Basketball Breaking News General Hoop Repository

7,136 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by bearister
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This thread is for NBA, college, high school, CYO, intramural and your pick up games. NO WOMEN's BASKETBALL HOWEVER! EVER!*

"70 years ago today, Furman's Frank Selvy scored a D-I record 100 points in a 149-95 win over D-II Newberry College, Jeff writes.

Scoring machine: Selvy averaged 41.7 ppg as a senior, the fourth-best mark ever behind only Pete Maravich's three years at LSU. He went No. 1 overall to the Baltimore Bullets* that spring and spent nine years in the NBA, making two All-Star teams."
-YahooSportsAM

*Never heard of him or his feat. I thought only Wilt scored 100 at any level. I sure like the dude's black Cons, but I sported purple ones.

*EXCEPTING CAITLIN CLARK, NATURALLY.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
JimSox
bearister said:

This thread is for NBA, college, high school, CYO, intramural and your pick up games. NO WOMEN's BASKETBALL HOWEVER! EVER!

"70 years ago today, Furman's Frank Selvy scored a D-I record 100 points in a 149-95 win over D-II Newberry College, Jeff writes.

Scoring machine: Selvy averaged 41.7 ppg as a senior, the fourth-best mark ever behind only Pete Maravich's three years at LSU. He went No. 1 overall to the Baltimore Bullets* that spring and spent nine years in the NBA, making two All-Star teams."
-YahooSportsAM

*Never heard of him or his feat. I thought only Wilt scored 100 at any level. I sure like the dude's black Cons, but I sported purple ones.

I thought the Baltimore Bullets didn't exist until the 1960's. When I was in high school in Chicago in the early '60's the city had a new NBA expansion team. The Chicago Packers. Their second year they changed their name to the Zephyrs. Or maybe it was the other way around. Played in the old International Amphitheater on the southwest side. Barn of a place. The team stunk. The third year, and this I remember distinctly (old guys CAN remember stuff), they changed their name again. To the Baltimore Bullets. Gone. My dad said Chicago was a high school and college basketball town. I think there was an NBA team that failed there in the '40's, too. He said pro basketball could never succeed in Chicago. Might have been wrong about that. Is my memory incorrect? I don't think so, but I'm too lazy to look it up.
Cal8285
JimSox said:

bearister said:

This thread is for NBA, college, high school, CYO, intramural and your pick up games. NO WOMEN's BASKETBALL HOWEVER! EVER!

-YahooSportsAM

I thought the Baltimore Bullets didn't exist until the 1960's. When I was in high school in Chicago in the early '60's the city had a new NBA expansion team. The Chicago Packers. Their second year they changed their name to the Zephyrs. Or maybe it was the other way around. Played in the old International Amphitheater on the southwest side. Barn of a place. The team stunk. The third year, and this I remember distinctly (old guys CAN remember stuff), they changed their name again. To the Baltimore Bullets. Gone. My dad said Chicago was a high school and college basketball town. I think there was an NBA team that failed there in the '40's, too. He said pro basketball could never succeed in Chicago. Might have been wrong about that. Is my memory incorrect? I don't think so, but I'm too lazy to look it up.
The SECOND Baltimore Bullets didn't exist until the 1960's, and it WAS the Chicago Packers/Zephyrs who moved to Baltimore and became the Bullets.

But the FIRST Baltimore Bullets existed 1944 until a dozen or so games into the 54-55 season, first in the American Basketball League, then in the Basketball Association of America, that became the NBA after it absorbed the National Basketball League between the 48-49 and 49-50 seasons. They had a pretty bad record when they folded partway into the 54-55 season. There was a dispersal draft, and Frank Selvy went to the Milwaukee Hawks, who moved to St. Louis in 1955, where Selvy played until 58, and the back half of his career was mostly with the Lakers.

The name got revived when they Zephyrs moved to Baltimore for the 63-64 season.

But the Bulls were actually the third Chicago NBA team. The Stags were in the BAA and played one year in the NBA after the merger, but folded before the 50-51 season.

