Bears vs Maroons 6 pm tipoff

8,502 Views | 120 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by mbBear
MoragaBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Last year the game was in Feb and they had a DJ the students knew and despite the lousy season, the student sections on the sideline and behind the south basket were jam-packed. So fun to see.
SFCityBear
HoopDreams said:

anyone note this funny scene?

the ref spent literally 2-3 minutes tieing 2K's shoe laces. very strange, and not sure why Kuany didn't tie his own shoe laces. it reminded me of a father tieing the shoes of his son, only this son was 6-9

Kuany strikes me as a really positive and nice guy as he was smiling and laughing the entire time

after it was over the ref got a big cheer

When the ref washes a Cal player's feet, that will be a wake up call.
SFCityBear
BeachedBear
HearstMining said:

MoragaBear said:

Classic Fox with his hands on his hips in that photo. That shoelace thing took forever to work out.

There weren't many students because very few are on campus right now. Class doesn't start till the 17th. But the decent crowd shows pretty clearly in the photos.
Which begs the question: why would the Pac12 schedule a rivalry game when the home school wasn't in session? BECAUSE ITS ALL ABOUT TV SCHEDULES If I were the Pac12, I'd be doing everything I could to maximize student interest and attendance for all the schools. As long as it doesn't conflict with TV SCHEDULES
begged answers in bold. The Pac12, Cal AD and facilities management consider people in attendance (in particular students in subsidized seats) to be a major nuisance. They all put in extra effort to ensure a poor fan experience. They are considered a studio audience at best. Ideally there would be the 50 screaming fans to pose for the camera during timeouts and that's about it. Been this way for a long time -its just that it took fans decades to realize it. I used to think it was incompetence, but I've had many conversations over the years with all of those and they have made it clear that we are not wanted.

Even though Cal may be horrible this year, the poor attendance says just as much about the Stanford fan base as well.
drizzlybear
HearstMining said:

MoragaBear said:

Classic Fox with his hands on his hips in that photo. That shoelace thing took forever to work out.

There weren't many students because very few are on campus right now. Class doesn't start till the 17th. But the decent crowd shows pretty clearly in the photos.
Which begs the question: why would the Pac12 schedule a rivalry game when the home school wasn't in session? If I were the Pac12, I'd be doing everything I could to maximize student interest and attendance for all the schools.

Agreed. I'm sure the task of scheduling a season comes with innumerable challenges, but that seems like a pretty critical consideration (home game for rivalry game during term break). Then again, who knows, on another date maybe the game doesn't play out the way it did.

Did the Axe get displayed? I didn't notice on the tv broadcast.
MoragaBear
Staff
drizzlybear said:

HearstMining said:

MoragaBear said:

Which begs the question: why would the Pac12 schedule a rivalry game when the home school wasn't in session? If I were the Pac12, I'd be doing everything I could to maximize student interest and attendance for all the schools.

Agreed. I'm sure the task of scheduling a season comes with innumerable challenges, but that seems like a pretty critical consideration (home game for rivalry game during term break). Then again, who knows, on another date maybe the game doesn't play out the way it did.

Did the Axe get displayed? I didn't notice on the tv broadcast.
Unfortunately, no. Real missed opportunity.
Chabbear
Of course all of the New Years weekend games were played while the students were home too. Now in 2024-25, if we are in a Pac 10 conference, we could go to a 18 schedule, kill the conference tournament and start without December and early January games all together.
stu
Paraphrasing Abba Eban: Knowlton has never missed an opportunity to miss an opportunity.
calumnus
Chabbear said:

Of course all of the New Years weekend games were played while the students were home too. Now in 2024-25, if we are in a Pac 10 conference, we could go to a 18 schedule, kill the conference tournament and start without December and early January games all together.

I think we still want the earliest practice time and most OOC games permitted. However the time during school breaks should be for travel and neutral site tournaments.
calumnus
stu said:

Paraphrasing Abba Eban: Knowlton has never missed an opportunity to miss an opportunity.

He makes $1.3 million a year with a lot of perks and a guaranteed contract. You expect at least the minimal competence of a low paid high school administrator.
bearister
stu said:

Is Abba Eban related to eden ahbez?

I discovered him when I researched "the first hippie" many years ago. It turned out he wrote a song the Nat King Cole had a hit with, and when I was in law school, George Benson had a hit covering it.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
UrsineMaximus
MoragaBear said:

"Classic Fox with his hands on his hips in that photo." So true, too true...gawd that man needs to go!!
oskidunker
UrsineMaximus said:

MoragaBear said:

"Classic Fox with his hands on his hips in that photo." So true, too true...gawd that man needs to go!!
Why? He just beat Stanford by double digits. Just kidding. But what do you do if he runs the table?
Go Bears!
UrsineMaximus
oskidunker said:

UrsineMaximus said:

MoragaBear said:

Why? He just beat Stanford by double digits. Just kidding. But what do you do if he runs the table?
Fire him and let the door hit his arse on the way out. Not kidding.
BearSD
HearstMining said:

The answer is probably that the conference members rarely if ever ask the conference to schedule home basketball games only when students are on campus.

Also that the schedule makers are focused primarily on giving TV what they want in the schedule.
Chapman_is_Gone
I see they're still wearing the feminine "Golden Bears" script across the chest. SMH.
mbBear
oskidunker said:

UrsineMaximus said:

MoragaBear said:

Chase down the pigs flying out of his ass at that point...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.