Knowlton's Notes

20,865 Views | 161 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by calumnus
Econ141
How long do you want to ignore this user?
DiabloWags said:

It's hard to see him surviving this.

Chancellor Christ has some decisions to make, especially before Knowlton claims over $670,000 for a retainment bonus if he remains in his role through April 30, 2023.

It's hard for someone on the *outside* to see him survive this. This is Cal Athletics - he has already survived what at other institutions would have fired him long ago. Not only has he not been fired, he has been extended. Shame on Christ for not seeing any of these signs earlier and not taking action. But no action is the expectation at Cal.

I encourage you all to look forward to another 8 years of this clown and his absentee boss.
calumnus
fat_slice said:

DiabloWags said:

Chancellor Christ has some decisions to make, especially before Knowlton claims over $670,000 for a retainment bonus if he remains in his role through April 30, 2023.

It's hard for someone on the *outside* to see him survive this. This is Cal Athletics - he has already survived what at other institutions would have fired him long ago. Not only has he not been fired, he has been extended. Shame on Christ for not seeing any of these signs earlier and not taking action. But no action is the expectation at Cal.

I encourage you all to look forward to another 8 years of this clown and his absentee boss.

Agreed. He was not qualified, was a poor fit and should not have been hired. The 9 year extension was absurd. His handling of this was criminal and he should be gone. However I'm not holding my breath. I just hope we have a Cal athletics program left when he is finally gone and I'm not exaggerating.
socaltownie
The story underreported (so far?) is whether TM's untouchable status relates to the fact that swim and dive is almost unique in the country in having one or two very generous donors and the ability to fund facilities like Legends entirely on private donations. Interesting to wonder if her untouchable status relates to donor support.
stu
More fuel on the fire:
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/06/23/uc-berkeley-team-doctor-has-been-suspended-while-under-investigation/

In this case the alleged misconduct seems to have been reported just last year (dates not given) and was followed by a suspension in December. To me that looks a lot better than the years of inaction in the case of the swimming coach.
oskidunker
DiabloWags said:

Not a chance he will be fired. But you can keep talking about it.
Go Bears!
DiabloWags

oskidunker said:

And sadly, that's why CAL will always be CAL.
Alkiadt
DiabloWags said:

oskidunker said:

Good. Why are you here again?
DiabloWags
Alkiadt said:

DiabloWags said:

oskidunker said:

Good. Why are you here again?

For Cal Water Polo, Rubgy, and Track & Field.
Why are you here?
DiabloWags
oskidunker said:

DiabloWags said:

I've got $500 that says you're wrong about that.
Wanna play?
MSaviolives
stu said:

More fuel on the fire:
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/06/23/uc-berkeley-team-doctor-has-been-suspended-while-under-investigation/

In this case the alleged misconduct seems to have been reported just last year (dates not given) and was followed by a suspension in December. To me that looks a lot better than the years of inaction in the case of the swimming coach.
No discussion of what he is alleged to have done, but the trend of team doctors getting charged with sexual abuse of student athletes is deeply disturbing. From the Ohio State wrestling coach, to Nassar and others. And then there are the campus doctors who have recently been charged with sexually abusing their student patients, such as at UCLA and USC, which has cost both schools hundreds of millions of dollars in settlements.

It seems likely that such abuse has been going on forever, but now the students are speaking up, which, together with improved protective measures, should hopefully curtail it happening in the first place.
DiabloWags
MSaviolives said:

stu said:

More fuel on the fire:

No discussion of what he is alleged to have done, but the trend of team doctors getting charged with sexual abuse of student athletes is deeply disturbing. From the Ohio State wrestling coach, to Nassar and others. And then there are the campus doctors who have recently been charged with sexually abusing their student patients, such as at UCLA and USC, which has cost both schools hundreds of millions of dollars in settlements.

It seems likely that such abuse has been going on forever, but now the students are speaking up, which, together with improved protective measures, should hopefully curtail it happening in the first place.

Equally disturbing are some of the ridiculous posts by posters on Bearinsider claiming that McKeever is just a "tough coach" and the current crop of college athletes are "soft".

These are the same posters who never bothered to read any of the allegations made by Cal swimmers in articles written by investigative Olympic Sports reporter, Scott Reid. These are the same posters who believe Reid is biased because he is Southern California based (never mind he's quoting Cal Swimmers in interviews and the publisher that he works for is based in Denver). These are the posters that have written 1200 word "essays" about California employment law and how McKeever deserves "due process".

I swear, there are times when I read these message boards and believe that my Cal degree is worthless.

Big C
DiabloWags said:

oskidunker said:

DiabloWags said:

Wanna play?

If the bad publicity continues to mount and Knowlton keeps looking like he was hiding in his office...

... and if those big aquatics donors abandon him (or at least sign off on it) ...

