but have strong incoming players and transfers

Stanford loses some talent but brings in new strong talent. Maybe a wash?

Cal will look relatively the same. Other teams will look a lot different but arguably stronger

I'm a little unclear about Utah, but maybe it's Cal and Utah fighting for 11th place, or maybe 10th if someone at Cal breaks out and we play better at home with fans

calumnus said:

oskidunker said:

That is an optimistic take. A pessimist (or realist?) might say things can always get worse. Instead of going 3-17 in conference....

I do see room for improvement with the current group. The guys that played the most, the guys we are replacing, are Bradley and Betley. Statistically, Bradley was one of our two best players, if not our best, but Betley was one of our worst statistically. Hyder played a lot and played poorly. Thus I could see Celestine and one other player equal what we got from Bradley and Betley, with players like Hyder being "not a negative" at a minimum, and maybe a positive. We will see about more team play, but just by Bradley leaving our scoring will be more balanced. If we play a bunch of combo guards you would think our assists will go up. We did have our best (only?) road win without Bradley.

I think an issue is that our PAC-12 competition, especially the lower half, is clearly improving, while our biggest optimists are hoping we stay the same or improve incrementally.
SFCityBear
HoopDreams said:

at first look, I wasn't impressed with this transfer, but upon a deeper look, he might be a better signing then I thought:

See below highlights entering the recent season.

started a few games as a fresh and soph at Oklahoma. capable of 20 point games. Can hit 8 straight free throws. capable of 10 assists. capable of 9 rebounds. 2 game winner shots. team MVP. preseason all-conference

2020-21 -
  • Preseason All-Conference USA
2019-20 -
  • Third-Team All-Conference USA.
  • Team MVP
  • Finished the season 12th in Conference USA in scoring averaging a team-leading 14 points per game.
  • Led the team and finished fourth in Conference USA (112 assists) averaging 4.1 assists per game.
  • Started 27 games. Finished the season with 22 double-figure scoring games, four 20-point scoring games and 21 games with at least three assists.
  • With his 10 assists at WKU (2/22), he became the 26th different player in school history to record 100 assists in a season.
  • Scored the game-winning basket on a driving layup in the closing seconds in the road win at WKU (2/22). Also recorded his first career double-double with 13 points and 10 assists.
  • Scored a career-high 27 points (8-for-8 from the free throw line) in the win over Valparaiso (12/16).
  • Scored 20 points with three assists against UNC Asheville (12/3).
  • Tallied his third 20-point scoring game with 20 points (7-for-9 from the free throw line) in the win over Maryland Eastern Shore (12/19).
  • Scored 26 points (connected on five three-point field goals) while grabbing seven rebounds in the win over UTSA (2/8).
  • Scored 19 points including going 6-for-6 from the free throw line as well as dishing out six assists at Appalachian State (11/21).
  • Nearly recorded a double-double with 16 points and nine rebounds to go along with three assists and two steals in the win over Wake Forest (11/17).
  • Scored 13 points, grabbed five rebounds and recorded a season-high four steals in the road win at Marshall (1/16).
  • Scored 13 points including the game-winning basket with 44 seconds on the clock in the win over Florida Atlantic (1/23).
  • Scored a game-high 18 points and grabbed five rebounds on his birthday in the win over North Texas (3/4).
2018-19 -
  • Sat out the season due to NCAA transfer rules after transferring from the University of Oklahoma.
  • Practiced with the team for the entire season.

At Oklahoma (2016-18):
  • Saw action in 59 games with four starts in his two years at Oklahoma.
  • Averaged 3.2 points during his Oklahoma career while tallying five double-figure scoring games including scoring a career-high 18 points against Memphis (12/17/16).
  • As a freshman, he averaged 4.3 points per game with 43 assists.
  • In his final game at Oklahoma, he connected on both of his field goal attempts in 10 minutes of action against Rhode Island in the first round of the 2018 NCAA Tournament.

