New offer from Cal Basketball

3,201 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by eastcoastcal
Intuit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
6'10" F Devin Curtis of Heritage Christian (2023) has picked up an offer from Cal! #ALLIN

KoreAmBear
Intuit said:

6'10" F Devin Curtis of Heritage Christian (2023) has picked up an offer from Cal! #ALLIN

Looks like he can shoot:

http://www.hudl.com/v/2Gu2m1
eastcoastcal
An unranked player whos other offers include Loyola Marymount, Montana, UCSB, and Northern Illinois.

lets go
KoreAmBear
eastcoastcal said:

An unranked player whos other offers include Loyola Marymount, Montana, UCSB, and Northern Illinois.

lets go
Well USCB took our best player, and we want Montana's coach so there's that.
eastcoastcal
hahaha shows you exactly where we stand lol. might be not even top 3 for this player
Econ141
Imagine the shame after our hat is left on the table at the announcement where he chooses Northern Illinois and says academics and a chance to play in the post season were his main criteria.
Big C
eastcoastcal said:

lets go

As they say on the football boards, he looks like OKG!
calumnus
KoreAmBear said:

Intuit said:

Looks like he can shoot:

The big question I have is which of the players playing their 4th this Fall: Lars, Kuany, Brown and Hyder, might come back for a 5th COVID year in '23-'24?

It seems like this offer anticipates Lars and especially Kuany moving on?
Econ141
calumnus said:

KoreAmBear said:

Intuit said:

Looks like he can shoot:

The big question I have is which of the players playing their 4th this Fall: Lars, Kuany, Brown and Hyder, might come back for a 5th COVID year in '23-'24?

Who the heck wouldn't move on from this train wreck? Only us fans are that sadistic.
KoreAmBear
fat_slice said:

calumnus said:

KoreAmBear said:

Intuit said:

Looks like he can shoot:

Who the heck wouldn't move on from this train wreck? Only us fans are that sadistic.
I suppose guys like Grant who seemed to really enjoy Cal.
Big C
KoreAmBear said:

fat_slice said:

calumnus said:

KoreAmBear said:

Intuit said:

Looks like he can shoot:

Honestly, we've had less departures than many other teams. Granted, losing Bradley hurt. Kelly graduated, so I don't consider it a departure, Dude did his four years. Same goes for the four that Calumnus referenced,
Econ141
Big C said:

KoreAmBear said:

fat_slice said:

calumnus said:

KoreAmBear said:

Intuit said:

Looks like he can shoot:

Honestly, we've had less departures than many other teams. Granted, losing Bradley hurt. Kelly graduated, so I don't consider it a departure, Dude did his four years. Same goes for the four that Calumnus referenced,

They are all great guys but let's be honest - no one else is transferring because they are not good enough to get significant minutes,let alone start,at this level. They would be bench players at best at other programs. The guys who had some inkling of potential all left (Bradley, sueing, McNeil. Vanover. Kelly). The one who didn't have all that much talent -- JHD -- never found a place to go and finished off his time at Cal but off the team.

Kelly could have chosen a certificate program I'm sure ... If he really enjoyed his time and prospects at Cal.
sluggo
eastcoastcal said:

lets go
He has a long way to go as a player. At least he is tall.
mdbear
fat_slice said:

Big C said:

KoreAmBear said:

fat_slice said:

calumnus said:

KoreAmBear said:

Intuit said:

Looks like he can shoot:

They are all great guys but let's be honest - no one else is transferring because they are not good enough to get significant minutes,let alone start,at this level. They would be bench players at best at other programs. The guys who had some inkling of potential all left (Bradley, sueing, McNeil. Vanover. Kelly). The one who didn't have all that much talent -- JHD -- never found a place to go and finished off his time at Cal but off the team.

