The last Time MBB Started 0-3

1,764 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by socaltownie
ncbears
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have no idea when was the last time
Strykur
ncbears said:

I have no idea when was the last time
NVBear78
I am guessing never
Eastern Oregon Bear
In the 1997-98 season Cal started 0-4. However, the opponents were tougher than this year. Lost at 34-4 North Carolina, lost to St. Marys at Oracle Arena (apparently this was when Harmon was being rebuilt into Haas), lost at San Francisco and lost at Houston. The team still managed to finish 12-15. I don't foresee getting to 12-15 this season. In fact, I have trouble seeing even 3 or 4 wins.
CalLifer
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

In the 1997-98 season Cal started 0-4. However, the opponents were tougher than this year. Lost at 34-4 North Carolina, lost to St. Marys at Oracle Arena (apparently this was when Harmon was being rebuilt into Haas), lost at San Francisco and lost at Houston. The team still managed to finish 12-15. I don't foresee getting to 12-15 this season. In fact, I have trouble seeing even 3 or 4 wins.
I'm also pretty sure that was the year after Braun's sweet 16 team, where much of the talent (Ed Gray, Tony G., Al Grigsby, Randy Duck, Yogi Stewart) had graduated/moved on, and the Bozeman sanctions had taken effect. So a slow start to the season, especially playing some tough teams, could be understandable.

Just no way to find any excuses for Fox.
Ccajon2
Looking at Massys projection, there is only one conference game where Cal has more then a 50% chance to win. (Ore st. @home). So 1-19 in conference. We already lost two of the five or so OOC games we were expected to win. So 3-8 in OOC IF we win the 3 left we are favored to win. 4-27 overall.
Cal8285
CalLifer said:

Eastern Oregon Bear said:

I'm also pretty sure that was the year after Braun's sweet 16 team, where much of the talent (Ed Gray, Tony G., Al Grigsby, Randy Duck, Yogi Stewart) had graduated/moved on, and the Bozeman sanctions had taken effect. So a slow start to the season, especially playing some tough teams, could be understandable.

Just no way to find any excuses for Fox.
You are correct.

Cal had a lot of new bodies that Braun scraped together. The conference was pretty strong, coming off a season where the 5th place team in the conference won the NCAA tourney, the conference was still pretty good (along with a drop off from Cal, SC had a big drop off). And OOC schedule was fairly tough that year. Only 9 OOC games, and only 3 cream puffs (Portland St., New Hampshire, and Va. Commonwealth wasn't today's VCU), and a marginal one in BYU (roughtly a #145 team that year). After losing those first 4, we beat all 3 cream puffs and BYU, then lost in the middle of the conference season to a strong Rhode Island team on the road.

4-5 OOC and 8-10 in conference was pretty good for a team with that OOC schedule and that strong a conference that had nothing to play for due to sanctions.

This team can't even beat the two cream puffs they've gotten so far, being the first Cal team ever to lose to UC Davis after 33 wins, and losing for the second year in a row to a UCSD team ranked in the 300's.

On the OOC schedule we have 6 teams ranked 160 or worse in Sagarin, and 5 teams ranked 127 or better. If we were a decent team, we'd sweep the 160 or lower teams (especially since all are at Haas except for UCSD, the WORST of those 6 cream puffs), and pick up a win or two from the 5 others - 127 Santa Clara on the road, 103 TCU neutral, either 12 Iowa or 86 Clemson neutral, 44 Butler at home and the already played 54 Kansas St. at home.

With this schedule, we should have been able to go at least 8-3 OCC if we were decent, but even if we're the worst team in the conference, we should be able to go 6-5 OOC. We're on track to be NO BETTER than 4-7 OOC, which, given the schedule, is really a LOT worse than the 4-5 OOC that the 97-98 team had with nothing to play for. Just hoping we can beat the 4 remaining cream puffs on the schedule, all at Haas.

And I don't really want to think about conference will bring. Jones was on track for 0 or 1 wins until the team pulled out the final 3, but this team has a good chance to do worse than 3 conference wins.
Deutsch
Sad situation - I see no point in piling on. I hope all having to live through this will bear up and handle it with dignity.
Intuit
0 - 4 start 2022/2023 season futility
Harborview
Eastern Oregon Bear
I don't have the stomach for looking up the last time Cal started 0-4, 0-5, 0-6, 0-7...0-30.
Big C
Deutsch said:

Sad situation - I see no point in piling on. I hope all having to live through this will bear up and handle it with dignity.

Great post. I agree. As a season ticket holder, I am anticipating a long, character-building year.
southseasbear
Deutsch said:

We have to pile it on because we have a tone deaf AD who thinks Fox is a "genius," and hands out contract extensions to coaches the way Santa Claus gives away candy canes to kids in shopping malls.
Fire Knowlton!
Fire Fox!
Put Wilcox in a hot seat!
socaltownie
Well having 1100 folks at Haas has to be a wake up call.

But honestly we have to play out the string. There is little value in making the change in the middle of the season. The roster is ****ed. We just have to pray that jk is actually starting to think about candidates.

Kicker is 3 and 1 and turner is also doing well. Those two are on my list to interview....though turners inopportune ****ty joke is likely the kiss of death at ucb.
Take care of your Chicken
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.