And the Bulls were shaky early on. In their fourth year, the 69-70 season, they played 8 home games in Kansas City, with big attendance problems in Chicago and some thoughts that the Bulls might move to KC. The first NBA game I ever attended was between the Seattle Supersonics and the Chicago Bulls in Municipal Auditorium in Kansas City. Many were still thinking that pro basketball could never succeed in Chicago, with it looking like there would potentially be failure number three.

But yes, your memory of the pre-Baltimore version of the SECOND Baltimore Bullets NBA team, and the SECOND Chicago NBA team, is correct.
Larno
Graduated from high school in 1969. We wore black Converse Chuck Taylor low tops my senior year, white high tops the previous years. Everyone we played against wore them, or sometimes cheaper knock-offs. As had been the case for basketball players for decades before then. Within a year or two the new shoes from Adidas and others hit the market sending the Chucks into retirement. Even Converse came out with the new models.
bearister
"1953: William & Mary center Bill Chambers grabbed an NCAA-record 51 rebounds in a win over Virginia. No one else has ever grabbed more than 43."
-YahooSportsAM
JimSox
Cal8285 said:

JimSox said:

bearister said:

-YahooSportsAM

The SECOND Baltimore Bullets didn't exist until the 1960's, and it WAS the Chicago Packers/Zephyrs who moved to Baltimore and became the Bullets.

But the FIRST Baltimore Bullets existed 1944 until a dozen or so games into the 54-55 season, first in the American Basketball League, then in the Basketball Association of America, that became the NBA after it absorbed the National Basketball League between the 48-49 and 49-50 seasons. They had a pretty bad record when they folded partway into the 54-55 season. There was a dispersal draft, and Frank Selvy went to the Milwaukee Hawks, who moved to St. Louis in 1955, where Selvy played until 58, and the back half of his career was mostly with the Lakers.

The name got revived when they Zephyrs moved to Baltimore for the 63-64 season.

But the Bulls were actually the third Chicago NBA team. The Stags were in the BAA and played one year in the NBA after the merger, but folded before the 50-51 season.

And the Bulls were shaky early on. In their fourth year, the 69-70 season, they played 8 home games in Kansas City, with big attendance problems in Chicago and some thoughts that the Bulls might move to KC. The first NBA game I ever attended was between the Seattle Supersonics and the Chicago Bulls in Municipal Auditorium in Kansas City. Many were still thinking that pro basketball could never succeed in Chicago, with it looking like there would potentially be failure number three.

But yes, your memory of the pre-Baltimore version of the SECOND Baltimore Bullets NBA team, and the SECOND Chicago NBA team, is correct.
Wow! Great stuff 8285. You're a real basketball historian! Yes, the Chicago Stags. The name rings a bell now, but I was only four when they folded so I have no actual memory of that team. I figured there must have been a previous Baltimore Bullets because of your Frank Selvy story. I only attended one Packers/Zephyrs game. Sat behind the (probably) Zephyrs basket one cold winter night. I think they were behind three points with about three seconds left and shooting two free throws. So, hopeless. Bundled up in my bulky coat and made my way down to the floor behind the basket ready to exit. Made the first free throw. Purposely missed the second one, and the ball was fumbled out of bounds. Zephyrs ball. Damn if some guy--I think his name was John Cox, out of Kentucky, you may know if that's right--made an impossible hook shot out of the corner. Overtime. So there I stood sweating in my coat watching the team lose in OT. What fun!
Thanks for all that info. I left town for Berkeley before the Bulls ever came into existence, so I was never really a Bulls fan. But it's good to know my father was not alone in thinking pro basketball would never succeed in Chicago.
JimSox
Looked it up. There were two home games the Zephyrs lost in OT, one in October '62 and the other, a double OT loss to the NY Knicks in February '63. That's probably the game I was at. The guy who made the shot was indeed Johnny Cox out of Kentucky. And the home court was not the old International Amphitheater but the Chicago Coliseum, an arena on the near south side, now gone. Apologies for going on so much so way off topic. Just want to set the record straight.
bearister

Now 14 min. 23 points…from off the bench.
Alkiadt
bearister said:

And the Warriors give up 14 straight points to end the half. Now tied.
Alkiadt
bearister said:

Klay: finished with 23. The warriors are cold toast.
concordtom
UHSP's Grace Beyer breaks NAIA women's hoops scoring record

ESPN News Services
Feb 24, 2024, 04:35 PM ET

ST. LOUIS -- Grace Beyer set the women's NAIA career scoring record Saturday, rising to 3,874 points with a 32-point effort in an 80-56 victory for University of Health Sciences and Pharmacy (St. Louis) over Hannibal-LaGrange (Missouri).

