Bears vs Maroons 6 pm tipoff

8,426 Views | 120 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by mbBear
SFCityBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
calumnus said:

sonofabear51 said:

I don't know Bball very well, the changes I do see is a much more uptempo game and a lot of man to man D.
Anyone else? Comments?

Insane 3 pt shooting from guys that have no real history of being great 3 pt shooters,but very welcome!
Except for Alajiki in 2022:

He shot .500 on threes. 20 for 40.
SFCityBear
bearister
KoreAmBear said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

Econ141 said:

I'll be angry if we are not in Lunardi's "last-four-in" after this!

Last four into what?
The new Top Dog Invitational.

Us, Laney College, the winner of the RSF IM league and California College of the Arts.

KAB, you are not keeping up! California College of the Arts is now in USF's league. The final day of classes at Oakland was May 6, 2022. The whole kit and kaboodle is now located at 1111 Eighth St., San Francisco.

The college said it will redevelop the Oakland campus with community gathering spaces, affordable housing, office space for arts nonprofits and bike parking while preserving the campus's cluster of historic buildings and trees. Wikipedia

….and Holy Names College and Mills College* went tits up (if you would pardon the pun)

….but I digress.

*Mills merged into Northeastern University

Go Bears!
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
SFCityBear
What a difference one player can make. Clayton scores 26, along with 6 assists. As Fox said, he can get separation and get his shot, anytime he wants. He makes everyone better. He has improved game by game, and this is only his 3rd game. I've been waiting since before the season for this guy to show his stuff.
SFCityBear
bearister
SFCityBear said:

What a difference one player can make. Clayton scores 26, along with 6 assists. As Fox said, he can get separation and get his shot, anytime he wants. He had six assists. He makes everyone better. He has improved game by game, and this is only his 3rd game. I've been waiting since before the season for this guy to show his stuff.

…and a team full of players used to standing around and watching others do the shooting figured out that they can score too.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
KenBurnski
Hell yeah! Suck it, Furd. Congrats to the team!
Big C

Back from the Haas...

Happy, of course, but almost stunned more than anything, at the difference between tonight (plus the first 30 min. vs. Colorado) and the earlier games this season. What happened?!?

Part of it is Clayton, but also, it seems like the Bears (including the staff) just decided, hey, we have nothing to lose at this point, let's just go out, have fun and play ball.

Not sure I've ever seen anything like it.
KoreAmBear
Big C said:

Back from the Haas...

Happy, of course, but almost stunned more than anything, at the difference between tonight (plus the first 30 min. vs. Colorado) and the earlier games this season. What happened?!?

Part of it is Clayton, but also, it seems like the Bears (including the staff) just decided, hey, we have nothing to lose at this point, let's just go out, have fun and play ball.

Yah the slow down half-court game starting the offense with 10 seconds left in the clock, is not really a good thing. Just makes you take some desperation shots with 2 seconds left. Turns out Fox finally realized that 13 games into the season. I hope Askew gets to have some fun too.
oskidunker
Replay?
Go Bears!
MoragaBear
Staff
Their ball movement and sets are so much better. Part of it is the perimeter threat that Clayton presents, which gives the others more room from deep and also opens up the inside by spreading out the defense more. And they're pushing the action and not using too much clock and taking shots out of rhythm to beat the clock.
KoreAmBear
bearister said:

KoreAmBear said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

Econ141 said:

Last four into what?

Us, Laney College, the winner of the RSF IM league and California College of the Arts.

KAB, you are not keeping up! California College of the Arts is now in USF's league. The final day of classes at Oakland was May 6, 2022. The whole kit and kaboodle is now located at 1111 Eighth St., San Francisco.

The college said it will redevelop the Oakland campus with community gathering spaces, affordable housing, office space for arts nonprofits and bike parking while preserving the campus's cluster of historic buildings and trees. Wikipedia

….and Holy Names College and Mills College* went tits up (if you would pardon the pun)

….but I digress.

*Merged into Northeastern University

Go Bears!
What Holy Names and Mills are now Northeastern University west?
BearSD
KoreAmBear said:

bearister said:

KoreAmBear said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

Econ141 said:

Last four into what?

….but I digress.

