DeJuan Clayton

2,247 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by oskidunker
eastcoastcal
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Incoming transfer. Anyone know anything about him? Played at Coppin and Hartford. Grad Transfer PG. Out most of last season. Also, with this transfer, is our roster set for next season?
KoreAmBear
eastcoastcal said:

Incoming transfer. Anyone know anything about him? Played at Coppin and Hartford. Grad Transfer PG. Out most of last season. Also, with this transfer, is our roster set for next season?
Good to have especially if Askew is not granted eligibility this season. However, we are going to be hurting in the bigs department.
stu
In the lower-level MEAC conference Clayton had a good A/TO ratio, a good FT percentage, and some steals. His overall and 3-point FG percentages were not that good.
https://coppinstatesports.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/dejuan-clayton/2499

Looks like a viable PG if he can adapt to the level and stay healthy. I mention the latter because it looks like he has missed most of two seasons (played 6 games in 2017-18 and 2 games in 2021-22).
stu
KoreAmBear said:

Good to have especially if Askew is not granted eligibility this season. However, we are going to be hurting in the bigs department.
I hear your concern about bigs but I'm worried even more about guards. From last season's offensively-challenged team Shepherd and Foreman used up their eligibility, Klonaras transferred out, and Celestine tore up his knee. We have only Brown, Hyder, Roberson, and Askew (who may have to sit out a year) so I think another guard should have been our top priority. I'd prefer a lights-out shooter but right now Cal is a tough sell.
eastcoastcal
Also, given he's a grad transfer, where does this ultimately land us in terms of # of scholarships available for '23? Furthermore, let's say theoretically Fox is fired at the conclusion of next season. Won't he have secured the '23 commitments already, leaving the next coach's first class to be the class of '24?
calumnus
stu said:

KoreAmBear said:

I hear your concern about bigs but I'm worried even more about guards. From last season's offensively-challenged team Shepherd and Foreman used up their eligibility, Klonaras transferred out, and Celestine tore up his knee. We have only Brown, Hyder, Roberson, and Askew (who may have to sit out a year) so I think another guard should have been our top priority. I'd prefer a lights-out shooter but right now Cal is a tough sell.

It seems like this is an indication Fox does not expect Askew to be eligible this season.

Bigs are Lars, Kuany, Anywanwu and Okafer.

The big issue with this team is going to be scoring.

sluggo
calumnus said:

stu said:

KoreAmBear said:

It seems like this is an indication Fox does not expect Askew to be eligible this season.

Bigs are Lars, Kuany, Anywanwu and Okafer.

The big issue with this team is going to be scoring.

Had a very good freshman year scoring 12 points on 47% shooting from 2 and 35% shooting from 3. Fast forward to his first senior year (this will be his third) where he scored an inefficient 15 points on 41% shooting from 2 and 28% shooting from 3. And now he is stepping up in competition. But at least he has experience scoring.

The eye test shows a strong, athletic player. I think he will be the guy late in the shot clock, which was very much needed. Given where the team is at, I think he will be a backup point but the starting 2. See below where he scores 22 points against Duke. He is #13.

Overall, I think he will be a big help. But he is not the type of player they should be recruiting if they want to get out of double digits. He also makes sense as a one year player for a team short on scholarships for the following season..

parentswerebears
Welcome Dejuan! You'll get good playing time, but not many wins.
SFCityBear
Interesting article:

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/basketball/bs-sp-dejuan-clayton-coppin-state-basketball-20210302-2adpp3stzfgjratvvcgfjph63i-story.html
SFCityBear
stu
Thanks for posting that. In the pic of him shooting he looks left handed.
HoopDreams
"My freshman year, I could have transferred," he recalled. "But Juan Dixon came in serious. He recruited me every day. He treated me as if I was in high school all over again. There was a trust that he built from the start."

Dixon said he and his staff recognized Clayton as "a steal" for the program.
"When we did our research on DeJuan and we looked at his freshman year, we realized that we had a point guard that could be the cornerstone of our program for many years to come, but we knew we had to recruit DeJuan, his parents, his grandparents in order for us to get an opportunity to coach him," he said. "So we brought his family in, we showed him film, we discussed our vision and our plans for DeJuan Clayton, and since that day, we've built an unbelievable relationship."

---

"There was just a lot of stuff, mainly personal stuff that had built up," he said. "COVID was a part of it, and I just needed a couple games off. He trusted me, and I trusted him, and it worked out."

Dixon, who said he received permission from Clayton's father Derrick to call the younger Clayton "my son," granted the request. Dixon said he knew Clayton was ready to return after a six-game absence when he wrote a letter to the coach.

"It was an unbelievable note well written, well put together, well thought out," Dixon said. "He just finally opened up and articulated what he was feeling, what he thought we could possibly do better as a staff. He hit the nail on the head in his note. He was right, and we've tried to be more understanding as a staff when it comes to understanding what the players are dealing with while helping them grow and helping them reach their full potential."
parentswerebears
Interesting.
oskidunker
So why did he not stay there?
Go Bears!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.