Thanks for the effort it took to post all this information. It shows some cause for hope. Tsubamoto's advanced statistics portend a less rosy picture. And neither one of these approaches tells us much about a player's defense. Even though with all the rule changes over the years that hamper defenders, defense is still a major part of the game, perhaps less than 50% today, while prior to 1970, it may have been more than 50%. For me, the eyeball test is the best measure, but we don't have that, or at least I don't, only a cherry-picked offensive highlight video, like all highlight videos.

Another factor to consider is level of competition. Can we predict how a transfer will do in the PAC12 based on how strong the competition was at his previous school? Here's a list of some transfers to Cal, and how they performed at Cal. All of them came from mid-major schools:

Dwight Tarwater: Ivy League, was adequate to fill a rotation spot, got some rebounds played some D, made a few threes, but did not add much to the team or make it much better

Grant Mullins: Ivy League, a good all-around player, became a starter, and definitely made the team better.

Kareem South: Southland Conference, decent combo guard, played pretty well pre-conference, but in the PAC12, he was clearly overmatched, had trouble getting good looks, and his productivity waned.

Ryan Betley: Ivy League, good shooter when open, very good rebounder for a guard, but had trouble staying with his man on defense. He shot well pre-conference, but in the PAC12, he hit a brick wall and he lost his stroke. Opponents started playing him tighter, and it bothered him. The injuries to teammates forced Fox to play him more. He got fatigued, and his scoring went way down.

Makale Foreman: Southern Conference, America East Conference, he was sometimes a good shooter, shot some airballs as well. His stroke did not look as good as Betley's. He was hampered by his size, or rather by the size of the guards he faced in the PAC12. He is not a good enough ball handler to run point, to penetrate, or create his own shot, and he is not good enough on defense to warrant a lot of minutes.

Both Betley and Foreman did not shoot well enough to warrant them taking so many shots. They were both recruited to shoot threes, and the team had no one else to do that except Bradley, and Anticevich, and both of them were injured or ill off and on, so it was left to the transfers to pick up the 3-point load.

My impression of our recent transfer recruiting is maybe recruiting mid-major transfers is a road not filled with a lot of promise. It is apparently a real jump from mid-major to PAC12 for most of the ones we have signed.

Shepherd also comes from a mid-major conference, CUSA, where he seems to have played well, with suspect outside shooting, and with two years in the Big 12, where he did nothing remarkable, IMO. I only can wish him well, and I will root for him to be a player who helps the team. If he can play D, run point, penetrate, get some assists and an occasional bucket, and make his free throws, he will be a big help. I don't see him as a two guard.

SFCityBear
calumnus
SFCityBear said:

HoopDreams said:

at first look, I wasn't impressed with this transfer, but upon a deeper look, he might be a better signing then I thought:

started a few games as a fresh and soph at Oklahoma. capable of 20 point games. Can hit 8 straight free throws. capable of 10 assists. capable of 9 rebounds. 2 game winner shots. team MVP. preseason all-conference

2020-21 -
2019-20 -
  • Team MVP
  • Finished the season 12th in Conference USA in scoring averaging a team-leading 14 points per game.
  • Led the team and finished fourth in Conference USA (112 assists) averaging 4.1 assists per game.
  • Started 27 games. Finished the season with 22 double-figure scoring games, four 20-point scoring games and 21 games with at least three assists.
  • With his 10 assists at WKU (2/22), he became the 26th different player in school history to record 100 assists in a season.
  • Scored the game-winning basket on a driving layup in the closing seconds in the road win at WKU (2/22). Also recorded his first career double-double with 13 points and 10 assists.
  • Scored a career-high 27 points (8-for-8 from the free throw line) in the win over Valparaiso (12/16).
  • Tallied his third 20-point scoring game with 20 points (7-for-9 from the free throw line) in the win over Maryland Eastern Shore (12/19).
  • Scored 26 points (connected on five three-point field goals) while grabbing seven rebounds in the win over UTSA (2/8).
  • Scored 19 points including going 6-for-6 from the free throw line as well as dishing out six assists at Appalachian State (11/21).
  • Nearly recorded a double-double with 16 points and nine rebounds to go along with three assists and two steals in the win over Wake Forest (11/17).
  • Scored 13 points, grabbed five rebounds and recorded a season-high four steals in the road win at Marshall (1/16).
  • Scored 13 points including the game-winning basket with 44 seconds on the clock in the win over Florida Atlantic (1/23).
  • Scored a game-high 18 points and grabbed five rebounds on his birthday in the win over North Texas (3/4).
2018-19 -
  • Sat out the season due to NCAA transfer rules after transferring from the University of Oklahoma.

