Many teams have declined an Nit bid

1,597 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by bearister
oskidunker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Rumour is they are scrambling to find teams. Too bad we are not in the mix

Utah
Washington
Fucla, maybe at 16-17
Go Bears!
udaman1
$27,000 to play in the CBI. would we do it? its in florida, as well. Sounds delightful .
BearSD
Also declining NIT (and there will likely be others):
Indiana
Ole Miss
Pittsburgh
St. John's

Transfer portal opens tomorrow, many of these coaches want to get to work recruiting transfers. Players who want to transfer or declare for the NBA draft could opt out of NIT if their team accepts. Colorado's best player opted out of the NIT a couple of years ago, IIRC.
Strykur
Well not happening
KoreAmBear
udaman1 said:

$27,000 to play in the CBI. would we do it? its in florida, as well. Sounds delightful .
I'd say if we had a bunch of returnees it would be great experience. But likely 4 of our starters are leaving, so I don't think it's worth it. Have to gel with a whole new roster for next season.
calumnus
KoreAmBear said:

udaman1 said:

I'd say if we had a bunch of returnees it would be great experience. But likely 4 of our starters are leaving, so I don't think it's worth it. Have to gel with a whole new roster for next season.

Yep, better for Madsen to get started on building next year's roster ASAP.
OdontoBear66
What in the world happened in the selection committee this year. The second most powerful conference in the country gets 3 teams in and the seventh most powerful, just behind the Pac12, gets six team in (MWC)

NET strength of schedule has Seton Hall (33), St. John's (34), and Providence (36) OUT
Then SDSU (25), Boise St (51), Colorado St (60), Nevada (88) and Utah State (90) all IN

Crazy!
sandiegobears
You don't like it when Rick Pitino frowns and complains??? He shouldn't complain too much, his son's New Mexico team got in. What a career turn for RP 2, wonder if he's on the interview list for Stanfurd...
HoopDreams
Zero chance Stanford offers him
6956bear
BearSD said:

Indiana
Ole Miss
Pittsburgh
St. John's

Transfer portal opens tomorrow, many of these coaches want to get to work recruiting transfers. Players who want to transfer or declare for the NBA draft could opt out of NIT if their team accepts. Colorado's best player opted out of the NIT a couple of years ago, IIRC.
I think ultimately the NCAA tourney expands past 68 teams. Greg Sankey the SEC commissioner is pushing for it. With teams opting out of NIT due to transfer portal I think it likely happens at some point soon.

Has not happened yet, but I think Sankey will threaten with Tony Petitti to break these conferences away from the NCAA in Football and mens and womens hoops. These 2 conferences are very powerful. They have willing partners in Fox and ESPN and very strong programs in all these sports.

Nobody watches the NIT and rebuilding your roster via the portal is more important than playing in the NIT for these programs. Likely half of the players on each will be elsewhere next season. The carryover effect that once existed from playing some extra games this season no longer exists as rosters are rebuilt every year now.
Bobodeluxe
6956bear said:

BearSD said:

Indiana
Ole Miss
Pittsburgh
St. John's

I think ultimately the NCAA tourney expands past 68 teams. Greg Sankey the SEC commissioner is pushing for it. With teams opting out of NIT due to transfer portal I think it likely happens at some point soon.

Has not happened yet, but I think Sankey will threaten with Tony Petitti to break these conferences away from the NCAA in Football and mens and womens hoops. These 2 conferences are very powerful. They have willing partners in Fox and ESPN and very strong programs in all these sports.

Nobody watches the NIT and rebuilding your roster via the portal is more important than playing in the NIT for these programs. Likely half of the players on each will be elsewhere next season. The carryover effect that once existed from playing some extra games this season no longer exists as rosters are rebuilt every year now.
Double elimination, with buy-in option for well funded teams for a third and fourth try.
bearister
If we can talk the guy on the football board willing to contribute $40K towards a Joe Starkey statue into redirecting the funds to the NIT can we maybe get in then?

Perhaps offer a free hot dog and a sleeve of Titleists to the first 10,000 fans as a sweetener?
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.