Story Poster
Photo by Twitter / Cal Basketball
Cal Basketball

Cal Rolls Past UT Arlington For First Win

December 21, 2022

BERKELEY (AP) – Joel Brown and Lars Thiemann scored 17 points apiece to lead California to its first win of the season, a 73-51 victory against UT Arlington on Wednesday night at Haas Pavilion.

Brown’s 17 points were a career high as he and Thiemann shot a combined 15-for-23 from the floor. They were backed by fellow senior Kuany Kuany, who added a career-high 16 points, six rebounds and four assists for the Golden Bears (1-12). The victory came without leading scorer Devin Askew (16.9 PPG), who was injured in Sunday’s loss at Santa Clara and did not play against the Mavericks (5-8).

Cal extended a nine-point halftime lead to 21 in the first 10 minutes of the second half. The Bears made 8-of-13 shots and outscored UT Arlington 24-12 in that stretch, with Brown and Thiemann scoring six points each. The lead stretched as a layup by Brown followed a jumper from Kuany to give the Bears a 67-39 advantage with 3:29 remaining.

The Bears shot 61 percent in the second half on the way to 45 points, with eight different players scoring in the final 20 minutes, including 13 of Kuany’s 16. Cal’s 56.5-percent shooting clip for the game and 73 points scored were both season bests.

In the first half, Thiemann’s personal 9-0 run turned a 14-10 Cal lead into a 23-10 advantage. After the Mavericks brought it back within six, 25-19, Grant Newell knocked down a key 3-pointer with 18 seconds remaining in the half to send Cal to the locker room with a 28-19 lead. The Bears shot 52 percent before intermission and attempted only three 3-pointers, making one.

Shemar Wilson had 14 points and 11 rebounds and Chendall Weaver added 12 points for the Mavericks.

UP NEXT

Cal will resume the full slate of Pac-12 play on Thursday, Dec. 29 when it hosts Utah at Haas Pavilion. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. PST on the Pac-12 Network.

Discussion from...

Cal Rolls Past UT Arlington For First Win

3,363 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by SFCityBear
dimitrig
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Thus starts Cal's double digit win streak and surprise run to the Final Four.
chazzed
Yes! This will allow our players to breathe a little bit.
oskidunker
Utsa was not very good, easily the worst team we have played.
Go Bears!
stu
Interesting that in the same game two of our seniors scored career highs and our third senior came within one point of a career high.
dimitrig
oskidunker said:

Well, yeah, they lost to us.
BC Calfan
stu said:

Interesting that in the same game two of our seniors scored career highs and our third senior came within one point of a career high.

Yes interesting that the player that our coach has been "asking to do too much" didn't play and we won our first game of the season---in easy fashion. Also interesting that coach said our injuries have been the cause of our poor play but we just won our first game of the season with only one scholarship point guard---who may have had his best game ever.

It's almost like it's the coaching that's the issue, not the personnel.

This is why the in-season firing needs to happen. The Askew injury shook things up and we got an easy win. Imagine if we shook things up even more and got Fox out.
dimitrig
BC Calfan said:

stu said:

Yes interesting that the player that our coach has been "asking to do too much" didn't play and we won our first game of the season---in easy fashion. Also interesting that coach said our injuries have been the cause of our poor play but we just won our first game of the season with only one scholarship point guard---who may have had his best game ever.

This is why the in-season firing needs to happen. The Askew injury shook things up and we got an easy win. Imagine if we shook things up even more and got Fox out.

Yep. This team should be at least .500 right now given our crappy schedule. A coaching change might help the players enjoy their season again.
bearsandgiants
I bet against us. It's the only reason we won.
calumnus
BC Calfan said:

stu said:

Our offense and OL looked better after Musgrave and DeClure were fired.
SFCityBear
dimitrig said:

BC Calfan said:

stu said:

Yep. This team should be at least .500 right now given our crappy schedule. A coaching change might help the players enjoy their season again.

I haven't seen every game, but what I did see, and what all or nearly all the posts in this forums have said is that the players have played very hard in every game. So far, there is no quit in these kids. Players don't play hard for that many games, especially so many losses in a row, unless they believe in what they are trying to do. I think that the players have enjoyed playing this season, just maybe not the first few results, and it is the fans who are not enjoying the season.

