Coaching Candidates Thread

12,347 Views | 122 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by HoopDreams
socaltownie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Pasterkick. It is SO right there.
Take care of your Chicken
BearSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Another program-damaging failure by Knowlton.

Big C
How long do you want to ignore this user?
mbBear said:

calumnus said:

BeachedBear said:

Here's an update of the list I put together last month that took me 20 minutes. IF I were AD, I'd at least watch these tourney games to familiarize myself with the names. Anyone think JK is going to do that? Most ADs actually go to tourney sites and meet people. I think Sandy was the last one to do that.

NCAA Tourney:

Murray St. Matt McMahon
Boise St. Leon Rice
Loyola Chicago Drew Valentine
Wyoming Jeff Linder (lost Tuesday)
San Francisco Todd Golden
Colorado St. Niko Medved
San Diego St. Brian Dutcher
UAB Andy Kennedy
Davidson Bob McKillop
Chattanooga Lamont Paris
Vermont John Becker
New Mexico St. Chris Jans
South Dakota St. Eric Henderson
Richmond Chris Mooney


NIT

Utah St. Ryan Odom
Belmont Casey Alexander
North Texas Grant McCasland
Iona Rick Pitino
Saint Louis Travis Ford
Dayton Anthony Grant
Toledo Tod Kowalczyk
Missouri St. Dana Ford
VCU Mike Rhoades
Santa Clara Herb Sendek
Towson Pat Skerry


This is by no means exhaustive and I'm sure I missed a few. Just a list of top 100 NET rankings in Feb that are in the tourney. Mid Market - excluding a few obvious nevers such as Few and Bennett


Definitely add Gates to the list. His team has won a lot of games, but is not highly rated so missed your top 100 NET and could be a red flag. I've never seen them play. My guess is he is a great positive motivator (which we know from interviews) and therefore great recruiter who emphasizes defense (which was him, and his coach, as a player). Anyone else have insight?

What is insane is Knowlton makes almost a $1 million a year and has a huge staff and your list is probably better than anything he has seen. I have ZERO doubt we could hire you and you would do a better job, maybe with a month to learn the ropes.
Huge staff? "Normal" for a P5 staff, or you are saying he has more than the normal, bigger athletic program?




I think what is meant by a "huge staff" is that there are plenty of people who can take care of our AD's administrative duties while he takes the time to make a deep dive into hiring the coach of a revenue sport. Instead, he's at his desk shuffling papers, while his infamous search firm makes him its own short list of coaching candidates. Easy peasy! Now, back to monitoring that volleyball budget...
stu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Big C said:

I think what is meant by a "huge staff" is that there are plenty of people who can take care of our AD's administrative duties while he takes the time to make a deep dive into hiring the coach of a revenue sport. Instead, he's at his desk shuffling papers, while his infamous search firm makes him its own short list of coaching candidates. Easy peasy! Now, back to monitoring that volleyball budget...
I think we'd be better off if Knowlton stayed at his desk shuffling papers and assigned some of his staff to deal with revenue sport coaches. And statements to the press.
CalLifer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Maybe time to say goodbye to Gates too:

bluehenbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's clear knowlton has already checked out and is
Not even considering a coaching change. Should've spent the season smoozing donors and compiling a list of potential replacements to court.

calumnus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CalLifer said:

Maybe time to say goodbye to Gates too:




So depressing.
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I just figured out how to flip the sad Cal basketball dynamic:

Hire Sean Miller away from Xavier;
Hire Kayleigh McEnany as University spokesperson;
Hire Bill Barr as University General Counsel

Run a dirty as f*** program getting the best players and then give the NCAA and the media the triple talk runaround when it tries to pop us.

Kayleigh will hold pressies where she acts incredulous and dodges, evades, weaves and strings together non sequiturs in response to NCAA allegations of program misconduct.

Barr destroys evidence, interferes with the investigation, holds pressies where he spins NCAA communications, and tampers with witnesses.

We force NCAA to trial if it tries to put the hammer down Cal's program, and we retain Tony Serra as trial counsel to confuse judge and/or jury so that Cal has a puncher's chance of prevailing even under the most damning facts.

End result: Cal wins 1st National Title since 1959. BI community is ecstatic!

No more Mr. Nice guy for Cal. Winning isn't everything, IT'S THE ONLY THING!




