Story Poster
Photo by Al Sermeno - KLC Fotos
Cal Basketball

D.J. Thorpe Medically Retires From Basketball

May 31, 2022

BERKELEY – California forward D.J. Thorpe has medically retired from basketball, head coach Mark Fox announced Tuesday.

Thorpe, who missed the entire 2021-22 season due to injury, recently concluded his junior year academically as a society & environment major. He is expected to remain enrolled at Cal and complete his undergraduate degree.

“I’m grateful for our entire medical staff and their assistance throughout this process, most specifically Barry Parsons and Dr. Lindsay Huston; their continued support was invaluable during this difficult time,” Thorpe said.

The Lake Travis, Texas native played in 53 career games across his freshman and sophomore seasons with the Golden Bears, averaging 1.4 points, 1.5 rebounds and 6.8 minutes per game while shooting 50.9 percent from the field. He appeared in all but eight games throughout the 2019-20 and 2020-21 seasons.

“I’m heartbroken that D.J. will be unable to continue his basketball career despite his strenuous efforts to battle back from the injury he suffered this past season,” Fox said. “However, I’m thrilled that he will continue to work toward earning his degree from Cal and our program looks forward to fully supporting him in that pursuit.”

Thorpe was selected to the Pac-12 Winter Academic Honor Roll in back-to-back seasons in 2020-21 and 2021-22.

Thorpe arrived at Cal as a freshman ahead of the 2019-20 season after a standout prep career at Lake Travis High School (Texas), where he was rated as a three-star prospect by ESPN, Rivals and 247Sports.

Discussion from...

D.J. Thorpe Medically Retires From Basketball

4,180 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by calumnus
Big C
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Thanks for being a Golden Bear, DJ and for all the sacrifices you made. Wishing you lots of future success!
calumnus
It is one of the selling points for Cal: injuries happen. Life is uncertain. Very happy that DJ came to Cal, is doing well academically and will leave with a good degree.
HoopDreams
Must be extremely difficult to have so much talent, have the injury, grind out the recovery, yet not be able to return to the court

cool that he is staying at Cal for his degree, and has been successful in the classroom

Good luck to you DJ

eastcoastcal
Do we now have 1 more scholarship to give? Or is the roster set?
stu
AFAIK we had 2 scholarships from the departures of Klonaras and Thorpe which we used for Askew and Clayton.
Big C

Is Clayton official? That was a bit of a head scratcher, given Askew. Either they figure Askew isn't going to be eligible right away. or there's something else...

But yes, with those last two, we're full up, unless there's somehow more movement.
calumnus
Big C said:

Is Clayton official? That was a bit of a head scratcher, given Askew. Either they figure Askew isn't going to be eligible right away. or there's something else...

But yes, with those last two, we're full up, unless there's somehow more movement.

It is too late for further departures to the portal. Unless there is a surprise medical retirement (Thorpes's was anticipated), the roster is set with the big remaining question being whether Askew will be eligible this Fall.
59bear
Perhaps it was through the lens of an Old (really, really old} Blue but I always thought he showed promise in his limited opportunities. Best wishes for a great future armed with a Cal degree.
sluggo
Big C said:

Clayton has averaged 15 points for a season. No other player has averaged more than 5. Although his game is not like Shepherd, I think his value will be similar.

And he will only hold the scholarship for one season.
stu
Clayton is official. I expect him to start or play a lot of minutes, depending on whether Askew is eligible. Either way I think he'll take a lot of shots, kinda like Shepherd last year. I have no idea if he can be an efficient scorer in this league.

I predict Lars will be our go-to guy on offense. He's been efficient, he's been improving, and IMHO he should be taking more shots.
rkt88edmo
Thank you DJ - best of luck in all things going forward. Go Bears!
calumnus
stu said:

Clayton is official. I expect him to start or play a lot of minutes, depending on whether Askew is eligible. Either way I think he'll take a lot of shots, kinda like Shepherd last year. I have no idea if he can be an efficient scorer in this league.

I predict Lars will be our go-to guy on offense. He's been efficient, he's been improving, and IMHO he should be taking more shots.

Without Askew it is a very safe bet he starts or plays a lot of minutes. Our other options at guard are Hyder and Roberson both of whom the coaches do not seem to have much confidence in. I was hoping Celestine and Alajiki coukd be the wings, but with Celestine out that only leaves the possibility of Alajiki at the 2, which could get more of our many forwards onto the court at the 3 and 4, but it is not likely Fox would go that way.
stu
I don't see Alajiki as a 2 but then my vision isn't all that great.
calumnus
stu said:

I don't see Alajiki as a 2 but then my vision isn't all that great.

No, at 6'7 225, he is clearly a small forward by most standards including almost certainly Fox's. Thus, the high likelihood Clayton starts and plays major minutes if Askew is not eligible.

With Celestine out, the choices at the 2 are Roberson, Hyder and Clayton. Maybe Bowser? Or the new walk-on? Fox is looking for someone who can defend the 2 and score. Clayton most likely but I'm really rooting for Roberson to show us something.

Any other choice (like playing Alajiki there) would be if none of those work out and the play of someone Iike Newell demands he be on the court. All not worth speculating about now.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.