I mean, Cal wins its first game of the season, without their best player, and the negative comments outnumber the positive comments on this fan forum maybe ten to one. It seems to me this forum has become a contest to see who can make the most snide comment every day. Can't you guys relax for a moment and savor the first victory for these kids? I remember a phrase that describes it best for me, "Fair weather fans".
SFCityBear
bearmanpg
SFCityBear said:

dimitrig said:

BC Calfan said:

stu said:

I haven't seen every game, but what I did see, and what all or nearly all the posts in this forums have said is that the players have played very hard in every game. So far, there is no quit in these kids. Players don't play hard for that many games, especially so many losses in a row, unless they believe in what they are trying to do. I think that the players have enjoyed playing this season, just maybe the first few results, and it is the fans who are not enjoying the season.

I mean, Cal wins its first game of the season, without their best player, and the negative comments outnumber the positive comments on this fan forum maybe ten to one. It seems to me this forum has become a contest to see who can make the most snide comment every day. Can't you guys relax for a moment and savor the first victory for these kids? I remember a phrase that describes it best for me, "Fair weather fans".
While I agree that we should be a bit more positive about a win, I strongly disagree with you about the players enjoying a 0-12 start to the season. No player I ever played with would have enjoyed a start like that and I doubt you know any either. I think you just wanted to stir it up again with that post. If you were serious you must think the players will enjoy losing another 16 or 17 games then. I don't think so.
parentswerebears
I don't believe that you can call anyone who is still here and posting after these two disastrous coaching tenures "fair weather fans". Those left during Jones's second season and gave up all hope after Fox showed what kind of coach he is. Only the most diehard fans still care.
SFCityBear
bearmanpg said:

SFCityBear said:

dimitrig said:

BC Calfan said:

stu said:

I haven't seen every game, but what I did see, and what all or nearly all the posts in this forums have said is that the players have played very hard in every game. So far, there is no quit in these kids. Players don't play hard for that many games, especially so many losses in a row, unless they believe in what they are trying to do. I think that the players have enjoyed playing this season, just maybe the first few results, and it is the fans who are not enjoying the season.

While I agree that we should be a bit more positive about a win, I strongly disagree with you about the players enjoying a 0-12 start to the season. No player I ever played with would have enjoyed a start like that and I doubt you know any either. I think you just wanted to stir it up again with that post. If you were serious you must think the players will enjoy losing another 16 or 17 games then. I don't think so.

I see your point and I can almost agree with it. I have mixed feelings about it. I've competed in single sports, like tennis and golf, where you have no one to blame except yourself, and I have played on a basketball team which lost nearly every game in one season. I hate losing more than anything, and I take it out on myself, when I or my team loses. I remember as a senior in high school, we had a terrible coach, a pedophile who knew nothing at all about basketball, and we had no plays. We had a few good players, and we thought it would be our year. We were lousy. We had fights in the locker room after some of the losses. At one point we played the best team in the city, and we were down 26-0 at halftime! I had never played or seen a basketball game where one team failed to score in a full half. We ended up losing by 26, as the other team eased up on us. After the game, one teammate came into the locker room boiling mad. We got into it, and I think I started the fight, which got bloody. He blamed the coach, and while I agreed that our coach was awful, I said we could have played better, and he thought I was saying he did not play well. Our teammates broke up the fight. 3 years ago, I went to that player's high school reunion, just so I could apologize for starting a fight with him. I didn't know if he would slug me or what. When he spotted me, he ran over and give me a big hug, I told him why I came to apologize for starting that fight, and he said he didn't remember having the fight at all.

What I should have posted was that the current Cal players don't enjoy the loss when it has happened, but something is bringing them back for the next game, with about the same attitude, the attitude to play hard. My senior team was certainly not playing hard after a number of losses. What do you think is making these Cal players play so hard night after night, even with all the losses?
SFCityBear
stu
SFCityBear said:

What I should have posted was that the current Cal players don't enjoy the loss when it has happened, but something is bringing them back for the next game, with about the same attitude, the attitude to play hard. My senior team was certainly not playing hard after a number of losses. What do you think is making these Cal players play so hard night after night, even with all the losses?
Man, it's hard to see a hanging curve like that and not snark it out of the park. But I'll resist and just say our players love the game, love Cal, and trust themselves and their teammates.
SonomanA1
dimitrig said:

oskidunker said:

Well, yeah, they lost to us.

I'll take it. I was there. We got a decisive win, and they did beat USF. I'll be there for the Utah game. Maybe we''ll surprise a few teams.
bearmanpg
stu said:

SFCityBear said:

Man, it's hard to see a hanging curve like that and not snark it out of the park. But I'll resist and just say our players love the game, love Cal, and trust themselves and their teammates.
DITTO
SFCityBear
stu said:

SFCityBear said:

That works for me. Thanks Stu.
SFCityBear
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.