" The University objects to the NCAA's allegations! This NCAA investigation is a travesty. It's a travesty of a mockery of a sham of a mockery of a travesty of two mockeries of a sham!*…and it is a HORRENDOUS AND HORRIBLE HOAX!"


*Nod to Woody.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
mbBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
stu said:

Maybe Knowlton wants to keep Fox, maybe he just moved too slowly, but more likely Florida is just a better job.

AHAIK USF still has assistant coaches who could be better bets than our head coach.
If it's needed to continue the thread, by all means let's discuss how Cal could have had Golden if they just stepped up sooner...Wilner's point is ridiculous.
But of course, what Florida nets vs. Cal in about 3 football games alone would be enough to push an offer beyond being competitive...but hey, let's not have reality enter into the thought process....
socaltownie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I just am not losing sleep over Golden.

I honestly am getting happy about how things will unfold. We will again suck next year. We will not be on the hook for much of a buy out (maybe a year?) and then we can hire Josh Pasterkick who will be coming off another 20 win season at UCSB, be largely out of the shadow of sanctions (or not) and who will bring back into the fold a set of influential donors who are in his court - including his brother in law Roxie B.

This is all setting up for JK to totally wiff it by chosing another has been.
Take care of your Chicken
CalLifer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
socaltownie said:

I just am not losing sleep over Golden.

I honestly am getting happy about how things will unfold. We will again suck next year. We will not be on the hook for much of a buy out (maybe a year?) and then we can hire Josh Pasterkick who will be coming off another 20 win season at UCSB, be largely out of the shadow of sanctions (or not) and who will bring back into the fold a set of influential donors who are in his court - including his brother in law Roxie B.

This is all setting up for JK to totally wiff it by chosing another has been.
To be a bit serious for a second, there is one issue that that results from the long stretch of awful teams (and the knowledge that there will be at least 1 more year of this, and likely more b/c Fox will be allowed to fill 5 or 6 scholarships next year, basically destroying any chance of Cal being good the following year).

That is that the more you give people a reason to find other things to do with their time, the less likely those people are to ever return to supporting the team with the passion they once had if/when the team actually is good again. Those people may in fact never come back to even being interested in the team.

I guess I feel like Knowlton and Fox couldn't be doing a better job of killing men's basketball at Cal if they tried... and maybe that's what Knowlton is trying. Maybe Cal8285 will explain in depth how they could be doing better if they were trying , but that's too depressing for me to consider. All I know is that even after the debacle that was Wyking Jones, we had the core of what could have been a good team (talent-wise). The right coach who recruited at the level that Cal had consistently recruited could easily have taken the talent on that team that Wyking had brought in and made it an average team Pac-12 in short order, setting us up to push towards the top with the right combination of coaching/recruiting prowess. Instead, we brought in Fox who drove off almost all the talent on that team and has been a terrible recruiter (as has been his history). And Knowlton is too incompetent to see that (or maybe brilliantly competent at the real goal).
socaltownie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yes. It could be a REAL problem. Even worse at a school like Cal where there is much more of an incentive (looking at the Greek) to ride the pine to get the degree.

But the great thing about College BB is that you can radically turn things around with 1 or 2 kids. Or the emergence of a kid who surprises us. And the transfer portal is such that there can be a bunch of movement.

Morever, ANYONE with half a brain knows that Fox is a dead man walking. I SERIOUSLY doubt he is filling all 6 scholarships with early signees because they know this too and would rather not lock in to a new coach site unseen. I would be SHOCKED if he gives out 6 in the Fall signing to Frosh. I assume that the first year of our new coach we are one or 2 scholarships short as we get on with actually rebuilding.
Take care of your Chicken
stu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
socaltownie said:

... Morever, ANYONE with half a brain knows that Fox is a dead man walking. I SERIOUSLY doubt he is filling all 6 scholarships with early signees because they know this too and would rather not lock in to a new coach site unseen. I would be SHOCKED if he gives out 6 in the Fall signing to Frosh. I assume that the first year of our new coach we are one or 2 scholarships short as we get on with actually rebuilding.
In his first year Fox took 5 freshies (2 recruited by Jones) to use all available scholarships. I wouldn't be shocked, even surprised, to see him use all 6 that way next season. He and Knowlton could spin it as great recruiting, signing SIX guys, building the program, etc. Then they'd agree Fox needs 3 more years to develop all of that talent. It would also make the job less attractive, it would be hard to fire the coach if nobody could be found to replace him.
PtownBear1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
socaltownie said:

Yes. It could be a REAL problem. Even worse at a school like Cal where there is much more of an incentive (looking at the Greek) to ride the pine to get the degree.

