Future Coach vs UAB Game Thread

5,921 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by ducky23
sonofabear51
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Utah Valley's president is quite something. Astrid S. Tuminez
Start Slowly and taper off
GoCal80
Utah Valley has a plan on offense. What a concept!
socaltownie
Can we get their center? That would be a start. It is fun to watch someone who doesn't have Lars hands of stone
annarborbear
Hey, maybe Monty does know something about coaching and coaching talent.
dimitrig

Did Madsen implement the triangle offense?

I read that while the offense isn't that efficient the ratio of assists to field goals is very high which sounds like a lot of ball movement which could indicate the triangle.

Intuit
socaltownie said:

Can we get their center? That would be a start. It is fun to watch someone who doesn't have Lars hands of stone
If Bandaogo can't transfer and join MM at Cal perhaps MM should ask Jerome Randle to identify and recruit an alternative from the NBA Africa League.

nba africa league.
eastcoastcal
great charge take!
graguna
great game. love the opportunity to watch our future coach and surprisingly care about a college basketball game in march
eastcoastcal
free basketball!
drizzlybear
dimitrig said:

Did Madsen implement the triangle offense?

I read that while the offense isn't that efficient the ratio of assists to field goals is very high which sounds like a lot of ball movement which could indicate the triangle.

In one of the videos (I think it was the promotional one about him joining the Lakers staff) he said he likes the triangle offense. So I'm assuming that's part of his base bag.
stu
UVU has looked gassed for the last 10 minutes but still hanging on. UAB much more aggressive now.
WalterSobchak
tequila4kapp said:

eastcoastcal said:

Alkiadt said:

annarborbear said:

eastcoastcal said:

commentators saying Aziz Bandaogo is an NBA type prospect

Flew all the way to Senegal to get him. No worries about a Monty recruiting repeat.

He averages 11 pts, 10 rebounds and 3 blocks a game.
I doubt he is transferable as he started at Akron and transferred once already.
But any team could use his stats.
With the waiver being heavily utilized as a 2nd transfer opportunity, maybe he can come up with some reason why he needs to come to California?
Do players get a free transfer when coaches leave?
NCAA announces new waiver guidelines for multi-time transfers

Short answer: No, but workarounds are possible.
Please give to Cal Legends at https://calegends.com/donation/ and encourage everyone you know who loves Cal sports to do it too.

To be in the Top 1% of all NIL collectives we only need around 3% of alumni to give $100/mo. OR 6% to give $50/mo. Please help spread the word. "If we don't broaden this base we're dead." - Sebastabear
Intuit
stu said:

UVU has looked gassed for the last 10 minutes but still hanging on. UAB much more aggressive now.
onward into OT both sides fighting hard.
annarborbear
Any chance this entire team could transfer to Cal?
annarborbear
Good outcome for us. Confirms that Madsen is an exceptional coach. Now get the contract signed quickly.
UrsineMaximus
Both teams were prepared and well coached, very entertaining game. I watched Madsen throughout the entire game. He encourages his players and was patient during the poor start to the game. His sideline demeanor is so much better than our previous coach!!
ducky23
Really like his offense. NBA style offense (not surprising considering his background). Good spacing. Plays bigs outside so inside isn't clogged. Lot of drives and either layups or kick out for threes. Saw a lot of horn sets, high PnR, even a little triangle (ofc!)

Love the pace and how they push on every stop. Lot of transition threes. Very high energy. Night and day difference from the 1980s offense we've been running.
stu
UVU a couple of threes from a win. As others have said, a much better look than we're accustomed to.
tequila4kapp
ducky23 said:

Really like his offense. NBA style offense (not surprising considering his background). Good spacing. Plays bigs outside so inside isn't clogged. Lot of drives and either layups or kick out for threes. Saw a lot of horn sets, high PnR, even a little triangle (ofc!)

Love the pace and how they push on every stop. Lot of transition threes. Very high energy. Night and day difference from the 1950s offense we've been running.
FIFY
pearbear
(Small sample size not withstanding) I'm sold. Not just the on court performance of his team, but his demeanor throughout.

And a good interview--recognized the human interest angle of the impending birth so discussed that, but then moved the focus to his team, talked specifics, stayed connected to his interviewer... seemed gracious the whole time.

You can show a lot about who you are in a very short time.
GerryLopezBear
If you get a chance to read some Madsen interviews do it. The guy is a class guy! This guy is a huge addition for Cal on and off the court.
calumnus
annarborbear said:

eastcoastcal said:

commentators saying Aziz Bandaogo is an NBA type prospect

Flew all the way to Senegal to get him. No worries about a Monty recruiting repeat.

He played at Akron last year, right?
bluehenbear
Wow a coach giving full attention and effort for his team in a post-season tourney even when it's obvious he's got one foot out the door. Imagine that.
annarborbear
He averaged only three points and three rebounds a game for Akron and went home to Senegal with the prospect of not coming back. Madsen went there to recruit him and he now averages a double-double. Another example of great coaching.
HoopDreams
annarborbear said:

stu said:

The first half was fun. Anyone see the UVU band?

Grew up with the Straw Hat Band, but this is my new favorite.
imagine how hot and uncomfortable those green costumes would be for a whole game
Big C
pearbear said:

(Small sample size not withstanding) I'm sold. Not just the on court performance of his team, but his demeanor throughout.

And a good interview--recognized the human interest angle of the impending birth so discussed that, but then moved the focus to his team, talked specifics, stayed connected to his interviewer... seemed gracious the whole time.

You can show a lot about who you are in a very short time.

Madsen is no dummy: He was using tonight as a stage for his new act, "Getting the Donors Back".

I'm expecting the reviews to be pretty good!
HoopDreams
ducky23 said:

Love the pace and how they push on every stop. Lot of transition threes. Very high energy. Night and day difference from the 1980s offense we've been running.
also like the offensive style, but we will need the players to be successful in the Pac12

Can we win with this style vs Oregon and Arizona?

We will soon see

However defensively, they were not impressive. Multiple easy layups and dunks by the other team.

Probably a function of playing fast
stu
HoopDreams said:

annarborbear said:

stu said:

The first half was fun. Anyone see the UVU band?

Grew up with the Straw Hat Band, but this is my new favorite.
imagine how hot and uncomfortable those green costumes would be for a whole game
Those costumes probably feel great when the team wins.
dimitrig
HoopDreams said:

ducky23 said:

also like the offensive style, but we will need the players to be successful in the Pac12

We will soon see

However defensively, they were not impressive. Multiple easy layups and dunks by the other team.

They already beat Oregon and Colorado with this style so sources say yes.

sluggo
ducky23 said:

I agree it is very NBA. I notice that his players move really well without the ball and have good vision. The fast tempo both getting down the floor and in the half court is great. I would like more screening off the ball after the first action. On defense some zone would be nice. Even just to mix it up.
sluggo
HoopDreams said:

ducky23 said:

We will soon see

It is very guard friendly, and I think it will succeed if he can pull some good guards. Rodney Brown should love it.
ducky23
sluggo said:

HoopDreams said:

ducky23 said:

We will soon see

It is very guard friendly, and I think it will succeed if he can pull some good guards. Rodney Brown should love it.

Well it's also contingent on having a mobile big man who can set the high pick and then roll to the basket (thus taking the defensive focus with him and allowing shooters to get open)

His offense as currently constituted wouldn't work with a guy like Lars. It's handy having a 7 foot gazelle.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.