Cal v the puppies

6,920 Views | 120 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by SFCityBear
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Little known fact about the Wizard of Westwood:
He trash talked the opposing team's players during the game as they ran down court in front of him. He did it to two of my law partners that started for Cal and my research confirmed it was a "thing" for Wooden.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
sluggo
bearister said:

He trash talked the opposing team's players during the game as they ran down court in front of him. He did it to two of my law partners that started for Cal and my research confirmed it was a "thing" for Wooden.
He was a complicated guy, no doubt.
Big C
sluggo said:

Big C said:

ducky23 said:

HearstMining said:

bearister said:

"Look I think madsen is great, the team has improved but holy Christ his late game management is atrocious."

That makes 4 Cal coaches in a row where the odds of winning a close game in the last two minutes greatly favor the Bears' opponent. Granted, Wyking Jones and Mark Fox may have only been in that situation once or twice.

*Coach needs to take Monty out for coffee or a beer once a week.
Heck, Madsen should contract with Monty $1000/week for twice-weekly one-hour zoom calls. One weekly meeting to discuss the previous game's results and one to game-plan for next week.
So I've had the day to think about this. Because I just dont understand why Madsen is making the late game decisions he is making. He's obviously very intelligent. He played for some amazing HOF coaches. He knows more about basketball than this entire board combined (and then some). So why does he keep making...lets call them "unconventional" decisions late in games?

This is my theory (and I could be 100% wrong, but its the only explanation I have).

If Monty were coaching that final minute, he would have micromanaged it to death. He would have had the exact personnel on the court that he wanted, he would have told his players exactly where to be on the court, it would have been completely orchestrated to EXACTLY how HE wanted it.

Madsen was a player, at a pretty high level, so I think he may coach from a player's perspective. I believe (and again I may be wrong), but I don't think he wants to micromanage. He doesn't want to sub offense for defense. He just wants to put HIS GUYS on the court and let them make decisions for themselves.

I think short term, I think its probably not super effective, because Monty wins that game. But I can see an argument where longterm, you get better buy in from your players and you know that your coach trusts you by allowing your players some leeway. Some freedom late in games.

That's all I've got. Cause the only other explanation I have for his late game decision making doesn't reflect too kindly on Madsen and I desperately want to believe in him

Great post; I had been thinking that exact thought myself: This must be an overall coaching/educational philosophy of Madsen's, to not micromanage and, rather, let the players figure it out for themselves. Wasn't it John Wooden who didn't do much coaching in the game, because that is what practice is for? (If it wasn't Wooden, I know it was somebody, dammit!)

The only thing about that is that Madsen spends most of the game on his feet, yelling stuff to the players... I assume he's yelling instructions, basically "micromanaging".

So now I'm not really sure what to think, except I'm glad we're better than we were last year.
Yes it was John Wooden. But with players so much better than anyone else, whatever strategy he used was going to work.

It is one of the classic BI posts where a Cal coach does something inexplicable but posters explain the logic behind it. It is like stars don't matter in recruiting posts, other teams win but with less class than Cal loses posts, and Cal is not even trying to win posts. Yes, but no.

Good stuff. However, I'm assuming -- I know, "never assume" -- that Madsen, having played for Monty and Phil Jackson, having coached for years and seeming to be a pretty smart guy, must know about in-game coaching tactics. The guy's basically been in basketball full-time for almost the last 30 years! So I figured that what he's doing must be intentional.

No?
Alkiadt
bearister said:

Rene Herrerias (and a few other Pac 8 coaches including Howie Dallmar of Stanford) used to purposefully give Wooden the limp fish handshake pregame. It was an inside joke on him. Wooden hated a limp handshake and they'd do it just to **** with him.
Lord knows nobody could beat him though…
sluggo
Big C said:

sluggo said:

Big C said:

ducky23 said:

HearstMining said:

bearister said:

"Look I think madsen is great, the team has improved but holy Christ his late game management is atrocious."

That makes 4 Cal coaches in a row where the odds of winning a close game in the last two minutes greatly favor the Bears' opponent. Granted, Wyking Jones and Mark Fox may have only been in that situation once or twice.

Heck, Madsen should contract with Monty $1000/week for twice-weekly one-hour zoom calls. One weekly meeting to discuss the previous game's results and one to game-plan for next week.
So I've had the day to think about this. Because I just dont understand why Madsen is making the late game decisions he is making. He's obviously very intelligent. He played for some amazing HOF coaches. He knows more about basketball than this entire board combined (and then some). So why does he keep making...lets call them "unconventional" decisions late in games?

This is my theory (and I could be 100% wrong, but its the only explanation I have).