But the great thing about College BB is that you can radically turn things around with 1 or 2 kids. Or the emergence of a kid who surprises us. And the transfer portal is such that there can be a bunch of movement.

Morever, ANYONE with half a brain knows that Fox is a dead man walking. I SERIOUSLY doubt he is filling all 6 scholarships with early signees because they know this too and would rather not lock in to a new coach site unseen. I would be SHOCKED if he gives out 6 in the Fall signing to Frosh. I assume that the first year of our new coach we are one or 2 scholarships short as we get on with actually rebuilding.
I have no doubt Fox will fill all 6 scholarships. That's not hard. The challenge will be trying to replace those D2 level kids with D1 level athletes when the new coach comes on board. That hole is going to take even more years to dig out of.
BearSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PtownBear1 said:

socaltownie said:

Yes. It could be a REAL problem. Even worse at a school like Cal where there is much more of an incentive (looking at the Greek) to ride the pine to get the degree.

But the great thing about College BB is that you can radically turn things around with 1 or 2 kids. Or the emergence of a kid who surprises us. And the transfer portal is such that there can be a bunch of movement.

Morever, ANYONE with half a brain knows that Fox is a dead man walking. I SERIOUSLY doubt he is filling all 6 scholarships with early signees because they know this too and would rather not lock in to a new coach site unseen. I would be SHOCKED if he gives out 6 in the Fall signing to Frosh. I assume that the first year of our new coach we are one or 2 scholarships short as we get on with actually rebuilding.
I have no doubt Fox will fill all 6 scholarships. That's not hard. The challenge will be trying to replace those D2 level kids with D1 level athletes when the new coach comes on board. That hole is going to take even more years to dig out of.
Right. Best case scenario is that the scholarships are all given to transferring seniors and grad transfers so that those 6 spots are all available again when Fox is fired a year from now.
CalLifer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BearSD said:

PtownBear1 said:

socaltownie said:

Yes. It could be a REAL problem. Even worse at a school like Cal where there is much more of an incentive (looking at the Greek) to ride the pine to get the degree.

But the great thing about College BB is that you can radically turn things around with 1 or 2 kids. Or the emergence of a kid who surprises us. And the transfer portal is such that there can be a bunch of movement.

Morever, ANYONE with half a brain knows that Fox is a dead man walking. I SERIOUSLY doubt he is filling all 6 scholarships with early signees because they know this too and would rather not lock in to a new coach site unseen. I would be SHOCKED if he gives out 6 in the Fall signing to Frosh. I assume that the first year of our new coach we are one or 2 scholarships short as we get on with actually rebuilding.
I have no doubt Fox will fill all 6 scholarships. That's not hard. The challenge will be trying to replace those D2 level kids with D1 level athletes when the new coach comes on board. That hole is going to take even more years to dig out of.
Right. Best case scenario is that the scholarships are all given to transferring seniors and grad transfers so that those 6 spots are all available again when Fox is fired a year from now.

I guess I don't know what gives anyone any faith that Fox is fired a year from now, assuming Knowlton is still the AD. Fox will have some excuse for why he next year went poorly, and Knowlton will I'm sure swallow it hook line and sinker.
KoreAmBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CalLifer said:

BearSD said:

PtownBear1 said:

socaltownie said:

Yes. It could be a REAL problem. Even worse at a school like Cal where there is much more of an incentive (looking at the Greek) to ride the pine to get the degree.

But the great thing about College BB is that you can radically turn things around with 1 or 2 kids. Or the emergence of a kid who surprises us. And the transfer portal is such that there can be a bunch of movement.

Morever, ANYONE with half a brain knows that Fox is a dead man walking. I SERIOUSLY doubt he is filling all 6 scholarships with early signees because they know this too and would rather not lock in to a new coach site unseen. I would be SHOCKED if he gives out 6 in the Fall signing to Frosh. I assume that the first year of our new coach we are one or 2 scholarships short as we get on with actually rebuilding.
I have no doubt Fox will fill all 6 scholarships. That's not hard. The challenge will be trying to replace those D2 level kids with D1 level athletes when the new coach comes on board. That hole is going to take even more years to dig out of.
Right. Best case scenario is that the scholarships are all given to transferring seniors and grad transfers so that those 6 spots are all available again when Fox is fired a year from now.