At Oklahoma (2016-18):
  • Averaged 3.2 points during his Oklahoma career while tallying five double-figure scoring games including scoring a career-high 18 points against Memphis (12/17/16).
  • In his final game at Oklahoma, he connected on both of his field goal attempts in 10 minutes of action against Rhode Island in the first round of the 2018 NCAA Tournament.

Thanks for the effort it took to post all this information. It shows some cause for hope. Tsubamoto's advanced statistics portend a less rosy picture. And neither one of these approaches tells us much about a player's defense. Even though with all the rule changes over the years that hamper defenders, defense is still a major part of the game, perhaps less than 50% today, while prior to 1970, it may have been more than 50%. For me, the eyeball test is the best measure, but we don't have that, or at least I don't, only a cherry-picked offensive highlight video, like all highlight videos.

Another factor to consider is level of competition. Can we predict how a transfer will do in the PAC12 based on how strong the competition was at his previous school? Here's a list of some transfers to Cal, and how they performed at Cal. All of them came from mid-major schools:

Dwight Tarwater: Ivy League, was adequate to fill a rotation spot, got some rebounds played some D, made a few threes, but did not add much to the team or make it much better

Grant Mullins: Ivy League, a good all-around player, became a starter, and definitely made the team better.

Kareem South: Southland Conference, decent combo guard, played pretty well pre-conference, but in the PAC12, he was clearly overmatched, had trouble getting good looks, and his productivity waned.

Ryan Betley: Ivy League, good shooter when open, very good rebounder for a guard, but had trouble staying with his man on defense. He shot well pre-conference, but in the PAC12, he hit a brick wall and he lost his stroke. Opponents started playing him tighter, and it bothered him. The injuries to teammates forced Fox to play him more. He got fatigued, and his scoring went way down.

Makale Foreman: Southern Conference, America East Conference, he was sometimes a good shooter, shot some airballs as well. His stroke did not look as good as Betley's. He was hampered by his size, or rather by the size of the guards he faced in the PAC12. He is not a good enough ball handler to run point, to penetrate, or create his own shot, and he is not good enough on defense to warrant a lot of minutes.

Both Betley and Foreman did not shoot well enough to warrant them taking so many shots. They were both recruited to shoot threes, and the team had no one else to do that except Bradley, and Anticevich, and both of them were injured or ill off and on, so it was left to the transfers to pick up the 3-point load.

My impression of our recent transfer recruiting is maybe recruiting mid-major transfers is a road not filled with a lot of promise. It is apparently a real jump from mid-major to PAC12 for most of the ones we have signed.

Shepherd also comes from a mid-major conference, CUSA, where he seems to have played well, with suspect outside shooting, and with two years in the Big 12, where he did nothing remarkable, IMO. I only can wish him well, and I will root for him to be a player who helps the team. If he can play D, run point, penetrate, get some assists and an occasional bucket, and make his free throws, he will be a big help. I don't see him as a two guard.

Good post overall, but a few quibbles. We had a 20 game conference season and Betley shot .274 from 3 in conference. His 113 three point attempts in conference were the most on the team, more than double GA's 55 attempts (shooting .364). There is no way Fox was "forced" to play Betley, give him so many minutes or so many shot attempts. There were other options. It is a 15 man roster. You can run plays to get your better shooters, shots.

Also, again, the advanced stats fully include defense. Tsubamoto cited Box+|- which (simplifying) is the amount the player's team scores relative to the opponent when he is on the floor. It is the combination of offense and defense, and is neutral as to which is stronger or how that gets done. If a player helps his team out score the opponent by being a lock down defender on the opponents best player, that counts as much as scoring. Setting picks for your best player? That counts too if it results in your team scoring points. Being a big guy and clogging up the middle? That can count if it reduces the other teams scoring.

