Story Poster
Photo by Connor Pickett
Cal Basketball

Abdur-Rahim Family Makes Gift To Cameron Institute

November 4, 2022

BERKELEY – When Cal men's basketball alumnus Shareef Abdur-Rahim and his wife, Dee Dee, were students at UC Berkeley, the resources provided to them meant everything.

Now the couple has ensured that present and future Golden Bear student-athletes will have access to greater resources, as they have contributed an impactful gift in support of the Cameron Institute endowment.

"Being connected to the Cameron Institute the past couple of years has provided me the chance to see the work that is being done for Cal's student-athletes and the support coming from (Cameron Institute Board Chairman) Bryan Cameron," Abdur-Rahim said. "In all of my close work with athletics, I have not seen anything close to what the Cameron Institute is doing to enhance the student-athlete experience."

The gift will go toward the Cameron Institute's mission of being a world-class system for developing student-athletes through three main pillars – career development, community engagement and partnerships, and mental performance and leadership development.

"We are incredibly grateful for Shareef and Dee Dee's longstanding support of Cal Athletics and their generous commitment to the Cameron Institute endowment," Cal Director of Athletics Jim Knowlton said. "They are tremendous examples of what it means to be Golden Bears and we are excited to receive their support in building the Cameron Institute into the nation's premier department of student-athlete development."

Abdur-Rahim arrived in Berkeley as one of the nation's top recruits ahead of the 1995-96 season and lived up to the hype, becoming the first player ever to be named Pac-10 Freshman of the Year and Player of the Year in the same season. He went on to become the No. 3 overall pick in the NBA Draft following his one season in Berkeley and had a 12-year career that included stints with four organizations.  Shareef was selected as an NBA All-Star in 2002 and also won a gold medal with the U.S. Olympic team in 2000.

When his playing days concluded, Abdur-Rahim became a league executive, including serving as the NBA Vice President of Basketball Operations before being named the president of the G League in 2018, a position he still holds. Abdur-Rahim returned to Cal to earn his degree in sociology in 2012 and has been a Cameron Institute Advisory Board member since 2020. He was also the recipient of the Pete Newell Career Achievement Award during the 2019-20 Cal men's basketball season. The award is presented to a Cal men's basketball alumnus who has distinguished himself in his career accomplishments, upholding the highest ideals of Coach Newell and the University of California, Berkeley.

In 2001, Dee Dee and Shareef, along with Shareef's sister, Qaadirah Abdur-Rahim '99, founded the Future Foundation, a non-profit that offers free academic, physical, social and developmental enrichment programs to over 4,000 disadvantaged and at-risk youth in the greater Atlanta area.

"Cal really prepared us to move on with our lives, professionally," said Dee Dee, a 1997 Cal alumna who became a criminal defense attorney, entrepreneur, and philanthropist. "We left campus with the confidence that we could not just be successful, but that we could thrive in our careers."

With two children, Jabri – a student-athlete on the men's basketball team at the University of Georgia – and Samiyah, the couple understands the hardships that students and families have to endure, as well as the sacrifices that are made when playing sports.

"I have immense gratitude for the generosity Shareef has shown the Cameron Institute," said Dr. Marissa Nichols, Director of the Cameron Institute. "As a Cameron Institute Advisory Board member and an important sports industry leader, Shareef has already provided invaluable strategic vision and input as we grow the Cameron Institute. It is special to have his and Dee Dee's philanthropic commitment, too. These transformational gifts are very important toward our ultimate goal of reaching a 40-million-dollar endowment."

"I am very appreciative of Shareef and Dee Dee's gift in support of the Cameron Institute," Bryan Cameron said. "Their gift is evidence of their generosity, their appreciation for their education at Cal, and their confidence that the Cameron Institute is making a significant impact in the lives of our student-athletes.  We are very fortunate to have Shareef and Dee Dee as distinguished members of the Cal family."

Discussion from...

Abdur-Rahim Family Makes Gift To Cameron Institute

3,970 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by mbBear
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
of Cal athletes all time, I'm most proud of Shareef Abdur-Rahim

His big gift to the Cameron Institute is very consistent with what he represents.

Thank you to Shareef and Dee Dee
True Golden Bears

calumnus
He would make a great Cal AD..
sonofabear51
Oh hell yes!
Start Slowly and taper off
mbBear
calumnus said:

He would make a great Cal AD..
Yeah, absolutely...maybe Cal could "compete" in terms of the salary, but he obviously is on a pretty high profile track within the NBA, so not sure if that would factor into his thinking.

No one posting yet questioning this donation vs. him giving to the basketball team, the basketball facility?? Shocked!

Oh, I know, let's work with the other constant theme here: "well, if Knowlton wasn't around he clearly would have given more!" Or, "what's he doing giving to something Knowlton created?! doesn't he know we need Knowlton to fail?!"
concordtom
Giving for the purpose of creating a better basketball facility would potentially improve the athletic ability, the ranking, of our recruits, and therefore lead to more wins.

Giving to the Cameron Institute will potentially improve the lives of whomever we bring in as recruits.

So, what would you rather have? More wins on the court? Or, more wins in life?
Abdur Rahim seems to know what's up!
concordtom
I'd be glad to read more about the strategies used by the Cameron Institute to aid student athletes.

mbBear
concordtom said:

Giving for the purpose of creating a better basketball facility would potentially improve the athletic ability, the ranking, of our recruits, and therefore lead to more wins.

Giving to the Cameron Institute will potentially improve the lives of whomever we bring in as recruits.

So, what would you rather have? More wins on the court? Or, more wins in life?
Abdur Rahim seems to know what's up!
The second part of my post was all sarcasm, related to some common themes on here. I totally agree with the Cameron Institute concept, and applaud it's creation by the Athletic Department.

HoopDreams
concordtom said:

I'd be glad to read more about the strategies used by the Cameron Institute to aid student athletes.

Here is a video with speakers who manage the Cameron Institute

They explain the program in-depth. Alumni can also get involved as a mentor, connect student athletes to their company internship, etc

See Formal Launch video

https://calbears.com/news/2022/5/31/cameron-institute-career-insight.aspx
Chapman_is_Gone
concordtom said:

Thanks to Shareef and Dee Dee (to clarify, that's Dee Dee Abdur-Rahim, not Dee Dee Ramone of the Ramones) for their gift!

Here is a fairly recent annual report. Apparently, the organization has only been around a few years. I think.

https://calbears.com/documents/2022/1/12/21Cam_Cal_AnnualReport_vFdr.pdf

mbBear
Chapman_is_Gone said:

concordtom said:

Thanks to Shareef and Dee Dee (to clarify, that's Dee Dee Abdur-Rahim, not Dee Dee Ramone of the Ramones) for their gift!

Here is a fairly recent annual report. Apparently, the organization has only been around a few years. I think.

https://calbears.com/documents/2022/1/12/21Cam_Cal_AnnualReport_vFdr.pdf

Right. This was created since Knowlton came on board
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.