Chancellor Christ will find a way around that extension. Heck, she's already gotten 7-8 earnest emails from low-level basketball season ticketholders, expressing their disappointment at our W/L on the hardwood!
Econ141
Big C said:

DiabloWags said:

oskidunker said:

DiabloWags said:

Wanna play?

If the bad publicity continues to mount and Knowlton keeps looking like he was hiding in his office...

... and if those big aquatics donors abandon him (or at least sign off on it) ...

Chancellor Christ will find a way around that extension. Heck, she's already gotten 7-8 earnest emails from low-level basketball season ticketholders, expressing their disappointment at our W/L on the hardwood!

Honestly not sure if you are being sarcastic - is 7/8 emails large in your opinion? Only 7-8 season ticket holders appalled at where things are currently probably isn't enough to get Christ to do anything. We probably only have 300 cal men's basketball fans worldwide.
stu
For the lawyers among us:
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/06/25/attorney-alleges-uc-berkeley-coach-teri-mckeever-is-the-victim-of-gender-bias/

Looks to me like another attempt to push women back to the 19th century. Maybe I should say young women since McKeever is claiming to be the injured party.
DiabloWags
When in doubt, play the "victim" card and spin, spin, spin.

https://www.ocregister.com/2022/06/25/attorney-alleges-uc-berkeley-coach-teri-mckeever-is-the-victim-of-gender-bias
Big C
fat_slice said:

Big C said:

DiabloWags said:

oskidunker said:

DiabloWags said:

Wanna play?

Honestly not sure if you are being sarcastic - is 7/8 emails large in your opinion? Only 7-8 season ticket holders appalled at where things are currently probably isn't enough to get Christ to do anything. We probably only have 300 cal men's basketball fans worldwide.

Yes, i was absolutely being sarcastic. Knowlton blew his men's basketball hire and hasn't done jack squat to rectify the situation, but he got a huge contract extension anyway, basically because most Cal Basketball fans have just gradually slunk away with a whimper (supposedly one of the biggest supporters stepped away at the time of Fox's hire).

OTOH, Knowlton could get canned because of all the bad pub emanating from the problems in a lesser program. Deservedly so, possibly, but I am a big basketball fan and don't care about swimming, hence the sarcasm.
calumnus
Big C said:

fat_slice said:

Big C said:

DiabloWags said:

oskidunker said:

DiabloWags said:

Wanna play?

Yes, i was absolutely being sarcastic. Knowlton blew his men's basketball hire and hasn't done jack squat to rectify the situation, but he got a huge contract situation anyway, basically because most Cal Basketball fans have just gradually slunk away with a whimper (supposedly one of the biggest stepped away at the time of Fox's hire).

OTOH, Knowlton could get canned because of all the bad pub emanating from the problems in a lesser program. Deservedly so, possibly, but I am a big basketball fan and don't care about swimming, hence the sarcasm.

I don't care about swimming as much as I care about the swimmers. The problem is some have it reversed.
DiabloWags
calumnus said:

Big C said:

fat_slice said:

Big C said:

DiabloWags said:

oskidunker said:

DiabloWags said:

Wanna play?

Yes, i was absolutely being sarcastic. Knowlton blew his men's basketball hire and hasn't done jack squat to rectify the situation, but he got a huge contract situation anyway, basically because most Cal Basketball fans have just gradually slunk away with a whimper (supposedly one of the biggest stepped away at the time of Fox's hire).

I don't care about swimming as much as I care about the swimmers. The problem is some have it reversed.

I have a lot of respect for our swimmers and water polo student/athletes. Their workouts are off the charts! I cant even begin to imagine what it must have been like to be "coached" by McKeever.

If youre tired of watching Men's Basketball disappoint, I'd suggest you go to a Cal swim meet or water polo match. It's a family sport with a ton of legacy in the stands, in an intensely intimate venue. Trust me, you'll be pleasantly surprised!
Big C
calumnus said:

Big C said:

fat_slice said:

Big C said:

DiabloWags said:

oskidunker said:

DiabloWags said:

Wanna play?

Sure. Taking care of the student-athletes -- in all the sports -- is like, the minimum expectation.
calumnus
DiabloWags said:

calumnus said:

Big C said:

fat_slice said:

Big C said:

DiabloWags said:

oskidunker said:

DiabloWags said:

Wanna play?

I have a lot of respect for our swimmers and water polo student/athletes. Their workouts are off the charts! I cant even begin to imagine what it must have been like to be "coached" by McKeever.

If youre tired of watching Men's Basketball disappoint, I'd suggest you go to a Cal swim meet or water polo match. It's a family sport with a ton of legacy in the stands, in an intensely intimate venue. Trust me, you'll be pleasantly surprised!

