Courtside Observations.

1,267 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by calumnus
calfanz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I had the amazing opportunity to watch the game last night from courtside. It was a thrilling experience.

We lost the game, and yes it was super frustrating. We all understand this, and I won't pile on with my own "what-ifs"

Just a couple of observations-

With our thin squad, and Aimac having to deal with fasting on Ramadan, 4 wins in 4 days wasn't happening.

The team was completely gassed at the end….

After Aimac fouled out, we were pretty much hopeless

On the positive side-

Madsen is in the fold.
The players absolutely love him, and that will lead to …
Legit Rumors of top players coming along this off season

From conversations I had, I'd say it's less than a 5% chance Tyson returns.
Unknown about other attrition including Askew, Bowser and??

Life is a Journey, and if we support Madsen with our $$ and showing up to games, we will get there.
smh
> Aimac having to deal with fasting on Ramadan

dint know that, thanks calfanz.
KoreAmBear
Thanks for sharing this.

Yes, we literally shot our load in the first half. We were streaky all year. What Pac-12 game did we win comfortably? The only one I can think of is @ASU.

During his post-game presser Mad Dog said although the game result was disappointing, he was going to choose to focus on all the great things that happened this year. This is a simple thing, but as I think about it, this one statement is the reason why this guy is a special human being and a great leader of young men. Cronin, Fox, heck even Monty, would have just said how badly we played, try to be a little positive, and go home. Our guy focuses on the positive, right next to two guys who he depended on to win games, who may have felt like they let him down. Heck it was the time to say some harsh truths about an ugly world to give them a taste of what's to come. The players would have understood blowing such a big lead with only 15 mins to go. Nope, you don't let down the Mad Dog, he ain't gonna go there. Then Jaylon Tyson goes on to say this was the best time he ever had with players and coaching staff. This is a guy who can go pro who was all over the map. But found stability here.

I was waiting all year for the REAL Mad Dog to come out - throwing someone under the bus, or having a pity party, or something. I mean this guy can't be real, right? Nope, never happened. Damn, I'm getting a little verklempt.

The success is going to come. Word will get out (it already has) this is the guy you want to play for. Get ready for some fun, Haas of Pain crew.
Big C
calfanz said:

I had the amazing opportunity to watch the game last night from courtside. It was a thrilling experience.

We lost the game, and yes it was super frustrating. We all understand this, and I won't pile on with my own "what-ifs"

Just a couple of observations-

With our thin squad, and Aimac having to deal with fasting on Ramadan, 4 wins in 4 days wasn't happening.

The team was completely gassed at the end….

After Aimac fouled out, we were pretty much hopeless

On the positive side-

Madsen is in the fold.
The players absolutely love him, and that will lead to …
Legit Rumors of top players coming along this off season

From conversations I had, I'd say it's less than a 5% chance Tyson returns.
Unknown about other attrition including Askew, Bowser and??

Life is a Journey, and if we support Madsen with our $$ and showing up to games, we will get there.

There will be some housecleaning. Just go down the roster and you can see who's unlikely to return. Either you can contribute (or you're young with big upside) or "maybe you might want to consider other opportunities".
Johnfox
Something I noticed to

We had some bad misses to end the game (Cone missed free throw, Tyson missed layup, etc)

Aimaq fouls hurt us a lot as if he was in for the full game, we win.

Rebounding seemed to be an issue towards the end

stu
Johnfox said:

Something I noticed to

We had some bad misses to end the game (Cone missed free throw, Tyson missed layup, etc)

Aimaq fouls hurt us a lot as if he was in for the full game, we win.

Rebounding seemed to be an issue towards the end
I was furious when Tyson didn't dunk that ball but maybe by then his legs were dead.
Negabear3000
KoreAmBear said:

Thanks for sharing this.

Yes, we literally shot our load in the first half. We were streaky all year. What Pac-12 game did we win comfortably? The only one I can think of is @ASU.

During his post-game presser Mad Dog said although the game result was disappointing, he was going to choose to focus on all the great things that happened this year. This is a simple thing, but as I think about it, this one statement is reason why this guy is a special human being and a great leader of young men. Cronin, Fox, heck even Monty, would have just said how badly we played, try to be a little positive, and go home. Our guy focuses on the positive, right next to two guys who he depended on to win games, who may have felt like they let him down. Heck it was the time to say some harsh truths in an ugly world to give them taste of what's to come. Nope, you don't let down the Mad Dog, he ain't gonna go there. Then Jaylon Tyson goes on to say this was the best time he ever had with players and coaching staff. This is a guy who can go pro who was all over the map. But found stability here.

I was waiting all year for the REAL Mad Dog to come out - throwing someone under the bus, or having a pity party, or something. I mean this guy can't be real, right? Nope, never happened. Damn, I'm getting a little verklempt.

The success is going to come. Word will get out (it already has) this is the guy you want to play for. Get ready for some fun, Haas of Pain crew.
This would be amazing culture change for the sport, the entire athletic department, hell, the entire university, the likes of which hasn't been seen for years and maybe decades. The biggest athletic success stories of the last few decades (the aforementioned Monty, Tedford, Bozeman) brought their own version of storm clouds. Despite my username, I welcome a new era of positivity. Why not us? Who has a better story than Cal's Monster Mad Dog (The Former Furdie)?
calumnus
KoreAmBear said:

Thanks for sharing this.

During his post-game presser Mad Dog said although the game result was disappointing, he was going to choose to focus on all the great things that happened this year. This is a simple thing, but as I think about it, this one statement is the reason why this guy is a special human being and a great leader of young men. Cronin, Fox, heck even Monty, would have just said how badly we played, try to be a little positive, and go home. Our guy focuses on the positive, right next to two guys who he depended on to win games, who may have felt like they let him down. Heck it was the time to say some harsh truths about an ugly world to give them a taste of what's to come. The players would have understood blowing such a big lead with only 15 mins to go. Nope, you don't let down the Mad Dog, he ain't gonna go there. Then Jaylon Tyson goes on to say this was the best time he ever had with players and coaching staff. This is a guy who can go pro who was all over the map. But found stability here.

Great post my friend. It killed me when Knowlton used to say right up until the end that Mark Fox was doing it "the right way." He was doing it exactly the wrong way.

Mark Madsen is doing it the right way (though I don't want to hear it from Knowlton). His positivity is exactly what is needed, especially in the current era. Hopefully that attracts more top recruits our way.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.