I guess I don't know what gives anyone any faith that Fox is fired a year from now, assuming Knowlton is still the AD. Fox will have some excuse for why he next year went poorly, and Knowlton will I'm sure swallow it hook line and sinker
IM dodge ball reserved all the RSF gym time.
CalLifer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
KoreAmBear said:

CalLifer said:

BearSD said:

PtownBear1 said:

socaltownie said:

Yes. It could be a REAL problem. Even worse at a school like Cal where there is much more of an incentive (looking at the Greek) to ride the pine to get the degree.

But the great thing about College BB is that you can radically turn things around with 1 or 2 kids. Or the emergence of a kid who surprises us. And the transfer portal is such that there can be a bunch of movement.

Morever, ANYONE with half a brain knows that Fox is a dead man walking. I SERIOUSLY doubt he is filling all 6 scholarships with early signees because they know this too and would rather not lock in to a new coach site unseen. I would be SHOCKED if he gives out 6 in the Fall signing to Frosh. I assume that the first year of our new coach we are one or 2 scholarships short as we get on with actually rebuilding.
I have no doubt Fox will fill all 6 scholarships. That's not hard. The challenge will be trying to replace those D2 level kids with D1 level athletes when the new coach comes on board. That hole is going to take even more years to dig out of.
Right. Best case scenario is that the scholarships are all given to transferring seniors and grad transfers so that those 6 spots are all available again when Fox is fired a year from now.

I guess I don't know what gives anyone any faith that Fox is fired a year from now, assuming Knowlton is still the AD. Fox will have some excuse for why he next year went poorly, and Knowlton will I'm sure swallow it hook line and sinker
IM dodge ball reserved all the RSF gym time.
Which is why Fox will need until 2 years after the new practice facility is completed so that we can really see what he is capable of.
HearstMining
How long do you want to ignore this user?
As I watched the USF and St Mary's tournament games on TV, I found myself repeating (to absolutely nobody),
"Yep, he'd start for Cal . . . Yep, he'd start for Cal". This wasn't just regarding the five starters, but others in their rotations.

And, while others have stated that JC's are no longer the fertile BB recruiting ground they once were, I have to believe Cal could get players that were a little more seasoned than some of the recent frosh - and if they didn't pan out, you're only stuck with them for two years.
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Braun brought in a long list of solid players doing that.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
stu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Dick Edwards brought in 4 good JC players (including Jabari Bird's dad).
HearstMining
How long do you want to ignore this user?
stu said:

Dick Edwards brought in 4 good JC players (including Jabari Bird's dad).
I was a student then. Jay Young and Connie White from . . . the East Coast some place as I recall. White could really jump, but not a great shooter. Carl Bird - accurate from outside but with a surprisingly flat shot. Who was the fourth - John Terry? Dude had a huge 'fro.
stu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yes, John Terry. I think he came from Kansas. Great defender in the 3-2 zone, made it look like a 3-3 with his quickness.
KoreAmBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Did someone mention Shaheen Holloway? And he was a Cal recruit?

Dude gets his team to play really disruptive defense.

Please anyone but slow down offense head coach.

gooski
How long do you want to ignore this user?
His alma mater Seton Hall job just opened up (coach headed to Maryland) so rumors are that he will head there next

Fancy that - hiring a rising alum for your HC job instead of hiring a retread
RoundBallBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Rick Edwards didn't bring them in. Bill Berry did by keeping potential recruits away from Edwards.
Cal8285
How long do you want to ignore this user?
gooski said:

His alma mater Seton Hall job just opened up (coach headed to Maryland) so rumors are that he will head there next

Fancy that - hiring a rising alum for your HC job instead of hiring a retread
I believe that 10 of the 68 NCAA tourney teams this year were coached by alums. It includes Dixon of TCU, Painter of Purdue, Hardaway of Memphis, Howard of Michigan, Kennedy of UAB, Adams of Texas Tech and Woodson of Indiana.

Also, Cronin of UCLA lasted 13 years at his alma mater Cincinnati before moving "up" to UCLA. And the kind of guy we dream of landing, TJ Otzelberger of Iowa St., doesn't coach at his alma mater, but he does coach at his wife's alma mater (he was a good DIII guard before injury ended his career, but his wife was a first round WNBA draft pick out of Iowa St.).