The big issue with Box +|- is covariance. Coaches tend to play certain players together. A statistician would want random lineups (independence) in order to get a good evaluation of the impact of each individual player. For example, If Michael Jordan is your teammate and you play every single minute he is on the floor, and are on the bench whenever he is on the bench, you will have the same Box +|- as Michael Jordan. Your number will have been increased by him and his will be reduced by you. It is only if there is a lot of time he is in the game and you aren't and times you are in the game and he isn't, that the difference will emerge.

The other advanced stats I use add the offensive Win share per 40 minutes played (WS/40) with a defensive WS/40 to equal the total WS/40. The offensive side is more precise because there are more offensive stats. The defensive side includes blocks, steals, defensive rebounds and defensive Box +/- (a measure of how much your presence on the court results in reduced or increased opponent scoring). Again, the defensive side is less precise and less reliable, but it is there as 50% of the player's rating.

This may interest you. Here is our Defensive Box Plus/Minus per 100 possessions this year (excluding those with less than 200 minutes):
1. Brown 2.9
2. Thorpe 2.7
3. Celestine 2.2
4. Thiemann 1.8
5. Anticevich 1.4
6. Kelly 1.3
7. Kuany 1.1
8. Bradley 0.4
9. Betley -0.4
10. Foreman -0.8
11. Hyder -0.9

HoopDreams
SFCityBear said:

HoopDreams said:

2020-21 -
2019-20 -
  • Team MVP
2018-19 -

At Oklahoma (2016-18):

good post. my info was from his prior school's website. I only added some bolds to highlight a few stats
HoopDreams
calumnus said:

SFCityBear said:

HoopDreams said:

2020-21 -
2019-20 -
  • Team MVP
2018-19 -

At Oklahoma (2016-18):

Good post overall, but a few quibbles. We had a 20 game conference season and Betley shot .274 from 3 in conference. His 113 three point attempts in conference were the most on the team, more than double GA's 55 attempts (shooting .364). There is no way Fox was "forced" to play Betley, give him so many minutes or so many shot attempts. There were other options. It is a 15 man roster. You can run plays to get your better shooters, shots.

Also, again, the advanced stats fully include defense. Tsubamoto cited Box+|- which (simplifying) is the amount the player's team scores relative to the opponent when he is on the floor. It is the combination of offense and defense, and is neutral as to which is stronger or how that gets done. If a player helps his team out score the opponent by being a lock down defender on the opponents best player, that counts as much as scoring. Setting picks for your best player? That counts too if it results in your team scoring points. Being a big guy and clogging up the middle? That can count if it reduces the other teams scoring.

The big issue with Box +|- is covariance. Coaches tend to play certain players together. A statistician would want random lineups (independence) in order to get a good evaluation of the impact of each individual player. For example, If Michael Jordan is your teammate and you play every single minute he is on the floor, and are on the bench whenever he is on the bench, you will have the same Box +|- as Michael Jordan. Your number will have been increased by him and his will be reduced by you. It is only if there is a lot of time he is in the game and you aren't and times you are in the game and he isn't, that the difference will emerge.

The other advanced stats I use add the offensive Win share per 40 minutes played (WS/40) with a defensive WS/40 to equal the total WS/40. The offensive side is more precise because there are more offensive stats. The defensive side includes blocks, steals, defensive rebounds and defensive Box +/- (a measure of how much your presence on the court results in reduced or increased opponent scoring). Again, the defensive side is less precise and less reliable, but it is there as 50% of the player's rating.

This may interest you. Here is our Defensive Box Plus/Minus per 100 possessions this year (excluding those with less than 200 minutes):
1. Brown 2.9
2. Thorpe 2.7
3. Celestine 2.2
4. Thiemann 1.8
5. Anticevich 1.4
6. Kelly 1.3
7. Kuany 1.1
8. Bradley 0.4
9. Betley -0.4
10. Foreman -0.8
11. Hyder -0.9
great post, and I laughed when I read "covariance" in a basketball discussion. very cool
stu
Quote:

great post, and I laughed when I read "covariance" in a basketball discussion. very cool
+1
puget sound cal fan
His video shows great footwork to create a path to the rim, and cleverly getting his shot off against rim protectors. There are limited frames of his perimeter game, and no views of his defensive capabilities.
BearlyCareAnymore
calumnus said:

