Haase out

4,345 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Cal88
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I never like 'tarmac' firings

can't they wait till the next day?

Johnfox
Raynaud, Carlyle, and Stojakovic?????

I'd want Madsen to bring Maxime to Berkeley.
SBGold
Johnfox said:

Me too, especially Stojakovic.
SBGold
HoopDreams said:

Please not Kyle Smith
stu
Johnfox said:

Why would they leave? The next coach will almost certainly be an upgrade.
Johnfox
A lot of players are only at a school because of the coach (kind of like Aimaq, Tyson, etc.). Once their coach is fired, they leave no matter what. That's where I question if Maxime really liked Haase and is out of here not matter what. Maybe he wants to be in the NBA and be developed by Mark
ducky23
Johnfox said:

A lot of players are only at a school because of the coach (kind of like Aimaq, Tyson, etc.). Once their coach is fired, they leave no matter what

I feel like Stanford and to some extent cal, are sort of exceptions to that.
Civil Bear
SBGold said:

HoopDreams said:

Please not Kyle Smith
Yeah, the furd making the tourney every ten years or so would be unbearable. Besides, we've been told by Cal fans repeatedly that Smith wouldn't take the Cal job with the opening at Wasu, so I can only assume he'll end up at Udub.
barsad
I guess I'm missing something… what possible reason would any Stanford player have for leaving friends and teammates to come to Cal? What is the selling point here?
Raynaud in the NBA? Nope, nobody named Maxime is allowed in the league.
KoreAmBear
Haase of Pain.
KoreAmBear
barsad said:

I guess I'm missing something… what possible reason would any Stanford player have for leaving friends and teammates to come to Cal? What is the selling point here?
A lot of people like having both Furd and Cal degrees. Bienvenue, Raynaud.
calumnus
Civil Bear said:

SBGold said:

HoopDreams said:

Please not Kyle Smith
Yeah, the furd making the tourney every ten years or so would be unbearable. Besides, we've been told by Cal fans repeatedly that Smith wouldn't take the Cal job with the opening at Wasu, so I can only assume he'll end up at Udub.

Columbia 11-17 before Smith, he took them to 25-10.

USF 15-15 before Smith, he won 20 or more games ever year he was there.

WSU 11-21 before Smith, he has them at 24-8 having beaten Arizona twice and is still playing.

He loves the Bsy Area and despite what the Knowlton/Fox defenders said at the time would have gladly taken the higher paying Cal job instead if Knowlton hadn't initially indicated he was bringing Jones back. I could see him at Stanford or UW, but if WSU keeps winning he will get better offers.
RedlessWardrobe
I know this started out as a Haase thread but since it has transformed into a transfer recipient topic, I'm still crossing my fingers that Jordan Pope will be playing guard for the Cal Bears next season.
6956bear
RedlessWardrobe said:

I know this started out as a Haase thread but since it has transformed into a transfer recipient topic, I'm still crossing my fingers that Jordan Pope will be playing guard for the Cal Bears next season.
Pope is a very nice player. More of a scoring PG than a true PG but a good player. WSU HC Kyle Smith is a hot rumor for the Stanford opening. WSU has a couple of players of interest that most likely (probably definitely) won't be able to follow Smith to Stanford if he does get that job. Myles Rice and Jaylen Wells would look good. Wells is a really good 3 pt shooter and plays wing. Rice is a good and young PG. Had cancer that is in remission.
Alkiadt
calumnus said:

Civil Bear said:

SBGold said:

HoopDreams said:

Please not Kyle Smith

Columbia 11-17 before Smith, he took them to 25-10.

USF 15-15 before Smith, he won 20 or more games ever year he was there.

WSU 11-21 before Smith, he has them at 24-8 having beaten Arizona twice and is still playing.

He loves the Bsy Area and despite what the Knowlton/Fox defenders said at the time would have gladly taken the higher paying Cal job instead if Knowlton hadn't initially indicated he was bringing Jones back. I could see him at Stanford or UW, but if WSU keeps winning he will get better offers.

I'd be surprised at the Stanford angle until they change their Transfer/NIL stance (maybe they have?). Stanford will always have an academic advantage in recruiting.
UW seems more likely if they really want him.

And for all those stats he's never won a league title or coached in an NCAA tournament game.
Yes he's a good coach and this was a surprisingly great year.

wifeisafurd
Two cents:

NIL doesn't help Portal wise when you can't get a transfer admitted. Haase recruited well, and Furd can sell a seat at the ACC table, which is a big deal to any coach. Smith also coached in the Bay Area. Smith should have good offers, and if I was in Muir's shoes, I would already be putting a full court press on his agent.

BTW, time for Madsen to put on is big boy shoes - the ACC is full of really good coaches.

My bet is Haase was told he was NOT coming back a few weeks ago. I think it was a motivation for the team the last couple games against Cal. Almost wonder if they were allowing him to control the narrative like Shaw (Shaw was more mutual) by the way they announced it.
bipolarbear
KoreAmBear said:

barsad said:

Mais oui !
barsad
KoreAmBear said:

Isn't Raynaud a junior? How would he already have a Furd degree? Only senior I see on their squad with significant minutes who could be lured as a grad (Haas MBA is a good sell) is Angel.
I read that Zach Edey stayed at Purdue 4 years because NBA scouts have doubts about 7-footers like him (and Raynaud) who come in with limited athleticism. If Edey can't make it in the NBA (he'll try, I'm sure), then no chance for Raynaud.
Johnfox
Zach Edey cannot handle the ball or shoot the three. He is a traditional big. Raynaud can handle the ball and shoot the three. He is an NBA big. A year under Madsen and he can be a lottery pick
barsad
https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/college/article/maxmie-raynaud-victor-wembanyama-17864668.php

