Foxcuses for the 2022-23 Season

2,398 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Big C
BC Calfan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Excuses for Fox are already mounting. Expect a boatload next year during another down season. Here's a running list, please contribute.

-Celestine injury: lost our best returning player.
-Askew ineligible: we were expecting him to get a waiver.
-NIL: We can't compete with other programs and NIL, expected to get Andre back but our NIL package wasn't enough.
-Grant Newell development hampered by senior year injury.
bluehenbear
- Lack of fan support?
stu
Global warming makes recruits wary of coastal locations.
War in Ukraine has hampered European recruiting.
Supreme Court may up the consequences of screwing around.
Fire smoke restricts outdoor practices.
Price of gasoline reduces scouting and recruiting trips.
Bear Insider polls hamper recruiting.
Cryptocurrency bust damaged out NIL program.
calfanz
Celestine injury?!?
stu
calfanz said:

Celestine injury?!?
From another thread:

4thGenCal said:

Very tough news and with any injury its hard to see/stomach it happening - but especially with such a good person and promising player in Jalen Celestine. Non contact injury on the last workout day (Thursday before the break) occurred to his left knee when stepping on it at a slightly different angle. The left knee gave out and its a ACL and meniscus injury (not the previously injured right knee. Not a doctor at all, but typically a 10+ month rehab/recovery period to be back provided the knee recovers nicely. Will have surgery soon. Best wishes and thoughts for a healthy and faster recovery than normal.

LateHit
"…as we continue the rebuild…"
calumnus
BC Calfan said:

Excuses for Fox are already mounting. Expect a boatload next year during another down season. Here's a running list, please contribute.

-NIL: We can't compete with other programs and NIL, expected to get Andre back but our NIL package wasn't enough.

Lack of a practice facility
City of Berkeley something or other
Cal academics
Lack of fan support, small crowds
Wyking Jones' recruits all left
Soccer
Assistant coaches
The players, lack of talent
KenBurnski
Defense gave up 11 points, an inexcusable effort
oskidunker
The new players have really helped turn things around. With the loss of Celestine, Alajiki has really stepped up.
Go Bears!
parentswerebears
If Knowlton extends him further, BI should shut down this forum and the paid one, because there won't really be anything to discuss.
sluggo
If the players try hard enough to defend everything will be fine. But if they don't, it is they who are to blame.
KoreAmBear
BC Calfan said:

--I am chipping in another $10,000 for free tickets. How can you fire me for such goodwill?
calumnus
parentswerebears said:

If Knowlton extends him further, BI should shut down this forum and the paid one, because there won't really be anything to discuss.

"The COVID-19 pandemic is now well into its fourth year. I only extended Mark Fox's contract one year due to COVID-19. I am now rectifying that by extending Mark's contract another 3 years. I am told we only won one conference game this year, but I am assured by Mark that we won it the right way. I just always feel comfortable around him, and that is important. When I hired Mark I told him the rebuilding will be a long process, but fortunately he is younger than me and can carry on this rebuild after my current lifetime contract expires. I just ask our dedicated fan to be patient."
HKBear97!
stu said:

calfanz said:

Celestine injury?!?
From another thread:

4thGenCal said:

Very tough news and with any injury its hard to see/stomach it happening - but especially with such a good person and promising player in Jalen Celestine. Non contact injury on the last workout day (Thursday before the break) occurred to his left knee when stepping on it at a slightly different angle. The left knee gave out and its a ACL and meniscus injury (not the previously injured right knee. Not a doctor at all, but typically a 10+ month rehab/recovery period to be back provided the knee recovers nicely. Will have surgery soon. Best wishes and thoughts for a healthy and faster recovery than normal.

Holy crap. Feel terrible for him. Hope he has a successful recovery.

As for Fox, this is not really an excuse, more another example why he is not cut out for this. Our talent level is so challenged we simply can't afford to lose Celestine. That would not be the case if we had a competent staff.
socaltownie
It will be over in 12 months. Thankfully. I really wanted to be on #teamFox but it is impossible. God I hope JK doesn't screw this up.
Chapman_is_Gone
You people who still buy premium seats, and to a lesser extent, those of you who still go to many games, are part of the problem.
Big C
Chapman_is_Gone said:

You people who still buy premium seats, and to a lesser extent, those of you who still go to many games, are part of the problem.

That may be, but I'm not too good at examining my larger role and making decisions based on said. I see a Cal Basketball game on the schedule and, knowing some of my buddies will be there, I just go. And I pretty much have a good time. Selfish of me, sure, but don't we all pretty much act in our own self-interest?

Yes, I am -- partly -- the reason why we suck. It's the cross I bear.
upsetof86
bluehenbear said:

- Lack of fan support?

Lmao
BeachedBear
Big C said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

That may be, but I'm not too good at examining my larger role and making decisions based on said. I see a Cal Basketball game on the schedule and, knowing some of my buddies will be there, I just go. And I pretty much have a good time. Selfish of me, sure, but don't we all pretty much act in our own self-interest?

That is exactly how I felt for years. Calm Bball was a great excuse to socialize with old friends and was the primary reason I continued to attend games. But we got soooo bad, that my friends wouldn't even go to the games if I bought dinner. The movement away from consistent game times and the poor atmosphere that discouraged talking also had a lot to do with it. Sure maybe it was the company, but . .. naaaah.

Honestly all of my donations were selfish - it was to support my social desires. I did not want to pay the coach a high salary or compete with the recruiting arms race. When the social aspect died - I stopped.
89Bear
Big C said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

Awesome response, and I share your burden!
BC Calfan
Chapman_is_Gone said:

Going to Cal basketball games is a tradition I have done with my Dad for 35 years now. Even during the Wyking-Fox era. It's an easy routine, we can meet in Downtown Berkeley easily, get a bite on Center St., catch the game and both be home at a decent hour. I agree, in a way, we are supporting this fiasco.
Big C
BC Calfan said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

Going to Cal basketball games is a tradition I have done with my Dad for 35 years now. Even during the Wyking-Fox era. It's an easy routine, we can meet in Downtown Berkeley easily, get a bite on Center St., catch the game and both be home at a decent hour. I agree, in a way, we are supporting this fiasco.

Maybe some of us, our like-minded friends and our families can get t-shirts made...

BLAME THE LOSSES ON US
or...
WE ARE WHY WE LOSE
or...
WE SHOOT 28% FROM BEYOND THE ARC BECAUSE OF THAT LOSER FAN, "BIG C"

Another possibility is, we could sponsor a time-out or halftime promotion. The possibilities are endless. Knowlton would probably eat this up, because it would take some of the heat off of him and his hires and put it where it belongs: on us!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.