Arizona losing to Washington State

1,228 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by bearister
UrsusTexicanus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wazzoo, (1-4 Pac12, 6-10 overall) up 59-44 at McKale over #5 Mildcats. Less than 8 minutes to go.
calumnus
UrsusTexicanus said:

Wazzoo, (1-4 Pac12, 6-10 overall) up 59-44 at McKale over #5 Mildcats. Less than 8 minutes to go.

WSU had a lot of roster turnover, but Smith is a good coach.
HoopDreams
calumnus said:

UrsusTexicanus said:

They also have the best rim protector in the conference

Their international recruiting is super charged
oskidunker
Lars should have an interesting game.
Go Bears!
calumnus
HoopDreams said:

calumnus said:

UrsusTexicanus said:

Well, international players are naturally attracted to eastern Washington. It is such a recruiting advantage over the Bay Area. Plus, the NIL all those Pullman business owners and guys with WSU degrees are able to throw at the players? How can we compete?
Econ141
calumnus said:

HoopDreams said:

calumnus said:

UrsusTexicanus said:

Well, international players are naturally attracted to eastern Washington. It is such a recruiting advantage over the Bay Area. Plus, the NIL all those Pullman business owners and guys with WSU degrees are able to throw at the players? How can we compete?

We are at a tremendous disadvantage here in the Bay Area. You need exceptional coaches and a supportive admin to really lure players here.
Alkiadt
HoopDreams said:

calumnus said:

UrsusTexicanus said:

Good win, and he is a good coach, but nothing special.
Overall a winner, but never won any league titles. His highest finish has been 3rd place in the Ivy League. He's never taken any team to the NCAA tourney. One of his better players, Noah Williams (a WSU basketball legacy) transferred to UW this year.
That would be like a Cal player who's dad was an all league player at Cal transferring to Stanford.
WSU is currently 7-10 overall, and 2-4 in league, technically behind Cal in the standings. That obviously could change, but c'mon.
UrsusTexicanus
Another upset alert, Oregon (2-2 Pac12, 8-7 overall), up by 5 over Utah, (5-0 Pac12, 12-4 overall), 2 minutes left in the game.
drizzlybear
HoopDreams said:

calumnus said:

UrsusTexicanus said:

Jabe Mullins has also been a strong addition. He got buried behind a veteran roster at St. Mary's and now he's playing well for WSU (second-leading scorer today vs Arizona). I've got a soft spot for Mullins because he had some great battles against my boys in high school (two years younger than my older and two years older than my younger). Side trivia, my older also played all his life against Matt Cindric and in a San Diego tournament his senior year against Will Craig.
calumnus
Alkiadt said:

HoopDreams said:

calumnus said:

UrsusTexicanus said:

Good win, and he is a good coach, but nothing special.
Overall a winner, but never won any league titles. His highest finish has been 3rd place in the Ivy League. He's never taken any team to the NCAA tourney. One of his better players, Noah Williams (a WSU basketball legacy) transferred to UW this year.
That would be like a Cal player who's dad was an all league player at Cal transferring to Stanford.
WSU is currently 7-10 overall, and 2-4 in league, technically behind Cal in the standings. That obviously could change, but c'mon.

It is a mater of context. Look at Columbia before he arrived (and after). Look at USF before he arrived. Look at WSU before he arrived. He turns around programs that are at the bottom. He makes something out of nothing. I am a fan of Nerdball.

Agree that is a different skill than taking a program in a relatively good situation (Cal) and making them great. We are not Columbia, USF or WSU, we have proven we can attract top ranked players with the right coach. That should be our goal. Dennis Gates is the coach I wish we had hired, not Kyle Smith.
stu
At this point we may need a coach who turns around programs that are at the bottom.

BTW where did Mark Fox rank on the list of coaches you wish we had hired?
WalterSobchak
calumnus said:

Dennis Gates is the coach I wish we had hired
This cannot be said often or loud enough.
bearister
The Cougs covered the spread by 31.5 points.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
calumnus
stu said:

At this point we may need a coach who turns around programs that are at the bottom.

BTW where did Mark Fox rank on the list of coaches you wish we had hired?

When Cal blew out his Georgia team and he was petulant on the court and in the postgame, throwing his players under the bus, I thought "wow, I am sure glad that jerk is not our coach."
drizzlybear
bearister said:

I think Cal did similar vs furd?
bearister
drizzlybear said:

bearister said:

I think Cal did similar vs furd?

As Gary Radnich used to say, "Good knowledge." Your California Golden Bears covered the spread in the Furd game by 31 points.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.