J Kidd Back in the Saddle Again

6,478 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by calumnus
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
OneTopOneChickenApple
Oh man, the old Harmon looked so good and with character. I wished I attended a game there.
bearister
OneTopOneChickenApple said:

Oh man, the old Harmon looked so good and with character. I wished I attended a game there.

I got to play intramural games there as an undergrad (and take exams and see Tower of Power). In '74 broke my foot landing on a guy's foot when coming down with a rebound. The next day I got an x ray at Cowell and the doc told me it was a bad sprain. A week later I got a postcard from Cowell stating that they misread the x ray and that my foot was broken. Oops!
AunBear89
bearister said:

I got to play intramural games there as an undergrad (and take exams and see Tower of Power). In '74 broke my foot landing on a guy's foot when coming down with a rebound. The next day I got an x ray at Cowell and the doc told me it was a bad sprain. A week later I got a postcard from Cowell stating that they misread the x ray and that my foot was broken. Oops!

And a personal injury lawyer was born

"Hurt in an accident? And it wasn't your fault? Call 1-800- BEARISTER to get the relief you deserve!"
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
MilleniaBear
Went to Cowell late one night with what turned out to be appendicitis. Most of the tests were for STD. Thanks Cowell. At least they called me a cab to goto Alta Bates!
bearister
It was a midnight game against a Boalt Hall team. I went to my own doctor after that and he didn't cast it anyway. I remember the names of a couple of our teams;

In '75: The Kappa Smegmas;

In '76: Lococco's Pizzeria (in honor of my roommate, Larry Lococco)
HoopDreams
bearister said:

Pickup game rebounds are overrated

Almost every basketball injury I've had is during rebounding, either by landing on someone's foot or getting an elbow in the face by some big dude

Now if the ball bounces twice on the court I'll get a rebound as I no longer go hard after a rebound

sonofabear51
Harmon was the best!! Loud, obnoxious, close, and in your face! Saw so many games there back in the day.
BearSD
HoopDreams said:

bearister said:

Pickup game rebounds are overrated

Almost every basketball injury I've had is during rebounding, either by landing on someone's foot or getting an elbow in the face by some big dude

Yup. I got several stitches in my face once after taking an elbow to the face in a pickup game.
bearister
I took an elbow to the eyebrow playing hoop in a freshman P.E. Class at Harmon. Bled like a tomato can. They took me to Cowell for a stitch up.
Golden One
I got a broken collar bone going for a rebound.
bearister
Golden One said:

That is a badge of honor. Only a beast breaks a collar bone boarding. Although, if memory serves, I think it's preferable if you break the other guy's collar bone.

It doesn't get any better than old men swapping intramural war stories.
Golden One
bearister said:

Golden One said:

Although, if memory serves, I think it's preferable if you break the other guy's collar bone.

Amen to that!
Big C
bearister said:

Golden One said:

That is a badge of honor. Only a beast breaks a collar bone boarding. Although, if memory serves, I think it's preferable if you break the other guy's collar bone.

I finally found my level, spring quarter of my senior year:

3-on-3 half court (so our lack of athleticism wasn't as exposed)
"rec" division (there was a "comp" division for the guys who were actually good)
under 6' (we were all just barely under)

Achieved my dream of playing on an undefeated team in good ol' Harmon Gym.
calumnus
bearister said:

Golden One said:

When I was a kid my dad (5'8 160) broke his leg taking a charge from Jim Brown (that Jim Brown) in a pick up game at Jim Brown's house. When I asked my dad why in the world he would intentionally take a charge from Jim Brown in a pick up game (at his house no less), he said "I had position."
Chapman_is_Gone
bearister
calumnus said:

bearister said:

Golden One said:

When I was a kid my dad (5'8 160) broke his leg taking a charge from Jim Brown (that Jim Brown) in a pick up game at Jim Brown's house. When I asked my dad why in the world he would intentionally take a charge from Jim Brown in a pick up game (at his house no less), he said "I had position."

dimitrig
calumnus said:

bearister said:

Golden One said:

Did he get the call?

calumnus
dimitrig said:

calumnus said:

bearister said:

Golden One said:

Did he get the call?

