Bears a 8.5 dog to Huck the Fuskies

5,875 Views | 103 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by calumnus
stu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We wasted a great game by Newell. If Celestine is healthy next year those two could be a nice pair of wings.
bearister
stu said:

We wasted a great game by Newell. If Celestine is healthy next year those two could be a nice pair of wings.

Yeah, right. More likely…

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
KoreAmBear
Joel had some pretty amazing takes to the basket with time running out in OT. I wish he would do that all game, because I think he can. And he made his free throws. It just shows me it's mentality for him.
stu
IMHO better things happen when Brown heads for the hoop than when we pass around the perimeter.
stu
I just remembered this - did anyone else notice the list of Cal injuries on the broadcast right before the game started? Would that be normal or was it a preemptive strike by our excuse machine?
Big C
bearister said:

Name of color announcer? He makes my list of favorites.

So who was the color guy? Apparently, somebody who played at UW during our Campanelli Era, right before Billy Dreher came to Cal.

Too bad we blew this one today...
KoreAmBear
stu said:

I just remembered this - did anyone else notice the list of Cal injuries on the broadcast right before the game started? Would that be normal or was it a preemptive strike by our excuse machine?
Not only normal, but something pushed on the media by our SID probably through our guy. If you missed the height of this was the huge display of number 42 (or was it 46) on our jumbotron, for the amount of games missed due to injury. It's such a sad way to deflect blame.
Bear8995
Big C said:

bearister said:

So who was the color guy? Apparently, somebody who played at UW during our Campanelli Era, right before Billy Dreher came to Cal.

Eldridge Recasner
sonofabear51
Former fuskie I think.
Start Slowly and taper off
bearister
Bear8995 said:

Big C said:

bearister said:

Eldridge Recasner

Thanks. It took him 5 years after college to break into the NBA.

Eldridge Recasner - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eldridge_Recasner

He had great knowledge and a fabulous sense of humor. Three comments that come to mind that I giggled at:

When Newell dunked instead of simply banking it in:

"Newell finished that like a grown man. No layup for him."

When Lars dunked, I think on a fast break, he said:

"There is no feeling better than dunking on a guy. When I did that in high school, I was pretty much good for the rest of the game."

…and about All Time PAC 12 Leading Scorer, Don MacLean:

"Don never met a shot he didn't like." Yes, a cliche, but perfect for MacLean.

His reflections brought back memories of why we all loved playing and watching basketball so much growing up (other than the dunk part, unless it was a volleyball)

PAC 12 needs more Eldridge Recasner immediately.

HearstMining
bearister said:

I am enjoying the color announcer. He is funny.
Eldridge Recasner. I also like his commentary - a good combination of humor, astuteness (points out good shots taken even if they're missed), with a touch of that urban edge. He and Roxy had an exchange about Lionel Hollins that was hilarious. I lived in the Seattle area when Recasner played for the Huskies - '87-'90 and I remember him as a tough, very-good-but-not-great player. Per Wikipedia, he did play several NBA seasons but only after spending five years in various pro leagues around the world.
BC Calfan
He even pulled out a "Yakkem!!"
Bearprof
I laughed when Recasner said that he thought that Fox was hitting the bottle during the losing streak.

After yesterday's game Fox should probably head back to that bar. What a terrible disappointment.
oskidunker
Bearprof said:

I laughed when Recasner said that he thought that Fox was hitting the bottle during the losing streak.

After yesterday's game Fox should probably head back to that bar. What a terrible disappointment.
Not his fault. Brown,Kuaney and Alijike all choked at the free throw line.
Go Bears!
HoopDreams
oskidunker said:

Bearprof said:

Brown was 0-3 earlier in the game, but clutch at the end of the game going 3-0
drizzlybear
bearister said:

stu said:

barsad said:

Should have had a reset shot clock on that play, Fox didn't even notice or argue.
Fox should have argued and he should have made sure his players were aware of the short clock.

Wouldn't Fox have to be aware of it to so advise?

The entire bench (coaches AND players) were yelling at the players going onto the court that there were only 3 seconds left. Don't know if you couldn't see that on tv, but I was there and everyone was yelling it and holding up three fingers.
drizzlybear
bearister said:

I heard it was Eldridge Recasner, who is a hoot.

Edit: oops, I see that others answered this already.
bearister
I was being sarcastic and bashing Fox but my effort missed the target.

Your error about the color commentator is one I make all the time. It isn't safe to post in a thread unless you read every comment……which is a major drag when the thread is long.
Big C
drizzlybear said:

bearister said:

stu said:

barsad said:

Should have had a reset shot clock on that play, Fox didn't even notice or argue.
Fox should have argued and he should have made sure his players were aware of the short clock.

The entire bench (coaches AND players) were yelling at the players going onto the court that there were only 3 seconds left. Don't know if you couldn't see that on tv, but I was there and everyone was yelling it and holding up three fingers.

It was likely a language/culture issue: The word for "a dozen" in German sounds very much like "three". In German basketball, holding up three fingers means to pass the ball three times before shooting.

Now, did I just make that up? Well sure, but maybe it's true!
stu
Big C said:

It was likely a language/culture issue: The word for "a dozen" in German sounds very much like "three". In German basketball, holding up three fingers means to pass the ball three times before shooting.