SFCityBear said:

HoopDreams said:

2020-21 -
2019-20 -
  • Team MVP
2018-19 -

At Oklahoma (2016-18):

1. Brown 2.9
2. Thorpe 2.7
3. Celestine 2.2
4. Thiemann 1.8
5. Anticevich 1.4
6. Kelly 1.3
7. Kuany 1.1
8. Bradley 0.4
9. Betley -0.4
10. Foreman -0.8
11. Hyder -0.9

How do you know I won't increase Michael Jordan's Box +|- and he won't diminish mine? Baseless assumption on your part.
calumnus
OaktownBear said:

calumnus said:

SFCityBear said:

HoopDreams said:

2020-21 -
2019-20 -
  • Team MVP
2018-19 -

At Oklahoma (2016-18):

1. Brown 2.9
2. Thorpe 2.7
3. Celestine 2.2
4. Thiemann 1.8
5. Anticevich 1.4
6. Kelly 1.3
7. Kuany 1.1
8. Bradley 0.4
9. Betley -0.4
10. Foreman -0.8
11. Hyder -0.9

How do you know I won't increase Michael Jordan's Box +|- and he won't diminish mine? Baseless assumption on your part.

Good point. The whole idea of advanced statistics is that we should not make assumptions and should instead rely on the data. Until you and Michael play on the same team (especially with you both splitting minutes), we cannot determine which of you is the better basketball player.
SFCityBear
calumnus said:

SFCityBear said:

HoopDreams said:

2020-21 -
2019-20 -
  • Team MVP
2018-19 -

At Oklahoma (2016-18):

1. Brown 2.9
2. Thorpe 2.7
3. Celestine 2.2
4. Thiemann 1.8
5. Anticevich 1.4
6. Kelly 1.3
7. Kuany 1.1
8. Bradley 0.4
9. Betley -0.4
10. Foreman -0.8
11. Hyder -0.9

Ryan Betley. The kid busted his hump for Cal. He played hard, and he played to exhaustion. You sum up his season by writing that he took more threes than any other Cal player and shot only .274 from three in conference, with no reference as to how this happened. You are biased about the player. Nothing wrong with that. We all have our favorites. But leaving out context is leaving out some of the truth about this player.

By the end of the 2020 season, most everyone posting here agreed that Cal had very little three point shooting aside from Bradley and Anticevich. South was leaving. It was a priority for Fox to bring in some three point shooters. He looked for volume three point shooters and he brought in Betley and Foreman to do just that. Both shot accurately enough, nothing great, each averaging about 8-10 attempts/40 minutes, and shooting threes at around .360 in their previous season. Neither one was a penetrator, neither one was defender, or an assist man. Betley turned out to be a pretty good rebounder for a wing. Betley. So it should not be any surprise to you that at Cal, they put up about the same number of three-point attempts. Even though they both did not shoot threes as well as they had at Penn and Stonybrook, Betley shot threes at Cal at.327 and Foreman at .317. Would it surprise you to know that Foreman actually fired up more attempts, 9.3 per 40 minutes to Betley's 8.0, and Bradley's 6.6?

The number of shots a player takes in a game depends largely on how many his coach would like him to take, more or less. Betley and Foreman did exactly what they were recruited by Fox to do, and they did it, helping improve Cal's three point scoring from being ranked #315 in the nation in 2020 to #199 in 2021, a dramatic jump.

Your posting of Betley's .274 average in conference also should come with a story. Here it is:

6 Non-conference games: Betley averaged .469
First 8 PAC12 games: Betley averaged .340
Next 11 PAC12 games: Betley averaged .196
Final 3 PAC12 games (including tournament): Betley averaged .438

This shows that Betley shot great for 9 games, average for 8 games, and poorly for 11 straight games in the middle of the PAC12 schedule. I thought he was in a slump, but I began to feel it was more than that. He has too good a stroke to be down for so many games, and I believe Fox's explanation. Fox has taken the blame for this, saying he should have used Betley more judiciously, rested him more.

