Cal vs the two towers game thread

1,656 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by 4thGenCal
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Good always defeats evil

HoopDreams
Bears guards attacking the basketball with expected poor results, but I like the aggressiveness

Their shooter flopped
Big C

Tiny sample size (based on snapshot-in-time data point), but Arizona looks better than U$C or UCLA.

Cal looks like Cal.
Big C

Time out on the floor with 13:52 left in the half...

Cal 3, Arizona 17

yikes
HoopDreams
So far, worse than expected, and I expected pretty bad

Shepherd has had 3 pull ups that passed up and tried to take it to rack
Big C

But the Bears have just gone on an amazing 7-4 run!!!
HoopDreams
2K with a great play, Brown with the drive, finish and FT!

Their big fouls a lot but no calls
HoopDreams
I like this shepherd dude
Big C

CHECK IT OUT: LARS THIEMANN IS IN THE GAME WEARING A MASK!

TV guys explain that he was in COVID protocol and according to City of Berkeley(?) he is required to wear a mask for x number of days.
Chapman_is_Gone
bump

LOL
Big C

I know why not too many people are posting on this thread:

They are at the game!!! And they think I am likely to also be at the game and they know I often berate people for being on their devices during the game.

News Flash: As Chapman-is-gone has realized, I am NOT at the game today. So, even if you are at the game, post a pithy post on this thread!
HoopDreams
What happened?

Fox ejected?
Big C
HoopDreams said:

What happened?

Fox ejected?

OUR FIERY FOX GETS TWO TECHNICALS AND IS OUTTA THERE! (details at 11... )
oskidunker
Big C said:

HoopDreams said:

What happened?

Fox ejected?

OUR FIERY FOX GETS TWO TECHNICALS AND IS OUTTA THERE! (details at 11... )you were all wrong . New Coach from Australia. Cal o) the barbee
Go Bears!
Chapman_is_Gone
If we can cut their halftime lead to 20 I think we have a chance.
HoopDreams
What did Fox do?

It was on the play that Sam got called for a block, which looked like the right call

Big C said:

HoopDreams said:

What happened?

Fox ejected?

KenBurnski
Are we grinding out a dub??
Big C

Okay, purely hypothetical question...

If we had an amazing second half and came back from the 48-27 deficit to shock Arizona -- but with Fox not out there on the bench -- would that be "Good Fox" or "Bad Fox"?
glutton
HoopDreams said:

What did Fox do?

It was on the play that Sam got called for a block, which looked like the right call

Big C said:

HoopDreams said:

What happened?

Fox ejected?

My guess is that Fox was angry about something else that wasn't getting called, but I'm not sure. He was clearly passed at one of the refs in particular. I was surprised he didn't get both Ts at once, since he kept yelling at another ref after one called the first T, before the free throw was shot.
Big C
HoopDreams said:

What did Fox do?

Big C said:

HoopDreams said:

What happened?

Fox ejected?

Facts: Alajiki fouled their player driving to the hoop. Their player went down and, unfortunately, seemed to have sprained his wrist (or worse). Replays indicated that Alajiki's foul was not flagrant or "bad", just one of those things.

Pure speculation: Seemed like maybe some U of A players (on floor or bench) were saying "stuff" about Alajiki like it was a dirty foul and Fox took exception to that and things escalated?

The last thing he seemed to be saying over and over to the refs was something like, "He (or "you") said that! I didn't say that!"
Blueandgold1
Big C said:

HoopDreams said:

What did Fox do?

Big C said:

HoopDreams said:

What happened?

Fox ejected?

Facts: Alajiki fouled their player driving to the hoop. Their player went down and, unfortunately seemed to have sprained his wrist (or worse). Replays indicated that Alajiki's foul was not flagrant or "bad", just one of those things.

Pure speculation: Seemed like maybe some U of A players (on floor or bench) were saying "stuff" about Alajiki like it was a dirty foul and Fox took exception to that and things escalated?

The last thing he seemed to be saying over and over to the refs was something like, "He (or "you") said that! I didn't say that!"

I'll have to watch this game again when I get home, but the reffing has been incredibly one-sided in this game so far.
Big C

The never-give-up Golden Bears have cut their deficit to 16!!!
Chapman_is_Gone
Due to entirely self-imposed injuries, the Cal men's basketball program no longer belongs in the same gym as U of A's. Embarrassing, and such a change from when I was a student.

I don't know a single Cal acquaintance who watched or attended today's game. Please get rid of the entirely unremarkable man leading the team.
stu
Chapman_is_Gone said:

... I don't know a single Cal acquaintance who watched or attended today's game. Please get rid of the entirely unremarkable man leading the team.
I get your point but I wouldn't call two technicals entirely unremarkable. Too bad he didn't escalate it to a fight.
HoopDreams
How many late clock 3s from downtown Richmond have AZ hit?
Big C

Lars' mask has slipped down and is now around his chin. All 954 people in Haas today are doomed.
Big C

Well, if those cocky Wildcats thought they were going to win the SECOND half by 21, too, they had another thing coming, against the scrappy Bears!

Final score:

Cal 71, Arizona 96
HoopDreams
AZ was a machine

At least we did better than Stanford
socaliganbear
Big C
socaliganbear said:

Sweep this, you arrogant Arizona jerks.

(I was about to remind them about their perennially hapless football team, then I remembered they beat us, too, this last season.)

Sigh...
calumnus
Big C said:

Well, if those cocky Wildcats thought they were going to win the SECOND half by 21, too, they had another thing coming, against the scrappy Bears!

Final score:

Cal 71, Arizona 96

Fox 19 Arizona 44
Harriman 52 Arizona 52

oskidunker
They did not play slow down after Fox left.
Go Bears!
4thGenCal
Big C said:

HoopDreams said:

What did Fox do?

Big C said:

HoopDreams said:

What happened?

Fox ejected?

Facts: Alajiki fouled their player driving to the hoop. Their player went down and, unfortunately, seemed to have sprained his wrist (or worse). Replays indicated that Alajiki's foul was not flagrant or "bad", just one of those things.

Fox was upset about the previous possession attempted rebound by Kelly, where an AZ player went over the shoulder and created contact but nothing was called. Kinda looked liked he wanted to light a fire under the team and was very frustrated with the lack of consistent foul calls. He didnt seem overly surprised at being T'd the 2nd time. Separately spoke to Lars after the game and he said: 1) AZ the best team clearly they have played this year - great shooters, big, athletic and fast. 2) He was frustrated to wear the mask (said he had a hard time breathing with it and finally pulled it down when going down the court) Said it was forced by the City of Berkeley Health office since he had Covid (healthy and no symptoms now) previously w/in their required timeframe. He said it is a California policy, not a;ways enforced to his knowledge in the rest of the state and not required in other states.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.