Go Bears!
https://oakland.northeastern.edu/
Quote:

Mills College has merged with Northeastern University to form the nation's first bicoastal university for undergraduate and graduate education and research.
barsad
In an earlier forum I said Dejuan was not the answer to all of our problems, but I'm so glad he proved me wrong at least for one night. The team was superb and I hope they bring that kind of effort every game.
But I think we have to look for what's going to happen in a "regular" game. Cal is not going to go 16-22 (73%) from 3 again this season, and even shooting 60% FG seems a stretch against a real defense.
I hope the staff takes what worked against the Furd and gets creative against the better teams. Go Bears!
Big C
socaltownie said:

Happy for the kids. Massively depressed for program and mark fox extension

Are you saying that, looking at the bigger picture, we are still in the doldrums? Or are you saying that this win is actually bad because now Knowlton is more likely to keep Fox?

If it's the former, I agree. If it's the latter, I would urge you to just let things play out and to find a little joy along the way. Tonight was good.
HoopDreams
has cal EVER hit 16 threes?

if they have it certainly wasn't on 73% shooting

thats gotta be a Cal record

and it wasn't even just hitting 3s. every one joined the party

one example, Roberson with a steal and 3 assists!
SFCityBear
HoopDreams said:

The radio announcer said Cal had tied the team record for threes in a game with 16.
SFCityBear
calumnus
HoopDreams said:

We had a total of 65 over the prior 15 games (a little more than 4 per game), number 361 in the country.
calumnus
SFCityBear said:

calumnus said:

sonofabear51 said:

I don't know Bball very well, the changes I do see is a much more uptempo game and a lot of man to man D.
Anyone else? Comments?

Insane 3 pt shooting from guys that have no real history of being great 3 pt shooters,but very welcome!

Yes, I thought he should shoot more and Kuany was 5 of 14 as a freshman which seemed promising at the time.

Definitely an amazing night!
stu
bearister said:

... California College of the Arts is now in USF's league. The final day of classes at Oakland was May 6, 2022. The whole kit and kaboodle is now located at 1111 Eighth St., San Francisco.
All because they changed the name from California College of Arts and Crafts.

Knowlton, take note! Don't mess with tradition.
KoreAmBear
BearSD said:

KoreAmBear said:

bearister said:

KoreAmBear said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

Econ141 said:

Last four into what?

….but I digress.

Go Bears!
Quote:

Mills College has merged with Northeastern University to form the nation's first bicoastal university for undergraduate and graduate education and research.

Very interesting. I always thought Northeastern had to think out of the box (and they are very good with their work experience programs) having to compete against so many schools in the Boston area.
Big C
SFCityBear said:

calumnus said:

sonofabear51 said:

Anyone else? Comments?

Alajiki started off his freshman season on fire from beyond the arc, but I bet if you zeroed in on his percentage from February 2022, though yesterday, it would be at about 25%. And that's close to 25 games.

But he was on fire again tonight! Throughout his long cold streak, it seemed that his form was a little off, not squared up to the basket and sort of "elbowing the ball", if that makes sense. His jumper looked nice this evening though! Hope he keeps it up! It was a real coming-out party in Haas this evening, for some of those guys.
HearstMining
KoreAmBear said:

Big C said:

Back from the Haas...

Yah the slow down half-court game starting the offense with 10 seconds left in the clock, is not really a good thing. Just makes you take some desperation shots with 2 seconds left. Turns out Fox finally realized that 13 games into the season. I hope Askew gets to have some fun too.
Just finished watching the game on DVR and, aside from Cal playing great, I also noticed that players took the first good shot they had rather than burn 20 seconds and then get aggressive. I'm convinced that a team (or at least this team) can't be non-aggressive for most of a possession and then suddenly turn it on - at least not for an entire game. Win or lose (and they certainly won't hit 72% of their threes routinely), I think Cal should continue to play at this pace. For one thing, it takes advantage of Clayton's skills.
MoragaBear
Staff
HateRed said:

There's nobody there!! What a joke!!!!!
The attendance was 3,648. Butts in the seats at the game looked fairly close to that, too.
southseasbear
KoreAmBear said:

BearSD said:

KoreAmBear said:

bearister said:

KoreAmBear said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

Econ141 said:

Last four into what?

