Cal Basketball - the injury report card

4,012 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by stu
oskidunker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
stu said:

bearister said:

stu said:

So those of us from the 40s and 50s are still calling people gym rats. What do the kids say nowadays?

No such concept. They grew up drinking soda and playing video games. "Gamer" has replaced "gym rat." They can't even find anyone that can pass an Army physical.
Neither could I in the late 1960s, which is why I'm still alive to post.
Good is now "Sick" or "dope"
Go Bears!
bearmanpg
They call themselves "ballers".....in my day that had a whole different meaning....
RIP Alvin Lee....one of the best blues rock guitarist ever....

SFCityBear
Civil Bear said:

SFCityBear said:

stu said:

SFCityBear said:

HKBear97! said:

Thanks for your insight, Jim. All good points there.
Thanks. And my name isn't Jim, but it will do for now.
Is it Gym?
It could have been Gym Rat, maybe. Only back when I was playing, the term had not been invented, I think. I would have been proud of being called that. First time I heard it was someone describing Chris Mullin of the Warriors as a Gym Rat. Maybe he was describing himself. A guy who loved perspiring, wearing sweats, working out in a gym, by himself, or with his buddies, more than anything in the world. Remember "Run TMC"? The Bears could use some of that, except most players don't think like that anymore.
Originally from Canada, I grew up with the term rink rat for those that would spend as much time on the ice as they could. Don't know which came first, so I looked it up and rink rat has been around since the 40's.
rink rat. I like it.
SFCityBear
eastcoastcal
bearister said:

stu said:

So those of us from the 40s and 50s are still calling people gym rats. What do the kids say nowadays?

No such concept. They grew up drinking soda and playing video games. "Gamer" has replaced "gym rat." They can't even find anyone that can pass an Army physical.

I'll have you know my metaverse character is shredded & in perfect shape so take that!
eastcoastcal
stu said:

'gym bros'
SFCityBear
stu said:

bearister said:

stu said:

Neither could I in the late 1960s, which is why I'm still alive to post.
Me too. All I did was tell the Army I had asthma since childhood, and I was shown the door. The kid in front of me in line, a tall, lanky redhead with a lot of freckles, was really gung ho about going to Vietnam. He was the skinniest kid I ever saw, about 6'-3", and weighing about 100 lbs. The nurse barely got the needle in for the blood draw, and he passed out, falling to the floor. When they had revived him and told him he had failed the physical, he said, "I'm not worried. The Navy will take me."
SFCityBear
stu
SFCityBear said:

Me too. All I did was tell the Army I had asthma since childhood, and I was shown the door.
Same with me, though I had to document it and identify a picture of the doctor who wrote the records.

SFCityBear said:

The kid in front of me in line, a tall, lanky redhead with a lot of freckles, was really gung ho about going to Vietnam. He was the skinniest kid I ever saw, about 6'-3", and weighing about 100 lbs.
A guy on my floor in the dorm was 6'1" and 128 lbs, that was enough to get him out. A 6'7" friend of mine thought getting out on account of height would be dishonorable. With his degree he ended up working essentially a 9 to 5 job in the Army, first at Fort Detrick in MD then at Fort Ord in CA.
SFCityBear
stu said:

SFCityBear said:

Me too. All I did was tell the Army I had asthma since childhood, and I was shown the door.
Same with me, though I had to document it and identify a picture of the doctor who wrote the records.

I had a letter from my doctor as well. I should have mentioned that. I was allergic to my dog. When my dog passed away, and I never had asthma after that. I hope you are free of asthma now.
SFCityBear
stu
SFCityBear said:

I had a letter from my doctor as well. I should have mentioned that. I was allergic to my dog. When my dog passed away, and I never had asthma after that. I hope you are free of asthma now.
Thank you. When I moved from Contra Costa, then as much agricultural as suburban, to Berkeley my symptoms improved considerably.
bearister
eastcoastcal said:

bearister said:

stu said:

I'll have you know my metaverse character is shredded & in perfect shape so take that!

Yeah, but those muscles did your avatar little good when Zuckerberg's avatar accused yours of cheating in ping pong and then sewing machine shivved your avatar.

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
bearister
SFCityBear said:

stu said:

SFCityBear said:

" And I, I walked over to the, to the bench there, and there is, Group W's
Where they put you if you may not be moral enough to join the army after
Committing your special crime, and there was all kinds of mean nasty ugly
Looking people on the bench there. Mother rapers. Father stabbers. Father
Rapers! Father rapers sitting right there on the bench next to me!"
Arlo Guthrie, Alice's Restaurant
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
stu
That story was eerily accurate.
SFCityBear
bearister said:

SFCityBear said:

stu said:

SFCityBear said:

" And I, I walked over to the, to the bench there, and there is, Group W's
Where they put you if you may not be moral enough to join the army after
Committing your special crime, and there was all kinds of mean nasty ugly
Looking people on the bench there. Mother rapers. Father stabbers. Father
Rapers! Father rapers sitting right there on the bench next to me!"
Arlo Guthrie, Alice's Restaurant

Here is one of my all-time favorites, from "Stripes", the scene in the Army recruiting office with Bill Murray and his buddy attempting to join the military, hoping to find some new stimulus for their lives:

SFCityBear
stu
Thanks for the clip. On a related note, one of my favorite songs:

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.