If Monty were coaching that final minute, he would have micromanaged it to death. He would have had the exact personnel on the court that he wanted, he would have told his players exactly where to be on the court, it would have been completely orchestrated to EXACTLY how HE wanted it.

Madsen was a player, at a pretty high level, so I think he may coach from a player's perspective. I believe (and again I may be wrong), but I don't think he wants to micromanage. He doesn't want to sub offense for defense. He just wants to put HIS GUYS on the court and let them make decisions for themselves.

I think short term, I think its probably not super effective, because Monty wins that game. But I can see an argument where longterm, you get better buy in from your players and you know that your coach trusts you by allowing your players some leeway. Some freedom late in games.

That's all I've got. Cause the only other explanation I have for his late game decision making doesn't reflect too kindly on Madsen and I desperately want to believe in him

Great post; I had been thinking that exact thought myself: This must be an overall coaching/educational philosophy of Madsen's, to not micromanage and, rather, let the players figure it out for themselves. Wasn't it John Wooden who didn't do much coaching in the game, because that is what practice is for? (If it wasn't Wooden, I know it was somebody, dammit!)

The only thing about that is that Madsen spends most of the game on his feet, yelling stuff to the players... I assume he's yelling instructions, basically "micromanaging".

So now I'm not really sure what to think, except I'm glad we're better than we were last year.
Yes it was John Wooden. But with players so much better than anyone else, whatever strategy he used was going to work.

It is one of the classic BI posts where a Cal coach does something inexplicable but posters explain the logic behind it. It is like stars don't matter in recruiting posts, other teams win but with less class than Cal loses posts, and Cal is not even trying to win posts. Yes, but no.

Good stuff. However, I'm assuming -- I know, "never assume" -- that Madsen, having played for Monty and Phil Jackson, having coached for years and seeming to be a pretty smart guy, must know about in-game coaching tactics. The guys basically been in basketball full-time for almost the last 30 years! So I figured that what he's doing must be intentional.

No?
He is intentionally making suboptimal decisions to teach lessons to a bunch of players who won't be around next year? I have a bridge to sell you ...

He has struggled late in the game with fouling, using timeouts, in bounds plays, guarding the three point line, and personnel (although I am less sure about this last charge). He is just not good strategically. People are smart in different ways. He seems to have good verbal ability and emotional intelligence. But I would like to see his Wonderlic score.
Big C
sluggo said:

Big C said:

sluggo said:

Big C said:

ducky23 said:

HearstMining said:

bearister said:

Good stuff. However, I'm assuming -- I know, "never assume" -- that Madsen, having played for Monty and Phil Jackson, having coached for years and seeming to be a pretty smart guy, must know about in-game coaching tactics. The guys basically been in basketball full-time for almost the last 30 years! So I figured that what he's doing must be intentional.

No?
He is intentionally making suboptimal decisions to teach lessons to a bunch of players who won't be around next year? I have a bridge to sell you ...

He has struggled late in the game with fouling, using timeouts, in bounds plays, guarding the three point line, and personnel (although I am less sure about this last charge). He is just not good strategically. People are smart in different ways. He seems to have good verbal ability and emotional intelligence. But I would like to see his Wonderlic score.

You are probably correct; it does make more sense. Note though, that his "suboptimal" decisions usually involve not making a decision, or allowing the players to make the decision.

I was just thinking that even a dolt like me, if I had his basketball resume, would have this down, so it must be intentional, as part of a grander plan.
calumnus
sluggo said:

Big C said:

sluggo said:

Big C said:

ducky23 said:

HearstMining said:

bearister said:

No?

As I said in another thread: at this point he is essentially Wyking Jones without the excuse of having a young team. Hopefully he shows us something the rest of the way, I am still holding out hope he gets the team playing at a high level and we win the PAC-12 Tournament.
SFCityBear
sluggo said:

Big C said:

ducky23 said:

HearstMining said:

bearister said:

Maybe, and maybe not. Most coaches of that era that I saw were not micromanaging games, not talking to players except in timeouts. Newell sometimes did not call timeouts, not because he wanted his players to figure it out themselves, but to needle the opposing coach. It sends a message to the opposing coach that his players are better prepared than the players of the opposing coach. It used to personally offend Wooden that Newell would not call a timeout, when Wooden felt Newell should call one. "What could he know that I don't know?" "What could Newell have up his sleeve?" It was a game of chess. Wooden always had better players than Newell, and in fact during the first half of Newell's career, Wooden used to beat Newell's teams at USF and Cal most of the time. However, the last four years of Newell's career before he retired, his Cal teams defeated Wooden's UCLA teams, eight straight games beginning with the last game in the 1957 season, and then 2 games in 1958, 2 games in 1959, and 3 games in 1960. During those four seasons, Newell's Cal teams would win 4 straight Conference Championships, have 2 Elite 8 finishes, one NCAA Runnerup finish, and one NCAA championship. Pete Newell and Cal, during those four years, OWNED JOHN WOODEN. And then Pete retired from coaching.