Maybe Wemby can get him in. I wish you were right and he can be a Cal star for a year, but not seeing it.
The guy wants to work for NASA, let's set him up with an astrophysics professor. A lot more useful than Madsen footwork tutorial.
wifeisafurd
barsad said:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/college/article/maxmie-raynaud-victor-wembanyama-17864668.php

Maybe Wemby can get him in. I wish you were right and he can be a Cal star for a year, but not seeing it.
The guy wants to work for NASA, let's set him up with an astrophysics professor. A lot more useful than Madsen footwork tutorial.
One problem is Cal has few masters programs. However, they do offer one in ... math, Raynaud's undergraduate major.
SBGold
Civil Bear said:

SBGold said:

HoopDreams said:

Please not Kyle Smith
dude, he went to WSU, they lost everyone in the palouse on that team, and he's rebuilt them and they will be in the tourney. Dude can coach and build
ducky23
barsad said:

KoreAmBear said:

Isn't Raynaud a junior? How would he already have a Furd degree? Only senior I see on their squad with significant minutes who could be lured as a grad (Haas MBA is a good sell) is Angel.
I read that Zach Edey stayed at Purdue 4 years because NBA scouts have doubts about 7-footers like him (and Raynaud) who come in with limited athleticism. If Edey can't make it in the NBA (he'll try, I'm sure), then no chance for Raynaud.

Juniors graduate all the time, especially at a place like furd where they give out degrees like participation trophies and orange slices.

I also think Ryanaud has more NBA upside than Edey. Centers like Edey (who existed in the 80's/90's) don't exist anymore. You've gotta be able to move and passably be able to guard the perimeter. In this era of basketball, you can't hide slow footed Centers on defense.
Cal88
KoreAmBear said:

barsad said:

He can play pro ball in France or Europe after he graduates, not sure if he will be around as a grad student. Then again he attended one of the top 5 high schools in France, not surprised that he majored in Maths at Furd, so he is not just focused on his basketball career.
bearister
HoopDreams said:

Well, you make exceptions, don't you?

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
HoopDreams
An interesting coach firing timing…

https://nypost.com/2024/03/17/sports/dan-monson-gets-fired-then-leads-long-beach-state-to-march-madness/amp/
calumnus
HoopDreams said:

https://nypost.com/2024/03/17/sports/dan-monson-gets-fired-then-leads-long-beach-state-to-march-madness/amp/

Lol, prior to conference tournament, two teams go on a losing streak and finish with a losing record: Cal extends their coach to 6 more years, Long Beach State fires their coach. Cal loses the next game. Long Beach State wins the conference tournament and makes the NCAA Tournament.

I think the lesson is: wait until the season is over before extending or firing, but in Long Beach State's case, I'm not sure. Hard to argue with results. Can they rehire him?
Eastern Oregon Bear
calumnus said:

HoopDreams said:

Lol, prior to conference tournament, two teams go on a losing streak and finish with a losing record: Cal extends their coach to 6 more years, Long Beach State fires their coach. Cal loses the next game. Long Beach State wins the conference tournament and makes the NCAA Tournament.

I think the lesson is: wait until the season is over before extending or firing, but in Long Beach State's case, I'm not sure. Hard to argue with results. Can they rehire him?

Looking at the big picture, Dan Monson has been at Long Beach State for 17 years and has a barely .500 record (275-272). This will be his second NCAA tournament appearance. Despite the late season surge, Monson has conclusively proven he's a mediocre coach. It's the right call for LBS to move on and get a new coach. As for Madsen, the jury is still out on him, but improving by 10 wins on a historically bad 3-29 season is a good start.
calumnus
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

calumnus said:

HoopDreams said:

Looking at the big picture, Dan Monson has been at Long Beach State for 17 years and has a barely .500 record (275-272). This will be his second NCAA tournament appearance. Despite the late season surge, Monson has conclusively proven he's a mediocre coach. It's the right call for LBS to move on and get a new coach. As for Madsen, the jury is still out on him, but improving by 10 wins on a historically bad 3-29 season is a good start.

It is a good start. Hopefully he can at least replicate it next year or better improve on it.
oskidunker
calumnus said:

HoopDreams said:

I am sure they can but wont. I tool The Beach to beat the mild cats in my pool. Why not? They lost to Oregon State, they can lose to TheBeach.
Go Bears!
HoopDreams
oskidunker said:

calumnus said:

HoopDreams said:

I am sure they can but wont. I tool The Beach to beat the mild cats in my pool. Why not? They lost to Oregon State, they can lose to TheBeach.
the funny thing is Long Beach's beach isn't as nice as many of the nearby beaches such as Manhattan and Newport
01Bear
HoopDreams said:

oskidunker said:

calumnus said:

HoopDreams said:

the funny thing is Long Beach's beach isn't as nice as many of the nearby beaches such as Manhattan and Newport

True, but I've had better luck fishing Long Beach than Newport or Manhattan Beach. I caught my biggest two corbinas off Long Beach.
Cal88
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

calumnus said:

HoopDreams said:

It's Long Beach State, why would they expect a program like that to make regular NCAA tourney appearances? Also for a mid-major the non-conference schedule is often more difficult than their regular season, as opposed to a P5 team where the OOC is easier overall than the conference schedule, so expectations of a record much better than .500 at LBSU might be unreasonable.
philbert

Big C

Decent chance Raynaud may be able to snag a degree from Furd, before he departs. In any event, "Berkeley" is known and respected in his native France, I can assure you.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.