Needing 14 points to pass the NAIA record of 3,855 points set by Miriam Walker-Samuels of Claflin (South Carolina) from 1987 to 1990, Beyer reached 16 points when she hit a 3-pointer 4 1/2 minutes into the second quarter.

At her season average of 34.5 points, Beyer would need six postseason games to reach the women's all-college scoring record of Pearl Moore, who scored 4,061 points -- 3,884 for AIAW-member Francis Marion (S.C) from 1975 to '79 and 177 at Anderson Junior College. Moore is the only women's player to reach 4,000 points. UHSP entered Saturday's regular-season finale tied for fourth place in the American Midwest Conference.

The overall all-college record (men and women) is held by John Pierce with 4,230 points for Lipscomb from 1990 to '94 when the Bisons were an NAIA program.

Iowa's Caitlin Clark has made headlines recently for setting the women's NCAA Division I scoring record. She has 3,593 points through Friday and is chasing Pete Maravich's NCAA Division I record of 3,667 points.

Maravich is No. 11 on the overall list for men and women. The top 10 include six NAIA players, three from NCAA Division II and one from the AIAW. Beyer has risen to fifth on that list. Four of the top 10 are women.

Beyer's 32 points Saturday came on 9-of-23 shooting with six 3-pointers, and the 90% free throw shooter went 8-for-8 from the line. She added four rebounds and six assists. Samantha Matthews scored 23 points, which included seven 3-pointers in the first half, and Elizabeth Allanach scored 22 with six 3s. The Eutes made 20 of 48 3-pointers. Lesley Ivy led Hannibal-LaGrange with 26 points.

Beyer has seven 40-point games this season with a high of 51.
concordtom
Caitlin Clark's scoring record reveals legacies of Lynette Woodard and Pearl Moore

FEBRUARY 16, 202411:22 AM ET

All eyes were on Caitlin Clark as she set a new all-time scoring record in NCAA women's basketball on Thursday night. Her overall scoring record, which now grows with each remaining game of Clark's college career, easily surpassed the previous mark of 3,527 points.

The Iowa Hawkeyes senior uses deep shooting, creative drives and tight handles to consistently threaten opposing defenses.

Clark has many reasons to be proud of breaking the scoring record of Kelsey Plum, who played for the University of Washington and is now a WNBA champion with the Las Vegas Aces. But there are some legends missing from this story basketball players Lynette Woodard and Pearl Moore.

Woodard starred for University of Kansas in the late 1970s and early 1980s and she scored 3,649 points over four years.

So why isn't Woodard the all-time scoring leader? After all, more points is more points.

Well, Woodard played at a time before the NCAA recognized women's collegiate sports. Statistics from non-NCAA associations "are not currently included in NCAA record books, regardless of gender," an NCAA spokesperson said in a statement to The Wall Street Journal.

Amid the conversation around Woodard's scoring record, some are also arguing that Woodard, could also be women's college basketball's forgotten GOAT (greatest of all-time).

Woodard became a two-time Olympian, winning gold as the captain of Team USA at the 1984 Games. She also joined the Harlem Globetrotters as their first female member. After playing overseas, she even came out of retirement to play for the brand-new WNBA. In other words, Woodard blazed a trail that modern women's basketball players are now following.

In a statement provided to NPR, Woodard wrote: "In honoring Caitlin's accomplishments, I hope that we can also shine a light on the pioneers who paved the way before her. Women's basketball has a glorious history that predates the NCAA's involvement. I applaud Caitlin for everything she has done and look forward to watching her score many more points for years to come."

Woodard's legacy isn't the only one being resurfaced regarding women's basketball greats. The college scoring record of an even lesser-known basketball star, Pearl Moore, should last even longer.