I went to a few meets when I lived in downtown Berkeley and Missy Franklin was on the team.
stu
Today's issue prominently mentions Title IX and aquatics but not surprisingly includes nothing about Teri McKeever.

Men's basketball comes up only in the context of Academic Progress Rate. Better than nothing. Women's basketball appears twice (Earth Day and Sportsmanship) and the issue closes with a picture of Charmin Smith and a few words from her praising Title IX.
DiabloWags
CAL is in that "touchy feely" place when it comes to TitleIX compliance.

As long as the female undergraduate student body believes (thru surveys) that the University is providing equal opportunity for recreational facilities for women and striving towards compliance, the University never has to abide by Title IX from a strict ratio numbers game of male to female undergrads.

But as soon as they "cut" a Woman's intercollegiate sports program, they are put in the penalty box and have to adhere by the numbers.

DiabloWags
calumnus said:

AunBear89 said:

GoldenOnenote has never grown tired of demonstrating he knows nothing about which he opines. Just a continuous flow of anti Cal negativity.

The debt "reworking" is just accounting. It effectively increases the subsidy for athletics, it does not turn athletics into a money maker. If anything, it takes pressure off of Knowlton to get the revenue sports earning revenue. He can act like he is still at Air Force where the bottom line, winning and attracting fans doesn't really matter.

The problem is when Christ and Knowlton move on, they will likely leave behind a bloated, money losing department with a decade of losing in the revenue sports and Cal's traditions and success long forgotten, unable to compete in the NIL world and vulnerable to inevitable future budget cuts ,

I fear this as well.
The budget cuts are indeed inevitable and they have been kicked down the road via three different AD's.
There doesnt seem to be any strategic vision that is immersed in common sense and reality.

socaltownie
DiabloWags said:

https://www.ocregister.com/2022/06/25/attorney-alleges-uc-berkeley-coach-teri-mckeever-is-the-victim-of-gender-bias

Bit more complicated. It says the AD was aware and didn't care/agreed with it.
Jeff is violating the first rule of being an AD -- don't give your boss a headache. I wouldn't be surprised to see an entire housecleaning.

<EDIT>
OK. Now I read the entire article. How in the F is this guy a counselor? He is doing his client NO favors.
DiabloWags
socaltownie said:

DiabloWags said:

Bit more complicated. It says the AD was aware and didn't care/agreed with it.
Jeff is violating the first rule of being an AD -- don't give your boss a headache. I wouldn't be surprised to see an entire housecleaning.

<EDIT>
OK. Now I read the entire article. How in the F is this guy a counselor? He is doing his client NO favors.

As Calumnus said, he's going the scorched earth route.
calumnus
Now UCLA and USC are reportedly leaving the PAC-12 and we need to have an AD who can make smart visionary, power moves fast, but instead we have Knowlton.

As I have said before, he was the exact opposite of what we needed at this critical time in the history of college sports. We will be lucky to still have an athletics program when his contract expires.
stu
We'll be lucky to have an athletic program when this year expires.
calumnus
stu said:

We'll be lucky to have an athletic program when this year expires.

Yes, it is happening faster than I thought.
stu
True. But much as I'd like to I can't blame Knowlton for the disintegration of the Pac-12.
calumnus
stu said:

True. But much as I'd like to I can't blame Knowlton for the disintegration of the Pac-12.

True, that was 100% Tennis Larry. However, Knowlton has weakened Cal's hand, and will likely be inept in playing the cards he has in finding a spot for Cal in the aftermath. With a sharper AD maybe we and Stanford are part of the package deal with UCLA and USC? My point is that with the college sports landscape changing so quickly, we need a smart, dynamic AD with business savvy, vision and chutzpah.
stu
calumnus said:

stu said:

True, that was 100% Tennis Larry. However, Knowlton has weakened Cal's hand, and will likely be inept in playing the cards he has in finding a spot for Cal in the aftermath. With a sharper AD maybe we and Stanford are part of the package deal with UCLA and USC? My point is that with the college sports landscape changing so quickly, we need a smart, dynamic AD with business savvy, vision and chutzpah.
More true.
HearstMining
calumnus said:

stu said:

I'm sure Knowlton is working the phone right now - trying to schedule a series of games with Air Force.
DiabloWags
HearstMining said:

calumnus said:

stu said:

I'm sure Knowlton is working the phone right now - trying to schedule a series of games with Air Force.
I think he delegated that to Munger & Tolles.
stu
Today's issue gives a whole paragraph to both basketball teams traveling to Europe and also mentions the basketball alumni event. Big improvement.
calumnus
Cal AD called "evil," for rewarding McKeever with $1.5 million new contract despite many complaints of abuse.

https://www.ocregister.com/2022/08/03/cal-continued-to-give-teri-mckeever-pay-raises-despite-bullying-complaints/

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.