Can we start the season over?

1,531 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Big C
graguna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If the season had started 2 weeks ago, I'd be pretty excited about CAL basketball right now.
Based on the last few games my takes would be;

Clayton is a great replacement for Shephard
Brown is a solid point guard
Fox recruited 2 solid freshman in Newell and Okafor - both who are strong and improving quickly.
The team chemistry is good and they share the ball well.
CAL plays fast paced taking advantage of their depth and ability to play 9-10 players,
When Askew gets back to ad more back court depth we'll be even better.
CAL could end up anywhere from 5th to 10th in the PAC 12; winning 6-10 Pac 12 games

We cant start over but wouldn't it be cool if CAL engineered the most drastic turnaround in NCAA history? Not likely but as Jorge said - "I don't need easy, I just need possible"

ncbears
No - because Knowlton would give Fox a lifetime contract.
bearsandgiants
Don't have to start over, just have to do well enough in league to not have to win the conference tournament with 4 straight wins, which would be impossible.
calumnus
Just enjoy trashing the RPIs of the rest of the PAC-12.

We just knocked Stanford off of whatever bubble hopes they had and got Haase fired.

Schadenfurd!
bearister
The 0-12 start makes me appreciate the recent turn around even more. It is quite remarkable. I attribute it to two factors:

1. Askew missing games allowed several players that had previously stood around and watched Askew shoot came to the realization that they too had the skills to score; and

2. DeJuan Clayton was a major injection of adrenaline directly into the Bears' heart.

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
CALiforniALUM
bearister said:

Askew missing games allowed several players that had previously stood around and watched Askew shoot came to the realization that they too had the skills to score;

We've seen this with other coaches at Cal. Give the green light to one player and everybody else goes to sleep. I hate the idea that coaching to a single player is the best course. That play will be shut down at some point and then you are dead.

I would really be disappointed if Fox was running everything through Askew when he is healthy.

I'd be even more disappointed if the players deferred their aggressiveness to another player.

oskidunker
I suspect Askew will be out a while longer.
Go Bears!
bearister
" I'd be even more disappointed if the players deferred their aggressiveness to another player."

Regardless of what Fox wants, the train has pulled out of the station on that scenario and it ain't coming back.
Fox has had it spelled out to him in dramatic fashion what works. He ain't turning back either.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
calumnus
bearister said:

" I'd be even more disappointed if the players deferred their aggressiveness to another player."

Regardless of what Fox wants, the train has pulled out of the station on that scenario and it ain't coming back.
Fox has had it spelled out to him in dramatic fashion what works. He ain't turning back either.

I kind of wish this all happened after firing Fox after the nation leading (and Cal record) losing start to the season. I even sort of suspect he finally surrendered and this is an assistant coach's doing.
HoopDreams
oskidunker said:

I suspect Askew will be out a while longer.
after the players finished their shoot around, Askew went from shaging balls to them to shooting 3s from the top of the key, but he was shooting on one foot (injury is obviously to his left)

so it depends on his injury.

If it's an ankle, he will be back soon, as he can walk normally

if it's a foot, it's much more complicated and he could be out for a while

Celestine is also waiting in the wings Not sure he will return this season, but both Celestine and Askew are visibly involved with the team and the games
upsetof86
bearister said:

I hope so, and agree seems so.
Big C

I would love to see the Bears get another shot at the UC San Diegos of the world, although I am loathe to be branded as "pro-Fox" by people out there (I am not; I am pro-Cal.)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.