Story Poster
Cal Basketball

Bears Make Another Big Addition Through the Portal in Texas Tech wing Jaylon Tyson

May 8, 2023

The Bears made their third big portal addition of the spring in sharp shooting 6'7 Texas Tech wing Jaylon Tyson in their efforts to completely rehaul their 2022-23 roster from Cal’s last-place Pac-12 season.

?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Tyson, who was rated the 10th-best small forward, was ranked as the No. 34 prospect in the nation by Rivals, 35th by 247 Sports Composite and #42 by ESPN in the 2021 class, originally signed with Texas, joining Cal combo guard Devin Askew in Austin before he transferred to Cal last season. Tyson transferred to Texas Tech in 2022, where he averaged 10.7 points, 6.1 rebounds, 1.4 steals and 1.3 assists in 31 games, scoring in double figures in 16 games, including a career-high 27 points at West Virginia where he was 11-for-15 from the field with three 3-pointers.

Tyson ranked eighth in the Big 12 with 6.1 rebounds per game and was 12th in the conference with 1.4 steals per game. Tyson also shot 40% from the perimeter, giving the Bears a much-needed additional perimeter threat.

Tyson was on his official visit with fellow commits Fardaws Aimaq, his former teammate at Texas Tech along with combo guard Jalen Cone - a trio who could well totally change the fortunes of Cal’s trajectory in 2023. He was also reunited with Cal assistant Matt Scherbanske, who was on staff at Texas Tech. He will have 3 years to play 2 at Cal.

Tyson becomes of the fithh portal transfer commit of the 2023 class, joining Aimaq, Cone, and guard Mike Meadows‍ and Keonte Kennedy‍ in the Bears completely retooled new roster.

Related:

Cone Excited to Rebuild Cal Hoops

Texas Tech 6'11 Center Portal transfer Aimaq Commits to Cal

Discussion from...

Bears Make Another Big Addition Through the Portal in Texas Tech wing Jaylon Tyson

16,641 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by SBGold
89Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yes!!!
This team can be damn good!!
KoreAmBear
89Bear said:

Yes!!!
This team can be damn good!!
Amazing what Mad Dog is doing. Lessssgoooooo!!! These aren't guys we get out of HS. But in the portal, we are now legit players. All hail cabbage patch dancing Mark.

PtownBear1
**** yeah! Can't for the season to start
parentswerebears
One more spot to fill. Wonder who it is going to be. Either way, we have a competitive team next year.
Big C

Welcome to Cal, Jaylon! We fans are getting fired up again. Go Bears!!!
Vandalus
Welcome Mr. Tyson! I'm very excited about this team and the immediate impact MM has had on the team, especially in his recruiting and use of the transfer portal. Go Bears!!!

KoreAmBear
parentswerebears said:

One more spot to fill. Wonder who it is going to be. Either way, we have a competitive team next year.
If it is Aziz, I would say Mad Dog's recruiting start is 10 of 10.
KoreAmBear
Vandalus said:

Welcome Mr. Tyson! I'm very excited about this team and the immediate impact MM has had on the team, especially in his recruiting and use of the transfer portal. Go Bears!!!

Yep thank you to the donors for funding the Cal NIL.
calumnus
Amazing turnaround! Excited for the season to start!
Bisonbob
It goes to show you that recruiting is key to building a roster which we have not had with the last several coaches!
Keep it going and let's get some homegrown players!
FloriDreaming
Welcome!

Madden crushing the portal!
BeachedBear
Mark Madsen (noting the alliteration with March Madness) has delved the portal and come up with an entire starting lineup (and he may not be done yet):

Cone
Meadows
Kennedy
Tyson
Aimaq

That's basically a talent upgrade at every position (considering the injuries to last year's talent Askew, Clayton, Celestine)
stu
I could see Askew, Celestine, and/or Newell starting depending on how all the pieces fit together.
Gkhoury2325
BeachedBear, I really don not think MM is done. I think he has one more big piece of the puzzle if MM can get donor(s) to pony up for another big time player like Grant Nelson or Aziz Bandaogo. We have an opportunity to go big and he might just do that.

Your lineup is much better than what we had going last year. Exciting times for sure. We have some depth next year at the Guard and Wing position.
oskidunker
stu said:

I could see Askew, Celestine, and/or Newell starting depending on how all the pieces fit together.
Askew is not a good shooter. I doubt he starts over Cone.
Go Bears!
stu
Askew might shoot better in an offense which gets him better shots. He might start beside Cone rather than over Cone. Either way I think it's possible, not probable.
BeachedBear
stu said:

Completely agree Stu. In any event, we have depth. I'm very pleased to see a leader (Madsen) who sees a problem, addresses it and moves ahead. Nothing about excuses, style of play, alignment of the heavens, etc.
oskidunker
Tyson has to apply for a waiver to play for us next year
Go Bears!
MoragaBear
Staff
oskidunker said:

Why would he have to apply for a waiver? He was a high school senior in 2021. This will be his third year of college basketball.