Moore played for Francis Marion College in the late 1970s, and scored even more buckets than Woodard. Moore's record of 4,061 points has stood for decades in women's college basketball. And because Francis Marion isn't a Division I school, its sports records have received much less attention. But Moore was recognized as a four-time Small College All American, going on to play professionally for the New York Stars and the St. Louis Streak. Both teams were part of the short-lived Women's Professional Basketball League.

In a recent interview, the four-time college All-American said she's excited for Caitlin Clark to potentially break the non-NCAA scoring records.

"Records were made to be broken. And I'm thinking about let's say Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and LeBron James, and I think it was about 40 years between LeBron's like 38 and that record last for like 30 years," Moore said. "And I finished college at 22 and I'm 66 now, so that records like 40 years, so records are made to be broken and if she does it, good for her."

(Pearle Moore gives her enshrinement speech as part of the 2021 class for the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.)

With renewed attention on scoring records, numerous women's basketball legend are now weighing in on the overlooked accomplishments of players such as Woodard and Moore. Just days after surpassing Duke's Mike Krzyzewski to become the all-time coaching wins leader in college basketball, Stanford's Tara VanDerveer shared her view on the topic with The Wall Street Journal.

"I think the overall record by Lynette Woodard is THE RECORD," VanDerveer wrote. She added that Woodard scored all of her points before the 3-point line was even added to the court.

None of the conversation around which record should be recognized is to take away from the accomplishments of Caitlin Clark. She's a senior at Iowa, so she's expected to soon make a big splash in the WNBA, inspiring new generations of women's basketball players to shoot their own shot at the record books.

But as women's basketball rapidly evolves, it's good to look to the future, while never forgetting the accomplishments of the players of the past.
concordtom
The NCAA erased an entire generation of women's sports

Sally Jenkins - Washington Post
Sun, Feb 25, 2024 at 8:02 AM PST

The purpose of records is not to satisfy the incurable enthusiasms of men with sweating beer bottles in hoarse bar arguments over arcane decimals. It's to provide some memory-measure of great deeds. Iowa's Caitlin Clark is approaching a great deed, but the NCAA record book cheapens it by historically gutterizing women's basketball. The greatest scorer in major-division women's collegiate history is not Clark, but Lynette Woodard of Kansas. You'd never know this, however, because the old NCAA had no respect for Woodard's era, so it canceled it, and asterisked it.

The most remarkable thing about Woodard's scoring mark of 3,649, set at Kansas from 1978-1981, is that many of those points came after she'd been folded into a van because nobody would pay for women athletes to fly. The most airtime Woodard got was when she'd go skylarking to the rim. She could flutter a shot in the net like a pianist touching keys, despite being cramped up for hours - the tallest women suffered the most in those vans. Yet Woodard's accomplishment isn't formally in the record book because NCAA male administrators flatly refused to recognize or fund women's sports until, get this, 1982. In response to a query, an NCAA spokesperson responded that women's records pre-that date "were not completed while the schools/teams in question were NCAA members."

To sum up, the NCAA doesn't regard women's basketball records as records, because before 1982 the NCAA didn't want women in their organization.

"Those records should have been merged a long time ago," Woodard says. " … We're so quick to erase anything we don't like or think we don't like. It's just not fair. There's a lot of history there and it just should not be dismissed."

What is a record, really? It's an emblem of "continuous quest," as a Norwegian professor of philosophy Dr. Sigmund Loland teased out the question in an essay in "The Philosophy of Sport." As Loland observes, a record is not an exact mathematical comparison of points or seconds within a standard spatiotemporal framework. Records are actually non-precise, simply by virtue of time and progress. Johnny Weissmuller's pool was not Michael Phelps's. Yet they occupy the same human book. Records are symbolic messages that contain potential, history, and memory, all in one.

The true history and memory of women's basketball is this: In the 1970s the NCAA was a male fiefdom of crew cut athletic directors who thought a dime devoted to a women's sport came at the direct expense of a man. When a coach named Marynell Meadors proposed to start a women's basketball team at Tennessee Tech and asked for funding, her athletic director sneered, "I'll give you a hundred dollars." She had to drive her team in a small bus that was so dilapidated, the sliding door wouldn't fully close, and she worried she'd lose a player out the door on a highway. That kind of thing.

