Knowlton's Notes

20,719 Views | 161 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by calumnus
Big C
How long do you want to ignore this user?
socaltownie said:

Big C said:

stu said:

IMHO if these allegations are true they're far worse than Hufnagel's transgressions and worse than Bozeman's. At least in those two cases nobody got hurt. But one of those swimmers might have gone through with a suicide.

Regarding Knowlton: It's one thing to be incompetent, another to have blood on your hands. He needs to go before this gets worse.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I will throw this out there: If I go over to the BI Off-Topic Forum and call "Poster X" a piece of s*** a bunch of times and then Poster X takes their own life, do I have blood on my hands? (I don't do that, btw, but some posters almost do.)

I know, I know, totally different dynamic. Not the same at all. Still, it sounds like what McKeever is "guilty" of is being a total azz hole in her position of authority. We're almost treating the situation like she was that doctor at Michigan State who molested dozens of athletes.

It goes beyond name calling. Shaming student to swim when they had medical notes, "outing" kids, clearly bigoted if not outright racist treatment of poc swimmers.

Well, allegedly. But yes, you are right.

One lesson to be learned here, for parents, is to raise their kids knowing that they never, ever, have to put up with verbal abuse that has clearly crossed the line. Easier said than done, given the power dynamic, especially in this case, but wouldn't we all want to have daughters (or sons) who would get out of the pool, look the coach in the eye and tell them they had absolutely no right to talk to them like that?
stu
I agree online harassment can get pretty bad but this is different in that:

1) It's not anonymous and distant but personal and in your face.

2) The perpetrator is in a position of authority.

I'd like to see us deal with the situation before McKeever and Knowlton retire.
Big C
stu said:

Yes, my example was not very analogous in many respects. Unquestionably inappropriate "coaching" by McKeever and almost certainly insufficient "management" of the situation by her boss and her boss's boss.
HoopDreams
Big C said:

stu said:

Yes, my example was not very analogous in many respects. Unquestionably inappropriate "coaching" by McKeever and almost certainly insufficient "management" of the situation by her boss and her boss's boss.
Big C. There are always two sides of the story, and I get your point. Many people are very quick to draw big conclusions without a lot of facts. You're just pointing this out which is a good reminder for all of us.

One big difference to me, is how long this has been happening, how many athletes have been subject to it (which is actually the entire team, which was reinforced today when the entire team walked out of practice) and that this was reported up to the AD level without significantly addressing it, and certainly not solving it.

Coach certainly had at least 3 strikes against her, and in almost all organizations, that is one strike too many.

MSaviolives
Big C said:

stu said:

IMHO if these allegations are true they're far worse than Hufnagel's transgressions and worse than Bozeman's. At least in those two cases nobody got hurt. But one of those swimmers might have gone through with a suicide.

Regarding Knowlton: It's one thing to be incompetent, another to have blood on your hands. He needs to go before this gets worse.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I will throw this out there: If I go over to the BI Off-Topic Forum and call "Poster X" a piece of s*** a bunch of times and then Poster X takes their own life, do I have blood on my hands? (I don't do that, btw, but some posters almost do.)

I know, I know, totally different dynamic. Not the same at all. Still, it sounds like what McKeever is "guilty" of is being a total azz hole in her position of authority. We're almost treating the situation like she was that doctor at Michigan State who molested dozens of athletes.
The difference is power dynamic. People poo throwing in the Off-Topic Forum are free to dish out what they receive and also to not participate.

McKeever has enormous power over vulnerable young women in her program--young women (many teenagers) under enormous stress, who train and compete at the highest levels, while trying to handle the challenges of Cal academics, health issues, adolescent angst, family issues, love interests, and on and on. The recent suicides at Stanford are a good example of what can happen when student athletes become crushed by these stressors.

Not saying her role needs to be rainbows and unicorns, but her prime directive is to protect the mental and physical health of her student athletes. At the very least, she needs to follow the Hippocratic Oath--cause no harm. That is not a big ask, nor a significant impediment to winning.

As for comparing her alleged transgressions to molesting doctors, I'm not sure of the point. There will also be worse people and worse transgressions.
Big C
MSaviolives said:

Big C said:

stu said:

The difference is power dynamic. People poo throwing in the Off-Topic Forum are free to dish out what they receive and also to not participate.