Quatsch!
HoopDreams
danke schon

Lars said his favorite moment while at Cal was the Euro tour in Germany

(Germany is my fav Euro country to visit)

Big C said:

drizzlybear said:

bearister said:

stu said:

barsad said:

calumnus
stu said:

When asked about Newell's great game and double-double, Fox replied:

"Grant is really going to be a terrific player. He feels bad about the basket he gave up at the end, but we're asking a lot of Grant. He had a pretty good night and I think his better days are in front of him."
calumnus
oskidunker said:

Bearprof said:

That is exactly the way Fox saw it too:

"It was a very disappointing loss. We had every opportunity to win the game in regulation and we just didn't finish plays, we didn't make free throws. When you have those opportunities, you have to seize them. We missed two free-throws on a two-shot attempt. We missed the front end of a 1-and-1 and then our defense in the second half and overtime was not adequate."
HoopDreams
facts

but if I'm coach i don't say that

calumnus said:

oskidunker said:

Bearprof said:

"It was a very disappointing loss. We had every opportunity to win the game in regulation and we just didn't finish plays, we didn't make free throws. When you have those opportunities, you have to seize them. We missed two free-throws on a two-shot attempt. We missed the front end of a 1-and-1 and then our defense in the second half and overtime was not adequate."
calumnus
HoopDreams said:

facts

calumnus said:

oskidunker said:

Bearprof said:

Yeah, that is a pretty basic rule: don't throw your players under the bus.

It is not like they weren't trying and have to "try harder" to make free throws. Anybody who has played even rec league knows it doesn't work like that. They already feel bad enough as it is. You want to build on the positive momentum and positive feelings the players had going into the road trip.
KoreAmBear
calumnus said:

HoopDreams said:

facts

calumnus said:

oskidunker said:

Bearprof said:

It is not like they weren't trying and have to "try harder" to make free throws. Anybody who has played even rec league knows it doesn't work like that. They already feel bad enough as it is. You want to build on the positive momentum and positive feelings the players had going into the road trip.
Right, and if he is going to go over some specifics down the stretch, he conveniently didn't mention how he didn't communicate properly that we only had 3 seconds on the clock for a pivotal possession and didn't call a TO to draw up a play to win in regulation. Oh and not to mention going slowdown with 10 minutes left in the game. Those were huge factors for this loss as well. This guy just never gets any better for me.
calumnus
KoreAmBear said:

calumnus said:

HoopDreams said:

facts

calumnus said:

oskidunker said:

Bearprof said:

Right, and if he is going to go over some specifics down the stretch, he conveniently didn't mention how he didn't communicate properly that we only had 3 seconds on the clock for a pivotal possession and didn't call a TO to draw up a play to win in regulation. Oh and not to mention going slowdown with 10 minutes left in the game. Those were huge factors for this loss as well. This guy just never gets any better for me.

Exactly. He is just not a good coach, but his ego requires that he blame the players (that he recruited) or maybe he'd feel bad about the $2 million a year he is raking in.
BC Calfan
calumnus said:

stu said:

"Grant is really going to be a terrific player. He feels bad about the basket he gave up at the end, but we're asking a lot of Grant. He had a pretty good night and I think his better days are in front of him."
I'm probably guilty of overanalyzing coachspeak here, but this quote irks me.

First of all, Grant had an awesome game. He single-handedly busted the zone with his cutting and midrange buckets, had offensive putbacks, ferocious dunks and a couple threes. What an offensive performance. Best player on the floor. And it sounds like Fox is giving backhanded compliments: "going to be a terrific player", "gave up a basket at the end", "better days are in front of him". Dude is so negative all the time.

Second, what exactly does he mean "we're asking a lot of Grant"? He has said this repeatedly about Askew as well. He isn't really giving context. Is he delivering on what's being asked of him or not?
HoopDreams
he's saying we are thin due to injuries so he's asking him to do more than should be expected of a player

same excuse recycled for a different player

I'm concerned about Okafor. A little raw but you can see the talent. but I'm seeing hints of issues between him and Fox

maybe nothing but there has been bad body language, strange PT patterns for him (like not playing when Lars fouled out, or earlier in the second half), and the Fox post game comment that sounded eerily familiar

BC Calfan said:

calumnus said:

stu said:

First of all, Grant had an awesome game. He single-handedly busted the zone with his cutting and midrange buckets, had offensive putbacks, ferocious dunks and a couple threes. What an offensive performance. Best player on the floor. And it sounds like Fox is giving backhanded compliments: "going to be a terrific player", "gave up a basket at the end", "better days are in front of him". Dude is so negative all the time.

Second, what exactly does he mean "we're asking a lot of Grant"? He has said this repeatedly about Askew as well. He isn't really giving context. Is he delivering on what's being asked of him or not?
calumnus
BC Calfan said:

calumnus said:

stu said:

I agree, that is why I posted it. On the spectrum of things he could have said, probably the most negative statement you could make about Grant after that game. Way to build up your players coach.
stu
Well, I'm not asking a lot of Knowlton. Just one thing. All I'm asking is he make the decision to change coaches. After that I'd be happy if he left the hiring process to others.
KoreAmBear
stu said:

Well, I'm not asking a lot of Knowlton. Just one thing. All I'm asking is he make the decision to change coaches. After that I'd be happy if he left the hiring process to others.
I'm still holding out the hope that the Women's swimming program investigation brings some stuff to light about Knowlton where he has to go. I don't want him hiring the next head coach.
stu
Yep. Has that 6 month timeline changed to 6 years?
calumnus
stu said:

Yep. Has that 6 month timeline changed to 6 years?

6 months already seemed at least twice as long as needed to interview the witnesses, the accusers and the accused, review emails and other documents and write the report.

It appears that both the law firm and the client have an incentive to stretch this out indefinitely. Knowlton is probably hoping people just forget about it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.