There was only one way to change things for women: by winning. You changed things by winning. So, ostracized university women self-formed an organization called the AIAW and for a decade funded and ran their own championship events - and grew them. They set records in cheap polyester uniforms that didn't breathe, jerseys that got heavier with their sweat. They held bake sales and washed cars to raise money, and forced their long bodies in 12-seat vans with their knees up, packed bologna sandwiches, and drove cross-country to tournaments.

"Ten hours wasn't uncommon," recalls Stanford Coach Tara VanDerveer.

At the inaugural women's basketball championship in 1972 in Normal, Ill., teams slept in motels four to a room. That didn't quiet the nuns of Immaculata University, who came all the way from Pennsylvania and expressed their fanatical fandom for Cathy Rush's team by gonging so loud on pots and pans that their noisemakers had to be banned.

Over the next 10 years, the arc of performance grew breathtakingly - even as players like Woodard went hungry, because women had to wait hours for the last, worst and most obscure male athlete to leave Kansas's Allen Fieldhouse before they were allowed on the floor.

"Every day was a fight even just to get practice time," Woodard recalls. "And to get fed, because if we had an evening practice, the cafeterias would close."

But they wouldn't have traded the experience, because it gave them a pride of possession, a sense that they were the architects of themselves and their game. Their success was entirely self-earned, they hadn't been handed anything. They did it without recompense and for pure love of the thing, and because there was a lot to be said for building yourself from the ground up.

"I navigated with my soul," Woodard says.

By 1981 the AIAW staged 41 championships in 19 sports and put women's basketball on national television. Which is exactly when the NCAA swooped in with a hostile corporate takeover, pressuring universities into abandoning the AIAW, to absorb what the women had built. And they stuck AIAW records under an asterisk at the back of the book, perhaps in the hope everyone would forget the NCAA leaders' sexist miscalculating past.

Records should not be about whether something was completed under the right organizational alphabet, the NCAA's runes. After all, the NCAA is just a set of "call letters," Woodard observes.

There is nothing trivial about this. It's an act of erasure. Example: the NCAA regards Michigan as the holder of the record for most college football victories of all time, with 989. Yet the NCAA didn't come into existence until 1910, and Michigan began playing football in 1879. The NCAA doesn't strike or asterisk anything Michigan won "pre-NCAA." Otherwise there goes Fielding Yost and his 56-game winning streak, and a huge chunk of Michigan's seasons. The NCAA wouldn't dream of ignoring those years.

Yet they do so with women's basketball. They take away anything done pre-NCAA - and here are some of the people and things you lose. Ann Meyers, Lusia Harris, Nancy Lieberman, Cindy Brogdon, Carol Blazejowski. It's as if they never existed. Call up the NCAA record book online and try to find a trace of them. They aren't there.

The first seven seasons of Pat Summitt's career came outside of NCAA benediction. So did the first 10 of C. Vivian Stringer's, and the first three of VanDerveer's. And all of Margaret Wade's. Yet strangely, in the ultimate fit of illogic, the record book actually includes women's coaching victories won pre-NCAA.

"It's inconsistent," VanDerveer remarked in an email exchange. "These are basketball records. And women's basketball was played at a high level before the NCAA took over governance of the women's game."

Giving Woodard's performance the proper respect and recognition therefore matters - greatly. The perfect occasion to remedy that is right now, so that when Clark sets the record, the real record, it means what it should. With three games remaining in the regular season, Clark was still 56 points shy of Woodard and 75 points shy of men's record holder Pete Maravich, and seems likely to break both marks by March. If and when it happens, we should remember that without Woodard, and all the other heroines of the AIAW era, there simply is no Caitlin Clark.

"Caitlin is having a wonderful, sensational career, and when there is a high tide, all boats float," Woodard says. "There are so many things she is making people aware of, and I think it's a great thing. But I just hope that if the call letters ever changed on 'NCAA,' her records might be blended."
concordtom
Your lead story was about old scoring records, and your thread needed some help, so I INCLUDED some very real accomplishments that deserve recognition.

Any sports fan, social progressive, or father of five young women will approve!

And Grace Breyer's scoring record is happening NOW!
You should head over to the women's basketball page to read my pasted story about it!

