Wilner Ranks PAC 12 Rosters

2,530 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SFCityBear
socaliganbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sounds about right: https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/07/12/basketball-order/?utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_content=tw-mercnews&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&&__twitter_impression=true
calumnus
socaliganbear said:

Sounds about right: https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/07/12/basketball-order/?utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_content=tw-mercnews&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&&__twitter_impression=true

Hard to argue otherwise. The next few years could be brutal.
HoopDreams
Can't argue with the Cal write up

We need a freshman to surprise and a player like Celestine or 2K to breakout

WSU as an upper division team is just depressing

Hopefully we beat out UW or Utah in the final standings

At this point, a tenth place finish would be good news
stu
I guess we'll find out if "Coach Mark Fox is a solid tactician" (Wilner) can overcome "Coach Mark Fox has assembled the least solid roster" (me).
calumnus
HoopDreams said:

As a Columbia grad, I was very impressed with what Smith did there.
socaliganbear
The last part is the saddest. Even wilner thinks the talent gap is getting worse, not better. Given the moves WSU made, it's pretty clear he's right.
SFCityBear
calumnus said:

HoopDreams said:

As a Columbia grad, I was very impressed with what Smith did there.
And I hope you were impressed with what Grant Mullins did here.
SFCityBear
89Bear
"...the talent disparity seems to be expanding."
Unreal!!!
Big C

My prediction is that there is going to be a lot of mixing up of the names of coaches Kyle Smith and Craig Smith!

Big C

In a desperate search for a silver lining to this cloud, it looks like pundits are starting to pick up on the fact that Haase is sucking, down on the Farm. OTOH, it would probably be best if he could maintain the facade of success for decades.
bluehenbear
depressing
socaltownie
It is only depressing if you were tricking yourself into believing otherwise. The "eye" test has been so significant. JK REALLY screwed up on this hire - - it isn't even that Fox was "meh" at Georgia - it is that really his record is pedestrian EXCEPT when he generally inherited a roster put together by Trent J. and got to beat up the WAC (or wherever Reno plays).

I guess he seems like a good guy. But under Monty we had a program that was consistently finishing in the top half. It is going to take a DECADE to rebuild from this mess.
Chapman_is_Gone
Uh, no...it is depressing no matter how you look at it, if you care about Cal basketball.

RIP Cal Basketball
"Why king... why?"
3/24/2017
sluggo
89Bear said:

Unreal!!!
The coach and someone who posts here in green says the incoming class is strong. I say it is the weakest class so far. It will be interesting to see who is right. I hope I am wrong.
socaltownie
sluggo said:

89Bear said:

Unreal!!!
The coach and someone who posts here in green says the incoming class is strong. I say it is the weakest class so far. It will be interesting to see who is right. I hope I am wrong.
To me the class feels like role/rotation players. Every program needs em so there is nothing wrong with that.

But it isn't at ALL clear to me that ANY of these guys SNIFF starting for a team in the upper third/half of the conference. Indeed, the same was true LAST YEAR with the exception of Bradly and POSSIBLY Kelly (depending on their situation at the 4/5).

That fundamentally is the problem - Fox is unable to sign guys that would start for Oregon, USC, UCLA, or Arizona. Until he (or his replacement or their replacement) can we are toast.

This contrasts with, Wilcox. The results remains frustrating but there are good structural reasons for that and last year was just weird. He is signing classes with talent that other upper Pac12 schools want. Not all the way back but if you can not see the difference in both results and approach to recruiting you are not watching.
HoopDreams
well oregon state was picked 10th last year, and they went to the elite eight

by extrapolation, that means Cal will go the sweet sixteen!

BearSD
stu said:

I guess we'll find out if "Coach Mark Fox is a solid tactician" (Wilner) can overcome "Coach Mark Fox has assembled the least solid roster" (me).

That last part is also Wilner's assessment: To paraphrase Wilner, Fox hasn't assembled enough talent to do anything other than outcoach Jerod Haase.
SFCityBear
HoopDreams said:

Way to go, Hoop. I can hardly wait for this season to begin and maybe counteract some of this negaBear blather endlessly going on here on the BI. Our kids wear unies, sneakers and tats, same as our opponents. Let the games begin!
SFCityBear
HoopDreams
SFCityBear said:

HoopDreams said:

Way to go, Hoop. I can hardly wait for this season to begin and maybe counteract some of this negaBear blather endlessly going on here on the BI. Our kids wear unies, jockstraps, sneakers and tats, same as our opponents. Let the games begin!
agree, with one correction...

I don't think they wear jock straps any more
SFCityBear
HoopDreams said:

SFCityBear said:

HoopDreams said:

Way to go, Hoop. I can hardly wait for this season to begin and maybe counteract some of this negaBear blather endlessly going on here on the BI. Our kids wear unies, jockstraps, sneakers and tats, same as our opponents. Let the games begin!
agree, with one correction...

I don't think they wear jock straps any more
Thanks for the correction. I'm out of touch. Haven't been in a locker room in years. I'll fix the post.
SFCityBear
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.