It would take four more years before John Wooden would win his very first NCAA Championship. And it would take several more years before Wooden would acknowledge that he had learned a lot about defense from Newell, and they became friends in the end. Not good friends, but friends, so the story goes.
SFCityBear
OdontoBear66
SFCityBear said:

sluggo said:

Big C said:

ducky23 said:

HearstMining said:

bearister said:

Maybe, and maybe not. Most coaches of that era that I saw were not micromanaging games, not talking to players except in timeouts. Newell sometimes did not call timeouts, not because he wanted his players to figure it out themselves, but to needle the opposing coach. It sends a message to the opposing coach that his players are better prepared than the players of the opposing coach. It used to personally offend Wooden that Newell would not call a timeout, when Wooden felt Newell should call one. "What could he know that I don't know?" "What could Newell have up his sleeve?" It was a game of chess. Wooden always had better players than Newell, and in fact during the first half of Newell's career, Wooden used to beat Newell's teams at USF and Cal most of the time. However, the last four years of Newell's career before he retired, his Cal teams defeated Wooden's UCLA teams, eight straight games beginning with the last game in the 1957 season, and then 2 games in 1958, 2 games in 1959, and 3 games in 1960. During those four seasons, Newell's Cal teams would win 4 straight Conference Championships, have 2 Elite 8 finishes, one NCAA Runnerup finish, and one NCAA championship. Pete Newell and Cal, during those four years, OWNED JOHN WOODEN. And then Pete retired from coaching.

It would take four more years before John Wooden would win his very first NCAA Championship. And it would take several more years before Wooden would acknowledge that he had learned a lot about defense from Newell, and they became friends in the end. Not good friends, but friends, so the story goes.
Again SF CityBear thanks for the informative post. Remember the days of glory in Cal BB.
HoopDreams
Johnfox said:

WSU is really good. They got Myles Rice who dropped 35 last night and an interesting big Isaac Jones. Started off his career at JUCO then went to Idaho. Now he's at WSU and looks great. Averaging 16 and 7.

Also, WSU has a LOT of height. All but one player in their starting five is 6'8 and above (Myles Rice). Will Madsen counter that?

They will have a TON of momentum coming into this game riding a 3 game win streak. Beat USC on the road, #8 Arizona at home, and Stanford on the road.

Hopefully we will be able to get this one.
Amazing how WSU reloaded after 2 great and one good players transferred/went to nba

Great talent evaluator and coach
bearister
Are Cougs overdue for a loss and Bears for a win? Does the 1.5 point spread make the Bears a good bet and the 10 point spread the Packers a good bet? We will know both answers this evening.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
RedlessWardrobe
Based on the last couple of WSU games coupled by the fact that we have a hard time putting a complete 40 minutes together, I am rather surprised that the Cougs aren't at the very least a 3 point favorite. As usual, please let me be wrong on this!
calumnus
HoopDreams said:

Johnfox said:

WSU is really good. They got Myles Rice who dropped 35 last night and an interesting big Isaac Jones. Started off his career at JUCO then went to Idaho. Now he's at WSU and looks great. Averaging 16 and 7.

Also, WSU has a LOT of height. All but one player in their starting five is 6'8 and above (Myles Rice). Will Madsen counter that?

They will have a TON of momentum coming into this game riding a 3 game win streak. Beat USC on the road, #8 Arizona at home, and Stanford on the road.

Amazing how WSU reloaded after 2 great and one good players transferred/went to nba

Anyone still want to argue Fox was a better hire than Smith?

Though I really wish Carol Christ had hired Pat Chun instead of Jim Knowlton.
Alkiadt
calumnus said:

HoopDreams said:

Johnfox said:

Anyone still want to argue Fox was a better hire than Smith?

Though I really wish Carol Christ had hired Pat Chun instead of Jim Knowlton.

I don't think anybody argued it.
But the facts are that Smith wanted the WSU job as his wife is from the Palouse. She wanted to live in eastern Washington, closer to family. Smith was already closing in on that job and he never interviewed for the Cal job.
Johnfox
Stanfurd just beat Washington 90-80. Spencer Jones shot 8-12 from 3. We will have a fun one at Haas.
SFCityBear
OdontoBear66 said:

SFCityBear said:

sluggo said:

Big C said:

ducky23 said:

HearstMining said:

bearister said:

Again SF CityBear thanks for the informative post. Remember the days of glory in Cal BB.
You're welcome. My pleasure.
SFCityBear

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.