Did anybody suggest that Mike Brown coach at Cal? Hard pass.

2,488 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Big C
Big C
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I know, I know, this is just one snapshot, but from what I've seen of the Warriors the past two games... yikes.

Tonight's debacle in Memphis -- when considering the respective rosters they have to work with -- is worse than any Fox-coached Cal game I've seen. I'm sure the Sacramento Kings are pretty excited for next season right about now.

(Don't bother taking issue with any of the above; I'm just messing around a little bit.)
dimitrig
Big C said:

I know, I know, this is just one snapshot, but from what I've seen of the Warriors the past two games... yikes.

Tonight's debacle in Memphis -- when considering the respective rosters they have to work with -- is worse than any Fox-coached Cal game I've seen. I'm sure the Sacramento Kings are pretty excited for next season right about now.

(Don't bother taking issue with any of the above; I'm just messing around a little bit.)

Can he recruit?

Big C
dimitrig said:

Big C said:

Can he recruit?

Never had to. NBA coaching background.
bluesaxe
Big C said:

You're tripping if you think Brown wouldn't be five times better than Fox. But he has a better job so it's not an issue.
Big C
bluesaxe said:

Big C said:

You're tripping if you think Brown wouldn't be five times better than Fox. But he has a better job so it's not an issue.

I'm not sure at all that Brown would be "five times better than Fox" (and I'm no Fox Fan), but more to the point, read the last line of my post above. The Warriors looked God-awful last night and I was sort of venting.

Mike Brown seems to be a great Assistant Coach, sticking to what he does well. Not so great, maybe, at the head job.
Econ141
My dead dog who died in 1986 (RIP Sugar!) would be a step up from our current coach.
SFCityBear
Big C said:

bluesaxe said:

Big C said:

I'm not sure at all that Brown would be "five times better than Fox" (and I'm no Fox Fan), but more to the point, read the last line of my post above. The Warriors looked God-awful last night and I was sort of venting.

Mike Brown seems to be a great Assistant Coach, sticking to what he does well. Not so great, maybe, at the head job.
Brown works on a daily basis with players who are bigger, quicker, much more skilled at everything and already know how to play basketball. He might not have a clue how to get production from the very raw, not very athletic, and unskilled youngsters Cal has. And he will have no Curry or Draymond, or Klay or even an Iggy to depend on.
SFCityBear
calumnus
Big C said:

bluesaxe said:

Big C said:

I bet he would be 5 times better as a recruiter:
Went to HS in Germany. Played college ball in SD. Head coach and NBA Coach of the year in Cleveland, coached the Lakers and Warriors. Coach of the Nigerian national team.
So name recognition and contacts in:
1. Los Angeles
2. The Bay Area
3. San Diego
4. Ohio/Nationwide
5. Germany
7. Nigeria

But yeah, he will be coaching the Sacramento Kings next year.
Big C

And the correct answer is: Mike Brown would be 1.75 times better than Mark Fox, as a recruiter.
philbert
So mike brown for cal coach now?
BearSD
philbert said:

Or Draymond Green?

Quote:

On Warriors coach Mike Brown's decision to start Looney: "It was Draymond's call. Draymond and Steph," Brown said.

https://theathletic.com/news/warriors-western-conference-finals/qZGdV2m4kPg5/
oski003
calumnus said:

Big C said:

bluesaxe said:

Big C said:

Went to HS in Germany. Played college ball in SD. Head coach and NBA Coach of the year in Cleveland, coached the Lakers and Warriors. Coach of the Nigerian national team.
1. Los Angeles
2. The Bay Area
3. San Diego
4. Ohio/Nationwide
5. Germany
7. Nigeria

Didn't fox coach the USA men's Olympic team, which is composed of the best players in the world?
concordtom
Big C said:

And the correct answer is: Mike Brown would be 1.75 times better than Mark Fox, as a recruiter.

You must be a leftist, or righty, idiot - because the correct number is 2.1. Any reasonable person knows that.
I bet you didn't even go to Cal!
concordtom
fat_slice said:

My dead dog who died in 1986 (RIP Sugar!) would be a step up from our current coach.

My dead dog Sugar (circa 2005) would not be a step up. She was actually pretty stupid, though very sweet. White lab.
concordtom
calumnus said:

Big C said:

bluesaxe said:

Big C said:

1. Los Angeles
2. The Bay Area
3. San Diego
4. Ohio/Nationwide
5. Germany
7. Nigeria

I'm sold.
Hire that man immediately!!!
No joke.

But, yeah, he's never coming.

What great gig it is to coach ncaa hoops. $$$
concordtom
BearSD said:

philbert said:

Or Draymond Green?

Quote:

On Warriors coach Mike Brown's decision to start Looney: "It was Draymond's call. Draymond and Steph," Brown said.

https://theathletic.com/news/warriors-western-conference-finals/qZGdV2m4kPg5/

Here are the two pertinent clips re Mike Brown (and Steve Kerr) deciding to start looney, queued up to proper second in clip.

Recap,
Kerr started Payton in 1&2
And Kuminga in 3 after Payton injury, which W's won.
Brown then stayed with Kuminga in games 4&5, before relegating him to DNP last night.

Basically, the vets are saying, "yo, Kuminga, you don't know what you're doing out there yet."
Big C
oski003 said:

calumnus said:

Big C said:

bluesaxe said:

Big C said:

1. Los Angeles
2. The Bay Area
3. San Diego
4. Ohio/Nationwide
5. Germany
7. Nigeria

Didn't fox coach the USA men's Olympic team, which is composed of the best players in the world?

Fox worked with USA Basketball for a few weeks, in his year off after Georgia and before Cal. Looks good on the ol' resume. As I recall, it was not a paid position (though correct me if I am wrong). Not to completely make light of it: It was a sign of some respect that he was invited to do that.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.