Story Poster
Photo by CK Hicks / Cal Athletics
Cal Basketball

Grant Newell Named Pac-12 Freshman Of The Week

December 26, 2022

SAN FRANCISCO – California forward Grant Newell was named the Pac-12 Freshman of the Week following his performance in the Golden Bears’ win against UT Arlington on Dec. 21, the conference office announced Monday afternoon.

Newell is Cal’s first recipient of the Pac-12’s freshman of the week honor since it was introduced during the 2019-20 season.

The Chicago, Illinois native scored nine points and added three assists, two rebounds and a steal in the Bears’ convincing 73-51 victory over the visiting Mavericks. After UT Arlington pulled within six points of Cal, 25-19, late in the first half, Newell knocked down a key 3-pointer with 18 seconds remaining before halftime to send the Bears into the locker room with a 28-19 advantage.
It was the rookie’s seventh game with seven points or more and his sixth effort with three or more field goals made this season.

Newell, who is fourth among Bears with 7.5 points per game, has been thrust into a starting role this season due to numerous injuries throughout Cal’s roster. He made his 11th start in 13 games played in the win over UT Arlington and is averaging 25.2 minutes per game.

Arizona junior forward Azuolas Tubelis was named the Pac-12 Player of the Week alongside Newell.

Newell and the Bears are back in action Thursday night when they resume the remainder of their Pac-12 schedule against Utah at 7 p.m. PST in Berkeley.

Other stories:

Bears Pull in Commit From 4 Star Soph RB Jojo Solis

Wilcox Talks About New Additions to Program and Changes on Tap

Discussion from...

Grant Newell Named Pac-12 Freshman Of The Week

2,466 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by oskidunker
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Some good news for the Cal basketball team

From the first game, Grant looked like a hooper. Good shooting form, pull up jumper, length and solid athletism, hoops IQ and reasonable defense. He needs to get stronger, and get a million reps up but he's got big potential. I can imagine him as a junior/senior.

Lars, Joel's recent breakout, and Nowell are the bright spots of the season

HearstMining
HoopDreams said:

Some good news for the Cal basketball team

From the first game, Grant looked like a hooper. Good shooting form, pull up jumper, length and solid athletism, hoops IQ and reasonable defense. He needs to get stronger, and get a million reps up but he's got big potential. I can imagine him as a junior/senior.

Lars, Joel's recent breakout, and Nowell are the bright spots of the season

I haven't seen a lot of his court time. He's agile, athletic, and just moves like a player. You're right about a lot of shooting practice. I think he needs to find a couple of shots that he really believes in and then practice them until they are automatic. He could also improve his rebounding to contribute to what is a weak rebounding team. But he's way ahead of where KK was as a first-year player.
calumnus
"Newell, who is fourth among Bears with 7.5 points per game, has been thrust into a starting role this season due to numerous injuries throughout Cal's roster."

Other than maybe Celestine, our injuries are at the guard position. We have a lot of healthy forwards, Newell is starting over them because he is better than them. The injury reference seems gratuitous.
KoreAmBear
calumnus said:

"Newell, who is fourth among Bears with 7.5 points per game, has been thrust into a starting role this season due to numerous injuries throughout Cal's roster."

Other than maybe Celestine, our injuries are at the guard position. We have a lot of healthy forwards, Newell is starting over them because he is better than them. The injury reference seems gratuitous.
Injury thing is our favorite narrative.

Anyway, congrats to Grant. He has been a bright light in a horrific situation.
bearister
"He has been a bright light in a horrific situation."

….and we all know what that means…

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
oskidunker
bearister said:

"He has been a bright light in a horrific situation."

….and we all know what that means…

Tony! Come back!
Go Bears!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.