(No sexist backtracking jokes necessary. As I said at a dinner last night - "Sorry. Not all jokes work.")
bearister
My daughter was a good hoop player and my wife came from a family of 5 girls. Yes, when her family went to restaurants she heard the word "harem" more than once followed by giggles. I assume you have a couple of stories.
bearister
"Two of the greatest rookie seasons ever collide tonight in San Antonio, where Victor Wembanyama's Spurs host Chet Holmgren's Thunder in their third matchup of the season, Jeff writes.

Tale of the tape: Holmgren leads the season series, 2-0, over Wembanyama, but it's the 7-foot-4 French prodigy who's taken a commanding lead in the Rookie of the Year race (-650 at BetMGM) over the 7-foot-1 Minneapolis native (+500). Don't let that fool you, though: Chet's numbers are nearly as staggering as Wemby's.

Making history: It took just 48 games for Wembanyama to become the first player in NBA history with 150 blocks, 150 assists and 75 three-pointers in a season and Holmgren has since joined him as the second, doing so in 57 games. And that's not where their similarities end.

Take those blocks, for example. They're not just good for rookies: Wemby leads the league with 3.3 per game and Holmgren is tied for second, with 2.7.

Their overall defense is also elite: Among the 200 players averaging at least 20 minutes per game, they're tied for the fourth-best defensive rating."
YahooAM Sports

*On this date 60 years ago:
" 1964: Oscar Robertson scored 43 points and Royals (now Kings) teammate Jerry Lucas grabbed 40 rebounds* in a win over the 76ers, marking the only time in NBA history that teammates combined for a 40-40 game.
*Rare feat: Lucas is one of just four players with a 40-rebound game, joined by Nate Thurmond, Bill Russell (eight times) and Wilt Chamberlain (14). Wilt is the only one with his own 40-40 game, doing so eight times. Of course."

YahooAM Sports
bearister

*Kareem is Rockin' Sly Stone at Woodstock caliber 'burns.
bearister

J Brown TREY! OT!
HearstMining
bearister said:

*Kareem is Rockin' Sly Stone at Woodstock caliber 'burns.
The most beautiful shot in basketball. I've read that Kareem has tried to teach it to others with little success. For now, the whole mid-range offensive game has fallen out of fashion, so who knows if we'll ever see it again.
bearister
The ball was released from its apex so wouldn't blocking it be text book goaltending?
75bear
bearister said:

The ball was released from its apex so wouldn't blocking it be text book goaltending?
Moot point - it's unblockable.
HearstMining
75bear said:

bearister said:

Wilt got it a couple of times. Clarence "Tree" Johnson got it once at Harmon - 1969, I think.
stu
Often just changing a shot is as effective as blocking it.
bearister
HearstMining said:

75bear said:

bearister said:

Wilt got it a couple of times. Clarence "Tree" Johnson got it once at Harmon - 1969, I think.

The 1st "block" is a tough call, the 2nd one Kareem is throwing the ball down towards the hoop and is a textbook goal tend.

HearstMining
stu said:

Often just changing a shot is as effective as blocking it.
Agreed, but the best offensive players get off their shot even when covered as well as humanly possible, and it's generally by not changing their shot. They may jump, twist, pump, contort, but when it comes time to release, their shoulders are square (or in Kareem's case, probably orthogonal to the hoop) and their release is as pure as if they were standing flatfooted.
bearister
J Brown won Game # 2 as well. Tatum was dormat when the game was on the line and padded his stats when it was over.
bearister
calumnus
bearister said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/21/mavericks-cynt-marshall-first-black-woman-ceo-in-the-nba-on-success.html
bearister
bearister
J Brown Eastern Conference Finals MVP

bearister
Former NBA player Drew Gordon dies in car accident at age 33

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/40248394/former-nba-player-drew-gordon-dies-car-accident-age-33
bearister
"According to the Clackamas County Sheriff's Department, Gordon was driving a three-wheeled autocycle that crossed the center line and collided with a pickup truck in an unincorporated part of the county.

He died at the scene; the pickup driver and a passenger were transported to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. The report also noted that impairment does not appear to be a factor."
Merc News
bearister
sonofabear51
Wow!
Start Slowly and taper off
75bear
sonofabear51 said:

Wow!
Whoosh
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.