The reason I say Fox was forced to use Betley so much is there was not much behind him on the bench. You say there are 15 players on the roster and Fox should have given some of Betley's minutes and shot attempts to others. Who pray tell, would they be?

Kuany shot threes this season at 0.200
Hyder was already playing in place of Foreman, and he shot 10-44 at .227.
Maybe Kelly who has shot threes for his Cal career at .278
Bowser suffered a serious head injury, and missed many games, finally returning to play sparingly, and was 0-5 from three.
Want to try Klonaras? He was 1-3 this season, at .333
How about Alters? 0-2
Or we could try Lars, who has yet to fire up a three point shot.

The obvious answer would have been Celestine, but was he ready to play? He missed 7 games, all early, and in his first few games he played very few minutes. I felt he was not strong enough early on, which would have been a good time to rest Betley. As the season went on, Celestine appeared stronger. He has shot threes well, but not much volume. I like him a lot so far, and perhaps he should have played more. Only Fox and Celestine know if he was ready to play. I suspect that as Celestine progressed to a starting position, Betley was able to get some rest, and the result was Betley had three good games to end the season.

In any case, this roster had little in the way of 3-point shooters on the bench to play in place of Betley. It would have been better to shoot more twos, but we had no one save Bradley and Kelly who could score inside. I agree that some plays could have been run to do that. Kelley needed to see the ball more, and Grant needs to be able to finish inside. It was a roster limited in what it could do.

SFCityBear
calumnus
SFCityBear said:

calumnus said:

SFCityBear said:

HoopDreams said:

2020-21 -
2019-20 -
  • Team MVP
2018-19 -

At Oklahoma (2016-18):

1. Brown 2.9
2. Thorpe 2.7
3. Celestine 2.2
4. Thiemann 1.8
5. Anticevich 1.4
6. Kelly 1.3
7. Kuany 1.1
8. Bradley 0.4
9. Betley -0.4
10. Foreman -0.8
11. Hyder -0.9

Ryan Betley. The kid busted his hump for Cal. He played hard, and he played to exhaustion. You sum up his season by writing that he took more threes than any other Cal player and shot only .274 from three in conference, with no reference as to how this happened. You are biased about the player. Nothing wrong with that. We all have our favorites. But leaving out context is leaving out some of the truth about this player.

By the end of the 2020 season, most everyone posting here agreed that Cal had very little three point shooting aside from Bradley and Anticevich. South was leaving. It was a priority for Fox to bring in some three point shooters. He looked for volume three point shooters and he brought in Betley and Foreman to do just that. Both shot accurately enough, nothing great, each averaging about 8-10 attempts/40 minutes, and shooting threes at around .360 in their previous season. Neither one was a penetrator, neither one was defender, or an assist man. Betley turned out to be a pretty good rebounder for a wing. Betley. So it should not be any surprise to you that at Cal, they put up about the same number of three-point attempts. Even though they both did not shoot threes as well as they had at Penn and Stonybrook, Betley shot threes at Cal at.327 and Foreman at .317. Would it surprise you to know that Foreman actually fired up more attempts, 9.3 per 40 minutes to Betley's 8.0, and Bradley's 6.6?

The number of shots a player takes in a game depends largely on how many his coach would like him to take, more or less. Betley and Foreman did exactly what they were recruited by Fox to do, and they did it, helping improve Cal's three point scoring from being ranked #315 in the nation in 2020 to #199 in 2021, a dramatic jump.

Your posting of Betley's .274 average in conference also should come with a story. Here it is:

This shows that Betley shot great for 9 games, average for 8 games, and poorly for 11 straight games in the middle of the PAC12 schedule. I thought he was in a slump, but I began to feel it was more than that. He has too good a stroke to be down for so many games, and I believe Fox's explanation. Fox has taken the blame for this, saying he should have used Betley more judiciously, rested him more.

The reason I say Fox was forced to use Betley so much is there was not much behind him on the bench. You say there are 15 players on the roster and Fox should have given some of Betley's minutes and shot attempts to others. Who pray tell, would they be?