McKeever has enormous power over vulnerable young women in her program--young women (many teenagers) under enormous stress, who train and compete at the highest levels, while trying to handle the challenges of Cal academics, health issues, adolescent angst, family issues, love interests, and on and on. The recent suicides at Stanford are a good example of what can happen when student athletes become crushed by these stressors.

Not saying her role needs to be rainbows and unicorns, but her prime directive is to protect the mental and physical health of her student athletes. At the very least, she needs to follow the Hippocratic Oath--cause no harm. That is not a big ask, nor a significant impediment to winning.

As for comparing her alleged transgressions to molesting doctors, I'm not sure of the point. There will also be worse people and worse transgressions.

Yes, MSaviolives, upon just a tiny bit of reflection, I realize that you were far more correct than I was in the above posts. I certainly condemn Ms. McKeever for the "coaching" she has apparently done... and for those who let it continue for so long.
stu
McKeever now on leave:
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/05/25/uc-berkeley-places-swim-coach-teri-mckeever-on-administrative-leave/

From the article:
Knowlton told Cal swimmers Wednesday afternoon he was uncertain how long the investigation would take. The investigation will be conducted by a firm or group outside of the school, a university official said.

Another firm (eyes roll). But in this case an outside look might be appropriate.
calumnus
stu said:

McKeever now on leave:
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/05/25/uc-berkeley-places-swim-coach-teri-mckeever-on-administrative-leave/

From the article:
Knowlton told Cal swimmers Wednesday afternoon he was uncertain how long the investigation would take. The investigation will be conducted by a firm or group outside of the school, a university official said.

Another firm (eyes roll). But in this case an outside look might be appropriate.

The King of Outsourcing

Ideally they would investigate his actions/inactions as well, but since he is the client….
stu
Good point! That's high-level CYA.
sluggo
calumnus said:

stu said:

McKeever now on leave:

From the article:

The King of Outsourcing

Ideally they would investigate his actions/inactions as well, but since he is the client….
Well he is not going to fire himself. If he is not being investigated that is the fault of the person who gave him the ridiculous lifetime contract.

I think this is a case where outside investigation makes sense.
KoreAmBear
calumnus said:

stu said:

McKeever now on leave:

From the article:

The King of Outsourcing

Yes AD Knowlton should have been recused from decision making about the investigation in any capacity as he would be a fact-witness and part of the investigation of McKeever, which could lead to the launching of another investigation into his own inactions. SMH.
calumnus
KoreAmBear said:

calumnus said:

stu said:

McKeever now on leave:

From the article:

The King of Outsourcing

Yes AD Knowlton should have been recused from decision making about the investigation in any capacity as he would be a fact-witness and part of the investigation of McKeever, which could lead to the launching of another investigation into his own inactions. SMH.

Spoken like someone with legal expertise in university HR issues. It would be nice if we had someone like you on staff at Cal.
DiabloWags
Big C said:

It's interesting that you mention the Team USA gymnastics doctor,
Larry Nassar who was sentenced to serve up to 175 years in prison.

U.S.SafeSport is now interviewing Cal swimmers. SafeSport has been criticized (by Team USA Olympic Gymnasts) during sworn congressional testimony for being slow to respond, incompetent, and funded by the same people that they are supposed to regulate.

I wouldnt want to be in their "crosshairs" right now.
They've got a lot to prove.
"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
stu
There's another Michigan doctor with the same problem:
https://www.npr.org/2022/01/19/1074071024/university-michigan-sexual-abuse-sports-doctor
stu
Law firm hired:
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/05/26/uc-berkeley-hires-law-firm-to-investigate-swim-coach-teri-mckeever/

It doesn't seem to say who at UC Berkeley hired them.
KoreAmBear
stu said:

Law firm hired:
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/05/26/uc-berkeley-hires-law-firm-to-investigate-swim-coach-teri-mckeever/

It doesn't seem to say who at UC Berkeley hired them.
I would think if a firm would have the sense to know that there are conflicts if Knowlton was the one retaining it and would withdraw if they found out Knowlton was also the decision maker. Hopefully the firm was engaged by someone higher up and Knowlton could be called as one of the fact witness (and if it appears that he breached a school policy himself, a separate investigation launched).
stu
Timeline:
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/06/01/uc-berkeley-ad-teri-mckeever-investigation-could-take-6-months/

I'm surprised it wasn't extended to 2029.
calumnus
stu said:

Timeline:
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/06/01/uc-berkeley-ad-teri-mckeever-investigation-could-take-6-months/

Wow. Knowlton is just clueless.
DiabloWags
calumnus said:

stu said:

Timeline:

Pretty much.