Definitely not correct.
sosheezy
MoragaBear said:

oskidunker said:

Why would he have to apply for a waiver? He was a high school senior in 2021. This will be his third year of college basketball.

Definitely not correct.
Isn't it his second transfer (first attended UT then transferred to Tech)? Although the waiver is likely to be approved because the Texas Tech head coach got fired for racially insensitive comments.
stu
BeachedBear said:

stu said:

Completely agree Stu. In any event, we have depth. I'm very pleased to see a leader (Madsen) who sees a problem, addresses it and moves ahead. Nothing about excuses, style of play, alignment of the heavens, etc.
I think the alignment of the heavens is far better than it was 2 months ago.
MoragaBear
Staff
sosheezy said:

MoragaBear said:

oskidunker said:

Definitely not correct.
Isn't it his second transfer (first attended UT then transferred to Tech)? Although the waiver is likely to be approved because the Texas Tech head coach got fired for racially insensitive comments.

If he meant a waiver for 2023, I misunderstood the comment. He won't need a waiver for next year in 2024 but he will for 2023 which will almost certainly be granted because of the circumstances surrounding his coach.
oskidunker
MoragaBear said:

sosheezy said:

MoragaBear said:

oskidunker said:

Definitely not correct.

If he meant a waiver for 2023, I misunderstood the comment. He won't need a waiver for next year in 2024 but he will for 2023 which will almost certainly be granted because of the circumstances surrounding his coach.
2023. Read on numerous sites
Go Bears!
Bearly Clad
You tell the whole damn world this is Bear Territory! Finally as fans we can be excited about California basketball again! It's been a long time coming and all new coaches talk a big game about turning things around immediately but Madsen and staff are actually backing up those words with action. Between the talent additions, the X's and O's changes, and the new practice facility planned it's been a decade since we could feel this confident and excited about the direction of our program.

Welcome to The University of California Mr. Tyson and Go Bears!
Golden One
Kudos to Madsen and his coaching staff! I really didn't think he could land Tyson, but I'm overjoyed that I was wrong. Looking forward to the upcoming season.
oskidunker
Golden One said:

Kudos to Madsen and his coaching staff! I really didn't think he could land Tyson, but I'm overjoyed that I was wrong. Looking forward to the upcoming season.
Who will be the last player?
Go Bears!
Golden One
oskidunker said:

Golden One said:

Who will be the last player?
I don't know, but I'm looking forward to being pleasantly surprised and excited once again. Madsen is a miracle worker! Go Bears!
dmh65
Are you sure that we shouldn't have given Mark Fox one more year?
3146gabby
IF you get a chance, listen to MM's interview with Jon Feinstein....MM gets Cal, understands the many dimensions of a sport and how it affects young people....just wondering whether the UCSB coach or even Denis Gates could have generated so much excitement.....
stu
3146gabby said:

IF you get a chance, listen to MM's interview with Jon Feinstein....MM gets Cal, understands the many dimensions of a sport and how it affects young people....just wondering whether the UCSB coach or even Denis Gates could have generated so much excitement.....
Who is the UCSB coach?
GoOskie
Hells yea!
bearmanpg
Madsen has done more work already than MFer did in 4 years....This guy gets it and is not too lazy to get out and do what is necessary in todays recruiting wars.....The contrast is stunning....How did Knowlton not see how little MFer was doing for an inflated salary...
Bearly Clad
dmh65 said:

Are you sure that we shouldn't have given Mark Fox one more year?
I'd give him a year on the mop team cleaning the floor on timeouts and after a slip. That way he could finally do something productive for our program. The only problem is that he's way underqualified for the position
stu
The guy who mops the floor at our women's games does it with way more enthusiasm that I ever saw from Mark Fox.
calumnus
stu said:

Askew might shoot better in an offense which gets him better shots. He might start beside Cone rather than over Cone. Either way I think it's possible, not probable.

Askew's 3 pt % at:
Kentucky .278
Texas .320
Cal .299
Overall .295

Hard to argue he didn't get open looks at Kentucky and Texas. He actually shot above his career average at Cal.

That said, if there is anything he should be working on in the off season, it is his three point shooting. As we always point out, Jason Kidd went from being a poor 3 pt shooter at Cal to top 10 in the NBA. His past poor shooting is in the past, but Madsen clearly recognizes the value of the 3 pt shot and I doubt he gives a lot of minutes to a guard who does not hit a high percentage when he has guards that do.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.