Bowser suffered a serious head injury, and missed many games, finally returning to play sparingly, and was 0-5 from three.
How about Alters? 0-2

The obvious answer would have been Celestine, but was he ready to play? He missed 7 games, all early, and in his first few games he played very few minutes. I felt he was not strong enough early on, which would have been a good time to rest Betley. As the season went on, Celestine appeared stronger. He has shot threes well, but not much volume. I like him a lot so far, and perhaps he should have played more. Only Fox and Celestine know if he was ready to play. I suspect that as Celestine progressed to a starting position, Betley was able to get some rest, and the result was Betley had three good games to end the season.

In any case, this roster had little in the way of 3-point shooters on the bench to play in place of Betley. It would have been better to shoot more twos, but we had no one save Bradley and Kelly who could score inside. I agree that some plays could have been run to do that. Kelley needed to see the ball more, and Grant needs to be able to finish inside. It was a roster limited in what it could do.

I am not criticizing Betley. I agree, the fact that Ryan Betley lead the entire PAC-12 in 3 point attempts during conference despite having one of the lowest percentages on our team is not on him, he was doing his best and was clearly doing exactly what his coach wanted. If Fox was willing to bench Bradley repeatedly he would have benched Bentley if he wasn't doing what he wanted. I do think he (and our other shooters) probably would have shot better if we had set him up with a screen, but if you want to argue Fox had no other choice and that Betley playing all those minutes and shooting all those contested threes was our best possible offense, go right ahead, I won't debate you, there is no way to prove it and it doesn't matter now anyway.
BearlyCareAnymore
SFCityBear said:

calumnus said:

SFCityBear said:

HoopDreams said:

2020-21 -
2019-20 -
  • Team MVP
2018-19 -

At Oklahoma (2016-18):

1. Brown 2.9
2. Thorpe 2.7
3. Celestine 2.2
4. Thiemann 1.8
5. Anticevich 1.4
6. Kelly 1.3
7. Kuany 1.1
8. Bradley 0.4
9. Betley -0.4
10. Foreman -0.8
11. Hyder -0.9

How about Alters? 0-2

It is very simple. This team was not going anywhere. Celestine should have played to give him a chance to develop rather than a player who didn't make the team better, who wasn't going to get better, and who was a one year rental. The freeing thing about being last is you can't get laster. You can develop your players. Fox continues to stunt the team's growth by recruiting short term transfers who are not PAC-12 quality players and giving them minutes instead of giving the young players opportunity to develop.
Fyght4Cal
I agree. Fox should have kept that scholly in his back pocket and gone all-in on the youth movement.
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
socaltownie
OaktownBear said:

SFCityBear said:

calumnus said:

SFCityBear said:

HoopDreams said:

2020-21 -
2019-20 -
  • Team MVP
2018-19 -

At Oklahoma (2016-18):

1. Brown 2.9
2. Thorpe 2.7
3. Celestine 2.2
4. Thiemann 1.8
5. Anticevich 1.4
6. Kelly 1.3
7. Kuany 1.1
8. Bradley 0.4
9. Betley -0.4
10. Foreman -0.8
11. Hyder -0.9

How about Alters? 0-2

It is very simple. This team was not going anywhere. Celestine should have played to give him a chance to develop rather than a player who didn't make the team better, who wasn't going to get better, and who was a one year rental. The freeing thing about being last is you can't get laster. You can develop your players. Fox continues to stunt the team's growth by recruiting short term transfers who are not PAC-12 quality players and giving them minutes instead of giving the young players opportunity to develop.
Plus MANY. The difference between 8 wins and 13 only matters to Fox. (and us in a negative way if that gets him extended). There is NO chance this team, as constituted, plays in the post season. You gotta work to develop the PROGRAM. Sadly I see no steps that suggest that this is occuring.
oskidunker
I have given up getting excited about mediocre transfers arriving at-a place called Last Resort
HoopDreams
we should have signed a transfer

we need another scorer since two of our top scorers aren't returning

I share the concern that our transfer might not be able to fill our needs. my opinion is we need two transfers to have a shot at a significant move up the Pac12. But that isn't going to happen.

My concern with Shepherd is he will put up points, but will be inefficient.

Not sure that helps us a lot, but again, we need another scorer

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.