….but I digress.

Go Bears!
Quote:

Very interesting. I always thought Northeastern had to think out of the box (and they are very good with their work experience programs) having to compete against so many schools in the Boston area.
Mills would have been a good acquisition for Cal, due to proximity and architectural similarity (Julia Moran). It would have been a no brainer that would have provided additional housing and athletic/recreational facilities. Someone dropped the ball.

Holy Names is not as good of a fit, but Cal needs the land and facilities. Is someone looking into purchasing the property?
Fire Knowlton!
Fire Fox!
Put Wilcox in a hot seat!
southseasbear
SFCityBear said:

HoopDreams said:

The radio announcer said Cal had tied the team record for threes in a game with 16.
They said that on TV too. I was hoping for one more 3 in the last few minutes to break the record.
Fire Knowlton!
Fire Fox!
Put Wilcox in a hot seat!
BeachedBear
calumnus said:

KoreAmBear said:

Furd has all these 4 stars? Man Haase is terrible.

Haase is terrible. I was surprised they brought him back this year.
Au contraire. He's a Stanfurd Gem like Johnny Dawkins. I hope they keep him at the farm a long, long time.
CaliforniaEternal
That was an awesome game. I hadn't been to a game in 3 years and my 7 and 4 year olds wanted to go. The tickets were so cheap, the fees were almost more than the tickets. I pulled up and found a spot right on Bancroft across from the RSF. That alone made it worthwhile with young kids. On the way in, we grabbed a bunch of concessions and they were surprisingly good. The pretzel was warm and soft and the popcorn in the Cal container is great too. The new scoreboards look great, although it would be nice if they had the player names along with the numbers. It's great to sit down low too,

The game was a double bonus. The Bears were in control the whole game and just shooting lights out. Clayton was unstoppable and it was fun to watch that kind of offensive performance. Furd wasn't prepared to play perimeter defense which was great.

It felt like there were maybe 2k fans. It looked really empty. Seeing all the non-students in the student section and everyone sitting there was kind of sad. It's a far cry from the glory days but for the people there, but for the few people there, a great win against furd was something to appreciate.
HoopDreams
anyone note this funny scene?

the ref spent literally 2-3 minutes tieing 2K's shoe laces. very strange, and not sure why Kuany didn't tie his own shoe laces. it reminded me of a father tieing the shoes of his son, only this son was 6-9

Kuany strikes me as a really positive and nice guy as he was smiling and laughing the entire time

after it was over the ref got a big cheer

Mikeman
HoopDreams said:

the ref spent literally 2-3 minutes tieing 2K's shoe laces. very strange, and not sure why Kuany didn't tie his own shoe laces. it reminded me of a father tieing the shoes of his son, only this son was 6-9

Kuany strikes me as a really positive and nice guy as he was smiling and laughing the entire time

Believe there was the Gordian knot in the shoe lace.
HoopDreams
a better photo from the web

Mikeman said:

HoopDreams said:

Believe there was the Gordian knot in the shoe lace.

drizzlybear
I figured it was a knot that the ref thought he could undo more easily. Didn't seem to work.
Big C

^^^ i thought i even detected a bit of a smile on the face of our dour fox during the shoe-tying ^^^
MoragaBear
Staff
Classic Fox with his hands on his hips in that photo. That shoelace thing took forever to work out.

There weren't many students because very few are on campus right now. Class doesn't start till the 17th. But the decent crowd shows pretty clearly in the photos.
oskidunker
No trumpets in the band. Why not schedule the ski trip when there is no home game, like next week. The puzzle goes on…
Go Bears!
HoopDreams
yeah, i hate home games during christmas break without the students. The RSF was a morgue.

this game would have been well attended by the students who might have seen how much fun it can be like the Big Game, and increased attendance for rest of season

MoragaBear said:

Classic Fox with his hands on his hips in that photo. That shoelace thing took forever to work out.

There weren't many students because very few are on campus right now. Class doesn't start till the 17th. But the decent crowd shows pretty clearly in the photos.
HearstMining
MoragaBear said:

Which begs the question: why would the Pac12 schedule a rivalry game when the home school wasn't in session? If I were the Pac12, I'd be doing everything I could to maximize student interest and attendance for all the schools.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.