Hiring an alum or someone with connections to the university can work out. Doesn't mean you bypass a clearly better candidate for an alum, but. . . .
Big C
How long do you want to ignore this user?
gooski said:

His alma mater Seton Hall job just opened up (coach headed to Maryland) so rumors are that he will head there next

Fancy that - hiring a rising alum for your HC job instead of hiring a retread

Speaking of hiring retreads, our last SEVEN head coaches might be available (not currently employed as HCs)... and they "get" Cal! If I were one of them and wanted a job for 1-2 million per year, I'd sign up with Knowlton's search firm!
stu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
RoundBallBear said:

Rick Edwards didn't bring them in. Bill Berry did by keeping potential recruits away from Edwards.
Thanks for the reminder. I had heard that Edwards had some difficulties relating to Black players.

Bill Berry wasn't shy about expressing his opinions. I remember in one game John Caselli threw the ball away. On our next possession, as Caselli was coming up the court, Berry yelled "Hey John! Take that pass" [Caselli looks toward Berry] "and shove it!"
82gradDLSdad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
stu said:

RoundBallBear said:

Rick Edwards didn't bring them in. Bill Berry did by keeping potential recruits away from Edwards.
Thanks for the reminder. I had heard that Edwards had some difficulties relating to Black players.

Bill Berry wasn't shy about expressing his opinions. I remember in one game John Caselli threw the ball away. On our next possession, as Caselli was coming up the court, Berry yelled "Hey John! Take that pass" [Caselli looks toward Berry] "and shove it!"


Caselli was a great athlete. Great in football, basketball and baseball. He killed us (SH) while at Serra.
KoreAmBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cal8285 said:

gooski said:

His alma mater Seton Hall job just opened up (coach headed to Maryland) so rumors are that he will head there next

Fancy that - hiring a rising alum for your HC job instead of hiring a retread
I believe that 10 of the 68 NCAA tourney teams this year were coached by alums. It includes Dixon of TCU, Painter of Purdue, Hardaway of Memphis, Howard of Michigan, Kennedy of UAB, Adams of Texas Tech and Woodson of Indiana.

Also, Cronin of UCLA lasted 13 years at his alma mater Cincinnati before moving "up" to UCLA. And the kind of guy we dream of landing, TJ Otzelberger of Iowa St., doesn't coach at his alma mater, but he does coach at his wife's alma mater (he was a good DIII guard before injury ended his career, but his wife was a first round WNBA draft pick out of Iowa St.).

Hiring an alum or someone with connections to the university can work out. Doesn't mean you bypass a clearly better candidate for an alum, but. . . .
So you're saying Troy Taylor for the basketball job?
BearSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Big C said:

gooski said:

His alma mater Seton Hall job just opened up (coach headed to Maryland) so rumors are that he will head there next

Fancy that - hiring a rising alum for your HC job instead of hiring a retread

Speaking of hiring retreads, our last SEVEN head coaches might be available (not currently employed as HCs)... and they "get" Cal! If I were one of them and wanted a job for 1-2 million per year, I'd sign up with Knowlton's search firm!
If you eliminate the former Cal head coaches who are at least 75 years old (Kuchen, Campanelli, Montgomery), and the ones with the three worst winning percentages in the history of Cal men's hoops (Bozeman, Jones, Fox), then the only two left in that group are Braun and Martin.
Golden One
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BearSD said:

Big C said:

gooski said:

His alma mater Seton Hall job just opened up (coach headed to Maryland) so rumors are that he will head there next

Fancy that - hiring a rising alum for your HC job instead of hiring a retread

Speaking of hiring retreads, our last SEVEN head coaches might be available (not currently employed as HCs)... and they "get" Cal! If I were one of them and wanted a job for 1-2 million per year, I'd sign up with Knowlton's search firm!
If you eliminate the former Cal head coaches who are at least 75 years old (Kuchen, Campanelli, Montgomery), and the ones with the three worst winning percentages in the history of Cal men's hoops (Bozeman, Jones, Fox), then the only two left in that group are Braun and Martin.
They're both available!
gos3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I like to see this position, Drew Valentine. His Coaching career was impressive.

The Head coaching record was 258 (.758).

oskidunker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://discourse.mozilla.org/t/really-amazed-how-useless-firefox-is-now/39671
Go Bears!
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.