It was a pick up game. No one calls charges in a pick up game. Plus it was at Jim Brown's house. But that is my dad.
calumnus
bearister said:

calumnus said:

bearister said:

Golden One said:

ncbears
calumnus said:

dimitrig said:

calumnus said:

bearister said:

Golden One said:

Did he get the call?

It was a pick up game. No one calls charges in a pick up game. Plus it was at Jim Brown's house. But that is my dad.
Reminds me of a tale of the 1984 Olympic Trials - whether it was Knight or Newell telling the story, I do not recall. But, it was "the smartest basketball decision ever made" - so, in the tryouts, Barkley (then the Round Mound of Rebound) rips a rebound and heads up court - getting up to full speed. Some under 6 foot slight guard gets perfect position to take a charge as Barkley bears down - and at the last second, the guard steps to the side and lets Barkley go by.
HoopDreams
In pickup games I successfully called exactly ONE charge

Now I don't even bother, and depending on the ball handler most often step aside and swip at the ball as he's going past me

Even then, I broke a finger once doing that swipe

calumnus said:

dimitrig said:

calumnus said:

bearister said:

Golden One said:

Did he get the call?

bearister
I wonder if Eddie and Charlie Murphy called fouls on Prince when they balled with him and The Revolution?

puget sound cal fan
Not only did I watch many, many Cal games at Harmon, I attended years of annual "Tournament of Campions" games there. I thought it was the best basketball venue ever. Of course, if you were a visiting team, probably not so much.
puget sound cal fan
That was a life-saving decision.
puget sound cal fan
So what happens to the "Jason Kidd Select" Girls AAU Program with Jason now going to the NBA?
bearister
puget sound cal fan said:

So what happens to the "Jason Kidd Select" Girls AAU Program with Jason now going to the NBA?

Gary Franklin and Jelani Gardner will co helm.
Moderators, please transfer this comment to the Women's Basketball Board.
stu
bearister said:

puget sound cal fan said:

Gary Franklin and Jelani Gardner will co helm.
Where's Don Coleman?
BearForce2
bearister said:

Congratulations to Jason Kidd for taking the Mavericks to the 2022 Western Conference Finals by beating the number one seed Phoenix Suns in seven games.
calumnus
BearForce2 said:

bearister said:

Congratulations to Jason Kidd for taking the Mavericks to the 2022 Western Conference Finals by beating the number one seed Phoenix Suns in seven games.

And to think, in 2019 when we fired Wyking Jones, Jason Kidd expressed interest in coaching at Cal ("the only college job I am interested in") and Knowlton hired Mark Fox.
BearForce2
calumnus said:

BearForce2 said:

And to think, in 2019 when we fired Wyking Jones, Jason Kidd expressed interest in coaching at Cal ("the only college job I am interested in") and Knowlton hired Mark Fox.

It could have been beautiful.
gardenstatebear
Sounds like Cowell!
mbBear
BearForce2 said:

calumnus said:

BearForce2 said:

He didn't hire Fox over Kidd. There wasn't that option. Happy for Jason, seeing he has had ups and downs in the NBA...
HearstMining
AunBear89 said:

bearister said:

And a personal injury lawyer was born

"Hurt in an accident? And it wasn't your fault? Call 1-800- BEARISTER to get the relief you deserve!"
Another Cowell success story! Fall of 1975, the world-class staff at Cowell misdiagnosed an abscess which landed me at Alta Bates for almost a week.
KoreAmBear
mbBear said:

BearForce2 said:

calumnus said:

BearForce2 said:

He didn't hire Fox over Kidd. There wasn't that option. Happy for Jason, seeing he has had ups and downs in the NBA...
I'm pretty sure he didn't even try. We wrapped up this coaching search in like a couple of weeks. Who knew how lucky we were to have such a high caliber coach who took a year off? Actually with Monty we really were lucky. With our currently guy, not so much.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.