Nothing like having a 6-month HR investigation put a massive dark "cloud" over one of your sports, kill recruiting, and send our student / athletes elsewhere. Parents left with lots of unanswered questions. Looks like our IAD is officially in CYA mode.

If this was the private sector there would have been two people fired by now, replaced, and the program would be moving on.
KoreAmBear
calumnus said:

stu said:

Timeline:

He's embarrassing.

Econ141
DiabloWags said:

calumnus said:

stu said:

Timeline:

Pretty much.

Nothing like having a 6-month HR investigation put a massive dark "cloud" over one of your sports, kill recruiting, and send our student / athletes elsewhere. Parents left with lots of unanswered questions. Looks like our IAD is officially in CYA mode.

If this was the private sector there would have been two people fired by now, replaced, and the program would be moving on.

This puts a dark cloud over all of Cal athletics. If my son or daughter was thinking about joining any sport at Cal, how the admin handled this type of issue would weigh very negatively.

This clown AD needs to be sacked along with the fool that extended him.
DiabloWags
fat_slice said:

This clown AD needs to be sacked along with the fool that extended him.
That would be Chancellor Christ.
HearstMining
DiabloWags said:

calumnus said:

stu said:

Timeline:

Pretty much.

For the private sector, California is an Employment-At-Will state, correct? So basically an employer can fire somebody for any reason or no reason (I've personally received the required 60 days notice for a layoff). I'm not defending Knowlton or the idea of taking six months to resolve the issue, but isn't there a higher hurdle for firing somebody in the public sector? I would think Christ/Knowlton are being counseled to have an air-tight case in order to avoid a wrongful termination lawsuit here. I don't think any of us want to see McKeever, guilty or not, ride off into the sunset with a million dollar settlement.
KoreAmBear
HearstMining said:

DiabloWags said:

calumnus said:

stu said:

Timeline:

Pretty much.

For the private sector, California is an Employment-At-Will state, correct? So basically an employer can fire somebody for any reason or no reason (I've personally received the required 60 days notice for a layoff). I'm not defending Knowlton or the idea of taking six months to resolve the issue, but isn't there a higher hurdle for firing somebody in the public sector? I would think Christ/Knowlton are being counseled to have an air-tight case in order to avoid a wrongful termination lawsuit here. I don't think any of us want to see McKeever, guilty or not, ride off into the sunset with a million dollar settlement.
In Knowlton's case, it's not about public or private, but that he has an employment agreement which regulates the terms of his employment. Like the typical coach's contract, there is a buyout clause for terminating the employee without good cause. He was what extended to 2029 or something? We would pay big bucks to let him go without cause. The issue becomes whether our AD will be subject to an investigation himself for potential inactions, and there is enough of a finding to terminate him for cause.
DiabloWags
I may be mistaken, but I would imagine that if the Cal athletic department needs to establish "cause" to terminate a head coach, they would only need to confirm a single allegation of abuse. It's difficult for me to believe that they really need 6 months in order to conduct an investigation, that will invariably destroy the women's swim program.

During the Zoom Meeting with parents, Knowlton was asked by parents who would be coaching their kids for the U.S. Championships in early August. He had no answer.

Jesse Moore just became a Cal assistant women's swim coach in April.
He had one year as a head coach at Dartmouth, during covid.

I cant imagine the pall that this investigation will cast over the current team, recruits, let alone what happens when the transfer portal opens up if this "investigation" is still ongoing. Canadian Olympic Gold medalist Maggie McNeil announced in late March that she was coming to Cal to swim as a grad student. Since the McKeever article, McNeil has apparently removed that "announcement" from her social media account.

If Knowlton was smart, he'd be "negotiating" the exit deal of McKeever and on the phone with Cal alum Carol Capitani who is currently the head coach of Texas. But given Knowlton, I doubt that anything close to that is happening. To me, he comes across as the typical reactive bureaucrat that would typically embrace a "standard HR investigation" that takes 6 months. I think his military background prevents him from being a good "fit" as an AD. He's never proactive. Never seems to be out in "front" of a problem. - - - Again, it's shocking to me that he was extended out to 2029.