Kelly could have chosen a certificate program I'm sure ... If he really enjoyed his time and prospects at Cal.
Right on target Fat Slice. The players that left were getting plenty of playing time. When we recruited them, they had multiple offers from Power 5 colleges. Now we are competing against mid-majors for talent because Power 5 prospects are not interested. We are in a vicious cycle of losing talent because we are losing on the court, which makes other talented prospects look elsewhere. These recruits do not share Knowlton's inexplicable optimism that we are on the brink of respectability in the Pac 12.
concernedparent
mdbear said:

fat_slice said:

Big C said:

KoreAmBear said:

fat_slice said:

calumnus said:

KoreAmBear said:

Intuit said:

Looks like he can shoot:

Right on target Fat Slice. The players that left were getting plenty of playing time. When we recruited them, they had multiple offers from Power 5 colleges. Now we are competing against mid-majors for talent because Power 5 prospects are not interested. We are in a vicious cycle of losing talent because we are losing on the court, which makes other talented prospects look elsewhere. These recruits do not share Knowlton's inexplicable optimism that we are on the brink of respectability in the Pac 12.
Even if we were losing, if you could sell something exciting about the program we could get some P5 prospects. But no, you'll be yelled at by some hard-ass old guy with suspect credentials playing an ugly offense at a snail's pace.
calumnus
concernedparent said:

mdbear said:

fat_slice said:

Big C said:

KoreAmBear said:

fat_slice said:

calumnus said:

KoreAmBear said:

Intuit said:

Looks like he can shoot:

Even if we were losing, if you could sell something exciting about the program we could get some P5 prospects. But no, you'll be yelled at by some hard-ass old guy guy with suspect credentials playing an ugly offense at a snail's pace.

We can see from Knowlton's reported McKeever defense that Fox's coaching ideal is Bobby Knight coaching Army (Knowlton's alma mater) 50 years ago.

Fox isn't even that old, which makes that style less excusable.
mdbear
calumnus said:

concernedparent said:

mdbear said:

fat_slice said:

Big C said:

KoreAmBear said:

fat_slice said:

calumnus said:

KoreAmBear said:

Intuit said:

Looks like he can shoot:

Even if we were losing, if you could sell something exciting about the program we could get some P5 prospects. But no, you'll be yelled at by some hard-ass old guy guy with suspect credentials playing an ugly offense at a snail's pace.

We can see from Knowlton's reported McKeever defense that Fox's coaching ideal is Bobby Knight coaching Army (Knowlton's alma mater) 50 years ago.

With all respect, I don't think the ugly offense is the issue. Tony Bennett has won over the Virginia fans with great defense and ugly offense because he wins. The fans go crazy every time the defense causes a shot clock violation. However, the obvious difference is that Bennett won a national championship with that style. For Fox, that style simply is not working.
evanluck
Congrats to Devon getting the offer!

6'10" with that kind of comfort on the outside is definitely something that can be built on!

Hope he chooses Cal and becomes a meaningful contributor right away!
KoreAmBear
mdbear said:

calumnus said:

concernedparent said:

mdbear said:

fat_slice said:

Big C said:

KoreAmBear said:

fat_slice said:

calumnus said:

KoreAmBear said:

Intuit said:

Looks like he can shoot:

With all respect, I don't think the ugly offense is the issue. Tony Bennett has won over the Virginia fans with great defense and ugly offense because he wins. The fans go crazy every time the defense causes a shot clock violation. However, the obvious difference is that Bennett won a national championship with that style. For Fox, that style simply is not working.
Well Tony has five stars guys so he has a bit of flexibility. Fox' biggest flaw is recruiting. It's pretty depressing.
calumnus
mdbear said:

calumnus said:

concernedparent said:

mdbear said:

fat_slice said:

Big C said:

KoreAmBear said:

fat_slice said:

calumnus said:

KoreAmBear said:

Intuit said:

Looks like he can shoot:

That is a misconception. Virginia plays very slow, but they are efficient on offense and defense. They missed the Tournament this year, but last year they were #36 in defensive efficiency, but #17 in offensive Efficiency.

https://kenpom.com/index.php?y=2021

Cal this year was #85 in defensive efficiency, but #222 in offensive efficiency.

Though as KoreAm points out, it is partly a result of recruiting. Defense first guys like Braun and Martin had relatively good teams at Cal when they had top recruits as go to players on offense. Fox did better when he had Bradley to play hero ball.

Fox has developed a reputation as a poor recruiter, largely due to his reputation as a coach, his personality, and his "unwillingness to play the AAU game."
eastcoastcal

Two of our offerees

would be awesome if they decided to both come here
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.