Carol Capitani - Women's Swimming and Diving Coach - University of Texas Athletics (texassports.com)

DiabloWags
KoreAmBear said:

In Knowlton's case, it's not about public or private, but that he has an employment agreement which regulates the terms of his employment. Like the typical coach's contract, there is a buyout clause for terminating the employee without good cause. He was what extended to 2029 or something? We would pay big bucks to let him go without cause. The issue becomes whether our AD will be subject to an investigation himself for potential inactions, and there is enough of a finding to terminate him for cause.

I believe that Knowlton earns $670,000 in retention bonuses if he remains in his role through April, 2023.
Econ141
DiabloWags said:

I may be mistaken, but I would imagine that if the Cal athletic department needs to establish "cause" to terminate a head coach, they would only need to confirm a single allegation of abuse. It's difficult for me to believe that they really need 6 months in order to conduct an investigation, that will invariably destroy the women's swim program.

During the Zoom Meeting with parents, Knowlton was asked by parents who would be coaching their kids for the U.S. Championships in early August. He had no answer.

I cant imagine the pall that this investigation will cast over the current team, recruits, let alone what happens when the transfer portal opens up if this "investigation" is still ongoing. Canadian Olympic Gold medalist Maggie McNeil announced in late March that she was coming to Cal to swim as a grad student. Since the McKeever article, McNeil has apparently removed that "announcement" from her social media account.

If Knowlton was smart, he'd be "negotiating" the exit deal of McKeever and on the phone with Cal alum Carol Capitani who is currently the head coach of Texas. But given Knowlton, I doubt that anything close to that is happening. To me, he comes across as the typical reactive bureaucrat that would typically embrace a "standard HR investigation" that takes 6 months. I think his military background prevents him from being a good "fit" as an AD. He's never proactive. Never seems to be out in "front" of a problem. - - - Again, it's shocking to me that he was extended out to 2029.

Carol Capitani - Women's Swimming and Diving Coach - University of Texas Athletics (texassports.com)

Knowlton and doing Jack. He sat on this issue, failed miserably in the basketball hire, and is just sitting back collecting paychecks.

Can someone please comment on anything this guy has done to keep his job let alone get an extension? All I read on here (and frankly see on the news) is negative. The guy is a waste of money.
ColoradoBear
DiabloWags said:

KoreAmBear said:

I believe that Knowlton earns $670,000 in retention bonuses if he remains in his role through April, 2023.

So anyone know where's the PDF of Knowlton's contract?

Would be quite informative.
stu
I assume this is the short version, it mentions only money:
https://regents.universityofcalifornia.edu/regmeet/july21/g5.pdf
Big C
fat_slice said:

DiabloWags said:

Knowlton and doing Jack. He sat on this issue, failed miserably in the basketball hire, and is just sitting back collecting paychecks.

Can someone please comment on anything this guy has done to keep his job let alone get an extension? All I read on here (and frankly see on the news) is negative. The guy is a waste of money.

His predecessor was so lacking in people skills that this guy comes in, schmoozes the right people and... wow, he's great!

Until he's not...
calumnus
fat_slice said:

DiabloWags said:

Worse than a waste of money (his salary) because he is wasting $millions more on law firms, consultants and bad coaching hires and needless extensions whike driving our athletics department into the ground at a critical time in the history of college sports.
DiabloWags
^^^ THIS
stu
A few lines from an East Bay Times article focusing on swimmer Emily Gantriss:

Administrators didn't act on complaints

Dozens and dozens of young women, some of sport's top athletes and students, were repeatedly put into that position, Gantriis said, because McKeever's alleged bullying was repeatedly ignored by a series of administrators, in particular current Cal athletic director Jim Knowlton and Simon-O'Neill ...

Multiple current and former Cal swimmers have portrayed Knowlton as condescending and patronizing in meetings with swimmers about McKeever's alleged bullying, telling them they would appreciate McKeever's "tough" coaching later in life ...
DiabloWags
It's hard to see him surviving this.

Chancellor Christ has some decisions to make, especially before Knowlton claims over $670,000 for a retainment bonus if he remains in his role through April 30, 2023.

eastcoastcal
If Knowlton is terminated due to his inaction, is the remainder of his pay for the rest of his contract voided?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.